Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

And the reverse is also true - Eir Sport 2 is off air when Premier Sports shows programmes that have an ROI rights holder.

Because of course, they are one and the same channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Here in NI we can get Eir Sports 1 and Premier but some sports on Eir Sports 1 are geo blocked due to rights issues eg. WRWC which is annoying as Eir Sports are covering live matches that ITV are not. Also last season Eir Sports (can't remember whether it was 1 or 2) showed Munster vs Maoris and viewers in NI couldn't watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

https://www.freesports.tv/

Freeview Ch:95
    Sky Ch:424
    Virgin Ch:TBC
    Freesat Ch:252
    TalkTalk Ch:95
    BT Ch:95

Not sure if the above was posted in the last few pages of this thread - I didn't see it.

It won't be on Sky EPG 424 in ROI, which is eir Sport 2. In fact it's unlikely to be on Sky ROI EPG at all.

While we've no news as to what actual sports it'll be broadcasting, the suspicion is that it'll be a cut down version of Premier Sports aka eir Sport 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Whatever it is it's going to be better than nothing at all. I'll become a fan of Belgian football and bowling.

• Advertisement

Whatever it is it's going to be better than nothing at all. I'll become a fan of Belgian football and bowling.

+1
    Once it is FTA I don't care what EPG it is on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

icdg wrote: »
    It won't be on Sky EPG 424 in ROI, which is eir Sport 2. In fact it's unlikely to be on Sky ROI EPG at all.

While we've no news as to what actual sports it'll be broadcasting, the suspicion is that it'll be a cut down version of Premier Sports aka eir Sport 2.
    I agree i don't think it will be on the Sky PEG in Ireland. The promo states that it will be added to 22 million homes and shows a list of UK TV Platforms it will be launching on. So the sings at the moment show no mention of a launch in the Republic Of Irelnd but having said that I'm happy to watch it through other channels on my Sky Box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Honestly, I'm game for FTA channels & all that but this new channel, surely we won't get any sport of premium quality on it will we?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

They're talking about football from Belgium, Portugal, Argentina plus the Copa Libertadores and Sudamericana, which currently are without a broadcaster.

Premier's main subscribers are for NHL, NRL, NASCAR and GAA (previously speedway too). So other sports - even football - will have played second fiddle on Premier as they will not have driven as many subscribers, apart from summer friendlies, European qualifiers and the ICC.

So there is logic to putting these additional rights onto a free channel, as a) they won't interfere with the sports driving Premier's subscriptions and b) these are sports that traditionally do well on free TV.

No announcements about the channels availability in Ireland. However, as 424 is EirSport 2 in Ireland and Freesports in the UK, it would be logical for Freesports to show up at 428 in Ireland as this is where Premier is in the Sky UK EPG.

Being a separate entity to EirSport should theoretically allow Freesports to appear on Virgin Media in Ireland, and so circumvent the disagreement between Virgin and Eir.

Except that EirSport own the Irish rights to all of the sports (bar GAA) which FreeSports are carrying (or at least advertising in that promo). They won't allow them to appear on the EPGs, if FreeSports were to go down that road.

They won't of course...because the same people are running both.

Incidentally the FreeSports promo includes at least one event (French Open tennis) that Eir Sport holds the Irish rights to but Premier Sports don't hold the UK rights. I know it's probably there to genetically represent the sport of tennis, but still.

• Advertisement

From a personal perspective I really do not care if any of the sports they show are 'popular'.

In fact I would appreciate a break from the seemingly blanket soccer coverage we are exposed to.

It would be nice to have access to 'minority sports' on this channel, with the odd soccer and GAA game thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Hyblaeus

Someone commented on their Facebook page asking, will freesports be available in the Republic of Ireland. They confirmed it will be available on Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This post from a Sky rep yesterday confirms that it wont be carried on the Sky platform here......at least not in the immediate future anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

muffler wrote: »
    This post from a Sky rep yesterday confirms that it wont be carried on the Sky platform here......at least not in the immediate future anyhow.

But could be added through other channels presumably.
    Does that have to be done on a one off basis or each time you want the channel?

One off basis. Usually, that is.

Thursday comes across as an unusual day to launch, perhaps as it's still August as sports channels tend to launch in this month - Setanta Ireland, ESPN and Setanta UK all did. I think Premier did also.

First day's schedule is now available...

0600 - Xiamen Marathon 2017
    0700 - The UK Challenge
    0730 - Swedish Speedway
    0930 - The Magic of the FA Cup
    1045 - Live - NRL Cowboys v Broncos
    1245 - The FA Classic Collection
    1315 - Skegness
    1415 - World of Free Sports
    1445 - The Magic of the FA Cup
    1600 - AC Milan Report
    1630 - The Story of the FA Cup
    1730 - The Story of the FA Cup
    1830 - Xiamen Marathon 2017
    1930 - On the Limit Sports
    2000 - NRL Cowboys v Broncos
    2200 - BVB World
    2300 - FIFA Football
    2330 - Barca TV

In other news, eirSport are to show two Donegal football quarter-finals and two Limerick hurling quarter-finals. They have just sent the following release out...

eir Sport will be in Donegal on Sunday, September 10th, to broadcast live coverage of two quarter finals in the county’s senior club football championship. It will be an historic first for Ireland’s only dedicated sports channel who announced it had won rights to broadcast from the AIB Club Football and Hurling Championships back in March.

The teams involved in the double header will be confirmed depending on the outcome of results this coming weekend but throw-in times of 2pm and 4pm have been scheduled.

The following Saturday, September 16th, will see eir Sport broadcast games from the club hurling championship for the first time. Two quarter finals from the Limerick championship will be live at 5pm and 7.45pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Dindane wrote: »
    In other news, eirSport are to show two Donegal football quarter-finals .
    Great choice. They certainly know their stuff wrt good Gaelic football and where it is played :)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭marco2068

as far as nascar rights go, free sport will be showing xfinity and truck series so no overlap with the top tier monster energy cup

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

I see the HD versions of the Eir Sports and BT Sports channels have been added free to Eir - certainly needed, giving the shocking picture quality of the SD versions!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

Anyone get a letter recently about the yearly subscription price increasing?
    I've been getting mine for a discounted €199, but it's now going up to the full €225 price once my contract is up for renewal which isn't until Aug 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Is there any chance BT Sport 4k will come to the Eir Sports package?

Probably not until and unless Eir offer a 4K TV package, though I’m not sure what other content there would be for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Channels not streaming again tonight!
    Bloody service.

EDIT - 2nd time I have had this issue. But restarting the phone works.

Big news this morning in the U.K. as Sky and BT reach a wholesale agreeement.

http://www.btplc.com/news/#/pressreleases/bt-and-sky-agree-supply-of-market-leading-tv-channels-on-each-others-platforms-2333663

While it’s not mentioned in the press release, the Eir Sport deal, which was renewed for the duration of this Premier League rights cycle, would presumably exclude this extending to Ireland at this stage.

However I would think that the chances of Eir being able to secure a renewal of that deal when it ends on 31st July 2019 have just dropped significantly, if BT are able to deal direct with Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭1641

icdg wrote: »
    Big news this morning in the U.K. as Sky and BT reach a wholesale agreeement.

While it’s not mentioned in the press release, the Eir Sport deal, which was renewed for the duration of this Premier League rights cycle, would presumably exclude this extending to Ireland at this stage.

However I would think that the chances of Eir being able to secure a renewal of that deal when it ends on 31st July 2019 have just dropped significantly, if BT are able to deal direct with Sky.

As the link up is not due to come into effect for customers until 2019, it should about coincide with the end of the current Eir deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Not a hope Eir will go out on their own thru pay tv, 3 pay tv subs just can’t work as customers don’t pay for it.

I bet you in Ireland we will see a Sky/BT/Eir sports pack at the one wholesale price. There just isn’t enough content on Eir without the BT deal.

Eir sport is so awkward to use for those of use who use FTA TV and have bad broadband connection, I rarely use it.

..... I will probably get FTTH just before Eir pull it! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Going by reports in Irishexaminer the Sky/BT Deal applies to UK only

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/irish-customers-miss-out-on-sky-bt-channel-share-deal-464588.html

• Advertisement

It’s pretty obvious though why it doesn’t apply to Ireland; BT cannot sign any deal with Sky for wholesale access in Ireland while the Eir Sport deal continues.

But after that deal comes to an end; well who knows...

Advertisement