Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The fire service is fixed already for me and the traffic isnt half as bad even though the game is still broken

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Just give me bigger cities FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dcully wrote: »
    that will be in the season pass or available as a DLC feature for $7.50

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

RPS on how EA have effectively got away with it by simply remaining silent and letting the whole debacle simply blow over.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/22/the-power-of-silence-why-the-simcity-story-went-away/

Dcully wrote: »

yes this is probably the most annoying aspect of the game. Those spaces between the cities could be used, also there should be more than one way of connecting to the motorway outside the city to reduce traffic coming in/out of the city. Usually long traffic jams at this junction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Azza wrote: »
    RPS on how EA have effectively got away with it by simply remaining silent and letting the whole debacle simply blow over.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/22/the-power-of-silence-why-the-simcity-story-went-away/

Brilliant article. I for one wont be forgetting Sim City when say Fifa 2015 comes around with a "Connected only experience". The noises coming out of Microsoft with the new Xbox seem to add some weight to this too.

If people don't want something like this to happen again you will need to vote with your wallet, plenty of alternatives out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Brilliant article. I for one wont be forgetting Sim City when say Fifa 2015 comes around with a "Connected only experience". The noises coming out of Microsoft with the new Xbox seem to add some weight to this too.

If people don't want something like this to happen again you will need to vote with your wallet, plenty of alternatives out there.

Yea like all the people who boycotted Xbox Live because Microsoft insisted on a min broadband connection. That worked out terribly for them didn't it.

Yea like all the people who boycotted Xbox Live because Microsoft insisted on a min broadband connection. That worked out terribly for them didn't it.

How did I know you would be the first to reply. Again like most of your arguments in this thread flawed logic. Xbox live != Xbox console. Console does not lock you out if you don't have a connection to XBox live, the new one probably will however.

As for the people who boycotted Xbox live it is a different issue, they are boycotting the fact that you have to pay for a service that you get free with its competitors and have got in the past.

Why would anyone have a problem not having access to what is basically a glorified online marketplace when they don't have an internet connection?? Therein lies your flawed logic.

What is the problem when you are forced to connect to it for DRM purposes... You can dress it up all you like but this is in my opinion what happened with Sim City. I am not alone in thinking this.

_Puma_ wrote: »
    How did I know you would be the first to reply. Again like most of your arguments in this thread flawed logic. Xbox live != Xbox console. Console does not lock you out if you don't have a connection to XBox live, the new one probably will however.

As for the people who boycotted Xbox live it is a different issue, they are boycotting the fact that you have to pay for a service that you get free with its competitors and have got in the past.

Why would anyone have a problem not having access to what is basically a glorified online marketplace when they don't have an internet connection?? Therein lies your flawed logic.

What is the problem when you are forced to connect to it for DRM purposes... You can dress it up all you like but this is in my opinion what happened with Sim City. I am not alone in thinking this.

What ?? :confused:

When Microsoft announced Xbox Live and confirmed that you would need a minimum broadband connection to run it. It was at a time when only a tiny % of the population had a broadband connection.

This was when the majority had dial up connections but Microsoft didn't let that hold them back they had the foresight to push forward.

All the same dumb arguments about cutting off their player base and how they would let their wallets talk were made back then too. By the time the 360 came to launch no one would have even dreamed of gaming on a dial up.

Fast forward a decade and (as you have so brilliantly yet unwittingly just proven my point for me) people don't even remember why that was a problem.

Even now people game online through a wireless hotspot on their phone! Who would have thought that was possible 5 years ago.

In another decade people won't even understand why always on was ever an issue when they connect to their Google terabit connection via cable, 5G & satellite to ensure 24/7 connectivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

[/junk]

The issue is not with the technology not being there (I already have always-on BB), or Microsoft being too far ahead of their time -- it's with DEMANDING that I (the consumer) PROVE to Microsoft that I bought my content, constantly.

It is an invasion of privacy and a breach of trust.

And any company that decides to try to fúck me over like that will not get my money.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The issue is not with the technology not being there (I already have always-on BB), or Microsoft being too far ahead of their time -- it's with DEMANDING that I (the consumer) PROVE to Microsoft that I bought my content, constantly.

It is an invasion of privacy and a breach of trust.

And any company that decides to try to fúck me over like that will not get my money.

Then it's simple don't buy it. I along with the tens of millions of others will buy it an enjoy playing all their games with or without you. Their product, their service, their rules.

Anyway back to Simcity.....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Their product, their service, their rules.

An that's why we should be grateful we live in a society that enforces regulations on the providers of products and services.
    If someone thinks something is unethical telling them to not buy it is doesn't actually deal with anything. It's still unethical and to use a very simple example. If I sell you food that's actually poison is that perfectly ok? My product, my services, my rules.

Jernal wrote: »
    An that's why we should be grateful we live in a society that enforces regulations on the providers of products and services.
    If someone thinks something is unethical telling them to not buy it is doesn't actually deal with anything. It's still unethical and to use a very simple example. If I sell you food that's actually poison is that perfectly ok? My product, my services, my rules.

If you write on the box "Poison Food". With a big warning saying this contains Poison. I can hardly buy it and then complain that I can't eat it because it has poison in it.

Anyway people are getting a bit over excited. I've seen unethical and breach of trust being mentioned in the last few posts. If a company wants to make a game or console that requires an always on connection there is nothing unethical about that, there is no breach of trust. This is not a product that is saving dying babies or a cure for cancer, no one is dumping chemicals into a villages drinking water because they don't want to pay to have it disposed of properly. It's a video game, if you buy it and you want to play it, you will need to be online. Just like you are online when playing the majority of your games today. Save the moral outrage for something that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

So is the update ready yet or what?

I haven't played since about a week after it came out, kinda hoping we'd get some patches to fix traffic routing and the rest. I say traffic isn't mentioned, is it fixed at all?

errlloyd wrote: »
    So is the update ready yet or what?

I haven't played since about a week after it came out, kinda hoping we'd get some patches to fix traffic routing and the rest. I say traffic isn't mentioned, is it fixed at all?

I played a bit today but didn't notice any update and I would have thought it would be pretty big.

Servers are down, they're applying it right now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If you write on the box "Poison Food". With a big warning saying this contains Poison. I can hardly buy it and then complain that I can't eat it because it has poison in it.
    Except that they're not putting the "Poison" on the box.

This is akin to putting Poison inside the manual, so you have to have opened the game already before you find out there's poison in it.
    Moreover (to stretch this analogy to breaking point) they're asking you to put the poison on the food or you don't get to eat it.
    Anyway people are getting a bit over excited. I've seen unethical and breach of trust being mentioned in the last few posts. If a company wants to make a game or console that requires an always on connection there is nothing unethical about that, there is no breach of trust. This is not a product that is saving dying babies or a cure for cancer, no one is dumping chemicals into a villages drinking water because they don't want to pay to have it disposed of properly. It's a video game, if you buy it and you want to play it, you will need to be online. Just like you are online when playing the majority of your games today. Save the moral outrage for something that matters.

Except, as Rock Paper Shotgun and various modders have proven, you don't NEED to be online for the game engine to work!

EA are dishonestly trying to tell gullible consumers that this game requires always-on, that it is "an MMO" and that you should accept their bare-faced lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Just applied 2.0 and not a good start so far. My main city seems to be empty in the region view and when I try to load it it just sits on the load screen. So safe to say that city is no recoverable.

No big deal since I had planned on starting again anyway but would have been nice to know the patch sorted the problems I was having...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

quarryman wrote: »
    Just applied 2.0 and not a good start so far. My main city seems to be empty in the region view and when I try to load it it just sits on the load screen. So safe to say that city is no recoverable.

No big deal since I had planned on starting again anyway but would have been nice to know the patch sorted the problems I was having...

Only takes 30 seconds to fill the map anyway, so you wont be long finding out again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

This still isn't fixed so, I'm not coming back just yet...
    The trade trucks just get stuck forever outside that other city.
    All my depots are full. I was making 500k monthly on trade and now it's down to 1k or something.

F4EE9C71BEEB425482317D6BCD8F253C-0000351665-0003226906-00800L-072688DB8B974CE8B0F2BA7373E8FFB3.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

When Microsoft announced Xbox Live and confirmed that you would need a minimum broadband connection to run it. It was at a time when only a tiny % of the population had a broadband connection.

This was when the majority had dial up connections but Microsoft didn't let that hold them back they had the foresight to push forward.

They had foresight, but they also had a cushion of millions of dollars they were willing to lose as part of their larger media strategy.

They had allowed for a huge hit on first generation Xbox Live, in order to get the Xbox name and concept as a multimedia platform out there. It was bigger than their gaming angle, it served the greater Microsoft roadmap, and it was part of their introduction to the market. How many modern publishers would be willing and able to effectively write off a whole generation, without the same steady, alternative sources of income that Microsoft could count on?

The other thing about early Xbox Live is that it was introduced as an added bonus which set their brand apart from their rivals. It wasn't something that gave an existing userbase less options and less flexibility than what they were already used to, while lying - badly - about the intention behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

The fix has apparently generated some phantom sounds for some people. This being one of the more hilarious examples

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

I had that problem before 2.0. Re-starting the game fixes it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

quarryman wrote: »

Did you add your city details to the link I posted a few posts back. I havent had a chance to play with the new update yet so I am hoping the city is recoverable.

Also, my bloody city is still grid locked at the entrance

Has EA/Maxis come out and explained exactly what the feck they are doing? Or are they like the venkys and continue to play the silent game!?

I actually think it has improved slightly now.

Have 55 mn simoleans and a population of 180k in a residential zone that takes up less than a quarter of my city. Chuffed.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I actually think it has improved slightly now.

Have 55 mn simoleans and a population of 180k in a residential zone that takes up less than a quarter of my city. Chuffed.

What? Are you for real??

• Advertisement

tom'sHardware review of Sim City one month on post update. Pretty robust review.

The last paragraph really takes the biscuit.
    "Since this editorial was written, EA launched a SimCity partnership with Crest Toothpaste to provide codes with purchases of their toothpaste and oral hygiene products redeemable for Garden Gnomes, Dinosaur statues, and Giant Balls of Twine as attractions in your city. You, too, can own one of the limited-time attractions above, or even a Llarry the Llama statue by purchasing a specially-marked Crest or Oral-B product at your supermarket today. While this may sound like a parody of every critical assessment of EA as caricatured by its detractors, rest assured, this is quite real and stunning in light of a game that still wouldn’t qualify as a beta test, even after "the big patch."

Advertisement