Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst English accent?

Options
  • 24-02-2013 4:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

I mean the country that speaks English as its main language. Was listening to the rugby commentators today and realised....Welsh sounds silly...got me thinking, are we so different?

The Irish accent you hear in Hollywoood is appalling(sometimes promulgated by Irish actors)....so what about the rest?

I'm talking about New Zealand, Wales, Oz, England, Scotland, South Africa, USA, Ireland, and any I've left out. Which country sounds the funniest and is perhaps the worst gramatically? (countries with English as a primary language, not India or somewhere similar...)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

English is an official language in India.

Just saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Can't stand the Australian accent. Can't even watch Home and Away.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

Where To wrote: »
    English is an official language in India.

Just saying.

I mean the country that speaks English as it's main language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Nigeria

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭flas

They speak afrikaans or what!vever its called in south africa....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Don't know which English accent is worst but know which is best.

The Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

The Birmingham accent. It's ****ing horrific. If I spoke like Adrian Chiles I'd drink bleach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Pikeys

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Arpa wrote: »

I mean the country that speaks English as it's main language.
    Better rule out Serf Afreeka so, it's only the 4th most spoken language there. Although its almost universally understood, even in areas that are Zulu or Afrikaans dominated.

token101 wrote: »
    The Birmingham accent. It's ****ing horrific. If I spoke like Adrian Chiles I'd drink bleach.

+1

The Brummie accent sounds like someone trying to speak with their mouth full. Bloody awful. East London accent is mank too. Not fond of Glasweigian either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Scouse, it's like a cross between Mancunian and how a pig would sound if it tried talking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

the english accent itself is horrible they sound like whinging little @*&%^ the words get drawn out and go up and down in pitch uuuuugh

scudzilla wrote: »
    Scouse, it's like a cross between Mancunian and how a pig would sound if it tried talking
    Scouse accent is actually a combination of the local Lancashire dialect mixed with Irish and Scottish, largely due to the massive immigration in Liverpool from both countries, especially from Ireland. Most Irish who went there in Famine times spoke Irish as their first language and had very little if any English. You can hear the influence of the Gaelic speaking people in the modern Scouse accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

North Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Scottish accent . ....

Well if you can call it English ...

And welsh accent .... Sounds like the persons being shook while they talk ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Harry Redknapp's one.

"well we were kicking the ball around"

ah fuck off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭Dejvice

1. Dubliner Uni undergraduates.
    2. Dubliner Uni graduates who then go to the states returning with even worse accents.
    3. Country kids who go to Uni in Dublin.
    4. Country kids who go to Uni in Dublin then go to the states returning with even worse accents.

Also accents where people use the word 'em....em....em.....em....em.....em.....em....em...em'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

Scouse, nothing else even comes close.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Dort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

The accent that pops into my head when a boardsie user posts 'ya' instead of 'you'.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The southern states, Alabama - Louisiana drawl is a pretty awful one too. No matter how intelligent the person that accent makes them sound like an inbred hick with barely two brain cells to rub together.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I remember watching a documentary on the teaching of creationism in schools in some southern US state. The teacher, himself a creationist, felt it was his duty to present both sides of the 'debate' and let his students decide for themselves.

As he explained the 'theory' of white-skinned people evolving from Africa, one of the students expressed their doubt, by pointing out that, contrasting with most Africans now, 'they'or dif'rint skeeeeee-un.'

I've never heard anything else quite so ignorant in my life, so I'll go for wherever that student was from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭Dejvice

...or 'listen mate'....'hey bud'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Either Birmingham, Cork, north Dublin or Coleraine accents for me. Hate the bloody lot of them. If I had one of them I'd have taken lessons to change it years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

I personally don't mind the brummie accent. Cannot stand the oz accent.

The worst tho- definitely the Louisiana/ Alabama accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

D4 accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Cajun accent, ridiculously difficult to understand

And welsh accent .... Sounds like the persons being shook while they talk ..

Welsh accent is gorgeous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Jordan5372

The irish accent is unbelievable, cant say one word correct. Let me give you some examples.

Three- Tree

Hammer- Hummer

van- vand

thunder- tunder

Bathroom- battroom

throat- troat

beat- bate

Advertisement