Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Agree with icdg on Netflix they won't enter the sports market for a while if at all, Amazon prime, Hulu etc will focus on programming previously available on cable networks with some original content.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

icdg wrote: »
    To be honest I don't think that's a market Netflix will get into, they are all about recorded content and have no experience doing live. They've also made clear that, now that they are available (almost) globally, they will want to do more global deals and sports rights holders won't play ball with that.

I agree that Netflix won't get involved with sport, but I do believe others will.

MLB (Major League Baseball) in the US has massive success with their online service and they now also run the NHL's online service. I could see them expanding to Europe. Alternatively ESPN might.
    The decision not to force through a deal seems fairly pig headed on both Eir and Virgins part.

I could easily be wrong but I would have assumed the way they handle subscriptions would go something like this. I pay Virgin 25 per month for EirSport/BT, Virgin take a small cut of say a fiver, and they hand the remaining 20 over to Eir. Don't both companies make money from a deal?

I suspect Eir wanted Virgin to make it a standard part of their TV and Broadband packages, rather then an add-on and thus forcing them to charge all customers more for TV and Broadband, even for people who aren't interested in sport.

What Eir has done is quiet sickening. They are offering it for "free" but they have in fact increased the price of broadband by at least €5 for all customers to pay for it, even people who don't want it! Not cool.

Remember Setantas viewing share is less then 1%, most people don't want or care about it. Making everyone pay for it is very sneaky by them IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

5 days until the start of the Premier League and still no sign of a highlights deal for Saturday night. Are Eir still bitter over losing the live rights and therefore see no reason to spend a relatively large amount on the highlights.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

bk wrote: »
    I agree that Netflix won't get involved with sport, but I do believe others will.

MLB (Major League Baseball) in the US has massive success with their online service and they now also run the NHL's online service. I could see them expanding to Europe. Alternatively ESPN might.

ESPN have been there, done that. They are not coming back, not while they have a long term deal with BT anyway.

The sports rights market is very different in the US. There is a much bigger emphasis on free to air. Exclusivity with one broadcast partner is virtually unheard of. ESPN is a basic tier channel, not a premium channel like Sky Sports or BT. The NFL has games on all four main terrestrial networks (even if ABC's contribution is one play off game a year) and ESPN. The streaming packages sold in the US tend to be "out of market" packages allowing hardcore fans to watch games that aren't broadcast in the area in which they live, and don't tend to cover anything sold to the networks for national broadcast.

And in some sports, if a game doesn't sell out, it can't be shown in TV in that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

And in some sports, if a game doesn't sell out, it can't be shown in TV in that area.

The NFL have stopped doing that now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Badabing wrote: »
    5 days until the start of the Premier League and still no sign of a highlights deal for Saturday night. Are Eir still bitter over losing the live rights and therefore see no reason to spend a relatively large amount on the highlights.

I suppose Eir Tv customers can watch the highlights on BBC1.

Same with Virgin Media and Sky viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

mikeym wrote: »
    I suppose Eir Tv customers can watch the highlights on BBC1.

Same with Virgin Media and Sky viewers.
    Still pretty danming that no Irish TV station has stood up and bid for them - the PL really seem to have burned the bridges with Setanta/Eirsport over the 3pm games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

How much were they going to cost? Surely more people would watch MOTD anyway.

lertsnim wrote: »
    How much were they going to cost? Surely more people would watch MOTD anyway.
    You would be amazed how many would watch it on FTA Irish TV (as in RTÉ, TV3) I would imagine especially if they could broadcast it about 8pm.

Costly part of it is commentary, editing and studio crews for the programming but using PL world commentators would probably let the show be made relatively cheap.

€1.3m a year apparently what RTÉ were previously paying - nowadays it would be significantly less i would imagine.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It's a pity RTE wouldn't bring it back and have something decent on Saturday nights as opposed to this constant cost cutting to the point where there's no longer anything worthwhile on the television.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    It's a pity RTE wouldn't bring it back and have something decent on Saturday nights as opposed to this constant cost cutting to the point where there's no longer anything worthwhile on the television.
    Problem is that you will get people ringing in radio stations complaining about RTÉ supporting "foreign games" ... They can't do right or wrong but id love to have it back on RTÉ too!

irishfeen wrote: »
    Problem is that you will get people ringing in radio stations complaining about RTÉ supporting "foreign games" ... They can't do right or wrong but id love to have it back on RTÉ too!

RTE should be able to provide coverage of local soccer. There are two issues with RTE. First RTE state that 7pm or 8pm slot on monday night didn't bring viewers to RTE2. This would be fine only rarely does RTE peak over 45,000 viewers between 7pm and 9pm, except for live sport.

I don't see why RTE can schedule Soccer Republic highlights and "foreign" highlights on Tuesday nights when they don't have Live coverage.

the second is their use of RTE NEWS NOW for sporting highlights programmes, why not schdule the show a 7pm on news now and a repeat on rte2 a 11pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Radio Gold

Good idea about a sporting show on News now , Soccer Republic is on far too late and last night was on at 11.40pm, OK I know the Olympics is on but it would make use of the News now channel and get better viewing numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

RTE show no interest or cash to watch Irish teams play rugby. Domestically or Internationally. I for one would not be happy if they shelled out for the rights to show a foreign football league.

BTW I do watch the EPL.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

premier league highlights scheduled for 9 saturday on eir sport 1

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Both legs of Dundalk FC vs. Legia Warsaw will be on BT Sport 3 - it'll be interesting if eir Sport provide any input on these broadcasts for BT Sport.

The games will also be FTA on RTÉ 2 (home) and TV3 (away) as per their broadcasting obligations.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    premier league highlights scheduled for 9 saturday on eir sport 1
    Very strange - no press release of a bit!

I wonder how if, given the listing is for Premier League Highlights rather than Premier League Central, if they are going with the syndicated PLP/IMG highlights show instead of producing their own?

Very strange - no press release of a bit!

yeah, i just check earlier out of interest & seen it. there's one on sunday night too at 10:30. neither series link though

I wonder how if, given the listing is for Premier League Highlights rather than Premier League Central, if they are going with the syndicated PLP/IMG highlights show instead of producing their own?
    Could very well be! Unless the PL offered them it for free until they sort out the rights proper.

Eir/Setanta could still be very pissed about the 3pm games and the cost of producing the highlights show.

• Advertisement

Just a note in respect of the above, when talking about Sports in the Broadcasting forum we have a rule that there's no discussion about anything that's actually happening on the field. That needs to be taken to the Soccer or other appropriate forum.

Just a note in respect of the above, when talking about Sports in the Broadcasting forum we have a rule that there's no discussion about anything that's actually happening on the field. That needs to be taken to the Soccer or other appropriate forum.

Though in fairness there would have to be something happening on the field to discuss wha wha wha!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Setanta Go used to allow people who didnt want a Tv Subscription to pay for access for Setanta Go but since the rebrand Eir dont seem to offer that anymore.

It would have been an option for the Virgin Media customers who are tied to a Virgin Media contract.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ESPN have been there, done that. They are not coming back, not while they have a long term deal with BT anyway.

Disney, owners of ESPN, have just yesterday bought a controlling share in MLB Tech for 1 Billion dollars! So I would say watch this space, very deep pockets involved here.

PL highlights is world feed type job, no studio.

On the sports streaming a new one launched in Germany, Austria & Switzerland called DAZN

Showing all serie a, LA liga and ligue 1. There's 200 pl games, bundesliga highlights.
    NFL, NBA, boxing, tennis and more

http://www.performgroup.com/news-and-insights/perform-revolutionises-live-sports-with-launch-of-dazn/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

batistuta9 wrote: »
    On the sports streaming a new one launched in Germany, Austria & Switzerland called DAZN

Showing all serie a, LA liga and ligue 1. There's 200 pl games, bundesliga highlights.
    NFL, NBA, boxing, tennis and more

http://www.performgroup.com/news-and-insights/perform-revolutionises-live-sports-with-launch-of-dazn/

Is that legal??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

They purchased the rights so why wouldn't it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

lertsnim wrote: »
    They purchased the rights so why wouldn't it be?

Just seems like a lot of sport for a little money is all

It's Germany, where pay TV is fairly weak in the first place owing to the extraordinarily large number of FTA channels they have and where Sky dominates what little pay TV they do have.

Also note that this service won't have live Bundesliga, which is with Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Sky lost the PL rights to the Perform Media group from next season, so the only way to see EL from next year through to 2019 will be through DAZN. Perform Media group are pretty big, they own Spox and Goal.com. So there is quite a bit of capital behind them.

Don't know if this will be a success, without live Bundesliga and Champions League they are not going to appeal to the majority of Germans. My sky sub is up at the end of this year, so I'll probably cancel it for DAZN. I haven't heard too much yet from this weekend, but some are saying that there is up to 90 seconds of a delay on the feed and there is some stuttering. Hopefully this is just down to it being so new and it improves.

Advertisement