Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Is their anyway to share the eirsport app to an xbox one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

Just wondering what everyone is paying for the Eir Sports package? (satellite connection only, no broadband)

On their site they've got €225 (12 month contract) or a monthly offer for €14.99 for the first two months then €25 after that.

Anyone getting a better deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Currently paying €13.99 a month. Just need to keep emailing back every two months (before your billing date) to cancel and they'll offer you somewhere around €14-€16 per month for two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

You don't need an active Sky subscription to do this either. Also you have the HD versions of these channels. If all the European rugby goes on to BT only it could be a good deal for a rugby fan.

I have Eir broadband and would like to get it on Sky box but have no subscription. I do have an old sky box that was previously used for multi room - I'm not very technically minded but are you saying if I plug the box in it should be working with no channels and I can ring with viewing card number and get BT added as the only channels on the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I have Eir broadband and would like to get it on Sky box but have no subscription. I do have an old sky box that was previously used for multi room - I'm not very technically minded but are you saying if I plug the box in it should be working with no channels and I can ring with viewing card number and get BT added as the only channels on the box?
    You will have free to air channels on the box regardless but the last time I looked then you can indeed get the Eir and BT sports channels once you have Eir broadband. You dont have to ring up unless you want to as all you have to do is first of all register your Eir account online if you havent already done so and then theres a follow up where you register the Sky viewing card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

muffler wrote: »
    You will have free to air channels on the box regardless but the last time I looked then you can indeed get the Eir and BT sports channels once you have Eir broadband. You dont have to ring up unless you want to as all you have to do is first of all register your Eir account online if you havent already done so and then theres a follow up where you register the Sky viewing card

Excellent - thanks very much.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/07/new-free-to-air-sports-channel-to-launch.html?m=1

Talk of Setanta launching a FTA sports channel (presumably some sort of cut down version of Premier Sports / Eir Sport 2) on the UK Freeview platform in September.

Interesting article in the Telegraph. There's been a change in BT's top brass. A debate within BT it seems over spending on sports rights. This could have ramifications for the renewal of FA Premier League rights when they come up for renewal in the Spring of next year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/08/05/bt-football-strategy-air-shock-substitution/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

No interest in their EPL rights. I only subscribe for their SerieA, Bundesliga & LOI games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Interesting article in the Telegraph. There's been a change in BT's top brass. A debate within BT it seems over spending on sports rights. This could have ramifications for the renewal of FA Premier League rights when they come up for renewal in the Spring of next year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/08/05/bt-football-strategy-air-shock-substitution/

We could see a crash in the price tv companies are prepared to pay for the soccer rights. I'd imagine these companies would still like premier league rights as they are the golden nugget for a lot of pay per view people.

I can see the Champions League going back to free to air in the UK for some games.

As for the Premier League will we see streaming only packages being offered, maybe follow your team?

With the likes of Amazon, Netflix and various broadband providers about you could have more competing but how much will they be willing to pay.

With the UK on the way out of Europe could they sell the rights to a single provider again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

We could see a crash in the price tv companies are prepared to pay for the soccer rights. I'd imagine these companies would still like premier league rights as they are the golden nugget for a lot of pay per view people.

I can see the Champions League going back to free to air in the UK for some games.

As for the Premier League will we see streaming only packages being offered, maybe follow your team?

With the likes of Amazon, Netflix and various broadband providers about you could have more competing but how much will they be willing to pay.

With the UK on the way out of Europe could they sell the rights to a single provider again?

BT and Sky will be blown out of the water when the rights for the next premier league contract come up......Streaming companies will outbid them.. That will kill Sky stone dead......

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    BT and Sky will be blown out of the water when the rights for the next premier league contract come up......Streaming companies will outbid them.. That will kill Sky stone dead......

Will it be worth the risk?
    Many streaming companies are still in their infancy. Unless they have big cash reserves they couldn't afford to pay out you would think.

A big worry for bidders is that what consumers want has become very fragmented.
    Some want to follow their own team only.
    Others want to watch just goals as they are scored - a version of Jeff Stelling and co. with the goals.
    Then there is the issue of illegal streaming threatening the tv audience.

It will be interesting to see if the packages on offer change from the traditional tv bundles and highlights programmes.
    You would think a streaming option of some form would be offered but what exactly could be offered and would country restrictions apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

ziggyman17 wrote: »

Streaming companies don't have the funds to take on Sky or BT Sport to bid for premier league
    These streaming companies don't have £5bn or more to bid for the rights

The last thing premier league wants is to go down the road of streaming rights for the UK/Ireland
    Premier league want streaming controlled very tight as it ends up been used illegally
    Streaming will be Sky Sport and BT Sports through the apps on mobile devices etc and Sky and Bt Sport website streaming on a PC/Laptop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

paulboland wrote: »
    Streaming companies don't have the funds to take on Sky or BT Sport to bid for premier league
    These streaming companies don't have £5bn or more to bid for the rights

The last thing premier league wants is to go down the road of streaming rights for the UK/Ireland

The likes of Amazon and Google have. Whether they'd want to stream football or not is another question though.

Amazon won the rights to stream the Thursday NFL games in the States so they are getting into the sports streaming market. Twitter streamed that package last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

The likes of Amazon and Google have. Whether they'd want to stream football or not is another question though.

Amazon won the rights to stream the Thursday NFL games in the States so they are getting into the sports streaming market. Twitter streamed that package last year.

That's USA totally different region and market with lot better internet providers bar a few exceptions.

UK/Ireland be to much overload on internet providers to cope with mass streaming of Premier League even with official streaming especially with the numbers who watch football in UK and Ireland

I like to watch my football in Full HD without any internet issues as in through Sky HD Box on my TV as in no need for internet

The last thing I want is having issues trying to watch a game because my internet provider cant cope due massive increase of streaming on-line during a match it wont make any difference if was through amazon servers if the internet provider cant cope on the day

Picture quality is most important when watching premier league games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

paulboland wrote: »
    That's USA totally different region and market with lot better internet providers bar a few exceptions.

UK/Ireland be to much overload on internet providers to cope with mass streaming of Premier League even with official streaming especially with the numbers who watch football in UK and Ireland

I like to watch my football in Full HD without any internet issues as in through Sky HD Box on my TV as in no need for internet

The last thing I want is having issues trying to watch a game because my internet provider cant cope due massive increase of streaming on-line during a match it wont make any difference if was through amazon servers if the internet provider cant cope on the day

Picture quality is most important when watching premier league games

I didn't say it was probable here or whether there'd be an appetite for fans to pay to watch games over the internet, I was just pointing out that there are companies out there who could in theory challenge Sky/BY that have buckets of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 johnner64

The Premier League have indicated that whoever wins the rights needs to be available on all platforms. So if a streaming company bought rights they would need to launch on satellite and cable.

johnner64 wrote: »
    The Premier League have indicated that whoever wins the rights needs to be available on all platforms. So if a streaming company bought rights they would need to launch on satellite and cable.

That would tie their hands especially if BT and Sky decided to do a behind closed doors deal to not push up the price.

The current prices for tv packages and player wages are not sustainable. Paying €220 million for a player is creating a dangerous bubble that could suck others in to compete. The Qatari backers of PSG could be on dodgy ground given how that country is facing sanctions by fellow Arab countries.

This whole thing could blow up very quickly.

That would tie their hands especially if BT and Sky decided to do a behind closed doors deal to not push up the price.

That would be a dangerous game to play and, leaving aside the fact that it's illegal, if another bidder got wind of it (these things happen) they'd know exactly what they needed to bid to win the most important sports rights in the UK.

NFL Thursday Night Football was mentioned earlier in the thread. Bare in mind what is being sold there - non exclusive streaming rights to a package that in the US is already all on NFL Network, half of the games are on a terrestrial station (really more because any NFL Network-only game where the local team is picked goes on terrestrial in that market), the rights exclude Canada cause the local TV rights holder kicked up a fuss, and the time zone is either overnight or during a working day in nearly all the other territories where American football is of any interest. In other words it's not an important package (and your mileage may vary as to the quality of the games included in that package!).

I cannot see the Premier League ever offering "follow your team" packages. Not least because PremPlus was ultimately a failure, but in the current context, because once it was established exactly what the relative viewer numbers for each team are, the pressure on the bigger teams in particular (from their shareholders as much as anyone else) to pull out of the Premier League's collective TV rights deal and sell their own rights would become immense. Once that did happen you are talking about the chances for the lower tier Premier League teams (particularly the ones based in very small markets and that have no international following to speak of) become very bad indeed - the already wide gulf within the Premier League itself would become unassailable (with a possibly resulting crisis for the FAPL as both fans and shareholders of the big clubs finally turn their eyes towards a European Super League).

Is it possible to pay eir just the monthly charge for the channels and cast them from the app (not have the broadband)?

• Advertisement

Not exactly.

What you can do, as a non-Eir Broadband customer, is pay the monthly charge and use Setanta Go, but you need to have a web browser capable of running Silverlight (in other words a PC/Mac - iOS/Android not supported). For a while Setanta allowed you to take only a Setanta Go subscription but Eir stopped that when they took over. They'll ask you for a Sky viewing card number now.

Non-Eir broadband customers dont get the app at all, it asks for a Eir account number which satellite customers don't have.

Ya they seem to have everything tied into the broadband. I am still on a contract with another provider. I will be free to move in a year's time when the Champions Cup rugby moves entirely to BT so it is an option then.

The way eir are buying up sports it is possible they will go after the pro14 as well though I think rte will be very keen to get some rugby back.

I can see Vodafone and others chasing these BT channels when they next come up. They are a huge draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Some news so far regarding the new Freesports Channel from Premier Sports & Setanta in UK.

- It's not expected to appear on Irish EPGs
    - Channel expected to be received in Ireland on Freeview (Subject to coverage), Freesat & Sky (other channels on Sky box)
    - Freeview channel number for Freesports will be 95
    - Sky UK EPG slot will be 424. Placed inbetween Chelsea TV HD & BT Sport ESPN HD
    - Virgin Media UK & Freesat EPG slots have yet to be finalized

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/08/freesports-planning-cable-and-satellite.html

Of course EPG 424 in ROI is Eir Sport 2 - aka Premier Sports.

icdg wrote: »
    Of course EPG 424 in ROI is Eir Sport 2 - aka Premier Sports.

Is there anything worthwhile on that channel?
    Seems to be just NRL repeats this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I signed up to Sky Sports for the Lions tour when it was half price. I've found that the BT package is, with the exception of soccerball, a much more compelling package all round. The fact that it comes with Eir is a bonus. I know I can save €10 per month on my broadband right now if I made a phone call, but it would mean I would lose Eir sports, and that's keeping me with them...

Canny move by Eir all round, seems to have been a success. Now if only they'd make Eir Sports 1 HD...

dulpit wrote: »
    I signed up to Sky Sports for the Lions tour when it was half price. I've found that the BT package is, with the exception of soccerball, a much more compelling package all round. The fact that it comes with Eir is a bonus. I know I can save €10 per month on my broadband right now if I made a phone call, but it would mean I would lose Eir sports, and that's keeping me with them...

Canny move by Eir all round, seems to have been a success. Now if only they'd make Eir Sports 1 HD...

It is a hit and miss service. I think eir's fibre price is now €50, gone up from €45. Vodafone is €40.
    Is the streaming of the eir/bt channels via chromecast in hd and is it a good quality?

You hear reports of pausing and poor quality re picture and sound. Plus I presume you can't record with it.

I am half way through contract with vodafone and an tempted to switch to eir at contract end.

Is there anything worthwhile on that channel?
    Seems to be just NRL repeats this weekend.

You can effectively divide Premier Sports content into three -

*NRL during the summer (targeting Australian/NZ ex pats)
    *NHL during the winter (targeting US/Canadian ex pats)
    *GAA - note though, that Eir Sport 2 carries only the League coverage and not the championship.

Their only other significant rights is NASCAR. They sometimes pick up various football stuff on a one of basis. Early rounds of the Champions and Europa League during the summer.

There's very little on the channel now that can be categorised as "Eir Sport 2" rather than "Premier Sports" content. It'll be used for the WRWC this Sunday - that wasn't the original intention but has had to be brought into play because Eir picked up the golf last minute. You'll see it used for overspill in this manner from time to time. Other than that you'll see it used for Champions League and Europa League group stage nights when Eir show more than one game at once and similarly for GAA League coverage (this goes out on Premier Sports in the U.K. too but is Eir Sport branded).

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Eir switched their League of Ireland live matches to eir sport 2 (rather than 1) in recent months. That's pretty much all I'm aware of that's eir sport 2 specific content as opposed to Premier sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I notice that when Eir Sports 2 is showing sports that have a Uk rights holder e.g. WRWC Premier Sports schedule has nothing being shown.

Advertisement