Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Actually you would be better keeping the skysports pack as BT's picks wont include manutd v mancity or chelsea v manutd.
    they will include 3 to 4 good games which will either be manutd v everton/spurs and mancity v liverpool at christmas along with arsenal v manutd after christmas as their 4 really big games.
    up to you to decide once the list of games is published in july. I think BT's marketing spin has everyone confused that they will have much better games than they actually will have.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Actually you would be better keeping the skysports pack as BT's picks wont include manutd v mancity or chelsea v manutd.
    they will include 3 to 4 good games which will either be manutd v everton/spurs and mancity v liverpool at christmas along with arsenal v manutd after christmas as their 4 really big games.
    up to you to decide once the list of games is published in july. I think BT's marketing spin has everyone confused that they will have much better games than they actually will have.....
    Its the people that for the last few seasons didnt have setanta, who will now have to fork out extra each month for the same amount of games they had with sky/espn. There could be a lot of people saying enough is enough and cancel their sky sports subs because they cant afford the extra for setanta.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

snaps wrote: »
    Its the people that for the last few seasons didnt have setanta, who will now have to fork out extra each month for the same amount of games they had with sky/espn. There could be a lot of people saying enough is enough and cancel their sky sports subs because they cant afford the extra for setanta.

You could go to the pub and drink water for nothing....

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bazzajf

You are getting more games than you had previously with Sky/ESPN, don't forget the 33 games Setanta have for the 3pm Saturday rights, that is the only reason Setanta are still a going concern.

bazzajf wrote: »
    You are getting more games than you had previously with Sky/ESPN, don't forget the 33 games Setanta have for the 3pm Saturday rights, that is the only reason Setanta are still a going concern.

But not everyone had setanta along with their sky/espn sub. I know lots of people that dont or didnt have setanta the last few seasons, mainly because they were man united fans and man united were shown very little at 3pm on a saturday. What i am saying now, where they would have had espn thrown in with their sky sub, now they will have to pay extra each month to get those games back (Mainly saturday 17.30 kick offs).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

But not everyone had setanta along with their sky/espn sub. I know lots of people that dont or didnt have setanta the last few seasons, mainly because they were man united fans and man united were shown very little at 3pm on a saturday. What i am saying now, where they would have had espn thrown in with their sky sub, now they will have to pay extra each month to get those games back (Mainly saturday 17.30 kick offs).

BT's games are mainly Saturday 12.45pm. The 5:30pm KOs are back on Sky next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

icdg wrote: »
    BT's games are mainly Saturday 12.45pm. The 5:30pm KOs are back on Sky next season.

and from what I can gather they will be on skysports2 along with a lot of the other games with only supersunday games and MNF on SS1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

I wont be bothering subscribing to Setanta, I have half price Sky till next year and il cancel the sports and movies when the deal runs out.

I cant see many people subscribing to sky and setanta unless their Upc or Eircom customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

30 euro per month & I'll be pulling the plug on this pack, I'll stretch to 25 but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Manc-Red wrote: »
    30 euro per month & I'll be pulling the plug on this pack, I'll stretch to 25 but that's it.
    To be honest they would be an awful lot better leaving at at its current price (about €16.99) and making existing/current subscribers including those on UPC all pay the same. At that price it would actually be quiet a good deal and with added subscription/advertisement revenue they might actually go chasing Irish rights which sky currently hold.

I swear though without Setanta HD I won't subscribe at all, they have been messing now for far too long, Christ almighty there actually might be a chance that TV3/TG4 (FTA) might be broadcasing in HD on satellite before Setanta (Subscription Broadcaster).

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    To be honest they would be an awful lot better leaving at at its current price (about €16.99) and making existing/current subscribers including those on UPC all pay the same. At that price it would actually be quiet a good deal and with added subscription/advertisement revenue they might actually go chasing Irish rights which sky currently hold.

I swear though without Setanta HD I won't subscribe at all, they have been messing now for far too long, Christ almighty there actually might be a chance that TV3/TG4 (FTA) might be broadcasing in HD on satellite before Setanta (Subscription Broadcaster).

At 17 quid per month for Setanta surely BT is worth the same, if not more?

I can't see this coming in below 30, & that will be too much for the majority of folk here.

Also, It will be interesting to see what BS Setanta come out with about why their HD channel is not available on a package that has other channels available in HD now - It is completely gone beyond the joke now a channel of theirs is available in HD on cable for years & that they can't get it up onto satellite.

No more excuses from them now.

I do think we can all agree on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

There was someone from setanta on the radio earlier. I think I heard him say it will only be a few euros more expensive than the current price.

At 17 quid per month for Setanta surely BT is worth the same, if not more?

I can't see this coming in below 30, & that will be too much for the majority of folk here.

Also, It will be interesting to see what BS Setanta come out with about why their HD channel is not available on a package that has other channels available in HD now - It is completely gone beyond the joke now a channel of theirs is available in HD on cable for years & that they can't get it up onto satellite.

No more excuses from them now.

I do think we can all agree on that.
    Well no because Setanta was never worth €17 in the first place :). It really should have been FTV with its current sports portfolio because the vast majority of it was available in HD FTA. Granted though with the Setanta/BT partnership now in place is actually a very good sports subscription but in these days anything more then €17 would be counter productive because people will just go without it... they would be an awful lot better in keeping the subscription charge lower to draw in subscribers and claw that money back off the advertising revenue that will follow with these better rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

€20 would be my absolute limit. Any more and I'll pass

Well no because Setanta was never worth €17 in the first place :). It really should have been FTV with its current sports portfolio because the vast majority of it was available in HD FTA. Granted though with the Setanta/BT partnership now in place is actually a very good sports subscription but in these days anything more then €17 would be counter productive because people will just go without it... they would be an awful lot better in keeping the subscription charge lower to draw in subscribers and claw that money back off the advertising revenue that will follow with these better rights.

Touché :)

lertsnim wrote: »
    €20 would be my absolute limit. Any more and I'll pass
    That's the thing and I think most will be in the same boat or actually under that limit... If I was them I would go all and offer the channels at say €13-15 p/m maybe even as low as an €120 annual contract ... what they need is subscribers and if they can get people subscribing at even €10 p/m on an annual basis then it is a guaranteed income stream and more then likely people will keep rolling the the contract year on year. With a high monthly fee people will tend to cut subscription charges off very quickly (say at the end of the PL season) but with a lower fee people would say ah look its great value and its only €10 p/m.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Considering how much they deemed Setanta Ireland and Setanta Sports 1 to be worth I don't think it will be anyway near as low as that

That's the thing and I think most will be in the same boat or actually under that limit... If I was them I would go all and offer the channels at say €13-15 p/m maybe even as low as an €120 annual contract ... what they need is subscribers and if they can get people subscribing at even €10 p/m on an annual basis then it is a guaranteed income stream and more then likely people will keep rolling the the contract year on year. With a high monthly fee people will tend to cut subscription charges off very quickly (say at the end of the PL season) but with a lower fee people would say ah look its great value and its only €10 p/m.

If it comes in at under a score a month, I'll run naked round the park!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Boxnation will also be on the BT network.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

If it comes in at under a score a month, I'll run naked round the park!

I hope its more than a score. Nobody needs to see that.

• Advertisement

ureds wrote: »
    Boxnation will also be on the BT network.

Available on BT Vision in the UK as a premium channel you mean?

I hope its more than a score. Nobody needs to see that.

I was obviously joking, I just don't see this package under 20.

Hope I'm wrong.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Considering how much they deemed Setanta Ireland and Setanta Sports 1 to be worth I don't think it will be anyway near as low as that
    Don't worry it won't happen and that's the point i'm actually making... Setanta has failed in almost every single way possible in the Irish broadcasting market... everybody knew it was the 3pm Premier League games that kept the channel open... that's an awful indictment on how the channel is being run.

They have to use this golden opportunity to build for the future and ensure the channel can survive if they ever loose rights like this in the future. They are not sky sports and never will be sky sports so they have to run it differently to ensure they don't end up like they were up to this point.

As I said I fear for them in years to come if they use this as a short term gain exercise. They need subscribers of all shapes, sizes, poor and rich and the only way to do this (in my opinion) is to make us believe that Setanta is great value for what we get.... they actually need people to believe sky is a total rip off compared to themselves.

Michael Owen interview on Newstalk tonight from about 30 mins in

http://www.newstalk.ie/player/listen_back/10/2111/24th_June_2013_-_Off_The_Ball_Part_2

Only lightly touches on Setanta's deal with BT btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Will never subscribe to setanta again since they charged me twice due to a "typo" error, coincedentally the week they went into UK administration. But I suppose my money sitting in their account for a month helped get them over that bump in the road, but like I say a simple mistake and pure coincedence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Setanta need to go HD on satellite and keep the price below €20 a month. Then they will reel in loads of new customers.

Their current SD channels are like poor internet streams sometimes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

€20 per month for sky subscribers

Article rank 25 Jun 2013The Irish TimesEMMET MALONE
    Owen skips coaching to take BT Sport role

Michael Owen says he is working hard to get a grip on his new role behind a microphone for BT Sport having decided against going into coaching or management because of the commitment required.
    The former Liverpool, Manchester United and England striker was in Dublin yesterday for the announcement of Setanta’s tie up with BT Sport.
    Setanta here will carry 38 Premier League games each season, including 18 “first picks”, as well as well as games from European and other i nternational leagues and others sports; they will be available along with ESPN as part of a Setanta package.
    For Sky subscribers the new package is expected to cost €20 per month, up from €17, with details yet to be finalised for UPC customers.
    “I’ve started my (coaching) badges but when BT Sport came up, it really excited me,” said Owen. “You could go down the management route but it really rules your life and there are no days off. For 16 years solid, I played but I have four kids now and I just didn’t fancy that.”

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dricko_lim

Don't forget the an post gift card offer. Buy a €15 gift card and get three months free setanta.offer ends July 31st. I'm waiting to activate mine until then :D

ftakeith wrote: »
    €20 per month for sky subscribers
    For Sky subscribers the new package is expected to cost €20 per month, up from €17, with details yet to be finalised for UPC customers.

Note the word "Expected"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

Really hoping UPC can negotiate a deal with Setanta for this so it is included in the top tier package, just as ESPN was.

If UPC agreed to pay say €5pm to have the channels available to all top tier subscribers, surely Setanta would make more from it than trying to flog subscriptions individually at €20 per subscriber? I have my doubts that even 25% of UPC customers would subscribe for €20pm? They would also have a far higher potential viewer base which would increase advertising.

Didn't the ESPN deal work something like this, or was it just a lump sum paid over?

I can see something like this working, it would restore UPC's competitive advantage over Sky (remember, you had to subscribe to Sky sports to get ESPN thrown in, not with UPC).

I can see this also as a great commercial offering on Saorview also, €20 a month for their sports coverage via Saorview could be very tempting for many. May be significant upfront costs their though, may not get the economies of scale needed.

Advertisement