Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst English accent?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Geordie, Seth Effrican and Kiwi make my ears bleed, but the one that produces the most blood is definitely the Kiwi one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Jordan5372 wrote: »
    I am from England, therefore pronounce my words correctly. There is no way Thunder and tunder sound the same, infact not even close.

If you could pronounce your 'th properly then you would see.

How do you pronounce "Oliver Cromwell"?

Ps. Folks, I'd advise you not to take elocution lessons from someone who once started a thread like this......
    There everywhere !

Hi All,

What is the story recently with all the cops being everywhere?

Every single time i go out i see at least two cop cars driving or sitting along a road, there pulling people over here there and every where.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Watched a documentary on Donk music - a type of dance music favoured in Northern England (think really fast unce unce, horrible stuff) anyway the accents of some of the lads in Wigan and Burnley was woeful. Made members of the esteemed Travelling community sound like they were educated at Eton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

brummytom wrote: »
    Most people don't actually know what the Brummie accent is, they get it confused with the Yamyam/Black Country accent. No one in Brum actually speaks like that!

The worst is Scouse, by far.

Yep. I used to live in Wolverhampton and work in Birmingham. Big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Yep. I used to live in Wolverhampton and work in Birmingham. Big difference.
    I was the opposite, lived in Brum, worked in Wolves. I remember being at work the week of the riots and two colleagues were discussing peoples' motivation for taking part in them. They decided, "It's just the way they am, ay it?"

Horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The irish accent is unbelievable, cant say one word correct. Let me give you some examples.

Three- Tree

Hammer- Hummer

van- vand

thunder- tunder

Bathroom- battroom

throat- troat

beat- bate

That would be the one uniform Irish accent that people in Cork, Dublin, Dundalk, Galway and Letterkenny all speak with ?! You know, the way Irish accents have absolutely no regional variation whatsoever ?

[/sarcasm]

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭parc

Arpa wrote: »
    I mean the country that speaks English as its main language. Was listening to the rugby commentators today and realised....Welsh sounds silly...got me thinking, are we so different?

The Irish accent you hear in Hollywoood is appalling(sometimes promulgated by Irish actors)....so what about the rest?

I'm talking about New Zealand, Wales, Oz, England, Scotland, South Africa, USA, Ireland, and any I've left out. Which country sounds the funniest and is perhaps the worst gramatically? (countries with English as a primary language, not India or somewhere similar...)

welsh is a great sounding accent I think. The ones that I dislike are the really american nasal one, especially on girls. there really is no redeeming factors to that accent

I dislike are the south african one. To a lesser extent aussie, but that's tolerable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'd have to say certain New England accents really make my teeth hurt. Think Loise Griffin on Family Guy or Marge Simpson.

I can't pronounce th properly.

Three - Free
    Thought - Fought
    Thread - Fread

tbh I couldn't give a sh1te. I know and you know what I'm trying to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Worst accent has to be Dundalk accent
    Turns me stomach especially when a girl talks from Dundalk

Funniest accent has to be the likes of swamp people (Cajun)
    Subtitles and all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭parc

Dejvice wrote: »
    Indeed many new ways to express we will do something.....

Example

'I'll do it for you now in a minute'

haha I said that to my english friend. he was like "you'll do it now? In a minute?"

I lolled and told him it's Irish thing. Got me thinking of those unique irish ways of saying things that you just don't notice yourself doing sometimes. Another one is "good luck"

"good luck for what?" I quite like them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The irish accent is unbelievable, cant say one word correct. Let me give you some examples.

Three- Tree

Hammer- Hummer

van- vand

thunder- tunder

Bathroom- battroom

throat- troat

beat- bate
    Who the fcuk calls a hammer a hummer and calls a van a vand? You may believe you speak proper English but I would suggest that you get your hearing checked

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭Dejvice

Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

I am from England, therefore pronounce my words correctly. There is no way Thunder and tunder sound the same, infact not even close.

Yeah well 'fifth' is pronounced 'fifth' not 'fith'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I hate the Boston accent too. So much so I couldn't watch The Departed.

That and the guy off the Liberty Insurance add.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Shut up you third.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I hate the Boston accent too. So much so I couldn't watch The Departed.

That and the guy off the Liberty Insurance add.
    I paaaaaaaaaahked the caaaaaaaaaaaah at Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahvard Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

North Dublin

the malahide north dublin accent or the dolphins barn south dublin accent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

You've grown up as an English speaker and have never noticed that most English speakers outside Ireland pronounce three and tree differently?

Lots of people within the republic pronounce them differently also. Sorry, I just had to say that, I hate people saying we all pronounce 'three' like 'tree', we don't.
    Daveysil15 wrote: »
    It's a silent h.

No it's not. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭Dejvice

Sorry, I just had to say that

:

Why apologise for giving your opinion in a polite way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

New Zealand/Australia doesn't really bother me too much. Neither does the Louisiana/Alabama accent, I actually kind of like those Southern accents. I love the Cockney accent too.

I gotta say though, Scouser grates on me a bit. I hate how throaty it is when they pronounce 'c' or 'k' sounds. It's horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I am from England, therefore pronounce my words correctly.

Fanks for the laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

What is the deal with so many on after hours liking the NI accent? I think it is absolutely vile. Far too loud, harsh and just grating to the senses in general. Worst accents have to be the NI accent, North Meath/ Louth accent - and abroad the Liverpool accent, Newcastle accent, Birmingham accent and Australian accent.

Most pleasant accents in my opinion are the Scottish accent, RP English accent and Southern US drawl accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

mikemac1 wrote: »

Welsh accent is gorgeous!

well you can have mine if you like it so much ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Drogheda has to be the funniest...

Giz a f*uckin paynhee Caalsbeg 'n a pakhe hee Tayho, hi.

Please give me a pint of Carlsberg and a packet of Tayto when you're free, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Rafa1977 wrote: »
    Dublin.

Jeez, which part?

Vile accents:
    Scouse
    Geordie
    Cabra
    Derry

That horrible fake South Dublin accent which makes every 'oh' sound 'ow'.

e.g. Road = Rowd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

My accent is London with a twinge of Donegal and lots of Donegal words. A mess I tells ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

New Zealand/Australia doesn't really bother me too much. Neither does the Louisiana/Alabama accent, I actually kind of like those Southern accents. I love the Cockney accent too.

I gotta say though, Scouser grates on me a bit. I hate how throaty it is when they pronounce 'c' or 'k' sounds. It's horrible.
    with scousers,it really depends on the individual as to how strong the accent is,perhaps woud prefer a warrington accent;warrington is in between manchester and liverpool and the best way to describe it woud be a smooth scouse accent,none of that flem coughup noise.

am not a fan of the hardcore plummy accent,its an entirely man made accent designed to sound of a higher class-its also the fact someone thinks by using it they become a better person,it has caused so much discrimination in this country towards people who have a more natural accent;for example speech to text programs for people with disabilities and an xbox product had issues recognising anything other than plummy and cockney, and countries such as america think the plummy accent is what we all speak if we dont speak 'cockney'.
    the cockney accent isnt bad if its softer and isnt filled with cockney ryhming slang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Talla

Advertisement