Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (Bungie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

TheDoc wrote: »
    I know we came into one such instance yesterday, and it was brutally difficult, but it wasn't exactly clear if it was a PVE instance, or if we had gone into a normal missions that just ramped up in difficulty.

I believe that is the Lvl 6 strike mission, where you team up with 2 others and go through 3 bosses in sequence. It takes about as long as the rest of the 1st missions combined.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,185 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

irishmover wrote: »
    Might not go down as easy at Level 20 and decently geared.

I don't think there would be much difference as the weaponry will be more powerful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Yesterdays games were noticably different, I'd got myself some better gear, and using rifles with 55+ dmg along with some perks I'd gotten and was doing much better. I kinda switch up between the pulse rifle and assault rifle depending on the map and confidence I'm playing with. Pulse rifle is devastating if your aim is good, assault rifle a bit more forgiving. My highest dmg weapon is a 64+ Pulse rifle, so have been knocking around with that.

Every weapon in mp does a set amount of damage per hit and armour values are the same for everyone.

The problem being weapon mods are still taken into account e.g last bullet does double damage on one of the uncommon handcannons and on the uncommon Cydonia AR3 Auto Rifle(which most people were using pvp) has a big clip, high rate of fire and has a mod where when you have less than half a clip left the bullets do increased damage.

Doesn't help that pvp in the beta was as laggy as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Every weapon in mp does a set amount of damage per hit and armour values are the same for everyone.

The problem being weapon mods are still taken into account e.g last bullet does double damage on one of the uncommon handcannons and on the uncommon Cydonia AR3 Auto Rifle(which most people were using pvp) has a big clip, high rate of fire and has a mod where when you have less than half a clip left the bullets do increased damage.

Doesn't help that pvp in the beta was as laggy as hell.

I had no lag or any issues over the weekend which was extremely suprising. Was able to play without any lag or issues.

Have you a source for the weapons being equalised? (In the mode where equalisation does not take place). Because that makes little sense, and not what was being experienced during play. And I read nowhere that values were balanced out for everyone (apart from the modes outlined above)

Cormac... wrote: »
    I believe that is the Lvl 6 strike mission, where you team up with 2 others and go through 3 bosses in sequence. It takes about as long as the rest of the 1st missions combined.

Sounds right. We first had to deal with a wave of NPC's spawning while a Ghost did some work on a relay or something, then we had to fight a big orb thingy teleproting around a room. I think inbetween we faught a big spider tank. Might be mixing up and intertwining seperate missions, we played a lot over the weekend :D

The spider tank thing was unusual actually, it was killing us behind what we considered hard cover, and we all had varying damage outputs depending on where we hit it. We focused on the legs as it looked to provide the most damage output, and then what looked like the armour casing came off, we then started doing LESS damaged to the exposed legs. Was a really weird fight.

A bit drawn out aswell, with the respawning NPC's simply just providing us with ammo drops, it was a bit too tank and spank for my liking. Same with the teleporting orb, there never seemed to be much danger really, apart from being blown up behind what appeared to be solid cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I didn't notice any lag either. I'll be interested to see how they implement the MP. It's something I could see myself playing a lot.

The Spider tank is a bit weird. We'd be hammering away at the legs doing 350-500ish damage with sniper rifles and suddenly you'ld damage it by over 5000. We couldn't work out why. It may have had something to do with grenades that were lobbed at it and while it was taking damage from them it left it susceptible to higher damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I got 0 lag and about 3 disconnects over the few days of the beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sounds right. We first had to deal with a wave of NPC's spawning while a Ghost did some work on a relay or something, then we had to fight a big orb thingy teleproting around a room. I think inbetween we faught a big spider tank. Might be mixing up and intertwining seperate missions, we played a lot over the weekend :D

The spider tank thing was unusual actually, it was killing us behind what we considered hard cover, and we all had varying damage outputs depending on where we hit it. We focused on the legs as it looked to provide the most damage output, and then what looked like the armour casing came off, we then started doing LESS damaged to the exposed legs. Was a really weird fight.

A bit drawn out aswell, with the respawning NPC's simply just providing us with ammo drops, it was a bit too tank and spank for my liking. Same with the teleporting orb, there never seemed to be much danger really, apart from being blown up behind what appeared to be solid cover.

Yeah the tank thing was a pain in the hole. Particularly because after failing at beating it a few times, the other two random guys I was with left, meaning I had to take it down on my own, constantly running out of ammo. Took ages. Funnily enough the Orb thing I beat with very little hassle at all even though I would have assumed it was the main boss.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,185 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah the tank thing was a pain in the hole. Particularly because after failing at beating it a few times, the other two random guys I was with left, meaning I had to take it down on my own, constantly running out of ammo. Took ages. Funnily enough the Orb thing I beat with very little hassle at all even though I would have assumed it was the main boss.

The orb thing was way easier than the tank yeah. Wouldn't have fancied taking own the tank on my own at all!

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The orb thing was way easier than the tank yeah. Wouldn't have fancied taking own the tank on my own at all!

I did and ran out of ammo. I backtracked the level and picked some up but when I ran back to the tank it had fully regerenated it's armour. There's an hour of my life I'm never getting back.

That's the problem with playing with random people. Played it a few times with friends and it was never an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Is the Beta closed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It was easy enough in the right position (down the left side of the area has a lot of cover). Just took ages taking potshots mostly with a sniper rifle, and then diving back into cover.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I didn't notice any lag either. I'll be interested to see how they implement the MP. It's something I could see myself playing a lot.

It plays like there is no lag, then you notice it when you kill someone. Their health bar will go to zero but don't die for another 2 seconds, very noticable when using melee, fusion cannon and sniper rifle. Got fed up of being killed by people who then die immediately after from the punch I landed 3 seconds ago.

The only multiplayer game mode where your equipment values were taken into account was Iron Banner, that is why Bungie stated that you should use your best gear.

In the Dead Sectors playlist all weapons had a preset damage amount that is apparently modified by the impact rating of your weapon and everyone had the same amount of armour.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I did and ran out of ammo. I backtracked the level and picked some up but when I ran back to the tank it had fully regerenated it's armour. There's an hour of my life I'm never getting back.

That's the problem with playing with random people. Played it a few times with friends and it was never an issue.

NPCs packs spawn throughout the fight and drop ammo. You need to liase in terms of distributing ammo.

I believe that if you have the space , local players are put into a public fire team and you can share voice comma.

I did the spider tank on anothet character with two randomers and we had good co ordination with ammo and misdirecting the tanks aggro.

It plays like there is no lag, then you notice it when you kill someone. Their health bar will go to zero but don't die for another 2 seconds, very noticable when using melee, fusion cannon and sniper rifle. Got fed up of being killed by people who then die immediately after from the punch I landed 3 seconds ago.

The only multiplayer game mode where your equipment values were taken into account was Iron Banner, that is why Bungie stated that you should use your best gear.

In the Dead Sectors playlist all weapons had a preset damage amount that is apparently modified by the impact rating of your weapon and everyone had the same amount of armour.

I didn't play in the Iron Banner mode...and gear value and level strength was very much taken into account. Unless..being beta...it put us in Iron banner and displayed the other name.

But already in the last three pages I've seen five differening descriptions for the game types. I'm going to go dig out some definitive explanations as to what mode is what.

I didn't play in the Iron Banner mode...and gear value and level strength was very much taken into account. Unless..being beta...it put us in Iron banner and displayed the other name.

But already in the last three pages I've seen five differening descriptions for the game types. I'm going to go dig out some definitive explanations as to what mode is what.
    Forbes wrote:
    I spoke with Bungie during the alpha and they assured me that multiplayer equalized the health and damage of players so lower level or under-geared players weren’t at a disadvantage.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/07/26/the-good-the-bad-and-the-in-between-of-bungies-destiny-beta/
    xbox.com wrote:
    BUT DON'T get too obsessive about maxing out your character before jumping in. Although higher-level players will get access to a wider variety of weapons and armor, the game removes level bonuses in order to ensure as equitable a playing field as possible.
    http://news.xbox.com/2014/07/games-destiny-competitive-multiplayer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Penn wrote: »

The tank would be an absolute fecker to take down on your own. I seem to draw a lot of aggro off most the bosses and with the tank I can't do anything when I have it's attention, mainly because when it's facing me I have already blown off it's front two legs and havn't got a shot on any of the others, I need someone else to turn it around for me.

And people disconnecting is a pain too. I had two of my fireteam leave in the middle of a big wave in the defence part of the strike mission. Got pulverised by invisible ninjas and snipers.

And for the MP in the crucible I thought it pretty balanced. I went in at level 6 and was still coming out with a positive KD ratio without the use of any machines. I played it a couple of times at level 8 and did find the odd one man super soldier though. In my opinion the auto rifle is absolutely pants for the games. I just used a pulse rifle but it is not that great either. Usually stuck to a sniper or a shotgun depending on the map. The killer to me was that I have grown up with R3 being the melee button in shooters so I always smash it when in close quarters (were that half second could save your life) and end up getting smashed :(

Gandalph wrote: »
    And for the MP in the crucible I thought it pretty balanced. I went in at level 6 and was still coming out with a positive KD ratio without the use of any machines. I played it a couple of times at level 8 and did find the odd one man super soldier though. In my opinion the auto rifle is absolutely pants for the games. I just used a pulse rifle but it is not that great either. Usually stuck to a sniper or a shotgun depending on the map. The killer to me was that I have grown up with R3 being the melee button in shooters so I always smash it when in close quarters (were that half second could save your life) and end up getting smashed :(

I just changed the controller set up so R3 was melee, the button set up you need was called Cold Shoulder I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

calex71 wrote: »
    I assume you never played the borderlands games? those would likely send you to the looney bin with all the numbers on screen :D

The do serve a purpose though as said critical hits , elemental damage etc. they are very un-intrusive compared with Borderlands.

Nothing better than seeing a gold 1000+ in your scope when you headshot a captain !!!!!

Calling it a FPS is off the mark too (not saying you are just in general form what I saw elsewhere) , it definitely has RPG elements as well as other elements, FPS being one but it's really not an out and out FPS. I think those who were expecting Halo mark 2 were the ones most let down by it.

Ah yeah, I totally understand why it's there. But I just don't like it. I never really paid much attention in MMOs at what sort of damage I was doing unless I just got a new weapon. After a few kills you kinda got the gist of what sort of dmg you were doing.

Probably one of the reasons why I dislike MMOs so much... they sacrifice certain aspects of games in order to be practical. Allowing a player to turn of those sort of things would definitely be cool imo.

Yeah didn't like borderlands much tbh, looked great tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I just changed the controller set up so R3 was melee, the button set up you need was called Cold Shoulder I think.

Ya I was going to change it but I was considering how I probably use the throwing knife more than melee and am too used to it now on RB. I'm sure I'll find something to bind R3 to throughout the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Bit worried theres going to be a lot of DLC with this game,theres four planets with playable areas: Earth,Moon,Mars and Venus.

And from reading a eurogamer article(linked below) we may have already done the content for earth and for those who got to play it part of the moon as well. To me that makes it sound like there gonna add a lot of content via DLC. Which would not make me happy. This type of game needs content and variety in environments imo to keep it interesting,i for one dont want to be grinding in the same areas all the time. Anyway,i hope im wrong....

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-28-bungie-reassures-fans-disappointed-that-destiny-only-has-one-playable-area-per-planet

Watched a You Tube video this morning that showed a good bit of lag as described by Super Samurai. I hadn't noticed any myself when playing but it was quite apparent in the video, particularly with melee. The You Tuber (think it was Level Cap) wasn't convinced this was going to be fixed by launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

EoinHef wrote: »
    Bit worried theres going to be a lot of DLC with this game,theres four planets with playable areas: Earth,Moon,Mars and Venus.

And from reading a eurogamer article(linked below) we may have already done the content for earth and for those who got to play it part of the moon as well. To me that makes it sound like there gonna add a lot of content via DLC. Which would not make me happy. This type of game needs content and variety in environments imo to keep it interesting,i for one dont want to be grinding in the same areas all the time. Anyway,i hope im wrong....

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-28-bungie-reassures-fans-disappointed-that-destiny-only-has-one-playable-area-per-planet

Wow didn't think old Russia would be the only place to explore. Sure in that case we have quarter of the game explored already. Kinda disappointed by this, I enjoyed the gameplay but thought old Russia was very bland and each area was the same with a few objects moved around.
    Might cancel pre order and wait for reviews

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

EoinHef wrote: »

There are at least two DLC known at the moment, "House of Wolves" and "The Dark Below" I'd say as season pass is likely so you could safely assume there would be 2 more at least.

We had earth and moon in the beta , but we also saw another area in the multiplayer maps , can't recall it's name now but I would assume it will be a story area too :confused:

Yeah I thought now the Earth area was a bit rrehashed, being the same area over and over and missions bringing you back through the same locations time and time again. Surely there is a lot more content there?

Couldn't imagine that being it, would have to be A LOT more content for this to even be considered an MMO, as they want it to be. Not fond of DLC at all, one of the reasons I've been somewhat distant from my consoles over recent years.

I wouldn't be happy having to fork out for this season pass ****e, after shelling out €50 for the game itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Yeah the season pass rubbish really irritates me. It's effectively a 'stealth' price hike in a lot of cases, since the DLC only brings the content up to the level it should have been in the first instance. Obviously, not all games are like this, but there are a few notable culprits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

FWIW the other area in the Crucible was Venus i think, kind of a Jungle setting.

Also according to some sources what we saw storyline wise (4 main missions i think), was 10% of the game, granted that might be 4 environments, but it's still not 25% of the game. I'd be interested to know just what games the yardstick for environments is? Is it Mass Effect (not exactly open world, more corridor shooter)? Borderlands (different colour palettes and ridiculous areas do not make for different environments... Destiny is styling itself a serious game so cannot get away with having "D&D Area")?

I knew it wouldn't be long till the ole DLC argument raised it's head.
    Are people forgetting this was "meant" to be a 10 year game?
    Let that just sink in, not even Rockstar try and survive for 10 years off the initial €50-€70 sales of each copy of an IP.
    Of course there will be DLC, they would be insane not to pursue this route.
    Maybe even more DLC than we've seen in WOW or the Sims 2/3 or Borderlands 2 (which I think is now up to technically 7 packs)
    If it's a good series and if the DLC is warranted I don't think it should be a problem.
    The current Level cap for the launch version is 20.... 20!!!!
    In 6 years we might be seeing that up to 60.... maybe in 10 years 100!
    Of course i'm speculating, this is of course a game you chose to "invest" in, more than buy, and I mean invest as in money, time, research and emotionally, same way hardcore players of WoW do.
    It's clearly not for everyone, but If you're looking for a quick fix 40 hour FPS meets "insert game type here" your bank account might be better served looking elsewhere.

If that's all the content for earth and is representative of the rest of the areas in terms of size then the campaign would easily be completed in less than 20 hours. I was expecting something more akin to Borderlands in size with plenty of side quests as well as the main story quests. I'll probably get it for the PvP anyway but would be pretty disappointed if the non PvP game isn't huge without the DLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Video showing supers for all classes including subclasses (Hunter's bladedancer super is awesome)

• Advertisement

Well I think the problem is taht Destiny is going to be judged based off the genres it's essentially competing with.

I don't think it's in anyway competing with WoW, but Wow expansion packs are full blown expansions with so much content, and granted they charge what could be the cost of a game in itself, it's well worth it. They provide content throughout an expansion via patches, that further expand the story, the raiding tiers and essentially is free content. You could argue that maybe its not free, in that you buy the expansion, but there needs to be concise and clear exepctations when it comes to DLC for this game.

If its providing new areas with a lot of content, new weapons, NPC's, story etc etc etc that is fine.

If it's providing a few new MP maps, or some ****e re-skins or things, then that is not going to fly.

I'll be perfectly happy if the game plans to go for YEARs, and throughout its time provide new content via DLC. It kinda makes up for a lack of subscription which one might expect from an MMO type game. But I just hope the DLC is content rich, and not just a cheap $$$ scheme.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement