Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (Bungie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

so what are peoples opinions? all the reviews in progress i am reading and watching arnt exactly overflowing with praise!! very grindy, little to no story, crappy voice acting.

i hope when i get into this today i am blown away but my expectations have sunk a fair bit

I dont find anything wrong with the voice acting tbh, seems fine to me. Definitely best played with friends though, we took on the lvl 8 strike mission last night and were woefully underprepared, needless to say we got decimated. In many ways, I'd compare it to GTA online, where a hub world is created and populated with people from your friends list / geographic location, and each mission loads seperately out of that. Its still early days to be making any meaningful sort of judgement on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Gandalph wrote: »
    From my experience on beta they are just random spawns, I know a couple of locations but sometimes they are there, sometimes they are not. The stuff inside them hasn't been compelling enough for me to go searching for them.

The normal silver chests are random spawns, the gold chests are not.

Gold Chest Locations:
    Old Russia
    On way to warp drive in second mission.
    Above where you fight the wizard at the end of the third mission.
    In a cave between the Mothyard and Forgotten Shore.
    To the left past the pipes out on the water in Forgotten Shore.
    Under Sepkis Prime at the end of the Strike.

Moon
    Between starting area and the hellmouth near a jump.
    Under the stairs at the end of the second? mission
    At the end of the Strike where the enemy ships spawn.

Getting all 5 gold chests in an area gets you something good, e.g Old Russia nets you a faster Sparrow for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Thank you sniper_samurai that's very helpful.

Just thinking are the Gold loot boxes based on your level so might be worth waiting until you need them or should I head pick them up straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

while roaming around the cosmodrome last night I went down into a few underground bunkers and was met by some fairly hefty guys, who took me out with a single blow. Are these area's for later story missions or when your higher ranked up ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,213 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

syboit wrote: »
    while roaming around the cosmodrome last night I went down into a few underground bunkers and was met by some fairly hefty guys, who took me out with a single blow. Are these area's for later story missions or when your higher ranked up ?

Yeah stumbled into a few caves like that, there was question marks where their level should be. Not sure what the deal is with them, they were there in the beta too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

I dont find anything wrong with the voice acting tbh, seems fine to me.

Some of the voice acting has been a little off IMO. Some of Dinklage's lines in particular.

Grand for the most part though. Have been watching a lot of Suits lately so hearing Jessica Pearson giving me mission orders this morning gave me a laugh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭backthephilup

This is probably my favourite thing about the game so far. Have had similar experiences so am always slightly nervous going underground or unexplored areas in general. Also great fun taking a few pot shots at the question mark barstewards before running like merry funk. Was like this in Boreland too. Can't wait until I'm tough enough to go back and give them the proper hiding they so richly deserve

Thank you sniper_samurai that's very helpful.

Just thinking are the Gold loot boxes based on your level so might be worth waiting until you need them or should I head pick them up straight away?

No the loot doesnt level with you. You are best off picking them up while they are still useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

This is probably my favourite thing about the game so far. Have had similar experiences so am always slightly nervous going underground or unexplored areas in general. Also great fun taking a few pot shots at the question mark barstewards before running like merry funk. Was like this in Boreland too. Can't wait until I'm tough enough to go back and give them the proper hiding they so richly deserve

lol, same here. Once I figured out I hadn't a chance I'd throw a quick grenade and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Next Gen Gamer

I came across these feckers in a ships basement I think. They don't even have a numbered rank display just two question marks (??). Instant death for me too.
    I'm really liking this so far, I think people who feel disappointed by it may have been on the hype train too long. As a shooter it really excels, kind of Borderlands esque which I loved anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

What's the best thing to do with the older armour/gear you have when you pick something newer up? Just dismantle it for moolah?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm surprised theres no match maker for co op, is it fun playing solo?

What's the best thing to do with the older armour/gear you have when you pick something newer up? Just dismantle it for moolah?

Dismantle it. You need the materials that are created by dismantling uncommon+ gear to upgrade the higher level equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Am thinking of getting this, is it worth it? What is the campaign like and is the multiplayer any good?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Watched some more of this being streamed last night in a co-op situation.

The game looks grand, if you've nothing else for playing on your new hardware (and you don't :p), then you'd be well served in picking this up, but don't expect anything mind blowing. It's Halo looking, the enemies are all taken out of Halo too, and I'll bet the story is just as lame as Halo (seriously people, if any of you think that Halo is a good story, PLEASE go read some books, it's below average hackneyed nonsense). All that said, I really enjoyed Halo, especially multiplayer, so I'm in no way hating on Destiny and I'm delighted that it's ticking the box for so many people. I'm just really baffled by the hype :)

When it comes out on PC, I'll definitely consider it.

Any thoughts in the single player? Heading into the city later and planning on getting this but only if the single player is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Any thoughts in the single player? Heading into the city later and planning on getting this but only if the single player is good.

A lot of fun and quiet challenging when you play with a fireteam on hard

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

A lot of fun and quiet challenging when you play with a fireteam on hard

Is it fun playing on your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Where is this Cosmodrome is it the third level in the Crucible?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I haven't played it myself, but have been following it as it peaks my interest, but a lot of feedback seems to indicate that it's very repetitive when you're on your own. It's only when you team up that you don't actually notice the repetitiveness. Hopefully someone here can clarify.

• Advertisement

Buy without hesitation. ;-)

humanji wrote: »
    I haven't played it myself, but have been following it as it peaks my interest, but a lot of feedback seems to indicate that it's very repetitive when you're on your own. It's only when you team up that you don't actually notice the repetitiveness. Hopefully someone here can clarify.

I'd agree with that yeah.

Doing the levels on your own and not really interacting with others in your game you'll notice that you do a LOT of retreading the same areas over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Got my PS4 bundle delivered, Roll on 5.30

iMuse wrote: »
    Got my PS4 bundle delivered, Roll on 5.30

Just be aware you'll have an update and decent sized install to do before you get going..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Is it fun playing on your own?

The best way i could describe playing it on your own would be that its like Halo, but with really only one character (the ghost) that talks to you, no cutscenes, no setpieces, and only the vaguest suggestion of where to go / what to do. If you are restricted to single player You might find it quiet and lonely, I know I did last night until a few friends jumped in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Only played the single player so far, and TBH it's like Halo but with Tyrion instead of Cortana.

That said, I enjoyed it a lot. Only at level 3 so far so haven't unlocked the Crucible option, which is what I really want. Holding off on any more judgement until I've played a bunch of PVP and maybe done some more co-cop stuff.

Itching to get back online tonight. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Fully expecting this to be completely dead in a few months. Lots of fun but severely lacking in depth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Just be aware you'll have an update and decent sized install to do before you get going..

It's only 250mb to be fair. Couple of minutes on a decent connection tops, and the install isn't too much longer

Also, quite fond of the companion app. Seems to be one of the better ones.

Almost instant updates across all the stats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Anyone looking to do 3 player co-op on PS4 add me please, GenericDreadHead

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement