Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons to be positive in Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Vladi_ wrote:
    I'm not there atm so not sure about the address but I have the pic.

Old tsb bank in Arundel square

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Vladi_ wrote: »
    dzilla wrote: »
    Old de la salle center?

Maybe old Waterford City Rugby club house on parnel street?

Can you share coordinates via google street view?

I'm not there atm so not sure about the address but I have the pic. :)

This was bought by wetherspoons a few years back and we are still waiting for them to develop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Deiseen wrote:
    This was bought by wetherspoons a few years back and we are still waiting for them to develop it.

Will they ever open I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Wanderer78 wrote: »

The Weatherspoon's chairman is a Brexit cheerleader and has already dropped EU drinks in favour of Commonwealth and UK (ie piss poor) equivalents. I can't really see them following through with this at all once they could get their money back on the property.

Deise Vu wrote:
    The Weatherspoon's chairman is a Brexit cheerleader and has already dropped EU drinks in favour of Commonwealth and UK (ie piss poor) equivalents. I can't really see them following through with this at all once they could get their money back on the property.

Forget about that actually, Brexit, what a disaster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

According to news and star...tenant finally signing for unit in railway square next couple weeks..says a national retailer...I don't know if that narrows it down, is that likes of centra or something, who knows.hopefully pizza hut go in too, that's been flagged six months ago,planning notice done in all I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Max Powers wrote: »
    According to news and star...tenant finally signing for unit in railway square next couple weeks..says a national retailer...I don't know if that narrows it down, is that likes of centra or something, who knows.hopefully pizza hut go in too, that's been flagged six months ago,planning notice done in all I think.

My understanding is that a
    Retail store there might not do well
    Probably will be a shop already
    Residing in Waterford
    In different locations, but
    Can't complain to see new jobs being created and it'll stop the area becoming less
    Eerie in the daytime

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Don't know what your "understanding" is based on? Its adjacent to TK Maxx. Tesco, Costa, Odeon cinema. Not sure you could really describe the area as "eerie"? Pizza Hut have planning so that would also add to area. Car park in Millers Marsh is always busy so right shop could do business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It is eerie! The plaza/concourse and the passages are appropriate for a dystopian science fiction drama, the whole block is hideous really.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Don't know what your "understanding" is based on? Its adjacent to TK Maxx. Tesco, Costa, Odeon cinema. Not sure you could really describe the area as "eerie"? Pizza Hut have planning so that would also add to area. Car park in Millers Marsh is always busy so right shop could do business.

Costa is gone from there. Looks very empty without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭iseegirls

azimuth17 wrote: »

I think my clue as to what is going into the unit has been lost there. I needed to use certain words, if you look back at the starting letters on each sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭azimuth17

It was too clever for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Homebase appears to have escaped store closures in Ireland (2 in Dublin, 1 in Limerick closing). They are are looking for rent reductions in over 70 stores, if Waterford is included hopefully it works out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,145 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Gotta be less of a market share for them too with all the different home and garden stores now.

I'd say that unit is a valuable one in terms of footfall so I would be somewhat surprised if the owner(s) were not exactly open to any reduction in rent.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Any idea how many are working in homebase Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

Gotta be less of a market share for them too with all the different home and garden stores now.

I'd say that unit is a valuable one in terms of footfall so I would be somewhat surprised if the owner(s) were not exactly open to any reduction in rent.

That makes sense alright. The owners would have no problem filling that unit so why would they reduce their income.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭dzilla

Deiseen wrote: »
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Deise Vu wrote: »

Wetherspoons where ready to develop about 3 years ago. Had plans drawn up of what they wanted to do with Evans and The old TSB including a roof top garden and 3 levels of bar and dining areas. It would have introduced a different option into the city centre for coffee / drinks and value for money food without waiting service (which there is an absence off in the city). They where knocked back at each hurdle by the city council down to what they perceived as design flaws and the buildings not fitting into the local area and the bathrooms not having appropriate windows. This was mainly on the Michael street side. Now Michael street is a Kip, tbh with a monstrosity of a public display contraption set to be pulled down, so I don't know what the council wanted put in there, anything would have been an improvement. Anyways by the time Wetherspoons where granted permission Brexit had happened and the rest is history. The members on the city council who have all their own interests in the city center succeeded in safeguarding these. Wetherspoons developed huge premises in Dublin and Cork that are thriving. The fault here lies with the city council and nobody else.

Wetherspoons where ready to develop about 3 years ago. Had plans drawn up of what they wanted to do with Evans and The old TSB including a roof top garden and 3 levels of bar and dining areas. It would have introduced a different option into the city centre for coffee / drinks and value for money food without waiting service (which there is an absence off in the city). They where knocked back at each hurdle by the city council down to what they perceived as design flaws and the buildings not fitting into the local area and the bathrooms not having appropriate windows. This was mainly on the Michael street side. Now Michael street is a Kip, tbh with a monstrosity of a public display contraption set to be pulled down, so I don't know what the council wanted put in there, anything would have been an improvement. Anyways by the time Wetherspoons where granted permission Brexit had happened and the rest is history. The members on the city council who have all their own interests in the city center succeeded in safeguarding these. Wetherspoons developed huge premises in Dublin and Cork that are thriving. The fault here lies with the city council and nobody else.

Is that not just the planning process? Is buildings not fitting into the local area not a good reason for a redesign and look for more information? Can’t see how it is the city councils fault, they have not stopped them from going ahead with the development. Wetherspoons went through the standard process, got planning permission and for reasons unknown to us outside the organisation have not gone ahead with it. The blame lays with Wetherspoons they own the buildings. If they were so worried about Brexit why don’t they sell the buildings now, they would make a profit as property prices have increased a lot since they bought them.

BBM77 wrote: »
    Is that not just the planning process? Is buildings not fitting into the local area not a good reason for a redesign and look for more information?

A crumbling office block from Benghazi would be an improvement on that areas.

If you look at the plans on the city council website you will see that the council where only being anal and delaying the process to safeguard their own interests within the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fenfoz

Not opening up till 2020 according to WLR.

https://www.wlrfm.com/2018/06/19/63922/

• Advertisement

A crumbling office block from Benghazi would be an improvement on that areas.

If you look at the plans on the city council website you will see that the council where only being anal and delaying the process to safeguard their own interests within the city.

So people should be allowed build anything!

How did they delay the process? They asked for further information, they did not turn them down.

Still don’t get how buildings they do not own and gave planning permission to be redeveloped that it is the councils fault that they have not been redeveloped yet. Surely it is the owners fault, they made the decision not to go ahead. Can’t see how the council has blocked this redevelopment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Would be a significant investment for Waterford and presumably would incorporate the usual whiskey tour aspect which seems to be de rigueur.

Our politicians HAVE to make this happen in Waterford. We NEED this.

Maybe they'll put it in Waterford due to extra possibility of a tour. No point in having two tours/museums in Cork... Youghal wud be directly competing with Midleton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Maybe they'll put it in Waterford due to extra possibility of a tour. No point in having two tours/museums in Cork... Youghal wud be directly competing with Midleton

It doesnt say anything about a tour it could just be a distillery,if they were to go the whole hog with tours etc theres nowhere in the city they could build it,maybe the old glass factory site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gardner

positive things about Waterford...... we don't have a blood street :D

It doesnt say anything about a tour it could just be a distillery,if they were to go the whole hog with tours etc theres nowhere in the city they could build it,maybe the old glass factory site?

It doesn't but it I'm sure there are benefits to the company for having a museum/tour incorporated into the factory. This is the kind of thing that tourists love and it is vital that we get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

I can think of a number of excellent sites in Waterford City for this. It would be an excellent idea.

Absolutely no way Cork will allow that Distillery to go outside Cork. Waterford is just being used in this moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

They need somewhere to help them expand their distilling capacity. Not to do distillary tours.

If it was between Waterford and Youghal, I could see Youghal getting it. Youghal is an hour closer to Midleton than Waterford, and they have a commercial vacancy rate of 20%. Like Waterford, they had a lot of manufacturing that's gone in recent years.

Advertisement