Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

muffler wrote: »
    BT Sport have a HD channel

They do but its poor too .
    The picture on the HD channel looked SD .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Irish Football Association have, according to latest reports, signed a deal with Sky for live coverage of Irish League matches from next season. What is interesting for this thread is that their negotiations with Eir Sport for coverage fell through. Personally I see absolutely no benefit in Eir Sport covering the Irish League as (and I admit i'm guessing here) the amount of subscribers to Eir sports in N. ireland could probably fit into a phonebox. I know of no one who receives Eir Sports north of the border which doesn't mean there aren't any but with subscribers here to both Sky and BT I guess there are very few to Eir Sports. There were some to Setanta when they had live rights to Celtic/Magners League including Ulster games but I really don't think there are many now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That's interesting in itself as Sky had a deal with the IFA before in which, Afaik they got the rights to the NIFL bundled in with NI internationals. But they weren't interested anymore once the UEFA central contracts for the European Qualifiers came in.

There are possibly some NI Premier/Eir Sports subscribers for GAA and ice hockey - there's a pro ice hockey franchise in Belfast which seemingly has enough of a support base to stay in business. It may be that the GAA fans may only sign up for the February - April period the league runs.

Eirsport is to broadcast 23 matches from the upcoming GAA football & hurling leagues. Some of them will be triple headers with 3 matches shown simultaneously. The Irish Times says in its piece that Eirsport 1, Eirsport 2 HD and Eirsport 2 SD will show these games. Didn't know that the SD & HD versions of Eirsport 2 could be separate entities. I have Eir broadband so have access to Eirsport 1 & 2. Theres no HD or SD version of Eirsport 2 in the guide. Maybe they are only available to those with the actual Eir TV service with the STB?

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/eir-sport-to-broadcast-saturday-league-triple-headers-1.2951007

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Saturday February 11th
    Dublin v Tipperary (H) Eir Sport 1, 5.0
    Dublin v Tyrone (F) Eir Sport 1
    Cork v Clare (H) Eir Sport 2 SD
    Kerry v Mayo (F) Eir Sport 2 HD

I think it is regrettable that the hurling games are on SD while the football game is on HD.

HD is almost necessary when trying to follow the sliotar at speed.

I must now check to see if I can get the SD channel .......

• Advertisement

Eirsport is to broadcast 23 matches from the upcoming GAA football & hurling leagues. Some of them will be triple headers with 3 matches shown simultaneously. The Irish Times says in its piece that Eirsport 1, Eirsport 2 HD and Eirsport 2 SD will show these games. Didn't know that the SD & HD versions of Eirsport 2 could be separate entities. I have Eir broadband so have access to Eirsport 1 & 2. Theres no HD or SD version of Eirsport 2 in the guide. Maybe they are only available to those with the actual Eir TV service with the STB?

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/eir-sport-to-broadcast-saturday-league-triple-headers-1.2951007

First time I've ever heard the words "triple header" to describe three matches shown simultaneously - to me it would mean three matches shown or played consecutively (the latter not itself an unknown occurance in intercounty GAA). Yeah it's kind of odd too for the SD and HD services to be used as seperate services in this instance. Eir Sport 2HD is on the Sky platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

icdg wrote: »
    First time I've ever heard the words "triple header" to describe three matches shown simultaneously - to me it would mean three matches shown or played consecutively (the latter not itself an unknown occurance in intercounty GAA). Yeah it's kind of odd too for the SD and HD services to be used as seperate services in this instance. Eir Sport 2HD is on the Sky platform.

I heard them refer to the tripleheaders, I just assumed that it meant a full afternoon of GAA. Odd choice to have them against each other, and even odder to throw the hurling match on SD..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Reported in Sindo that Eir are adding two extra sport channels, seems unnecessary given the National League only lasts for two months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

I think it is regrettable that the hurling games are on SD while the football game is on HD.

HD is almost necessary when trying to follow the sliotar at speed.

I must now check to see if I can get the SD channel .......

I've been watching Kilkenny, Tipp and others hit the sliotar at speed for years and never needed HD.

Reported in Sindo that Eir are adding two extra sport channels, seems unnecessary given the National League only lasts for two months.

Here's the story, seemingly the SD/HD split will only happen on satellite. The extra channels are apparently for Eir Vision customers only initially (and Vodafone???).

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Eir Sports 1 HD for satellite would be nice for those customers. Saw a game on the Eir Sport 1 SD channel yesterday and the picture quality was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

lertsnim wrote: »
    Eir Sports 1 HD for satellite would be nice for those customers. Saw a game on the Eir Sport 1 SD channel yesterday and the picture quality was awful.

Agreed. When Dundalk were playing in Europe it was a choice between eir sports 1 in SD with Irish commentary or BT 3 (or ESPN, can't remember) in HD but with British commentary. Picture quality won out each time...

It's interesting the way they are running it - they are running US-style pregame and post-game shows on Eir Sport 2 with the coverage split happening right before the match.

https://www.eirsport.ie/boxnation-joins-the-eir-sport-pack

BoxNation joins the Eir Sport pack.

In reality of course it's been available for Sky customers at least (on the QT!) since the day it joined the BT Sport pack in the U.K. It will join Eir Vision next Thursday.

As I alluded to in a different thread, there are actually two Box Nation channels - "BoxNation" is an SD linear channel which is joining the above packs. "BoxNation HD" is actually a seperate PPV service which afaik is not doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

"BoxNation HD" is actually a seperate PPV service which afaik is not doing so.

It's also available to regular BoxNation subscribers when it shows something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Could Virgin Media Ireland do a deal with BT for the the BT Sport channels since that they cant work out a deal with Eir?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭mike2084

mikeym wrote: »
    Could Virgin Media Ireland do a deal with BT for the the BT Sport channels since that they cant work out a deal with Eir?

Not until 2019 at least as eir holds the wholesale rights exclusively for Ireland until them AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Eir to show All Ireland Club Football/Hurling matches.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/huge-boost-for-club-championship-as-eir-sport-announces-deal-to-show-live-games-35558539.html
    Huge boost for Club Championship as eir Sport announces deal to show live games

The GAA football and hurling club Championships received a major boost today with the news that eir Sport will broadcast up to 30 live games this season.
    The broadcaster has secured a five-year deal that commences in May this year with early rounds in both codes to be screened as well as county finals and the latter stages of the Championships.
    Today’s announcement marks a significant increase in the GAA offering available through the eir Sport pack, which is already home to live coverage of the Allianz Leagues with 23 games shown this season.

Glen Killane MD of eir TV & Sport said: “Today’s announcement is a moment of immense pride for eir Sport. Our goal has been to show the live sport Irish fans want to see and this season we will show up to 30 AIB GAA Club Championship games which will significantly expand the number of games fans can watch on TV and mobile.
    "These are matches that haven’t previously been shown, and we are delighted to open them up to a wider audience. We will show some big clashes within the AIB GAA Club Championships while broadcasting from parts of the country that the cameras don’t often visit. This will bring eir Sport into the heart of communities all over the country, bringing local stories to life.

Eir Mobile and Meteor contract customers with packages costing ?35 or more are to get free access to the Eir Sport pack:

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/meteor-and-eir-mobile-customers-to-get-free-sports-app-1.3058560%3Fmode%3Damp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Eir Mobile and Meteor contract customers with packages costing ?35 or more are to get free access to the Eir Sport pack:

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/meteor-and-eir-mobile-customers-to-get-free-sports-app-1.3058560%3Fmode%3Damp

Is the app Chromecast compatible?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

OTT but why are eir keeping the meteor brand?

Elmo wrote: »
    OTT but why are eir keeping the meteor brand?
    I think it was a condition of the acquisition, the companies have to be kept separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Karsini wrote: »
    I think it was a condition of the acquisition, the companies have to be kept separate.

Wasn't it always an eir/eircom company?

The Cush wrote: »
    Wasn't it always an eir/eircom company?
    Nope, originally owned by Western Wireless in the US. Smart tried to buy them but couldn't cough up the funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Is the app Chromecast compatible?

And allow you to watch the sports channels on your TV for free ? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Karsini wrote: »
    Nope, originally owned by Western Wireless in the US. Smart tried to buy them but couldn't cough up the funds.

They also where unable to enter the mobile market for a number of years following Vodafone's acquisition of EirCell. I don't think they need to keep them separate considering 3's re-branded O2 straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Very much missed on cable, it's a shame a deal couldn't be reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

The European Football Show on BT Sport on a Sunday evening is being cancelled from next season. A real shame, as it was the only programme I actually watched on the network outside of live sport and was miles above the pundits they have on for their EPL or UCL coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Hyblaeus

Updated the eir sport app on my iPad today and to my surprise it is now Chromecast compatible!!
    Tried it on the tv and it works well, quick to switch between channels,but the quality isn't great but I presume that is my slow internet connection. Surprised eir has allowed this functionality.

Advertisement