Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RaboDirectPRO12 Race to Playoffs 2012/13

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Ospreys
    A win for Scarlets and a BP for Glasgow:

As it stands, it's
    Ulster 61
    Glasgow 61
    Leinster 59
    Scarlets 50
    Ospreys 47
    Munster 41

A loss for Munster tomorrow and it's game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

15 minutes left according to the Rabo update but they'll win unless they collapse.

sorry my mistake Scarlets won by a point

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ospreys
    A win for Scarlets and a BP for Glasgow:

As it stands, it's
    Ulster 61
    Glasgow 61
    Leinster 59
    Scarlets 50
    Ospreys 47
    Munster 41

A loss for Munster tomorrow and it's game over.

Tbh with Scarlets' run in Munster are really up against it. Besides the win I think we'll need to deny Ospreys an LBP. Scarlets could well sneak into contention for the top two depending on how far Ulster and Leinster go in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Tbh with Scarlets' run in Munster are really up against it. Besides the win I think we'll need to deny Ospreys an LBP. Scarlets could well sneak into contention for the top two depending on how far Ulster and Leinster go in Europe.

Have to say that it's advantage Leinster for 1st place now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

Looking at the table, its really slipping away from Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

What these last few games have proved is that Leinster have by far the strongest squad in the league. Leinster v Glasgow next up in 3 weeks!

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Leinster have Ulster at the RDS at the end of the month. I suspect that'll be the game that sees Leinster go top.

Not even sure we'll have enough players fit to field a team :P

Ospreys
    P_1 wrote: »

Glasgow in the RDS next up, Ulster in the RDS a week later. Two wins would be pretty sweet.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    What these last few games have proved is that Leinster have by far the strongest squad in the league. Leinster v Glasgow next up in 3 weeks!

That and they have a lot of players returning from injury in the last few weeks. EOM, Mackan, Dom Ryan, Flanagan etc

Glasgow in the RDS next up, Ulster in the RDS a week later. Two wins would be pretty sweet.

Two cliched 8 pointers coming up so

• Advertisement

Two cliched 8 pointers coming up so

Yup, 2 wins puts leinster on top. 2 loses and they are fighting for any sort of playoff spot with a match against the Ospreys to come.

Ospreys
    crisco10 wrote: »
    Yup, 2 wins puts us on top. 2 loses and we are fighting for any sort of playoff spot with a match against the Ospreys to come.

And a trip to Thomond as well.

crisco10 wrote: »
    Yup, 2 wins puts us on top. 2 loses and we are fighting for any sort of playoff spot with a match against the Ospreys to come.

Yeah a 4-0 match point win in both games will put us two points ahead of both Glasgow and Ulster at a bare minimum. Not the worst position to find ourselves in truth be told

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I wouldn't say that at all. Leinster have a tough enough run in. Glasgow, Ulster and Ospreys at home and Munster and Zebre away. More than 1 banana skin there.

Ulster are away to Connacht, Edinburgh and Leinster. Home to Newport.

Glasgow are away to Connacht, Leinster and Scarlet. Home to Cardiff, Munster and Ospreys.

Ulster still have the upper hand IMO. A lot will depend on how they do in Europe. They don't have the same depth as Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

I think if you look at it in terms of games to play, Ulster are still in pole, just.

However, by virtue of the fact that Leinster will surely have more headspace to concentrate on the Rabo, the fact that we've the opportunity to take points at home from both Glasgow and Ulster, and also the amount of injuries that Ulster have, we're looking good.

I think Glasgow won't be able to sustain the pace given that run in. Possibly the toughest of the lot.

Absolute must win for both Ospreys and Munster tomorrow night though, and even at that they'll be looking at other results.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

But ulsters lack of depth is why Leinster will probably finish above them.

Ulster's problem with injuries will probably see them lose more games as they will be worried about risking people before the HEC game.

Truthfully I can't see ulster being in the top 2 come the end of the season.

So it becomes a race between glasgow and Leinster.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

When was the last time we had a full strength first choice 15 out?

I'm getting more and more concerned at the prospect of the Ospreys finishing 4th to be honest

But ulsters lack of depth is why Leinster will probably finish above them.

Ulster's problem with injuries will probably see them lose more games as they will be worried about risking people before the HEC game.

Truthfully I can't see ulster being in the top 2 come the end of the season.

So it becomes a race between glasgow and Leinster.

Not if Ulster lose to Sarries, and in any case, Ulster's run in is far more forgiving than Glasgow's.

I'm getting more and more concerned at the prospect of the Ospreys finishing 4th to be honest

Unless they win tomorrow night they'll be finding it tough to get 4th. Scarlets' run in is very easy, while Ospreys have Dragons + Treviso at home but away games to Blues, Glasgow and Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Not if Ulster lose to Sarries, and in any case, Ulster's run in is far more forgiving than Glasgow's.

Truthfully I think a loss to sarries could be more detrementle for Ulster as after their current run confidence will be massively hit and that could mentally block them from winning

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭MolBee

Well Ulster have used up all their hard earned 'cushioning' and the poor form of the past few weeks has caught up now, squad depth is being tested and we're losing that battle... Hopefully we can still nab a home playoff spot, all of the upcoming fixtures are more than winnable (bar Leinster) with a few guys back from injury and international call ups. Please no more injuries though... pretty please...

Leinster and Ulster in first and second respectively, Leinster to play Ospreys, Ulster to play... Glasgae... for the 5th time this season, is my prediction. :pac:

Also worth mentioning that Glasgow have probably set some record in getting 5 bonus point wins in a row tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Also worth mentioning that Glasgow have probably set some record in getting 5 bonus point wins in a row tonight.

Didn't the Dragons (yes Dragons) do it a few years back?

molloyjh wrote: »
    Didn't the Dragons (yes Dragons) do it a few years back?

4 on the bounce I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Munster
    Fair play to Glasgow. It's hard not to like a team with such limited resources performing so strongly. Edinburgh should take note.

Niko Matawalu for RDP12 player of the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

They made the play offs last season too so it's no fluke. Glasgow and Leinster have been on a good run but Ulster's collapse is making them look all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I hope we don't underestimate Glasgow. They've put themselves in a great position. They're actually top of the league table now due to tries. They're a decent team away, but an absolute nightmare when they're at home. If they get a sniff of a home semi they could win the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Munster
    Fair play to Glasgow. It's hard not to like a team with such limited resources performing so strongly. Edinburgh should take note.

I know it's probably unfair seeing as he has a greater opportunity to score, but Ian Madigan is currently leadiing in three of the four Rabo stats: Top marksman (41 conversions and penalties), top scorer (127 points including 5 tries) and joint top appearances at 17.

He's just two tries short of being in the top five try scorers as well. He's also fifth in the golden boot stats with 83% success rate. The stats seem to be a bit funny on this seeing as he's supposed to have 35/42 kicks and yet is elsewhere credited with 41!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ospreys

I don't think the Scottish sides are as weak financially now as in the past. Both Glasgow and Edinburgh have spent a lot of money in the summer, the difference is Edinburgh's recruitment has been poor compared to Glasgow.

I don't think experienced Super Rugby imports like Josh Strauss or Sean Maitland come cheap. It'll be interesting to see if Glasgow can hold onto Stuart Hogg long term, if he stars on the Lions Tour they'll have to pay big money to keep him.

Advertisement