Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst English accent?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The worst English accent? I'm torn between Essex and Newcastle, err it has to be Newcastle, what a God awful accent.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Dejvice wrote: »
    1. Dubliner Uni undergraduates.
    2. Dubliner Uni graduates who then go to the states returning with even worse accents.
    3. Country kids who go to Uni in Dublin.
    4. Country kids who go to Uni in Dublin then go to the states returning with even worse accents.

Also accents where people use the word 'em....em....em.....em....em.....em.....em....em...em'.

People who say "uni" in Ireland

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Tim Westwood from BBC Radio 1 (he also had a stint on that MTV Pimp My Ride UK). Good God, that man's voice doth grate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

tdv123 wrote: »
    Harry Redknapp's one.

"well we were kicking the ball around"

ah fuck off

We wuz... innit!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Arpa wrote: »
    This seems to be turning into an English vs Irish thing. Wasn't my intention. We speak very differently in context but I was trying to get an insight into what is considered to be the best spoken English or the worst spoken English...from countries who English as an official language.

For me the Australian/New Zealand accent is grating. South African is close behind. But worst of all is the USA. Some parts are tolerable mainly because the country is so large. There are bound to be some nice accents. Most are awful. Strangely enough I love the Canadian accent. As for Nigeria...go home. That's not English.

Many people would say that the English speak the best English because they are English. I don't think it's as simple as that. The influences of other languages on English are too heavy (Latin/Saxon) to credit one nation as having the original language. In fact at the time of Chaucer, seen as a hero of the English canon, many Anglo Saxons spoke French.
    As for us, the Oirish...I have heard it been said that we speak the most beautiful English in the world. Perhaps because of our Gaelic tradition. When we had no word for "yes" or "no" we had to contrive a new way of expressing affirmation. Therefore our language became an amalgamation of Gaelic and English, giving rise to a fluid way of speaking. Hiberno English may be more poetic as a result as it has to negotiate more linguistic obstacles than Anglo Saxon English.

But I suppose originally I was asking who has the most fluid, poetic, lilting and pleasing timbre of English. I would vote for the Welsh...they have a lovely tone.

This is part of the AH guarantee.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

As for Nigeria...go home. That's not English.
    Naturally, proper English is only spoken by white people, right?

You are more than free to suggest which accent sounds most pleasing to your ear but suggesting that there is any single 'correct English' or that the English spoken by hundreds of millions in Africa and Asia is "not English" is nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Nigeria

Why so loud and aggressive? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the english accent itself is horrible they sound like whinging little @*&%^ the words get drawn out and go up and down in pitch uuuuugh

There is no "English" accent, just the one you hear Americans doing in films. The accents in England are very varied just as they are here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    People who say "uni" in Ireland

spot on, UNI, the one thing I hate about England....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭Dejvice

. Perhaps because of our Gaelic tradition. When we had no word for "yes" or "no" we had to contrive a new way of expressing affirmation.

Indeed many new ways to express we will do something.....

Example

'I'll do it for you now in a minute'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I will yeah = you were stupid to even think I would do it ;)

I’m after finding 10 EUR on the road!
    You’re after stepping in dog sh*t!
    Are you coming? I amn’t.
    The teacher was giving out to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The glasgow accent is horrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Are you coming? I amn’t.
    That's literal translation from Irish into English I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Are you coming? I amn’t.

Hiberno-English. Nothing incorrect about it - it's a dialect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Whatever Tony Cascarino's accent is, that's the one I HATE the most..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I mean the country that speaks English as it's main language.

Kenya

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Cockney. I f#ckin hate it.
    The way Ray Winstone says 'Now' in the bet in play ad makes me want to punch him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Jordan5372 wrote: »
    I am from England, therefore pronounce my words correctly. There is no way Thunder and tunder sound the same, infact not even close.

If you could pronounce your 'th properly then you would see.

First, there's no such thing as "correct" pronunciation of English.

Second, being from England is no guarantee of using the most commonly-accepted pronunciations of words.

I don't know why people get so hung up about people pronouncing words differently when they speak a language spoken all over the world by people with widely different accents.

If people understand what you're saying, who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,061 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Belfast and Manchester accents can't listen to Gary Neville on sky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Are you coming? I amn’t.

As long as someone doesn't say that to you in bed you'll be grand. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I don't hate any regional English accent but the toffee nosed up - themelves sort grate a little:) But then my accent is such a mixture of Scots/Irish who am I to pass judgement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Madam wrote: »
    I don't hate any regional English accent but the toffee nosed up - themelves sort grate a little:) But then my accent is such a mixture of Scots/Irish who am I to pass judgement!

Ohh interesting combo. Many would find that sexy. ;)

Hiberno-English. Nothing incorrect about it - it's a dialect.

So it's correct Hiberno-English.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Rasheed wrote: »
    Can't stand the Australian accent. Can't even watch Home and Away.

Tbf, I'd say that has little to do with the accent.
    flas wrote: »
    They speak afrikaans or what!vever its called in south africa....

That isn't English and it never was. It's a bastardised version of Dutch. It's class.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Madam wrote: »
    Scots Irish?
    Would that be kinda norn iron accent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Scots Irish?
    Would that be kinda norn iron accent?

No, more of Donegal/Lanarkshire kind of thing(much softer than the NI accent - I'm told:))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

So it's correct Hiberno-English.

It's Hiberno-English and a dialect of English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiberno_English

Here's some info.^^

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

FWVT wrote: »
    Another one is the old "th" argument. Th is a diphtong that should be pronounced differently to t. Is is also nowhere near the f -sound that is used in say London, eg. strength = stremf

that drives me nuts. living in south east england, you get these dopey ones every now and again that get a kick out of asking you to say 'fur-hee free'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

token101 wrote: »
    The Birmingham accent. It's ****ing horrific. If I spoke like Adrian Chiles I'd drink bleach.
    Most people don't actually know what the Brummie accent is, they get it confused with the Yamyam/Black Country accent. No one in Brum actually speaks like that!

The worst is Scouse, by far.

Advertisement