Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RaboDirectPRO12 Race to Playoffs 2012/13

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Ospreys
    It was not their decision... There is more behind it than you and we all think.

Like what? There was no other stadium possible.

• Administrators Posts: 53,451 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

:confused:

Are you saying we are being moved to the RDS for a reason other than our stadium doesn't meet the required capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

awec wrote: »
    :confused:

Are you saying we are being moved to the RDS for a reason other than our stadium doesn't meet the required capacity?

Sure don't you remember the IRFU conspiracy.

If Munster can't win something then do all in your power to ensure Leinster can win it. If Leinster also can't win it then kneecap Connacht so Ulster or maybe one of the Welsh teams will.

:pac:

Sorry if this isn't the thread for this, mods feel free to punt into a new thread if needs be! :)

Is anyone else frustrated by the wildly varied interpretation of the rules by different referees? The sort of game you get seems to depend a lot on who the man in the middle is.

An example of this was our game against Connacht. We had a scrum right on the try line that I think was reset about 4 times due to Connacht fouls. On another night we'd have had a penalty try for sure.

The referee (can't remember his name) was also one of those who believes in very short periods of advantage before either going back or declaring it over, as opposed to those who like to drag it out for what seems like an eternity.

Then you have some refs who are happy to instruct players to try and prevent fouls etc, while others will just wait and blow the whistle.

I wonder do efforts need to be made to try and make things more consistent. In the case of pen trys anyway I find it frustrating and I'm sure players do too?

Or am I waffling a load of nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Sorry if this isn't the thread for this, mods feel free to punt into a new thread if needs be! :)

Is anyone else frustrated by the wildly varied interpretation of the rules by different referees? The sort of game you get seems to depend a lot on who the man in the middle is.

An example of this was our game against Connacht. We had a scrum right on the try line that I think was reset about 4 times due to Connacht fouls. On another night we'd have had a penalty try for sure.

The referee (can't remember his name) was also one of those who believes in very short periods of advantage before either going back or declaring it over, as opposed to those who like to drag it out for what seems like an eternity.

Then you have some refs who are happy to instruct players to try and prevent fouls etc, while others will just wait and blow the whistle.

I wonder do efforts need to be made to try and make things more consistent. In the case of pen trys anyway I find it frustrating and I'm sure players do too?

Or am I waffling a load of nonsense?

No you're not. What I'd be more concerned about though is the lack of involvement of the TJs. It's fast becoming a joke.

Although I do take your point about the multiple reset on the line and no penalty try. Happened to us recently too! :pac:

• Advertisement

Ospreys
    It seemed to me that, over the Christmas/New Year period, there was a massive spate of penalty tries in the Rabo but it seems to have receded again and now we're back to repeated infringements being OK. (Leinster fans were a bit annoyed at the number of penalties Ulster were allowed to concede in the closing stages of their win at the RDS)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The Illuminati?

Ospreys
    It's been a big week with all the happenings around HEC/Amlin semi-finals, Joe Schmidt's appointment, Lions selections, RWC2015 fixtures and TV rights deals, but there's still more excitement to come with the climax of the RaboDirect Pro12 league regular season.

While Ulster, Leinster and Glasgow already guaranteed a berth in the semi-finals, there is no shortage of motivation for them tomorrow night as all three teams will be looking for a win to secure home advantage in the play-offs.

Things are a bit hairier for the Scarlets, who will need to avoid the pretty sizable banana skin that is the visit of Treviso if they are to hold off the challenge of the Ospreys for the final spot. The Ospreys chances are slim, four points behind Cardiff, they will need to beat Leinster at the RDS and hope Treviso can conquer the odds.

Glasgow face a tricky challenge in Galway, knowing that they will need to come away with a win and hope that either Ulster or Leinster slip up, otherwise they'll be on the road to either Ravenhill or RDS in the semi-finals.

The permutations for the Irish sides are very simple; if Ulster and Leinster each get a home win (of any description) against Cardiff and Ospreys respectively, they will be guaranteed first and second spots. Neither team will be under pressure to rack up try bonus points so this may be borne out in their tactics. Even a draw for Ulster would be enough.

Only 2 of the 6 matches tomorrow night will have nothing riding on them, as Zebre host Munster in their last attempt to seal a win, and Edinburgh host Dragons in a game most notable for marking the retirement of Allan 'Chunk' Jacobsen.

All matches kick-off at 745:
    Connacht v Glasgow - live on RTE2
    Ulster v Cardiff - live on BBCNI
    Leinster v Ospreys - live on TG4
    Scarlets v Treviso - live on BBCW
    Edinburgh v Dragons - no TV
    Zebre v Munster - live on Sportitalia

Come on you boys in white!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Come on you boys in white!

Give me an L!

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    Give me an L!

Getting ahead of yourself molloy, it's a U and then an L. Ulster is spelled U-L-S-T-E-R. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ospreys
    Scarlets 12-13 Treviso at half-time!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ospreys
    Current standings

Leinster 77 (Leinster would be top as they'd have won more games than Ulster)
    Ulster 77
    Glasgow 76
    Lanelli 67

Ospreys
    12-16 Treviso

Ospreys
    12-26 Treviso! :O

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ospreys
    It'll be interesting to read the match report from the Lanelli game. I'd imagine Treviso are just beating them up front.

Just looking at the ESPN live report and Treviso went 26-12 ahead when they'd two guys in the sin bin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Munster
    All Welsh regions currently losing.

Treviso now 31-12 up :eek:

Ospreys
    P_1 wrote: »
    Treviso now 31-12 up :eek:

Treviso can play away from home, remember they got a draw at Ravenhill. Still that's embarrassing for Scarlets.

Treviso can play away from home, remember they got a draw at Ravenhill. Still that's embarrassing for Scarlets.

True. Still no matter what way you look at it

2Mc5Y.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 LukeyPoke

Are the kings of europe now guaranteed a home semi? The loss of their crown is fast approaching and it would be nice to have a lesser title of Rabo king.

We have a home semi :cool:

Ospreys
    try bonus win for treviso 12-41!!

they played for 10 mins with only 13 men too

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

CatFromHue wrote: »
    try bonus win for treviso 12-41!!

they played for 10 mins with only 13 men too

7th place finish for Treviso this year. Wouldn't be surprised if they got a top half finish next year. It would be nice if they were in with a shout of a playoff next year

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Buer

lologram wrote: »
    7th place finish for Treviso this year. Wouldn't be surprised if they got a top half finish next year. It would be nice if they were in with a shout of a playoff next year

If their fellow countrymen had been a little more clinical and accurate with the boot earlier, they'd have only missed out on 6th by points difference. Great effort by them this season. Becoming a seriously tough fixture.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Munster
    Just noticed that going into tonights games five IQ players were in the top 10 (by accuracy) placekickers in the league.

Great for Ireland to have that placekicking ability competing for places.

Just noticed that going into tonights games five IQ players were in the top 10 (by accuracy) placekickers in the league.

Great for Ireland to have that placekicking ability competing for places.

I do believe Leigh Halfpenny wins the golden boot award. The award is only for the regular season so he wins by a tiny fraction from Madigan. Harsh on Madigan given he took well over twice as many kicks but them's the breaks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Munster
    Buer wrote: »
    I do believe Leigh Halfpenny wins the golden boot award. The award is only for the regular season so he wins by a tiny fraction from Madigan. Harsh on Madigan given he took well over twice as many kicks but them's the breaks.
    Exactly 3 times as many kicks. Madigan took one tonight, identical percentages now. 60/69 for Madigan 20/23 for Halfpenny. Both 86.96%.

Don't know who wins in that situation.

Didnt' realise Madigan took the last conversion. I assume he'll be given it as he has taken more kicks.

EDIT: That was some ninja edit, TL! Just blinked!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Ospreys
    Exactly 3 times as many kicks. Madigan took one tonight, identical percentages now. 60/69 for Madigan 20/23 for Halfpenny. Both 86.96%.

Don't know who wins in that situation.
    I would assume Madigan gets it because he kicked more or they could just share it.

Advertisement