Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RaboDirectPRO12 Race to Playoffs 2012/13

Options
  • 17-02-2013 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

TABLE AFTER ROUND 15
    Ulster 58
    Glasgow 51
    Leinster 49
    Scarlets 46
    Ospreys 43
    Munster 41
    Cardiff 32
    Treviso 27
    Connacht 24
    Edinburgh 23
    Dragons 18
    Zebre 6

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/matchcentre/table.php

REMAINING FIXTURES

ULSTER:
    Glasgow (A),Treviso (H), Edinburgh (A), Leinster (A), Dragons (H), Connacht (A), Cardiff (H)

GLASGOW:
    Ulster (H), Cardiff (H), Leinster (A), Munster (H), Scarlets (A), Ospreys (H), Connacht (A)

LEINSTER:
    Scarlets (H), Dragons (A), Glasgow (H), Ulster (H), Munster (A), Zebre (A), Ospreys (H)

SCARLETS:
    Leinster (A), Edinburgh (H), Zebre (H), Dragons (A), Glasgow (H), Cardiff (H), Treviso (H)

OSPREYS:
    Edinburgh (H), Munster (A), Dragons (H), Cardiff (A), Treviso (H), Glasgow (A), Leinster (A)

MUNSTER:
    Treviso (A), Ospreys (H), Connacht (H), Glasgow (A), Leinster (H), Dragons (A), Zebre (A)

It still looks like a six-horse race, I didn't include Cardiff above because I really doubt they will make a late push and their run-in is tough: they have to travel to Scarlets, Ulster and Glasgow . 14 points is quite a deficit to make up with only six games remaining.

Scarlets have probably the easiest run-in, their last four games are Dragons away and then three games at home. Ospreys have a tough run-in, with trips to Munster, Glasgow and Leinster.

Munster finish with two winnable away fixtures but they could be out of it by then, with two difficult games to come before those.

In terms of the race for home semi-finals, there are two massive games next weekend: Glasgow vs Ulster and Leinster vs Scarlets

Who will make the playoffs? (Pick four) 287 votes

Ulster
    0%
    Glasgow Warriors
    26%
    TrojanPaulwhallelujajordanHippoThetaOtaconrrpc[Jackass]RandolphEsqJohn_CSeanbasstolosencadrian522eyeball kidongariteruamarartvandelay48Riskymoveyosser hughesWeleaseWoderick 76 votes
    Leinster
    21%
    TrojanPaulwhallelujajordanHippoThetaOtaconrrpc[Jackass]RandolphEsqJohn_Ctolosencadrian522eyeball kidongariteruamarartvandelay48Riskymovematthew8A-Trainirishbucsfan 61 votes
    Scarlets
    26%
    TrojanPaulwhallelujajordanHippoThetaOtaconrrpc[Jackass]RandolphEsqJohn_CSeanbasstolosencadrian522eyeball kidongariteruamarartvandelay48Riskymoveyosser hughesWeleaseWoderick 76 votes
    Ospreys
    9%
    hallelujajordanThetaJohn_CSeanbasseyeball kidruamaryosser hughesmatthew8Grimeboxarodabombgerardk55OSIbrock92CatFromHuethomond2006Thanosdanthefanlocum-motiondecisionsvienne86 28 votes
    Munster
    16%
    TrojanPaulwHippoOtaconrrpc[Jackass]RandolphEsqSeanbasstolosencadrian522ongariteartvandelay48Riskymoveyosser hughesWeleaseWoderickA-TrainirishbucsfanGrimeboxCIARAN_BOYLEiDave 46 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Munster
    Too soon man. Too soon!

Have to say if ulster beat Glasgow next week it's a done deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ospreys
    durkadurka wrote: »
    Too soon man. Too soon!

not at all durka, if Munster and Ospreys win and Scarlets lose next weekend then it gets very interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Ospreys
    Ulster
    Leinster
    Glasgow
    Ospreys

And a Leinster Ospreys Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Munster
    Leinster have a tough run in. I'm sure they'll be a playoff team but they might be pushed to make a home semi.

Then against Glasgow's run in is equally tough. That could be a big factor.

The other big question of course: Will Zebre manage to win a game before the end of the season!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Leinster have a tough run in. I'm sure they'll be a playoff team but they might be pushed to make a home semi.

Then against Glasgow's run in is equally tough. That could be a big factor.

The other big question of course: Will Zebre manage to win a game before the end of the season!?

I'd say the opposite actually, playing teams around us at home is what I'd want, especially considering we're out of the HEC.

A win next weekend and we should be looking at only one loss until the end of the year, possibly in Thomond.

I actually think Glasgow will drop out and we'll see
    Ulster
    Leinster
    Ospreys
    Scarlets

Munster not out by a long shot yet though, they haven't a bad run in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

I think Connacht away for Ulster could be a tricky one, they managed to beat us last year iirc, even though we sent down a weakened team. Things should be a lot clearer after the coming weekend I imagine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Munster
    Hmmmmm

Glasgow have a pretty nasty run in but Scarlets have a handy one after Leinster next week.

Munster is pretty tricky to call because they have tricky home games and handy away games. The team is misfiring at the moment and are pretty vulnerable.

I fancy Leinster to finish very strong and push Ulster all the way.
    If ulster win in Glasgow they really should have enough in some handy remaining fixtures. If they lose to Glasgow it could open up a bit.

Ospreys have some nasty away fixtures at Munster and Leinster but they've shown that they can win these fixtures.

Ulster Leinster Glasgow ospreys.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ospreys
    Ulster, Glasgow, and Leinster I think will get into the play off spots with Lanelli there too.

Ospreys will be close but I'm not so confident of Munster being in the mix anymore. I'm not sure if they're going to win next weekend which considering they're 5 points behind 4th now would be a one they'd need to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Scarlets Leinster is the only Leinster home game I'm going to miss this year - and it's looking to be a cracker! :( The 'b-side' options for each team are exciting and they're both in the hunt for play offs.

Hrmm, I wonder if I can pull a sicky with the missus. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    Scarlets Leinster is the only Leinster home game I'm going to miss this year - and it's looking to be a cracker! :( The 'b-side' options for each team are exciting and they're both in the hunt for play offs.

Hrmm, I wonder if I can pull a sicky with the missus. :D

Me too. Haven't missed a home game in nearly 2 years.

This weekends games will give us a better idea but I reckon Ulster, Leinster, Glasgow and Scarlets should make the play offs. Munster just don't look like turning things around and they'd need to really. Ospreys could well nab 4th place, but I'm hoping Leinster and Munster get the wins at home against them which should rule them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I'd say the opposite actually, playing teams around us at home is what I'd want, especially considering we're out of the HEC.

A win next weekend and we should be looking at only one loss until the end of the year, possibly in Thomond.

I actually think Glasgow will drop out and we'll see
    Ulster
    Leinster
    Ospreys
    Scarlets

Munster not out by a long shot yet though, they haven't a bad run in.

The Munster away game is key. Win that, and every single other game is winnable. Our away games are against Zebre and Dragons, and we should expect to win home games (even if one of them is against Ulster). An unbeaten finish isn't out of the question, and we would take a lot of points off our closest rivals in the process, although I suspect we will slip up somewhere.

• Administrators Posts: 53,450 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I suspect Leinster will win it outright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Ospreys
    I reckon:

1. Ulster
    2. Leinster
    3. Glasgow
    4. Scarlets

Ulster's fate is probably tied to their HEC progress. I don't think they have the depth of squad to really fight two battles so if they beat Saracens, they're going to start dropping points in the league...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

awec wrote: »
    I suspect Leinster will win it outright.

If we make it to the playoffs this season and don't win it then I'm going to start believing in a Leinster curse tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

So there's a distinct possibility of Leinster playing the Ospreys twice in a row? Can't say I would be looking forward to that

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'd be happy never to play them again tbh. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Munster
    I'd love to get Ospreys in the final. Some serious scores to be settled. Best way to exorcise demons is to beat them in a final!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

iDave wrote: »
    I'd love to get Ospreys in the final. Some serious scores to be settled. Best way to exorcise demons is to beat them in a final!

No I'd like to win it ONCE first, after that we can settle scores but initially I would just like to get the friggin monkey off our back first

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Munster
    No I'd like to win it ONCE first, after that we can settle scores but initially I would just like to get the friggin monkey off our back first
    Yeah fair enough, I'd enjoy doing both at the same time. I firmly believe Leinster are more than capable of beating them in a final.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,849 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Munster
    Leinster have a very favourable fixture run-in, excellent chance of home final. Likewise I would love to see them win it and get the monkey off the back, its a pity the Amlin is distracting the focus, but two finals in two weeks at the RDS wouldnt be a bad return!

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Leinster have a very favourable fixture run-in, excellent chance of home final. Likewise I would love to see them win it and get the monkey off the back, its a pity the Amlin is distracting the focus, but two finals in two weeks at the RDS wouldnt be a bad return!

To be fair, Leinster are one of the 'better' sides in Europe, fighting on two fronts shouldn't really be a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Munster
    1. Ulster 82
    2. Leinster 75
    3. Scarlets 72
    4. Glasgow 69
    5. Munster 67
    6. Ospreys 65

Munster are dead in the water unless it's Keatley from here on in. Even still, I doubt they'll make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,849 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Munster
    P_1 wrote: »
    To be fair, Leinster are one of the 'better' sides in Europe, fighting on two fronts shouldn't really be a challenge.

That they are, but the outcome of the last 4 league seasons would disagree with you - 3rd in 2009 and then lost every Grand Final since its inception, all while winning 3 Heineken Cups. Its getting like the Mayo curse.........

Larbre34 wrote: »
    That they are, but the outcome of the last 4 league seasons would disagree with you - 3rd in 2009 and then lost every Grand Final since its inception, all while winning 3 Heineken Cups. Its getting like the Mayo curse.........

Shh, let's not mention that, it seems to inspire at least two epic rants a year from my Dad :)

Ospreys
    Ospreys have so many back three players unavailable that they have been forced to play Kahn Fotuali'i on the wing: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21507369

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Munster
    Ulster built such a solid lead early on that they're a shoe in for the play-offs and a home semi.

Given that Leinster have all their play-off rivals still to play, and all but Munster at home, I think Leinster have a good opportunity to hurt oppenents run ins and thus think Leinster will make the top two.

Glasgow have really focused on the league again this year. They are a quality outfit, as good a back-three as you'll see in the competition, Hogg a staking a real claim for Lions tour, I think they'll hang on for the play-offs, but wont get a home semi.

Between Scarlets, Ospreys and Munster I think it's a three way shoot out. If Ospreys win in Thomond, it's season over for Munster. If Munster win I think it's season over Ospreys, with both Glasgow and Leinster away still to come, they have the toughest run in - that's a massive game.

Whoever wins that game will be in a direct shoot out with Scarlets, who have the most favourable run in, and it's in their own hands, if they win games they should, they wont be caught.

Leinster may yet have the opportunity to return the favour Munster did for them earlier in the season and stop their season dead in Thomond with a win down there. That should be a cracking match too.

Exciting run in. I voted Ulster, Leinster, Glasgow and Ospreys (but I MEANT Scarlets!!:()

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ospreys
    I think Ulster will get the play off spot but not sure if they'll get the home play off. They're 9 points ahead of Leinster but still have to come down here and will be doing very well to get anything out of tonight's game away to Glasgow. Another thing is that Leinster and Glasgow have caught up to them in the Tries scored so Ulsters buffer of finishing on equal points but having a better Tries scored is gone.

I'm not sure if Munster will win in Italy on Sunday which will put them all but out of the play off spots.

Ospreys
    Top 6 as it stands going into tomorrow:

Ulster 59
    Glasgow 56
    Leinster 49 - Scarlets (h) tomorrow
    Ospreys 47
    Scarlets 46 - Leinster (a) tomorrow
    Munster 41 - Treviso (a) tomorrow

Ospreys won 24-7 tonight at home to Edinburgh, they had three tries scored by 60 minutes but couldn't get the fourth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

A win for Leinster tomorrow and we're within 6. Ideal scenario from a Leinster point of view would be 5 points tomorrow, bringing us within 5 of Ulster, with both Ulster and Glasgow still to visit the RDS

• Advertisement

Ospreys

Ospreys won 24-7 tonight at home to Edinburgh, they had three tries scored by 60 minutes but couldn't get the fourth.

Edinburgh had Atiga sin binned and then De Luca was sent off for a spear tackle, it sounds like a nasty one right at the end of the game.

Advertisement