Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

http://www.sportspromedia.com/magazine_features/eir_to_the_throne

Eir to the throne - Building an Irish legacy
    ProSports interview with Jon Florsheim, the managing director of Eir Consumer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,290 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Elmo wrote: »
    http://www.sportspromedia.com/magazine_features/eir_to_the_throne

Eir to the throne - Building an Irish legacy
    ProSports interview with Jon Florsheim, the managing director of Eir Consumer

Interesting article. From the sounds of it, Eir Sports are in it to win, be interesting to see how they expand over coming years.

One note of worry would be that the deal with BT runs until 2019. I assume they will extend it beyond that, but that would be a massive deal breaker if they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I wonder what eir will do about carriage on various platforms as the present arrangements come up for renewal.
    At present they use the Sky platform and show some content as FTV.

Unfortunately this is of no use to those who do not have a Sky card paired to a Sky HD STB.

In addition they stream the content which is available to eir customers free of charge ....... but only if they can install Silverlight on their PCs or receiving device.

Admittedly I am in a minority group in that I do not use a Sky STB (think they are cumbersome and useless for FTA use) and I do not use an OS on which I can install Silverlight.

It is quite frustrating being an eir customer and not being able to receive the sports channels.

I did attempt various things to try to get Silverlight running on my PC, but their limitation on a couple of device changes per month soon put a stop to that, as each attempt was counted as a new device!

So I am still searching for a reasonable means of receiving the sports channels that I should have. :(

(if anyone has a suggestion please PM me ;) )

Will they continue with the requirement for Sky hardware?
    Will they consider some other form of protection for their streamed content?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 kprichard

Eir Sport 1 needs to be on Saorview as a teaser TV channel for any expansion.

Eir Sport will be limited until that happens

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

looks like GAA are likely to make a 5 year deal with all of the current broadcasters.

I am surprise that Sky Sports was interested I thought it was purely trying to retain some customers after BT Sport started buying up rights. Also disappointed but sure its probably done what can you do.

RTE look likely to keep the lions share of the championship and their GAA GO deal with the GAA.

I wonder if TV3 was even at the negotiations this time round? It seems as if they have their hand full with Rugby and Soccer and UTV Ireland.

eir will retain League games, which is more surprising considering they aren't currently available on Virgin, and you'd think Vigrin would have used TV3 to start buying up eir sport rights.

TG4 will continue with there coverage.

Suppose its not all that surprising. 5 year deal is the most surprising and if TV3 were interested a disappointment for them.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-on-brink-of-55m-rights-deal-with-sky-sports-and-rt-35162069.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The GAA/Sky deal, announced in early April 2014, continues to draw criticism, with even local county councillors in Kerry and Galway tabling motions requesting the GAA to discontinue the link.
    Concerns have been expressed over large portions of communities who do not have the means to purchase access to subscription channels.

Significantly, however, attempts to derail the deal within the association failed at Congress in February, when just 15 per cent of delegates, among them Dublin, Kerry and Cork, voted to oppose any future deal with a pay-per-view channel.

This is a huge bone of contention with many.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Given that the NZ match is on Eir Sports 2, wonder what the most recent subscription figures published are?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It doesn't really matter so much as before whether Eir Sport 1 or 2 is used - Vodafone TV customers are the only ones that have Eir Sport 1 but not 2 included in their basic subscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

icdg wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter so much as before whether Eir Sport 1 or 2 is used - Vodafone TV customers are the only ones that have Eir Sport 1 but not 2 included in their basic subscriptions.

Can you get it and the BT channels if you subscribe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

True, but it would be ironic if our greatest-ever result was viewed by its lowest-ever audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

kprichard wrote: »
    Eir Sport 1 needs to be on Saorview as a teaser TV channel for any expansion.

Eir Sport will be limited until that happens

Actually, they could do with a third one, and have that as the teaser.

Eir Sport 2 is a relay of Premier Sports from the GB with some opt-outs (such as tonight).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,290 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Thank god it was on eir sports 2, the lack of HD on eir sports 1 really hurts the channel. Watching Dundalk in Europa League is tough going. I know BT have it on one of their HD channels, but you need the Irish commentary..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The match was also on BT Sports 2HD so I reckon Eir Sport 2 numbers took a big hit simply because Eir Sport 2 is further down the Sky channel list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

dulpit wrote: »
    Thank god it was on eir sports 2, the lack of HD on eir sports 1 really hurts the channel. Watching Dundalk in Europa League is tough going. I know BT have it on one of their HD channels, but you need the Irish commentary..

What platform are you watching eir sports 1 on ? I have it on Vodafone TV and both eir sports 1&2 are in HD. In fact, maybe its Vodafone, but I think the picture on eir sports 1 is superior to eir sports 2.

Presumably Sky, where there's never been a HD version of Eir Sport 1, though it's existed for a long time on other platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

icdg wrote: »
    Presumably Sky, where there's never been a HD version of Eir Sport 1, though it's existed for a long time on other platforms.

Strange, because Sky normally get their hands on HD first and make everyone else wait for the privilege.

Remember that Eir Sport has never been part of a Sky package - they deal with Sky only for access to the CAS and the EPG at commercial rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

galtee boy wrote: »
    Strange, because Sky normally get their hands on HD first and make everyone else wait for the privilege.

UPC paid Setanta to go HD so they got HD exclusivity for a while. Sky did that to get the amount of HD channels up when they were charging £15 a month for it!

To whatever extent that UPC might have had exclusivity over Setanta Ireland / Eir Sport 1 HD at some stage, it is certainly not the case now - indeed the channel is not on the platform at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Eircom need to launch an EirSport Lite FTA/FTV service on Saorview and the other platforms to broadcast such events as last night - if that game was FTA last night they would have got a huge audience.

Event taking notice of the quality of Advertisements before, HT & FT the game last night - they are potentially losing massive revenue being behind the paywall for such events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

irishfeen wrote: »
    Eircom need to launch an EirSport Lite FTA/FTV service on Saorview and the other platforms to broadcast such events as last night

Saorview Connect will be a possible option for channels like that, no transmission cost just an epg inclusion charge most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

The Cush wrote: »
    Saorview Connect will be a possible option for channels like that, no transmission cost just an epg inclusion charge most likely.
    I suppose it will all depend on where Eircom sees the future of the service - being FTA would also open up many more sporting events that they might look to broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

The Cush wrote: »

Future of TV if you ask me.

http://www.boxnation.com/boxing-news/

BoxNation joins BT Sport pack on U.K. platforms other than Virgin Media from January. Deal doesn't seem to cover ROI but obviously does mean new content on BT Sport 1 which Irish viewers will be able to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Eir will be showing Sutton versus AFC Wimbeldon and Barrow versus Rochdale this Saturday at 3pm.

Im sure the Irish Rochdale supporters club will be delighted :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

mikeym wrote: »
    Eir will be showing Sutton versus AFC Wimbeldon and Barrow versus Rochdale this Saturday at 3pm.

Im sure the Irish Rochdale supporters club will be delighted :rolleyes:

What do you want them to do? Show nothing at all? They are the only available games for television.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

lertsnim wrote: »
    What do you want them to do? Show nothing at all? They are the only available games for television.

Could Eir have picked Everton v Leicester City instead or were they stuck with The ones that they are showing this Saturday?

Can't see many wanting to watch the likes of Barrow and Sutton when there was better matches on at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Everton v Leicester isn't available for tv. Only the two games being shown on Eir are being shown anywhere at 3pm.

This site will show you what games are being shown and where.

http://liveonsat.com/los_soc_br_uk_irish_CUP.php

• Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The standard definition picture quality on BT has deteriorated again this season.
    Leicester and Chelsea is on now and its like a web stream ,an absolutely appalling picture .
    I switched over to Wolves and Aston Villa on Sky and it looks like HD compared to BT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The standard definition picture quality on BT has deteriorated again this season.
    BT Sport have a HD channel

Advertisement