Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Time to change my life around for the better minus drink.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

Waiting outside for gym to open reading the acceptance extract. What a great way to start the day.

Got weekly email from Kevin O hara. Great gut living the good life for nearly a year and puts his thought down on a weekly YouTube video and has his own site if you want to Google him. Doing something like that I think is a great idea to sort out and rationalise what is going on in your head.

One thought I was thinking yesterday evening is taking responsibility for your own career. Its definitely something from the acceptance speech that I have control over so I'm taking steps in new year to deal with that. It will make me happier to know where I'm going and not spend another year going through the motions.

A happier and healthier life
    CD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

Fair play to you Carpe Diem. 6.34am and already up and facing the day head on! I need to take a leaf out of your book! Can you send me on this acceptance extract you are talking about please. Sounds like something I could benefit from. I know what you mean about "going through the motions". It's as if we were sleep walking throughout our drinking phase and never really "experienced" any of it, and if we did the memories are very very faded. Scary that. Thanks again for sharing. Trigger (",)

Fair play to you Carpe Diem. 6.34am and already up and facing the day head on! I need to take a leaf out of your book! Can you send me on this acceptance extract you are talking about please. Sounds like something I could benefit from. I know what you mean about "going through the motions". It's as if we were sleep walking throughout our drinking phase and never really "experienced" any of it, and if we did the memories are very very faded. Scary that. Thanks again for sharing. Trigger (",)

God ya - not feeling what you should be feeling and in a daze half the time or in s wicked mood and blaming EVERYONE but yourself.

Had a good day but stressful as lot to do. Ill send on PM tomorrow Trigger as can't face turning on laptop again. Need relaxation time.

Thanks Carpe Diem

Sometimes a majority simply means that all the fools are on the same side.
    --Claude McDonald

If we're to stay straight, we have to be prepared for peer pressure. If anyone tries to get us to use or do what we know is wrong, we have to be prepared. Whether we're prepared to walk away, say "No thanks," avoid slippery places, or actually tell someone we're recovering, it doesn't matter. What matters most is knowing in advance what our plan is. If we are prepared, we'll handle peer pressure well.

Some of us say, "No one pressures me - I don't have to worry." If we realize there will often be pressure, we can accept it and be prepared. The only person who can truly pressure us is ourselves. When we accept this, we have all the power we need to say no, because we are saying yes to ourselves.

--Our Best Days by Nancy Hull-Mast

**** day so time to go to bed and get a good sleep.

Nite all

• Advertisement

Thanks god I'm in bed and ready for a marathon sleep with two weeks off

Good sleep and up in good form on a Saturday morning - the joy of it

Night our on the tiles with n/a beer. God it was uncomfortable just the mess some people were in but crowd I was with tolerable.

I'll prob think twice before doin it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Night our on the tiles with n/a beer. God it was uncomfortable just the mess some people were in but crowd I was with tolerable.

I'll prob think twice before doin it again

Carpet diem
    Do you not think your tempting faith by going out socially at this moment ?

It doesn't seem like your enjoying it anyway,

Keep yourself out of temptation. NO, you are not stronger than this thing, protect your young quit with everything you've got.

Stay out of bars and avoid parties, especially the first 3 or 4 weeks. I don't care how strong you feel, this is a new thing for us and temptation is everywhere.

Avoid it at all costs. Let go of the past... don't look back. Let it go. ALL of it.

Forgive yourself and move on....nothing to see here. There is NOTHING we can do to change what we've done, but we can start today and make things better for our future.

realies wrote: »
    Carpet diem
    Do you not think your tempting faith by going out socially at this moment ?

It doesn't seem like your enjoying it anyway,

Keep yourself out of temptation. NO, you are not stronger than this thing, protect your young quit with everything you've got.

Stay out of bars and avoid parties, especially the first 3 or 4 weeks. I don't care how strong you feel, this is a new thing for us and temptation is everywhere.

Avoid it at all costs. Let go of the past... don't look back. Let it go. ALL of it.

Forgive yourself and move on....nothing to see here. There is NOTHING we can do to change what we've done, but we can start today and make things better for our future.

I totally agree realies - your right.

What you mean by "nothing to see here " ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I totally agree realies - your right.

What you mean by "nothing to see here " ?

I was saying in the context of not looking back on your alcohol life :)

A bit of relaxation watching tele, reading paper and chilling - can't beat it and hopefully be up crack of dawn tomorrow to gym even thou I'm off for the xmas.

Over a week off now now again

On to better things
    CD

Didn't quite get up the crack of dawn - had a sleep in for myself but no harm done - still got the gym done :-)

Turned down few offers to meet up with mates today and tomorrow. No excuse given - just said "can't make it".

Heading home for Xmas with a nice "fresh" self and not hungover!

Looking forward to sleep in for next three days and then will do bit of work after that before heading back to work.

I don't want to stay too idle and want to keep occupied.

Having a nice relaxing day -
    Food and company is great. Drink is never a thing in our house Xmas day.

Hope everyone is well and happy and Santa came :-)

Up without sore head and looking forward to doing nothing although I will do 2-3 hours work on laptop when I'm bored and nothing to do.

I'd like to go back to work on top of things and try keep stress levels down as it can be a trigger.

On to better things
    CD

something ive been doing when I get cravings is breathing out in a controlled way.

It really relaxes you. I picked that up from watching a program about George hook about a guy making speeches and the associated nerves

Just from what you said in the other thread carpet. Please start talking at the meetings if you're still going, it's counter productive otherwise.

Just from what you said in the other thread carpet. Please start talking at the meetings if you're still going, it's counter productive otherwise.

Ya I know but its easier said than done. I'm fairly shy so it can be hard that why I have so much to say on here!!

Ya I know but its easier said than done. I'm fairly shy so it can be hard that why I have so much to say on here!!

Force yourself in to doing it. You won't regret it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭KeefF

Force yourself in to doing it. You won't regret it

I've been going to meetings for the last few months and have only managed to speak a handful of times.
    The bigger the meeting, the less likely I am to speak. I think I feel somewhat intimidated.
    But I would have to say that when I speak I feel much better and much more a part of proceedings. It's something I'm targetting as something to work at.

KeefF wrote: »
    I've been going to meetings for the last few months and have only managed to speak a handful of times.
    The bigger the meeting, the less likely I am to speak. I think I feel somewhat intimidated.
    But I would have to say that when I speak I feel much better and much more a part of proceedings. It's something I'm targetting as something to work at.

Forced myself to share at a meeting today - definitely feel better after it.

Up early this morning ( well kinda) and lot for doing.

Forced myself to share at a meeting today - definitely feel better after it.

I can't recommend it enough. If you tell people how you feel they will help you if they can, if you don't nothing happens. Simple really

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,

When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
    When the funds are low and the debts are high,
    And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
    When care is pressing you down a bit-
    Rest if you must, but don't you quit.
    Life is queer with its twists and turns,

As every one of us sometimes learns,
    And many a fellow turns about
    When he might have won had he stuck it out.
    Don't give up though the pace seems slow -
    You may succeed with another blow.
    Often the goal is nearer than

It seems to a faint and faltering man;
    Often the struggler has given up
    Whe he might have captured the victor's cup;
    And he learned too late when the night came down,
    How close he was to the golden crown.
    Success is failure turned inside out -

The silver tint in the clouds of doubt,
    And you never can tell how close you are,
    It might be near when it seems afar;
    So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit -
    It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Just had what is my last drink for quite some time. Need to get back into shape.

Ended up going out last night and breaking. I did two weeks and got complacent. I just don't know what I want enough

Ended up going out last night and breaking. I did two weeks and got complacent. I just don't know what I want enough

Just need to start again??

Just need to start again??

Ya deffo. Seems like endless failures thou KeefF.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 anon1900

I'm in absolutely no position to be giving an advice , I'm struggling myself at the minute , and I don't claim to know much all I can give is the same ye r giving to me on my thread, support , it brought the fight back into me , don't look at this as a failure , sit with the feeling and use it as a reminder for why you gave it up, hopefully it will help you , look at all the positives , from your thread there seems to be loads of them , I know it's hard but focus on them , I genuinely wish you the best and I hope it picks up for ya, because I understand exactly where you are and how hard it is , something that I need to work on is not letting one mistake get the better of me , don't let it take you over , that's all anyone of us can do ,

Advertisement