Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (Bungie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Dam got dc just as the boss was about to go down

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm surprised not only by the reviews - 6/10 to 7/10s - but also because of the lack out outcry among the game's fans over those reviews. Wonder if that's down to there being no pre-release reviews and the fact that for once they're not appearing before the gaming public has played the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I'm surprised not only by the reviews - 6/10 to 7/10s - but also because of the lack out outcry among the game's fans over those reviews. Wonder if that's down to there being no pre-release reviews and the fact that for once they're not appearing before the gaming public has played the game.

What is the point in complaining? It is all the rage with reviewers to call it crap because it was hyped. Giving the game 5/6 out of 10 (quite a good few have done that) is plain retarded and how they get paid for such rubbish is unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

To be honest I've seen too many people throwing in their expert analysis on the game before they even get by level 10 which is basically tutorial mode in my eyes.
    -"I've done 1 pvp match, without unlocking a single ability for my class, I don't like it, game is sh1t"
    -"I rushed the story and tried the strike but I couldn't kill the boss, games too hard"
    -"I bought this massive online shooter just so I could recluse myself away from everyone else and play the story, it wasn't compelling enough, game is crap"
    -"No mmo feel to the game and its side missions, I'd rather be picking turnips for farmers like in WoW to level up"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Davei141 wrote: »
    What is the point in complaining? It is all the rage with reviewers to call it crap because it was hyped. Giving the game 5/6 out of 10 (quite a good few have done that) is plain retarded and how they get paid for such rubbish is unbelievable.

Or, here's a novel idea, they think it's an average game so are giving it average scores

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Multiplayer is so fun, I love this game I do.

COYVB wrote: »
    Or, here's a novel idea, they think it's an average game so are giving it average scores

Or more like played it for a few hours and decided to slate it, the game completely opens up at level 20 and you have people moaning after a few levels. No way in hell it would get them scores if this game came out without the hype. Nice to know you think the game will be dead in a few months though from your few hours expert game play, pretty much sums up all the reviews, just dying to say "i told you so" to any game with hype attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I'd give it an 8/10 but noway a 6. Even if it was a 7/10 that's still a good game. Your fault if you thought it would be the second coming. One thing I'd say though is the game with the extra's at 99 is too expensive. Should be 80€ max but we all know prices are going through the roof.

I'm enjoying the game for what it is but it really could have been so much more. The lack of a sorry is disappointing and the inability to explore the world at large is an odd one. The biggest issue is that the game seems to love disconnecting you randomly at the worst time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

There is a story if you want to pay attention to it. Just not giant story dumps. Kinda reminds of Halo CE.

• Advertisement

Or more like played it for a few hours and decided to slate it, the game completely opens up at level 20 and you have people moaning after a few levels. No way in hell it would get them scores if this game came out without the hype. Nice to know you think the game will be dead in a few months though from your few hours expert game play, pretty much sums up all the reviews, just dying to say "i told you so" to any game with hype attached.

Yes, you're dead right. Reviewers don't actually review games. Unless they agree with you, in which case they clearly put in a thorough playthrough. I think we should just let you give the final, factual score for every game and let's disregard the opinions of everyone else. Unless they agree with you, in which case they're clearly right.

The game WILL be dead in a few months. Bookmark this post, then come back in November and see if I was right or not.

Hype has got nothing to do with it. Almost EVERY game is hyped to bits these days.

Some people like some games, some people do not, that's life. Unless they don't like the same ones as you, in which case they're clueless.

All hail Davei141, who knows more about games than I ever will. Ever. Clearly.

Yes, you're dead right. Reviewers don't actually review games. Unless they agree with you, in which case they clearly put in a thorough playthrough. I think we should just let you give the final, factual score for every game and let's disregard the opinions of everyone else. Unless they agree with you, in which case they're clearly right.

The game WILL be dead in a few months. Bookmark this post, then come back in November and see if I was right or not.

Hype has got nothing to do with it. Almost EVERY game is hyped to bits these days.

Some people like some games, some people do not, that's life. Unless they don't like the same ones as you, in which case they're clueless.

All hail Davei141, who knows more about games than I ever will. Ever. Clearly.

"I don't like a game so it will be dead in a few months." Cheers for that Nostradamus. Any other pearls of wisdom you should bestow on us mere mortals? Hype has nothing to do with it? yeah obviously..

We have a seer among us!
    Please sir, when will I get my first purple?

"I don't like a game so it will be dead in a few months." Cheers for that Nostradamus. Any other pearls of wisdom you should bestow on us mere mortals? Hype has nothing to do with it? yeah obviously..

I never said I didn't like it though. It's good fun. It'll be abandoned like Titanfall was, regardless of whether I like it or not

It'll be interesting to see how numbers will be affected once the next COD title hits shelves. Destiny does a lot right but I can't see it becoming the go to online fps that the develipers obviously hope it will become.

I'm enjoying the game for what it is but would be tempted to trade it in four something like the upcoming Alien genre out the Evil Within. The need to be connected constantly is an aspect of the game that's rather frustrating, especially when the game seems to enjoy booting you when you're playing single player.

• It'll be interesting to see how numbers will be affected once the next COD title hits shelves. Destiny does a lot right but I can't see it becoming the go to online fps that the develipers obviously hope it will become.

I'm enjoying the game for what it is but would be tempted to trade it in four something like the upcoming Alien genre out the Evil Within. The need to be connected constantly is an aspect of the game that's rather frustrating, especially when the game seems to enjoy booting you when you're playing single player.

Same here, once I complete the campaign with other players (it's just awful for solo play once you get to further into it) I have no reason to keep it.

Destiny is going to make new records on the 2nd hand shelf. To be honest you can already predict what the DLC plan is...

Add a new planet with 5 more levels, 1 more strike mission all with identical objectives as the previous 5 planets.

This has been a bigger disappointment for me than Watch Dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The beta of this basically showed how the final product would be sadly. Not as good as Halo or Borderlands which is basically what Destiny is a mix of. It's just far too restrictive and not near enough content. Trading this in for Drive Club next month. Might pick it up in the bargin bin in a year if it survives and gets alot more content.

I never said I didn't like it though. It's good fun. It'll be abandoned like Titanfall was, regardless of whether I like it or not

Destiny has a much much larger install base though and has/will shift a lot more copies than Titanfall. Titanfall was another game that has great gameplay and is a lot of fun but got hit with the hype backlash too, both of those games are better than 90% of what is available on next gen yet their ratings are average. Next Gen game reviews have made feck all sense so far.

I can see it lasting like Borderlands 2 lasted, it is going to have constant support so that always helps foster a community. None of us know how the raids will work too and all the weekly daily strikes that open up at level 20 will keep it going fora good while. Never mind the fact the PvP is extremely solid and great fun too. I do wish it was as big as Borderlands 2 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Titanfall was another game that has great gameplay and is a lot of fun but got hit with the hype backlash too, both of those games are better than 90% of what is available on next gen yet their ratings are average..

Very subjective there. I'm getting more enjoyment out of the Metro Redux pack right now than 4 days with Destiny. Two last gen flawed games at that might I add with the same general scores as Destiny. Review scores mean squat to me, it's how I enjoy a game that counts and I can tell that from gameplay vids and demos/betas. Destiny felt bland and lacking in the alpha and beta to me and the final game is the same imo. I still went with it as I was thinking there had to be something with so much hype and so many E3 rewards but I should have went with my gut.

• Davei141 wrote: »
    Destiny has a much much larger install base though and has/will shift a lot more copies than Titanfall. Titanfall was another game that has great gameplay and is a lot of fun but got hit with the hype backlash too, both of those games are better than 90% of what is available on next gen yet their ratings are average. Next Gen game reviews have made feck all sense so far.

I can see it lasting like Borderlands 2 lasted, it is going to have constant support so that always helps foster a community. None of us know how the raids will work too and all the weekly daily strikes that open up at level 20 will keep it going fora good while. Never mind the fact the PvP is extremely solid and great fun too. I do wish it was as big as Borderlands 2 though.

I'm sorry, there's no way it's going to last longer than Borderlands 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'm sorry, there's no way it's going to last longer than Borderlands 2

Halo 3 and Reach are still being played today actively on Xbox Live, I can't see why Destiny can't reach at least half that shelf life until the inevitable sequel comes along....

I'm immune to hype at this stage. My job is literally nothing but game hype every goddamn day. I couldn't give a toss about it.

What I've said is no more insightful than saying "the sky is blue"

In 2 months time the year's major "big names" will all have dropped. The bulk of "casual" destiny players will have traded the game in for cod or assassins creed or whatever, and the online community will be decimated. From there more people will drop off each month due to both decreased numbers and new releases taking the spotlight.

Its not rocket science; it's over-promising, claiming a revolution, not delivering, and releasing at a time of the year aimed at high sales through lack of competition, but poorly placed for longevity.

But don't take my word for it, check back in a few months.

Nothing to do with how much you or I enjoy it in the slightest.

I thought Titanfall was wonderful fun, but it's early death was obvious for similar (though not identical) reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I haven't had much time with the full game yet due to other commitments, I've only gotten past the end of the Beta point earlier today so for me everything is new from here - I haven't done feck all yet so can't give my full opinion but I have had some good fun with it so far.....

• Fieldog wrote: »
    Halo 3 and Reach are still being played today actively on Xbox Live, I can't see why Destiny can't reach at least half that shelf life until the inevitable sequel comes along....

The support and DLC Borderlands 2 provided is what we are specifically talking about here. Destiny is confused and doesn't know what it is. Borderlands knows what it is and it does it well.

There is no way in hell that it will match Borderlands 2, it took me at least 100 hours minimum before i started to get burnt out.

I'm only 10 hours into Destiny and I'm ready to trade it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

it does look like a poor mans borderlands.

Or Titanfall which is a studios AAA game that really isnt.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I still went with it as I was thinking there had to be something with so much hype and so many E3 rewards but I should have went with my gut.
    F1ngers wrote: »
    I went from not bothered, to day one - but having played enough of it, I've gone bsck to not bothered again.

That was my feeling after playing the beta, and having read quite a few posts here it seems like I saved myself a few quid.

Without the beta it is possible I would have bought this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

F1ngers wrote: »
    That was my feeling after playing the beta, and having read quite a few posts here it seems like I saved myself a few quid.

Without the beta it is possible I would have bought this.

I don't regret buying it, but I don't feel it's worth the €69.99 I paid for it either.

I actually made a conscious decision to avoid the beta, previews, opinions and by extension the hype. It hasn't paid off in this case. Bungie promised a lot more than they have delivered.

That said, I don't hate or even dislike the game. I'm enjoying it for what it is. It's just that what it is could have been so much bigger, better and generally more fulfilling.

Just got my first purple from an encrypted engram, the amount of materials needed to upgrade it is sick!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,213 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Gandalph wrote: »
    Just got my first purple from an encrypted engram, the amount of materials needed to upgrade it is sick!

I got a legendary engram earlier, but when I got it decrypted all I got was some materials :(

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I got a legendary engram earlier, but when I got it decrypted all I got was some materials :(

Something similar happened me, except I got a level 17 blue for the engram or something, t'is heartbreaking!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement