Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RaboDirectPRO12 Race to Playoffs 2012/13

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Ospreys
    rrpc wrote: »
    I know it's probably unfair seeing as he has a greater opportunity to score, but Ian Madigan is currently leadiing in three of the four Rabo stats: Top marksman (41 conversions and penalties), top scorer (127 points including 5 tries) and joint top appearances at 17.

He's just two tries short of being in the top five try scorers as well. He's also fifth in the golden boot stats with 83% success rate. The stats seem to be a bit funny on this seeing as he's supposed to have 35/42 kicks and yet is elsewhere credited with 41!

Golden boot updates infrequently. It hasn't updated with the stats from this round and the last one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Munster
    rrpc wrote: »
    I know it's probably unfair seeing as he has a greater opportunity to score, but Ian Madigan is currently leadiing in three of the four Rabo stats: Top marksman (41 conversions and penalties), top scorer (127 points including 5 tries) and joint top appearances at 17.

He's just two tries short of being in the top five try scorers as well. He's also fifth in the golden boot stats with 83% success rate. The stats seem to be a bit funny on this seeing as he's supposed to have 35/42 kicks and yet is elsewhere credited with 41!

the golden boot stats seem to only update every couple of weeks. I think he is at 41/49 which is still 83%

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Pos Team Played Won Drawn Lost For Against Bonus Pts Points
    1 Glasgow 17 13 0 4 412 229 9 61
    2 Ulster 17 13 1 3 445 280 7 61
    3 Leinster 17 13 0 4 445 290 7 59
    4 Scarlets 17 11 0 6 314 323 6 50
    5 Ospreys 17 11 1 5 332 232 3 49
    6 Munster 17 9 1 7 329 261 5 43
    7 Treviso 17 7 1 9 291 355 5 35
    8 Cardiff Blues 17 7 0 10 268 364 5 33
    9 Connacht 17 7 0 10 282 299 4 32
    10 Edinburgh 17 4 0 13 311 403 8 24
    11 NG Dragons 17 5 0 12 260 423 3 23
    12 Zebre 17 0 0 17 214 444 8 8

Table after round 17.
    Glasgow, Ulster and Leinster looking very good for a playoff spot. Between Scarlets, Ospreys and Munster for the final spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Ospreys
    I think that's game over for Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Munster
    It'd be quite entertaining to see a Connacht win against Munster. Add a bit of excitement in the Irish battle for the basement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Munster need to make up 8 points with 5 games left and trips to Glasgow along with visits from Connacht and Leinster to come. Unlikely.

Ospreys
    Id love to see Connacht take the HC spot off Munster.

Munster need to make up 8 points with 5 games left and trips to Glasgow along with visits from Connacht and Leinster to come. Unlikely.

"Write them off at your..."

Damn I think we need a new cliché :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ospreys
    Should Munster not be on 43pts?

CatFromHue wrote: »

Don't know what you're talking about :p

• Advertisement

Ospreys
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    Yep, think so.

That was a very quick edit :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Munster
    Good results this weekend from a Leinster point of view. For Munster and Ospreys you'd have to say that's a bit of a disastor, neither of them will be happy with a draw from that, both needed the win.

I think the top 3 now will battle it out for top spot, I think their play-off spots are safe, it's now down to Scarlets, Ospreys and Munster to contest the final spot. I wouldn't say it's game over for Munster, but they'll need the Scarlets to completely implode and to be done a few favours by other teams in beating Ospreys - Leinster being one of those teams - and they'll need to win all their remaining games, including two tough interpro home games against Connacht and Leinster and an away trip to league leaders Glasgow who are in rich form.

It's not over yet, but they're teeing off on the 18th needing a hole in one to make the cut.

Makes the Munster Leinster game even bigger now, Leinster will need the win to try and top the table, Munster will need the win to keep play-off hopes alive.

Would certainly be interesting to see the reactions of certain blazers should Connacht finish ahead of Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Munster
    Hard to see them gain seven points on scarlets who have this run in

SCARLETS:
    Zebre (H), Dragons (A), Glasgow (H), Cardiff (H), Treviso (H)
    Scarlets could very easily win each of them. Hard to see them not winning at least three.

Munster
    Well Treviso have shown they're no mugs and Glasgow will be going all out to get a home semi or even top spot, so those two would be tough games I'd imagine, but Zebre at home should be nailed on 4 points minimum, Dragons have been a joke this season and they should win that and Cardiff haven't been much better and you'd fancy Scarlets to win at home.

Even just those 3 wins as worst case scenario for Scarlets, plus the 7 point lead over Munster, would mean Munster would need 20 points from their last 5 games (i.e. win them all) whilst also hoping Scarlets get no BP wins or losing bonus point in 2 defeats to Treviso or Glasgow at the Parc Y Scarlets .... seems unlikely alright.

One thing is for sure though, it's out of their hands now.

Munster
    Regarding Connacht, I actually think it would be great for Irish rugby for Connacht to get into the Heineken Cup on merit, even if Leinster were to qualify Munster by winning the Amlin or something, just to force the IRFU to reconsider the poor cousin attitude to Connacht and perhaps just allow the provinces to evolve naturally and not try and control everything and not focus on one province to prevent it from collapsing and stifle another province and prevent it from growing.

It needs to occur naturally and equally. The IRFU, whilst masterminding the success of Irish rugby through the set up in professionalism, are now the worst thing holding it back.

Munster
    [Jackass] wrote: »
    Regarding Connacht, I actually think it would be great for Irish rugby for Connacht to get into the Heineken Cup on merit, even if Leinster were to qualify Munster by winning the Amlin or something, just to force the IRFU to reconsider the poor cousin attitude to Connacht and perhaps just allow the provinces to evolve naturally and not try and control everything and not focus on one province to prevent it from collapsing and stifle another province and prevent it from growing.

It needs to occur naturally and equally. The IRFU, whilst masterminding the success of Irish rugby through the set up in professionalism, are now the worst thing holding it back.

The IRFU are already increasing Connacht's funding

Munster
    Ospreys run in is interesting
    Three handy games first, keeping them in the hunt right up to the two massive games at the end away to Gla and Leinster.

Dragons (H), Cardiff (A), Treviso (H), Glasgow (A), Leinster (A)

Could be that Leinster have the chance to eliminate them in the last game.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ospreys
    TABLE AFTER ROUND 17
    Glasgow 61
    Ulster 61
    Leinster 59
    Scarlets 50
    Ospreys 49
    Munster 43
    Treviso 35
    Cardiff 33
    Connacht 32
    Edinburgh 24
    Dragons 23
    Zebre 8

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/matchcentre/table.php

REMAINING FIXTURES

ULSTER:
    Edinburgh (A), Leinster (A), Dragons (H), Connacht (A), Cardiff (H)

GLASGOW:
    Leinster (A), Munster (H), Scarlets (A), Ospreys (H), Connacht (A)

LEINSTER:
    Glasgow (H), Ulster (H), Munster (A), Zebre (A), Ospreys (H)

OSPREYS:
    Dragons (H), Cardiff (A), Treviso (H), Glasgow (A), Leinster (A)

SCARLETS:
    Zebre (H), Dragons (A), Glasgow (H), Cardiff (H), Treviso (H)

MUNSTER:
    Connacht (H), Glasgow (A), Leinster (H), Dragons (A), Zebre (A)

I think Munster will get four wins at best, that won't be enough given Scarlets' run in.

Ospreys will need to win their next three games to have a chance, with their last two games being trips to Glasgow and Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Munster are done for after tonight. Scarlets should make it but not sure do I trust them.

• Advertisement

Munster
    I reckon:

4 wins for Leinster = 75
    3 wins for Gla and Uls = 73
    4 wins for Sca= 66
    4 wins for ospreys = 65
    Leaving Munster needing 23 points. Can't see then getting more than maybe 19- 4 wins including three TBPs

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Not sure i get where people are coming from re Connacht finishing ahead of Munster. They are 9 points behind with nothing but tough fixtures remaining. It's not going to happen.

Don't see Munster making the play-offs now. I reckon Scarlets will make 4th spot. The race for top spot is all going to come down to bonus points I reckon. It's going to be tight. Ulster have a slight advantage I reckon, but if they make the SF of the HEC then they might need to focus on that at the expense of the league.

Munster
    molloyjh wrote: »
    Not sure i get where people are coming from re Connacht finishing ahead of Munster. They are 9 points behind with nothing but tough fixtures remaining. It's not going to happen.

One of those fixtures is aganist Munster though. A possible 4 point swing.

But the fact Munster finish up with fixtures against the Dragons and Zebre should really guarrantee them finishing ahead of Connacht. They probably only need to beat them next weekend.

What Munster really need is a win in Scotstoun (very tough) or a win against Leinster. If they win aganist Connacht, one of those games, Zebre and Dragons then they could be a playoff team.

Problem is that if Scarlets win 3 of their remaining 5 games then Munster probably won't qualify. And Scarlets play Zebre, Cardiff, Dragons and Treviso!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Ospreys
    I think Scarletts will make it - they have a handy enough run in. Leinster's last match will be against Ospreys, and it may need a win to keep them out of the play offs....which would be some incentive.....we owe them!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,342 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Out of interest if Connacht did finish ahead of Munster (obviously unlikely) is it written in stone that they would definitely get the HCup spot, or is still at the IRFUs discretion?

Arguably (whilst I'd consider it wrong) it could be considered better from both a financial pov and the international team pov (in theory the IRFUs ultimate mandate) for Munster to have the HCup spot instead of Connacht.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ospreys
    Yeah it's written in the qualification rules that the top 3 Irish teams in the Rabo go into HEC.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Munster
    Out of interest if Connacht did finish ahead of Munster (obviously unlikely) is it written in stone that they would definitely get the HCup spot, or is still at the IRFUs discretion?

Arguably (whilst I'd consider it wrong) it could be considered better from both a financial pov and the international team pov (in theory the IRFUs ultimate mandate) for Munster to have the HCup spot instead of Connacht.
    no longer the IRFU's discretion they agreed a number of years ago that the Celtic league would be the qualifying tournament and the top three teams in it would qualify for the HEC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Munster
    It would take a miracle for Munster to overhaul Ospreys or Scarlets. I can't see Ospreys overhaul Scarlets tbh, Scarlets'll be 4th.

For the top 3 with the way the games go any combination of Ulster, Leinster Glasgow at 1, 2, 3 a possibility. that order is likeliest.

I also can't see Connacht overtaking Munster, would require outrageous results, possible during 6 nations window, not when they all get everyone back in the huddle.

So Ulster Scarlets, Leinster Glasgow for first round of playoffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ospreys
    Zebre 5-11 Scarlets - HT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Zebre 5-11 Scarlets - HT
    Come On ZEBRE!

Advertisement