Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (Bungie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Gandalph wrote: »
    Do I get the beta reward for participating in a golden event yesterday or has that been on every day for beta release? Killed one of those big spider bots in the exploration area, got a strange coin I think.

Killed one too, dont think I got a coin though :( killed it within the 5 mins as well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

You bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Now all the bitching and moaning about not being allowed to keep gear begins....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Wasn't too pushed about this. Started playing Friday and finished at 4 on Saturday, then pre-ordered.

MP has me confused. Sometimes it was grand but other lobbies I couldn't kill anyone. Don't think it was down to my level of drunkenis. Just seemed some games I was ridiculously underpowered.

Definately going as a Titan.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah there were some bits in MP where, even taking into account my general sh*ttiness in most MP games, I could not understand how some people didn't die with me lacing them with bullets, yet they killed me easily.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,185 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Maybe it was the iron banners matches? I would rarely end a match with a positive K/D in those but clean up in the other playlist.

I think the motion tracker is terrible though, one second it's dark the next you're surrounded. And there were definitely times where it seemed I should have gotten a kill but did little or no damage, particularly with melee.

Hunter is my favourite class I think, but the super charge and melee attacks seem underpowered compared to the other 2.

Don't think it was Iron Banner. Played a good bit of MP on Friday/Saturday with mixed results. Went into a lobby yesterday evening and played two games. Got the first kill and that was it....seriously? Got pasted for the rest of the session and left bewildered.

Was using a pulse rifle. Historically I've been useless with burst fire weapons but did really well Saturday. Maybe I should have stuck with an AR.

I really miss the Titan jump ability when playing with the other two classes. The super charge for the Warlock though is pretty awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,287 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Not sure what to make of it.

Have NO Idea what is going on in the tower - don't know if I am buying, selling, upgrading or wasting my time.
    Have NO idea what is going on in the missions. There are other people around, doing random stuff when I land, and near where I do missions, but as soon as I enter mission space (and respawning is resticted) there is no one to be seen.... and I could do with the help!

I liked what I played, but given none of my mates have an next gen console, I'm not sure I'll be getting any fireteam help when I really need it during missions.... so I'm not sure how doable the game will actually be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I had the same problem in MP, but put it down to me being terrible. I'm a fairly decent FPS player but I've always used mouse and keyboard, so I'm obviously not very accomplished with the controller. That said though, there were many times I'd get the drop on someone and after hitting them a few times only bring their shields down, then they would turn and insta-kill me, so I ended up feeling like there was a trick I was missing - it was pretty frustrating. I ended up resorting to melee and grenades for most of my kills because I couldn't rely on my guns to actually kill anyone. :eek:

I loved the story missions, but was so bad at the crucible that it may just put me off buying the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,576 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I read last night Nathan Fillion is the Hunter Vanguard leader. If I get the full game, will definitely be going with Hunter class. Only got to play very little over the weekend but it definitely peaked my interest. I had zero interest in this before the weekend but looking forward to hearing more about it now.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,185 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I read last night Nathan Fillion is the Hunter Vanguard leader. If I get the full game, will definitely be going with Hunter class. Only got to play very little over the weekend but it definitely peaked my interest. I had zero interest in this before the weekend but looking forward to hearing more about it now.

There seems to be loads of well known actors doing the voices, I'm nearly sure Daniels from The Wire gives some of the missions from the beacons to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mickeroo wrote: »
    There seems to be loads of well known actors doing the voices, I'm nearly sure Daniels from The Wire gives some of the missions from the beacons to you.

Yeah, that was almost definitely him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Yeah, Lance Reddick is the Titan Vanguard leader. He was also Broyles in Fringe and Falcon in Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes.

Also Samaras VA from Mass Effect is the Warlock leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Thoroughly enjoyed the beta. Dinged 8 on my Warlock and did all the missions and some MP. It looks like muck on the PS3 however. Textures are ****, the game is blurry. Aesthetically lovely, but in terms of performance, it's pants. I'd love to get a PS4 for it, but circumstances don't allow for that sadly. I think this could be my last PS3 game. What I wouldn't do for a PC version...

What I wouldn't do for a PC version...

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of it appearing on PC at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Ok, clocked up about 10+ hours, got a Titan to Level 8 and a Warlock to Level 8. Here were my thoughts:

No team-balancing in Multiplayer? I ended up in a 6v3 game at one stage.

Wish there was a proper map, even just a 2D one. Constantly hitting the button to bring out my ghost had a distinctly Arkham City "constantly hitting detective mode" feel

Tower, not sure if lots of shops selling me the same **** or very specific shops serving a purpose.

Too many types of "Upgrades", vanguard points? Reputation? Materials? Banners?etc. Seemed like a lot to take in, I guess it will make sense in a full release.

Some weapons seem very underwhelming (for me the Shotgun, Hand cannon and Fusion Rifle with it's charged shot)

PvP I found to be good fun overall once I got a handle on it

Spider Tank, what a ****ing slog, shoot-move-shoot-grenade-move-shoot-jetpack

Doesn't seem to be much to differentiate the classes early on, I suspect this will change

If you change your special/heavy weapon, you lose all ammo for it (I think), changed from my standard Sniper a few times when applicable, when I changed back, all my ammos was gone. Not sure how the ammo mechanic works

Loot on bosses? Do we all get it? Just the final blow?

Punching dregs right in their punchable faces.

Game world has a certain Rage-Type Apocalypse feel, mixed with Mass Effect universe, mixed with Borderlands RPG elements, mixed with Halo FPS elements mixed with Star Trek music.

Who are these other 2 playable races?

All Race/Game Area names feel like they were once upon a time, generic placeholders that then ended up "sticking". For Example, Guardian, Tower, The Fallen, The Hive, Captain, Hunter etc etc, everything seems a bit to fluffy and vague, make up some damn silly sic-fi space words bungie.

Overall an enjoyable experience, might just get it Day 1 with a PS4 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Put some good hours into this over the weekend. Was absolutely hooked. Yesterday put in a preorder into Amazon.

I've been struggling with my PS4 purchase in putting hours into it. I play the console sporadically here and there, and knew it would be rough buying at launch really getting into it, but I'm a big PC gamer and really wasn't being excited with recent releases on the PS4.

I need a good title, that has seriously replay value in terms of progression, with friends, to keep me enticed. This looks like it might be it. Halo3 and COD MW+MW2 were the last games that I really put serious time into a console game, but Destiny looks like it could capture that again for me.

Really cleverly constructed game, yesterday I was playing with three friends in a fireteam going through some random missions, until we hit a point where the game just RAMPED up in difficulty out of nowhere. It took proper tactical co ordination and utilising our classes skills and abilities to get through it which pretty much sold all four of us on the game. It was excellent.

The game definitly has a Halo feel to it, but thats not a bad thing exactly. The multiplayer aspect is fun, bit unbalanced in terms of how difficult is it for lower levels to damage higher levels, at level 6 was barely breaking the shields on level 8's, while they were obliterating me, but that's what happens in a gear dependant game. It got a lot better once I hit 8 and was gearing up to be stronger.

PLayed and looks gorgous on my PS4.

I had the same problem in MP, but put it down to me being terrible. I'm a fairly decent FPS player but I've always used mouse and keyboard, so I'm obviously not very accomplished with the controller. That said though, there were many times I'd get the drop on someone and after hitting them a few times only bring their shields down, then they would turn and insta-kill me, so I ended up feeling like there was a trick I was missing - it was pretty frustrating. I ended up resorting to melee and grenades for most of my kills because I couldn't rely on my guns to actually kill anyone. :eek:

I loved the story missions, but was so bad at the crucible that it may just put me off buying the game.

It's a gear reliant game. It's not like a normal FPS where it is equalized for all players. When you are in there, your playing against people of mixed levels and gear.

I was playing against a guy yesterday for a few rounds who had serious gear and was obliterating everyone.

It was very noticable being say level 6 trying to kill level 8's, it was like tickling them.

Also it looks like people weren't fully adapting to the gear element of the game. There was people level 8 I was inspecting using weapons with 20-30 attack dmg, which was insane considering I had rifles doing 55+.

So it was worth remembering that its not an equalised game, it's somewhat gear dependant

TheDoc wrote: »
    It's a gear reliant game. It's not like a normal FPS where it is equalized for all players. When you are in there, your playing against people of mixed levels and gear.

I was playing against a guy yesterday for a few rounds who had serious gear and was obliterating everyone.

It was very noticable being say level 6 trying to kill level 8's, it was like tickling them.

Also it looks like people weren't fully adapting to the gear element of the game. There was people level 8 I was inspecting using weapons with 20-30 attack dmg, which was insane considering I had rifles doing 55+.

So it was worth remembering that its not an equalised game, it's somewhat gear dependant

But I was level 8 and the match said "Level Advantages Disabled", so if you're right then I'm really confused. I think I'm just inexplicably terrible, though I'd love you to be right because the entire time I felt like I was missing some secret knowledge that everyone else possessed.

The gear thing was only relevant in the Iron Banner playlist I think. Everything is equalised in the other playlist. I was using a 37 damage pulse rifle and destroying people with it in the regular palylist, but it was rubbish in Iron Banner.

• Advertisement

Yeah I thought the equipment/gear might be a factor but don't understand how they would spend so much on a game and then have the MP so unbalanced. If you go into the Crucible and get obliterated for an hour you're not going to want to come back. People will leave the MP in droves imo, which would be a shame.

There's always an element of leveling up (Christmas Noobs from COD was always fun) but I haven't played one before where you are at such a disadvantage when starting off.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Yeah I thought the equipment/gear might be a factor but don't understand how they would spend so much on a game and then have the MP so unbalanced. If you go into the Crucible and get obliterated for an hour you're not going to want to come back. People will leave the MP in droves imo, which would be a shame.

There's always an element of leveling up (Christmas Noobs from COD was always fun) but I haven't played one before where you are at such a disadvantage when starting off.

Play a standard MMO and you'll see no difference in it's own PvP environment. What's happening in Destiny is nothing new. You'll find alot of people will enjoy the gearing up and 'pwning' low geared players in multiplayer. Unfortunately these games are all about time consumption and not as much player ability.

irishmover wrote: »
    Play a standard MMO and you'll see no difference in it's own PvP environment. What's happening in Destiny is nothing new. You'll find alot of people will enjoy the gearing up and 'pwning' low geared players in multiplayer. Unfortunately these games are all about time consumption and not as much player ability.

Ah, ok I was looking at it as a FPS. The only MMO I've really played was Final Fantasy which didn't have any PvP element or at least not any that I got involved in.

But I was level 8 and the match said "Level Advantages Disabled", so if you're right then I'm really confused. I think I'm just inexplicably terrible, though I'd love you to be right because the entire time I felt like I was missing some secret knowledge that everyone else possessed.

I didn't even realise there was equalisation game modes :O All the ones I played were not, so levels counted.

Two of the lads in our fireteam played competitive Halo, and I wasn't half bad at console Halo or COD, and we spotted it relatively early on, getting the drop on someone, for them to be able to turn around and kill you.

Weapon damage and gear is a big thing so, can't imagine there is a mode where that is equalised.
    The gear thing was only relevant in the Iron Banner playlist I think. Everything is equalised in the other playlist. I was using a 37 damage pulse rifle and destroying people with it in the regular palylist, but it was rubbish in Iron Banner.

That's weird alright. I don't think I went into Iron Banner at all, is that the equalisation playlist? One I was in was gear and level relevant.

Yesterdays games were noticably different, I'd got myself some better gear, and using rifles with 55+ dmg along with some perks I'd gotten and was doing much better. I kinda switch up between the pulse rifle and assault rifle depending on the map and confidence I'm playing with. Pulse rifle is devastating if your aim is good, assault rifle a bit more forgiving. My highest dmg weapon is a 64+ Pulse rifle, so have been knocking around with that.

I can see hard-core Halo fans who thought Bungie were going to show 343 how it's done being pretty disappointed with this, it's definitely closer to the likes of CoD in how it plays PvP wise, though not quite as twitchy.

gimli2112 wrote: »

Well that's down to peoples expectations. This isn't a straight up FPS game, its a FPS MMO.

So there should be understanding on the part of the consumer, of what an MMO is, and that there is an element of levelling up, acquiring better gear etc.

People didint arrive into WoW, dive into PVP and get obliterated with their **** gear and just stop PvPing, they looked into why they got destroyed, learned there was gear dependancy, and learned how to get the better gear.

Same will be with this I think. It's not an issue with balance at all. That might come down the line as certain weapons, skills, abilities or classes become a bit overwhelming, but the fact someone with better gear and a higher level can stomp lower ones, is hardly an issue with balance, that's unrealistic expectations on the player.

I'd also imagine there will be brackets for Crucible. In other wards when being matched, if you are say level 15, you are placed in a game containing players between 10-20, or maybe 15-20. I don't envisage you would go into a game as a level 6, playing say a level 20 player. That would be stupid and bad design.

I'm somewhat interested to know how the later stages of this game will pan out. Will it just be missions and then the Crucible aspect, or will there be sort of "PvE" style missions objectives where you can play with a party to gear up. I know we came into one such instance yesterday, and it was brutally difficult, but it wasn't exactly clear if it was a PVE instance, or if we had gone into a normal missions that just ramped up in difficulty.

I can see hard-core Halo fans who thought Bungie were going to show 343 how it's done being pretty disappointed with this, it's definitely closer to the likes of CoD in how it plays PvP wise, though not quite as twitchy.

Interesting, I personally thought it felt very much like Halo, actually a criticism we had was it felt nearly TOO much like Halo, and didn't feel unique enough. That also goes for the actual PVE game itself. The names of the enemy factions, the "Ghost" companion, the way the enemy NPC's spawn in their waves felt very Halo, **** there is even a needle gun in the game like :D

That's weird alright. I don't think I went into Iron Banner at all, is that the equalisation playlist? One I was in was gear and level relevant.

Yesterdays games were noticably different, I'd got myself some better gear, and using rifles with 55+ dmg along with some perks I'd gotten and was doing much better. I kinda switch up between the pulse rifle and assault rifle depending on the map and confidence I'm playing with. Pulse rifle is devastating if your aim is good, assault rifle a bit more forgiving. My highest dmg weapon is a 64+ Pulse rifle, so have been knocking around with that.

The Iron Banner was only open a couple of hours at a time and you would have seen two options in the crucible when it was available rather than the one.

Interesting, I personally thought it felt very much like Halo, actually a criticism we had was it felt nearly TOO much like Halo, and didn't feel unique enough. That also goes for the actual PVE game itself. The names of the enemy factions, the "Ghost" companion, the way the enemy NPC's spawn in their waves felt very Halo, **** there is even a needle gun in the game like :D

Oh yeah in that regard its definitely like Halo, there's loads of stuff in the PvE that was reminiscent. I even get the feeling that their original intention was for this to be a Halo game back in the day but the parting of ways with the franchise meant they had to come up with a new universe.

I meant in terms of the PvP it's definitely closer to CoD for me, you go down a lot quicker than in Halo and the way the guns handle with aim down the sights. Though unlike CoD it is possible to strafe a bit and turn the tables if someone has the drop on you and you will be punished if you spray and pray but not to the same extent as in Halo.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah in that regard its definitely like Halo, there's loads of stuff in the PvE that was reminiscent. I even get the feeling that their original intention was for this to be a Halo game back in the day but the parting of ways with the franchise meant they had to come up with a new universe.

I meant in terms of the PvP it's definitely closer to CoD for me, you go down a lot quicker than in Halo and the way the guns handle with aim down the sights. Though unlike CoD it is possible to strafe a bit and turn the tables if someone has the drop on you and you will be punished if you spray and pray but not to the same extent as in Halo.

Might not go down as easy at Level 20 and decently geared.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement