Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst English accent?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

As a Southerner anything north of Watford is horrible but Brum is just horrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

The Eastenders accent is awful. Or Dizzy Rascal and other British guys trying to be rappers is really annoying too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

North Dublin

Is that "northside" accent the same as the stereotypical Crumlin, Tallaght, Clondalkin southside accents.
    Those Clontarf folk and their awful northside accents

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

Jordan5372 wrote: »
    The irish accent is unbelievable, cant say one word correct. Let me give you some examples.

Three- Tree

Hammer- Hummer

van- vand

thunder- tunder

Bathroom- battroom

throat- troat

beat- bate

Have you seen Aoife from Axa on the TV? It's like she has made a conscious effort to omit the "th" sound from her communication. Wench.

The irish accent is unbelievable, cant say one word correct. Let me give you some examples.

Three- Tree

Hammer- Hummer

van- vand

thunder- tunder

Bathroom- battroom

throat- troat

beat- bate

They're basically all the same except for hummer, vand and bate. How is thunder pronounced differently to tunder? Or throat and troat? It's a silent h.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    They're basically all the same except for hummer, vand and bate. How is thunder pronounced differently to tunder? Or throat and troat? It's a silent h.

Plus who even pronounces van and hameer, vand and hummer?

They're not basically the same. It's crucial to have the "th" sound.

How is "thunder" pronounced differently to "tunder"? Are you serious? Say it aloud. The "h" is not silent.

Try "trough" and "through"...the ommission of the h changes the meaning completely.

Arpa wrote: »

They're not basically the same. It's crucial to have the "th" sound.

How is "thunder" pronounced differently to "tunder"? Are you serious? Say it aloud. The "h" is not silent.

Try "trough" and "through"...the ommission of the h changes the meaning completely.

I still don't see how there's so much emphasis on the h. Thunder, tunder... when I say both of them out loud they sound the same. But maybe I just have an odd Irish accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I still don't see how there's so much emphasis on the h. Thunder, tunder... when I say both of them out loud they sound the same. But maybe I just have an odd Irish accent.

They don't sound remotely the same.What kind of accent have you?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Three- Tree

Hammer- Hummer

van- vand

thunder- tunder

Bathroom- battroom

throat- troat

beat- bate

There are plenty of words in 'proper' English where letters are silent. I take it you have a problem with them, too?

Also, it must be a very specific regional accent that pronounces van 'vand' and hammer 'hummer'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Stephen Hawkings accent is the worst :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

You've grown up as an English speaker and have never noticed that most English speakers outside Ireland pronounce three and tree differently?

................................Wow. Do you live in the arse end of nowhere with no TV or radio? :confused:

There are plenty of words in 'proper' English where letters are silent. I take it you have a problem with them, too?

Also, it must be a very specific regional accent that pronounces van 'vand' and hammer 'hummer'.

Exactly, I have never heard those pronounciations anywhere. How is three pronounced differently to tree or 3? :confused:

Now I understand the "bate" one. A lot of Irish say that. "I'll bate ya" :pac:

But I just don't get the over emphasis on the h. It reminds me of that episode of Family Guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TTvHTxHX-Y

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Exactly, I have never heard those pronounciations anywhere. How is three pronounced differently to tree or 3? :confused:

Now I understand the "bate" one. A lot of Irish say that. "I'll bate ya" :pac:

But I just don't get the over emphasis on the h. It reminds me of that episode of Family Guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TTvHTxHX-Y

Its not the same issue! I think we may be getting near to solving one of the mysteries (and sources of amusement) of a certain forum which shall not be named.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

In England/Ingerland, yes, they do pronounce the 'th' in 'three'. In the south of the country at least. Same with thug/tug or the unfortunate third/turd

But then this is more a matter of dialect than accent. Irish people generally do not pronounce 'th' because it's not a feature of Gaeilge. Slating someone for being a product of this, and failing to adhere to supposedly 'correct' forms of English, is a bad case of cultural cringe

It's also nonsense when you listen to how actual English people speak. My pet hate is not Scouse or Brummie English (which are at least strong regional accents) but the whiny 'outer London' English that so prevalent in the south-east. Does anyone suggest that we should start using 'fing' or 'wiv'?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Jordan5372

I am from England, therefore pronounce my words correctly. There is no way Thunder and tunder sound the same, infact not even close.

If you could pronounce your 'th properly then you would see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

The really posh, Southern English one spoken among young people where all the sentences sound like a question. Drives me nutty.

That's the only one. The nicest is the Northern Irish one, the stronger the better.

There is a guy i work with who is Irish and he is prolongs his words, more than i have ever heard anyone before.

"but can this not worrrrrrrrrrrk, whhhhhhyyyyy?" makes me so mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I am from England, therefore pronounce my words correctly. There is no way Thunder and tunder sound the same, infact not even close.

Haha! Rubbish.

And yet a lot of English people don't pronounce the h at all in some words. Listen to them when they're going abroad. "We're goin on oliday." Or "I've lost my at" (supposed to be hat).

I'm not having a go at the British but I've always thought the Irish pronounced their words better.

• Advertisement

I'm not having a go at the British but I've always thought the Irish pronounced their words better.

LOL.... you sir have made my day! :D

LOL.... you sir have made my day! :D

And you have made mine with your hummer and vand.

Then we are both satisfied? have a good day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

UK sports commentators that can't pronounce their R's :rolleyes: surely they could get commentators that haven't got a speech impediment. What's with all the UK tv ads with fat men in leotards :rolleyes:

This seems to be turning into an English vs Irish thing. Wasn't my intention. We speak very differently in context but I was trying to get an insight into what is considered to be the best spoken English or the worst spoken English...from countries who English as an official language.

For me the Australian/New Zealand accent is grating. South African is close behind. But worst of all is the USA. Some parts are tolerable mainly because the country is so large. There are bound to be some nice accents. Most are awful. Strangely enough I love the Canadian accent. As for Nigeria...go home. That's not English.

Many people would say that the English speak the best English because they are English. I don't think it's as simple as that. The influences of other languages on English are too heavy (Latin/Saxon) to credit one nation as having the original language. In fact at the time of Chaucer, seen as a hero of the English canon, many Anglo Saxons spoke French.
    As for us, the Oirish...I have heard it been said that we speak the most beautiful English in the world. Perhaps because of our Gaelic tradition. When we had no word for "yes" or "no" we had to contrive a new way of expressing affirmation. Therefore our language became an amalgamation of Gaelic and English, giving rise to a fluid way of speaking. Hiberno English may be more poetic as a result as it has to negotiate more linguistic obstacles than Anglo Saxon English.

But I suppose originally I was asking who has the most fluid, poetic, lilting and pleasing timbre of English. I would vote for the Welsh...they have a lovely tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Reekwind wrote: »
    In England/Ingerland, yes, they do pronounce the 'th' in 'three'. In the south of the country at least. Same with thug/tug or the unfortunate third/turd

But then this is more a matter of dialect than accent. Irish people generally do not pronounce 'th' because it's not a feature of Gaeilge. Slating someone for being a product of this, and failing to adhere to supposedly 'correct' forms of English, is a bad case of cultural cringe

It's also nonsense when you listen to how actual English people speak. My pet hate is not Scouse or Brummie English (which are at least strong regional accents) but the whiny 'outer London' English that so prevalent in the south-east. Does anyone suggest that we should start using 'fing' or 'wiv'?

The "th" and the Irish is weird as its not consistent - T(h)ames becomes THames, Thailand comes Thighland etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

People who have no teeth and try to speak.. it's not pleasant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

What annoys me most is the way a lot of Irish use a soft t at the end of a word, eg.

It = ish
    But = bush
    What = whash

Another one is the old "th" argument. Th is a diphtong that should be pronounced differently to t. Is is also nowhere near the f -sound that is used in say London, eg. strength = stremf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

ah here, leave it out will yea,s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

The Geordie accent & the Dundalk accent both grate on my nerves. Can't take anyone with those accents seriously.

Advertisement