Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blade Runner becomes Blade Gunner **Mod Warning Read OP""

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Would always lock the door, if there is a lock. Habit, and it just feels wrong leaving it open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

just a thought....

if you are so security conscious, that you would have a gun by your bed, then why would you leave a bathroom window open with ladders nearby?

because once you own a gun you don't have to worry about stupid things like that ;)

they'll cook something up to refute any type of sensible questions and it will all depend on will a jury buy it or at least doubt what happened

robinph wrote: »
    Would always lock the door, if there is a lock. Habit, and it just feels wrong leaving it open.

try leave it open and live on the wild side, i did it once :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

davet82 wrote: »
    because once you own a gun you don't have to worry about stupid things like that ;)

they'll cook something up to refute any type of sensible questions and it will all depend on will a jury buy it or at least doubt what happened

it seems to be a bit of a watery defense to be honest and the only defense that they can make sound plausible.

I am wondering if this was just an "unknown" would people be so quick to defend.

it's all a bit fishy

he'll be doing time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Brian017

I don't think there's any juries in the SA legal system. Its all down to the magistrate.

• Advertisement

Brian017 wrote: »
    I don't think there's any juries in the SA legal system. Its all down to the magistrate.

Really? Well you learn something new everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Brian017 wrote: »

This is true, juries were done away with during the apartheid days and now it would be impossible to bring them back (unless they were all upper working and middle classes - which isn't very fair). This bail hearing will be in front a Magistrate, but the actual trial will be in front of a Judge at the High Court.

I wonder how long it will take for the trial to take place and if they will try to expedite it. If he is kept in jail he won't have it easy, and they've said he'd have to use a wheel chair as prosthetics are banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Brian017

Really? Well you learn something new everyday.

Yup just checked they were abolished in 1969.

What really irks about me about the whole situation is that Pistorius and his family are almost playing the victim card, there's hardly a peep about Reeva and her poor family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think she locked herself away in the bathroom afraid for him

That does seem to be the case..
    This will end up like the OJ case....

Do they televise court proceedings in SA, anybody know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

That is an absurd defence.

it seems that only one judge will decide his fate.

did he just say in a statement something along the lines of....i can't believe I am being charged for murder, not to mention premeditative murder..... is this true? If so then :eek::eek::eek:

what does he think he did??

it seems that only one judge will decide his fate.

did he just say in a statement something along the lines of....i can't believe I am being charged for murder, not to mention premeditative murder..... is this true? If so then :eek::eek::eek:

what does he think he did??

he said he was 'mortified' about what he had done, weird choice of words imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

He'll obviously pretend he can't remember anything as he was legless at the time...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Sometimes, but they have already ruled that there is to be no recording or photography when the magistrate/ judge is present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

ebixa82 wrote: »
    He'll obviously pretend he can't remember anything...
    Oops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Not when I lived there (apart from the Truth and Reconcilliation commission). They were allowed to film when the court wasn't in session though. Not sure if it's changed since.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Anyone else think the courtroom looks like a Jerry Springer set?

he said he was 'mortified' about what he had done, weird choice of words imo

really?? :eek:

really?? :eek:
    Oscar Pistorius has said he was "absolutely mortified at the death of my beloved Reeva" during a bail hearing. He denies the charge of premeditated murder, claiming he mistook her for an intruder.

scarlet for me, i thought it was a robber but it was really me bird :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Primary extracts of his court statement, as reported by Reuters
    By about 2200 on Feb. 13 we were in our bedroom. She was doing yoga exercises and I was in bed watching television. My prosthetic legs were off. We were deeply in love and I could not be happier.

I have received death threats before. I have also been a victim of violence and burglaries before. For that reason I kept my firearm - a 9 mm Parabellum - underneath my bed when I went to bed at night.

During the early morning hours of 14 Feb. 2013 I woke up, went onto the balcony to bring the fan in and closed the sliding doors, the blinds and the curtains. I heard a noise in the bathroom and realised someone was in the bathroom.

I felt a sense of terror rushing over me. There were no burglar bars across the bathroom window and I knew contractors who worked at my house had left the ladders outside. Although I did not have my prosthetics legs on, I have mobility on my stumps.

I believed someone had entered my house. I was too scared to switch a light on. I grabbed my 9 mm pistol from underneath my bed.

On my way to the bathroom I screamed words to the effect for him/them to get out of my house and for Reeva to phone the police. It was pitch dark in the bedroom and I thought Reeva was in bed.

I noticed that the bathroom window was open. I realised that the intruder/s was/were in the toilet because the toilet door was closed and I did not see anyone in the bathroom. I heard movement inside the toilet. The toilet is inside the bathroom and has a separate door.

It filled me with horror and fear of an intruder or intruders being inside the toilet. I thought he or they must have entered through the unprotected window.

As I did not have my prosthetic legs on and felt extremely vulnerable, I knew I had to protect Reeva and myself.
    I believed that when the intruder/s came out of the toilet, we would be in grave danger. I felt trapped as my bedroom door was locked and I have limited mobility on my stumps.

I fired shots at the toilet door and shouted to Reeva to call the police. She did not respond and I moved backwards out of the bathroom, keeping my eyes on the bathroom entrance.

Everything was pitch dark in the bedroom and I was still too scared to switch on the light. Reeva was not responding.

When I reached the bed, I realized that Reeva was not in the bed. That is when it dawned on me that it could have been Reeva who was in the toilet.

I returned to the bathroom calling her name. I tried to open the toilet door but it was locked. I rushed back into the bedroom and opened the sliding door exiting on to the balcony and screamed for help.

I put on my prosthetic legs, ran back to the bathroom and tried to kick the toilet door open. I think I must have then turned on the light. I went back into the bedroom and grabbed my cricket bat to bash open the toilet door. A panel or panels broke off and I found the key on the floor and unlocked and opened the door. Reeva was slumped over but alive.

I battled to get her out of the toilet and pulled her into the bathroom. I phoned Johan Stander, who was involved in the administration of the estate and asked him to phone the ambulance. I phoned Netcare and asked for help. I went downstairs to open the front door.

I returned to the bathroom and picked Reeva up as I had been told not to wait for the paramedics, but to take her to the hospital. I carried her downstairs in order to take her to the hospital. On my way down, Stander arrived. A doctor who lives in the complex also arrived. Downstairs, I tried to render the assistance to Reeva that I could, but she died in my arms.

I am absolutely mortified by the events and the devastating loss of my beloved Reeva.

With the benefit of hindsight, I believe that Reeva went to the toilet when I went out on the balcony to bring the fan in. I cannot bear to think of the suffering that I have caused her and her family, knowing how much she was loved.

I also know that the events of that tragic night were as I had described them and that in due course I have no doubt the police and the expert investigators will bear this out.

I have no idea what to make of this. There's something really off about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,933 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i was like totally morto

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

who locks the bathroom door during the middle of the night from the inside and doesnt respond to their name........................................horse**** stumpy, the man is a murderer

who locks the bathroom door during the middle of the night from the inside and doesnt respond to their name........................................horse**** stumpy, the man is a murderer

the defence will argue a frightened woman who also thought there was an intruder

• Registered Users Posts: 20,933 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

seamus wrote: »

that statement makes no sense whatsoever! So he was in bed with his girl, he went onto the balcony to bring in a fan, she goes to the loo without making a sound until she gets there...he hears the bathroom and assumes it's an intruder without so much as a second thought for his girfriend and opens fire on the door???
    99% of men would not have acted until they made sure their partner was safe...like "shhh did you hear that??" or a "i think there's someone downstairs?"

seamus wrote: »

sounds very choreographed by a good legal team imo, i'd love to hear from a professional when it comes to making statements what their opinion is on it.

that statement makes no sense whatsoever! So he was in bed with his girl, he went onto the balcony to bring in a fan, she goes to the loo without making a sound until she gets there...he hears the bathroom and assumes it's an intruder without so much as a second thought for his girfriend and opens fire on the door???
    99% of men would not have acted until they made sure their partner was safe...like "shhh did you hear that??" or a "i think there's someone downstairs?"

but it may not be an impossible chain of events just how unlikely will be up to the prosectution to show.

the statement gives the bear minimun and leaves room for maunover to tweek the story i think even if it sounds totally ludacris to you or me

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I just don't understand why your first instinct would be to fire the gun, not once, but four times at the door. It really doesn't make any sense to me. I know SA has a much higher rate of crime etc and people are rightly paranoid about it but I just can't fathom why you would fire shots at a door.

Would he not have checked if she was awake to call the police if he thought she was still in bed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

When I reached the bed, I realized that Reeva was not in the bed. That is when it dawned on me that it could have been Reeva who was in the toilet.

I returned to the bathroom calling her name. I tried to open the toilet door but it was locked. I rushed back into the bedroom and opened the sliding door exiting on to the balcony and screamed for help.

This bit is WTF?

Reeva wasn't in the bed, and someone was in the bathroom. Now who could that be????

• Advertisement

And what about men who are limited to hopping about on their knees? How well will they hear the partner making their way to the loo as he drags a fan into the room on his knees? How good a view of the bed would he have to be able to tell in the dark if there was a person asleep there or it was just an empty crumpled pile of sheets? If you are limited to getting about on your knees and an intruder is in your house then you will be wanting to shoot them before they get a chance to approach you as well.

Advertisement