Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too fussy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

You wouldn't get half the judgementalism if it were someone who didn't want to date teetotalers or smokers.

Uh god you only want to date men, that is seriously limiting yourself lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭seenitall

eviltwin wrote: »
    I must have missed the memo on that. Or else my genes must be defective. :)

I certainly didn't end up with a man who is successful and who can provide for me but I'm no worse off for it :D

I don't know about this stuff being biological. If there is scientific proof, fair play.

However, ever more women in the West are completely financially independent, and this is a trend that has been going in only one direction for decades now.

Therefore ever more men are able to 'marry up', so to speak, and ever more women have been having to 'marry down', (I put it in italics, as it's going against traditional social norms; I of course think the increasing financial parity between genders, with whatever consequences it brings, is a good thing).

So, to cut a long story short, I think many men are looking for wealth/money/financial savy and good standing in a woman these days, as well.

There was a guy recently in RI who seemed completely knocked for six when his girlfriend told him she wanted to be a housewife and a SAHM when they marry. He wanted advice on how to deal with her expectations because he never even envisaged he'd be the sole bread-winner.

Ok, the above is kind of an extreme example, but I have heard men say they would be looking for a woman with a good job. It's normal these days.

So where would biology fit into that?

I think it's more of a case of a disenfranchised gender not having much choice in the past but to 'latch on', so to speak, on to the partner's resources. As things are changing regarding this situation, we are seeing that pragmatic considerations such as this when choosing a partner, are not strictly the preserve of one gender.

HTML5! wrote: »
    A preference such as a physical trait is fine. To disregard someone because of that off the bat is just shallow. This is a fact. And yes they have a right to be shallow.

To not consider someone because they're not studying something you want to is utter stupidity. I wouldn't even dignify that by calling it shallow. Again, the person has every right.

Yes, the person has every right, and you have every right to think of that what you will, and I have every right to think of you for your opinion what I will. We've established all that pretty firmly on this thread already, I'd say. :)

What's more interesting to me is how you can claim so confidently that someone's relationship will be unhealthy because they like dark-haired men or IT geeks so darn much, that they have in fact set their heart on finding themselves a dark-haired guy/an IT geek.

That is quite a leap. An amusing one, I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Everyone has different preferences but for me are the most important ones that impact your everyday life long therm. Religious views are not important as long as they don't impact your life in a way that makes you uncomfortable. Level of education doesn't realy matter if the person is not an idiot. Dating smoker is not a problem if you are not revolted by smoking... Preferences don't overly matter when you click with someone. But when you don't connect at the beginning then every little thing can be a deal breaker. And thank god we don't like the same things or most if us would have no chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

You wouldn't get half the judgementalism if it were someone who didn't want to date teetotalers or smokers.

Uh god you only want to date men, that is seriously limiting yourself lady.
    seenitall wrote: »
    People who think other people are snobbish for having preferences for themselves... that's being judgmental.

The title of this thread is "Too fussy". The OP put down education as something on her 'list'. Now people are telling her that she is, in effect, being too fussy by putting it on her list, and this is somehow being seen as judgmental? We were asked to judge whether or not she is being too fussy!

• Advertisement

beks101 wrote: »
    The education thing is just something that may linger in the background as a possible indicator that you may have something in common with someone, just like religious or political views may indicate the same.

Is it unreasonable to have that as an interest, as something that attracts you to someone else because of the shared value it indicates? Each to their own I say.

But the broader point is that education is not necessarily an indicator of a 'shared value'. Being a practicing Catholic or Jew or Buddhist signals a clear set of values: if someone said that they were an Orthodox Jew, you can be pretty sure that they have specific views on family, keeping kosher, etc. without any further conversation. Political views also carry an implicit set of values: if someone said that they were a libertarian, I would know that they have a certain set of views on the role of the state in society; if someone said that they were a Republican 'values voter', I would instantly know how they felt about abortion and gays.

If someone says 'I have a degree', it doesn't tell me anything about if they actually value education, if they are intellectually curious, or even if they are intelligent. It just means that they have a degree.

The title of this thread is "Too fussy". The OP put down education as something on her 'list'. Now people are telling her that she is, in effect, being too fussy by putting it on her list, and this is somehow being seen as judgmental? We were asked to judge whether or not she is being too fussy!

Correct. We can all express our opinions on this thread. There are a few people who think the OP/others like her are being too fussy, or too shallow, or too snobbish with their checklists or preferences, and there are others who disagree. I disagree pretty strongly with judging the OP as too fussy etc. so IMO the people judging her thus are being a tad judgmental. :)

Surely not all that controversial for a TLL thread?

But the broader point is that education is not necessarily an indicator of a 'shared value'. Being a practicing Catholic or Jew or Buddhist signals a clear set of values: if someone said that they were an Orthodox Jew, you can be pretty sure that they have specific views on family, keeping kosher, etc. without any further conversation. Political views also carry an implicit set of values: if someone said that they were a libertarian, I would know that they have a certain set of views on the role of the state in society; if someone said that they were a Republican 'values voter', I would instantly know how they felt about abortion and gays.

If someone says 'I have a degree', it doesn't tell me anything about if they actually value education, if they are intellectually curious, or even if they are intelligent. It just means that they have a degree.

I know so many individual cases that violate the expectations of those classifications, I wouldn't even assume those values any more.

And saying "I want someone with a degree" doesn't tell you anything about that person either, other than they want someone with a degree, and yet people seem to know her, know what she needs, that she's a snob, and feel quite free to start telling her how to live. She asked for her criteria to be assessed, not for her personhood to be evaluated and judged. And then it turned into hell why don't we judge everybody who wants someone with a degree, because let's just assume people are all the same.

And saying "I want someone with a degree" doesn't tell you anything about that person either, other than they want someone with a degree, and yet people seem to know her, know what she needs, that she's a snob, and feel quite free to start telling her how to live. She asked for her criteria to be assessed, not for her personhood to be evaluated and judged. And then it turned into hell why don't we judge everybody who wants someone with a degree, because let's just assume people are all the same.

Who said anything about judging the OP as an individual or about telling her how to live? She wants to be in a relationship, presented a checklist, and asked if she was being too picky. People are telling her yes, and giving reasons why. If she didn't want her list to be judged, then why put it out there? This isn't an affirmation board, it's a discussion board, and given that we were asked to judge a specific set of criteria, I find the pearl clutching in reaction to 'judgemental' posts to be more than a wee bit over the top.

Who said anything about judging the OP as an individual or about telling her how to live? She wants to be in a relationship, presented a checklist, and asked if she was being too picky. People are telling her yes, and giving reasons why. If she didn't want her list to be judged, then why put it out there? This isn't an affirmation board, it's a discussion board, and given that we were asked to judge a specific set of criteria, I find the pearl clutching in reaction to 'judgemental' posts to be more than a wee bit over the top.

Ok, well we see it differently.

I don't know what you mean by "pearl clutching." I haven't come across that phrase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Which means an investment of their time, energy, life and money in third level education.

Obviously that could mean Daddy paid their way and they sat at home all day smoking weed and watching box sets until exam season. But you can generally weed those ones out fairly swiftly! (pardoning the pun)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

To be honest, I think a lot of women aren't fussy enough. Could apply to me in the past too. You learn to be more fussy as you go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

fits wrote: »
    To be honest, I think a lot of women aren't fussy enough. Could apply to me in the past too. You learn to be more fussy as you go on.

The result largely being that there is a 'crunch period' around the late twenties and thirties, where there a 'stalemate' of sorts between the sexes. Women are afraid of picking the 'wrong guy' (whatever that is), and men get frustrated and look for someone younger and less 'fussy'. :)

riveratom wrote: »
    men get frustrated and look for someone younger and less 'fussy'. :)

This cuts both ways. The younger guys I meet out and about these days seem to be much more interesting, laid back, open and all-round attention-worthy for any woman, than the older ones, who I find to be more critical, more cynical, and less open to new experiences in general. :)

I know it's a wild generalisation, but it also stands to logic in both genders. The more relationship fails or outright disasters (AKA experience, which comes with age) you've accumulated, the 'fussier' you get; and it can be a very good thing too, according to one's individual needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Therefore ever more men are able to 'marry up', so to speak, and ever more women have been having to 'marry down', (I put it in italics, as it's going against traditional social norms; I of course think the increasing financial parity between genders, with whatever consequences it brings, is a good thing).
    So, to cut a long story short, I think many men are looking for wealth/money/financial savy and good standing in a woman these days, as well.
    Ok, the above is kind of an extreme example, but I have heard men say they would be looking for a woman with a good job. It's normal these days.
    From a Man's points of view, I've never heard a man looking for a woman with a good job/plenty of money. Personally I would only be looking for a woman who isn't swamped by debt/really bad with money.

The only time I hear another man mention his girlfriends/wife's job is in answer to the question, "what does she do?". And it never really goes any further than that in conversation. Men marry women who earn more than them. But I've never heard of a man actively looking for a woman who earns more than them.

From a Man's points of view, I've never heard a man looking for a woman with a good job/plenty of money.

Well, I have.

I haven't said that most men, or you, would be looking for these things in a woman, but of course there are men out there that do; and why wouldn't there be?

I think it's a reasonable expectation for a man to have these days (the 'good job' bit; 'plenty of money' may not be as realistic, but that is, again, not particularly gender specific).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

From a Man's points of view, I've never heard a man looking for a woman with a good job/plenty of money. Personally I would only be looking for a woman who isn't swamped by debt/really bad with money.

The only time I hear another man mention his girlfriends/wife's job is in answer to the question, "what does she do?". And it never really goes any further than that in conversation. Men marry women who earn more than them. But I've never heard of a man actively looking for a woman who earns more than them.

If my friends were waiting to marry a man who earns more than them, few of them would be married.

Actually few of them are married but that's mostly because they're not that bothered about it, not because its not an option.

Times have moved on, we've got our own money now dear. But we still look for a partner with ambition and intelligence because those traits are admirable in anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

From a Man's points of view, I've never heard a man looking for a woman with a good job/plenty of money.

Really? I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

No seriously, I've never heard any of my male friends list good job/good earnings/financially comfortable as a trait that they would look for.

All that is usually said when they do go on a date/start a relationship is what their job is and if their happy in that job.

I'm not saying there aren't men out there who look for a good job/plenty of money it's just I've never come across it.

Maybe the "man as the provider" stereotype means that they would be less comfortable in sharing this opinion with another man for fear of judgement.

This cuts both ways. The younger guys I meet out and about these days seem to be much more interesting, laid back, open and all-round attention-worthy for any woman, than the older ones, who I find to be more critical, more cynical, and less open to new experiences in general. :)

I know it's a wild generalisation, but it also stands to logic in both genders. The more relationship fails or outright disasters (AKA experience, which comes with age) you've accumulated, the 'fussier' you get; and it can be a very good thing too, according to one's individual needs.

It's definitely a massive generalisation as I'm early 30s and know I don't match up with that description. Also, not everyone has had that many relationships over the course of their 20s or 30s, let alone bad ones.

My theory, as I mentioned above, is that it works much more this way for girls than guys. If you're a girl in your late 20s or 30s and you want marriage/family, then you probably feel there is a lot more 'risk' going into a relationship with someone and it not working out. So, the result is that women in this age group probably set 'the bar' a bit higher. A girl in her mid-20s might go with the flow a lot more and decide to just see where it goes.

I'm reminded of a date I went on last summer with a girl I met at a dating event. We had gotten on really well on the night and arranged to meet a week or so later. It went more like an interview than a date and all that was missing really was one of those big lamps you see at interrogations :)

• Advertisement

Making lists doesn't seem to be what guys do in the first place.

I find it incredible that anyone would make a list, instead of taking someone at face value and keeping an open mind as to what you might really like in someone.

My theory, as I mentioned above, is that it works much more this way for girls than guys. If you're a girl in your late 20s or 30s and you want marriage/family, then you probably feel there is a lot more 'risk' going into a relationship with someone and it not working out. So, the result is that women in this age group probably set 'the bar' a bit higher. A girl in her mid-20s might go with the flow a lot more and decide to just see where it goes.

I'm not the only one here massively generalising, though. :)

As I said in my earlier post, it doesn't work much more for girls than guys, it works both ways equally. Men may not be as cautious as women, but they do get more jaded as they age. I never said you were one of those men.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Neither do women I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I fell hook line and sinker for my boyfriend the first night we met. I don't even know how it happened! I wasn't looking for a partner, I wasn't supposed to be in that particular place, I didn't even find him attractive at first (well I wasn't really thinking about it either). But as the night developed, I realised that I was more comfortable in his presence than anyone I'd ever met, and I suddenly thought he was the biggest fine thing I'd ever seen! Moved in together after six months and five years later we are expecting our first child and are as crazy about each other as we were at the beginning. We don't share the same hobbies (although we have the enthusiasm to try!), have very different personalities but we would do anything for each other and the big thing for me, and both of us I'd say, is that we don't have to censor ourselves in any way. I could say or do anything in front of him and he wouldn't love me any less and vice versa. I'm not saying it didn't take work. If you are going to live with someone and share your life, you will have to compromise in some if not many ways.

To be honest, I'd say most people would know if they were interested in someone within one conversation. You either feel it or you don't. And after that, you'll solve any problems if the relationship is worth it.

I'm not the only one here massively generalising, though. :)

As I said in my earlier post, it doesn't work much more for girls than guys, it works both ways equally. Men may not be as cautious as women, but they do get more jaded as they age. I never said you were one of those men.

I know you didn't, I was just using myself as an example to highlight the generalisation - which you already knew about :)

I think you are talking about something else here though. I'm not referring to people getting more cynical or wary as they get older. I'm saying that all else being equal, women are more likely fussier than men because they have more to lose.

I'm saying that all else being equal, women are more likely fussier than men because they have more to lose.

Hmmm. Perhaps, although, as you must know, having more to lose is very far from being the only reason people are 'fussy'.

What I am saying is that younger men are every bit more likely to 'go with the flow more and see where it goes' than the older ones, as is the case with women.

Hmmm. Perhaps, although, as you must know, having more to lose is very far from being the only reason people are 'fussy'.

True alright, although it's probably one of the major ones I would guess.
    What I am saying is that younger men are every bit more likely to 'go with the flow more and see where it goes' than the older ones, as is the case with women.

I think we don't agree so :) Surely that can't be right. Your average 24 year old girl or guy is likely to be more apt to just 'go with the flow' than your average 32 year old girl or guy (who may be thinking of settling down or looking to get married sooner rather than later, etc).

It's horses for courses all said though. Sure there are plenty of people out there who don't even want kids and/or marriage (albeit certainly in the minority).

I think we don't agree so :) Surely that can't be right. Your average 24 year old girl or guy is likely to be more apt to just 'go with the flow' than your average 32 year old girl or guy (who may be thinking of settling down or looking to get married sooner rather than later, etc).

Completely confused now by the above, riveratom, as it seems to me that we do agree younger people of both genders seem more appealing prospects to the opposite sex in general, than the older ones. It may be for slightly different reasons, but nonetheless there.

• Advertisement

Completely confused now by the above, riveratom, as it seems to me that we do agree younger people of both genders seem more appealing prospects to the opposite sex in general, than the older ones. It may be for slightly different reasons, but nonetheless there.

Em what...?! I think we've moved onto something else now..!

I also wouldn't agree with that, as men are generally attracted to women who are younger than them, whereas the opposite is usually the case for women?

Really all I'm saying is that women are more cautious than men as they get older, although in general both get more cautious as they get older.

So, both get more cautious as they get older, but women more so than men :)

Advertisement