Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons to be positive in Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Deiseen

hardybuck wrote: »
    Deiseen wrote: »
    Our politicians HAVE to make this happen in Waterford. We NEED this.

Maybe they'll put it in Waterford due to extra possibility of a tour. No point in having two tours/museums in Cork... Youghal wud be directly competing with Midleton

They need somewhere to help them expand their distilling capacity. Not to do distillary tours.

If it was between Waterford and Youghal, I could see Youghal getting it. Youghal is an hour closer to Midleton than Waterford, and they have a commercial vacancy rate of 20%. Like Waterford, they had a lot of manufacturing that's gone in recent years.

Doesn't necessarily mean they are looking at the city.

Even if it was just the distillation process, there is always the scope for a tour down the road and I'm sure the council would chase it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Bards

Old glanbia site in Kilmeaden perhaps?

Bards wrote: »

I did read that there was interest in this lately.

Cheesy whiskey sounds good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

mire wrote: »
    I can think of a number of excellent sites in Waterford City for this. It would be an excellent idea.

Like where ?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Deiseen wrote: »
    I did read that there was interest in this lately.

Cheesy whiskey sounds good too.

It'd be great to have something go into that site. & access wise it's in a great spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Muttley79

http://www.munster-express.ie/business/hopes-for-investment-at-former-cheese-factory-site/
    Maybe this is what could be going on with Jameson distillery and the old cheese factory in kilmeaden,hopefully something good comes of that old factory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Where's kilmeaden cheddar made now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Bards

Finnbar01 wrote: »

Where's kilmeaden cheddar made now?
    Ballyragget Co.Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Ballyragget Co.Kilkenny

Bit of a disgrace that, shouldn’t be allowed use the name in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

morals and ethics generally dont play a part in big business

• Advertisement

Glanbia bought Waterford foods out in 1997,Waterford foods should never have allowed that sale to go through as glanbia in Kilkenny closed down most of the small co-ops in Waterford as well as closing down kilmeaden and dungarvan which were huge factories and big employers in there day,it all went to ballyragget in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    morals and ethics generally dont play a part in big business
    Muttley79 wrote: »
    Glanbia bought Waterford foods out in 1997,Waterford foods should never have allowed that sale to go through as glanbia in Kilkenny closed down most of the small co-ops in Waterford as well as closing down kilmeaden and dungarvan which were huge factories and big employers in there day,it all went to ballyragget in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Then they came back and spent hundreds of millions at Belview on a new milk powder plant and are now spending another €150 million I believe there a couple of miles on the Kilkenny side of Waterford city. Was there yesterday. Should have taken pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I sense a misplaced sense of outrage at 150m being spent within a few miles a Waterford.

I sense a misplaced sense of outrage at 150m being spent within a few miles a Waterford.

No outrage here harry,I’m just stating facts,over 250 jobs were lost between kilmeaden and dungarvan with the sell off with Waterford foods,now 20 years later yes they have spent 150 million on bellview port with the creation of 83 full time jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭thomasm

I believe there are 600 working on the current construction. The plant needs to be bigger again after this extension to handle demand but they don’t want all eggs in one basket so to speak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Waterford Crystal is made in some Eastern European country...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Which is ironic :)

Waterford Co-op was doomed by overly ambitious expansion while Avonmore (Kilkenny) Co-op grew quicker and invested better as it turned out. When the merger/takeover came it was inevitable that the Avonmore part would hold sway as predicted at the time by many. Waterford was the first super-co-op in Ireland and the biggest victim of what it actually started.

The Ballyragget plant is still the biggest of it's kind in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

It's this still the Reasons to be Positive thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

It's this still the Reasons to be Positive thread?

It's the reality of it all though, isn't it!

People here live in La La Land!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

This makes interesting reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographical_indications_and_traditional_specialities_in_the_European_Union

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Waterford Crystal is made in some Eastern European country...

Not all of it isn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Not all of it isn’t.

So, all of it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Yellow belly craft beer bar and I think grill is opening. They were hiring recently. And by the looks of the colour of paint on the old dignity I’m pretty sure it’s there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I know I am really late to the boat on this but Goldstone gym.

What a great facility and really well priced. Its up there with some of the better gyms I have been too, particularly with the new area downstairs.

Not sure If im a fan of some of the black lighting down there but over great to see such facilities in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Yellow belly craft beer bar and I think grill is opening. They were hiring recently. And by the looks of the colour of paint on the old dignity I’m pretty sure it’s there :D

Will be great to have something back in that premises.

fricatus wrote: »

Will be great to have something back in that premises.

Great to have someone in the foundry, thirsty scholar, mansion House and o Grady's yard. If they could approve the appearance further down John street then we will have a nice little strip.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Notice PC World are moving out to Buttlerstown tomorrow and brining back Currys.

Costa opening as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Notice PC World are moving out to Buttlerstown tomorrow and brining back Currys.

Costa opening as well.

Costa opening where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

erica74 wrote: »
    Costa opening where?

Buttlerstown Retail Park, likely built like Ardkeen.

It was announced in June.

http://www.bannon.ie/news/currys-pc-world-is-coming-to-waterford-retail-park/

Advertisement