Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

so I had hoped that when this phone came out, I'd pick up a 32gb version. but none to be seen. for those that have it, have you found that you're running out of space for apps or is the available space enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

so I had hoped that when this phone came out, I'd pick up a 32gb version. but none to be seen. for those that have it, have you found that you're running out of space for apps or is the available space enough?

Dropbox Cache is a bitch. So I don't bother with it any more. Google drive seems to do it with a lot less caching, but then I don't have much stored on that yet.
    If you're a heavy gamer the space may be a problem as some apps that are initially tiny grow colossal! The phone handles them beautifully but the memory just isn't there for several HD games which sucks to say the least.

I've had no problems with memory yet but I'm not really an android gamer. (yet!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Jernal wrote: »

I've had no problems with memory yet but I'm not really an android gamer. (yet!)

As above. Games are the biggest culprit for me. Spotify stores songs in the msd card and all my pics and videos are there too. I'd be screwed if I didn't have they memory card

so basically if you have one or 2 high end games and/or a sat nav app, no more apps for you (unless you root and can install apps on the sd card)?

so basically if you have one or 2 high end games and/or a sat nav app, no more apps for you (unless you root and can install apps on the sd card)?

Exactly. I wouldn't go around moving them to them to memory card. They start misbehaving or just stop working.

• Advertisement

any sign of of 32gb version coming soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Kenno90 wrote: »
    I've barely used my phone today (busy day in work)

Its at 79% after 9 hours, that Google services is p1ssing me off though, how can that use more power than the f-ing screen

A4MCYbn.png

Guys i posted this a few days ago, and i just wanted to let people know that i disabled Google Now. Since then my battery is twice as good.

Google Services doesn't even appear on the Battery list anymore. So if anyone is having similar issues, try that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

madmoe wrote: »
    You seem like a man who may know but when the Google edition does come out can those of us with the regular S4 flash a stock Android ROM and then get all the updates directly from Google?? Maybe I'm asking for too much ;-)

Cheers,
    M

To come back to this, the more I read, the more I think this may be the case. There's already a way to flash any AOSP ROMs for the US carrier versions on the I9505 as per this, so it would seem we could flash it and Google would push out the updates a la the Nexus line.

EDIT: Also, Cyanogenmod is now supporting us officially! Up to now there were unofficial nightlies but this have progressed. Gonna stick with stock until the Google Edition comes out and see what the story is then WRT Google releasing Samsung sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭Ardent

Has anyone rooted their S4 recently? If so, how?

I tried using the Motochopper method today but it doesn't work. I think this is due to a recent firmware update which makes this root method ineffective?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Guys i posted this a few days ago, and i just wanted to let people know that i disabled Google Now. Since then my battery is twice as good.

Google Services doesn't even appear on the Battery list anymore. So if anyone is having similar issues, try that

How did you disable it?

Somethings not right,I finished charging it about an hour ago,have not used it much and In the battery menu it says 93% 1HR 55MINS left :eek:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

How did you disable it?

Somethings not right,I finished charging it about an hour ago,have not used it much and In the battery menu it says 93% 1HR 55MINS left :eek:.
    Press the Google search bar, then press bottom left button and press settings. Then select turn off Google now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭pah

Ardent wrote: »
    Has anyone rooted their S4 recently? If so, how?

I tried using the Motochopper method today but it doesn't work. I think this is due to a recent firmware update which makes this root method ineffective?

I flashed with Odin, as ive done with my note 1 & 2 and OH s3. Very straightforward.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2219803

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Does anyone know how to get the 40% 02 code? 02 sent me a text saying I could get 40% off the Galaxy Y...no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Stupid question this, but I can't figure it out myself. When I get a new text message, it pops up on the lock screen, but I can't figure out how to go straight to the message from the lock screen. When I touch it, a window appears below saying to drag the screen to unlock, but doesn't give me an option to go straight to the message. Any hints?

SuprSi wrote: »
    Stupid question this, but I can't figure it out myself. When I get a new text message, it pops up on the lock screen, but I can't figure out how to go straight to the message from the lock screen. When I touch it, a window appears below saying to drag the screen to unlock, but doesn't give me an option to go straight to the message. Any hints?
    I think that's just a notification widget window or some such. Can't get it to go direct to text or missed call either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

When mine shows up and I click on the message a lock icon appears below. I then click on the lock and drag the lock. That brings me into the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Quazzie wrote: »
    When mine shows up and I click on the message a lock icon appears below. I then click on the lock and drag the lock. That brings me into the message.

This may have just worked for me, though I'll confirm when I get my next text message. Thanks!

Did this for a missed call. Tapped the red call icon. It shrank a little and the section underneath came to the fore ground. I swiped this section as normal to unlock and it took me to my call log screen.

I find Samsung's lock screen widget implementation to be really annoying. A lot of the time it thinks that I'm trying to expand the widget instead of clicking something on it, which drives me mad. As far as I've tried on a stock Android ROM it worked a lot better.

Also ended up turning off the lock screen touch effects as I find them laggy from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I find Samsung's lock screen widget implementation to be really annoying. A lot of the time it thinks that I'm trying to expand the widget instead of clicking something on it, which drives me mad. As far as I've tried on a stock Android ROM it worked a lot better.

Also ended up turning off the lock screen touch effects as I find them laggy from time to time.

I know what you mean for the widgets but I do like the music player widget and the shortcuts. I have a problem where sometimes the widget takes over the swipe area. A handy workaround I found is just press the back button on your lockscreen that's gives a nice area to swipe over the widget.

For the lag on the lock screen I'm just turned down the different animation scale for 3 things in the developer options. Works for all applications. You lose a fancy open/close animation but now no lag and truthfully after a little while I didn't even know they were gone.

• Advertisement

So here's my big fat otterbox + extended battery mod. Took a bit of messing around but I got there, been using it for a week now and it finally brought my S4 back to more usable and enjoyable level. Screen brightness turned up to 75% gets me around 2 days now.

8962158732_ee9743f5c6_b.jpg
    8962154660_d3f98f5fb9_b.jpg
    8960955461_2172828cf0_b.jpg
    8962147778_3f2c63871a_b.jpg
    8960965807_61d69386c5_b.jpg
    8962164562_608d346c44_b.jpg

There is a tiny hump on the back, but compared to the stock battery cover that comes with all the extended batteries its a lot more comfortable to hold and no one even knows, unless you point it out to them.

Cant wait for the ZeroLemon battery come out, its only going to make this better with the quoted 7500 mah capacity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Ok I have been to the doctor 4th week in a row.
    My smartphone broke and thought that was the reason I am getting panic attacks and depression!!

When I mentioned it to her she said course it could be a reason as I have mindfulness on it as well as everything else.

It is currently being repaired and I will not have it for another few weeks.

I am not due and upgrade but was thinking do I spend €600 to buy the phone outright and sell the one I get back after being repaired. I don't know what to do. The doctor says as I am using it during the day to do my mindfulness that it is a back up coping mechanism. I have had to leave the office early every day and at 12.30 yesterday because of panic attacks.

Oh what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Hi.

I have only started having this problem today and it's driving me mad. I have my screen timeout set to 10 minutes and sure enough my screen does not lock for 10 minutes. However when i go online my screen fades after 10 seconds and locks after 15 seconds. I have smart stay switched on and this will keep the screen on but if i am on the bus and holding the phone low down and rotated then smart stay does not work and it keeps fading out. I have not changed any settings (that i am aware) and so pretty perplexed, anyone else come across this one?

Regards,

Bumper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

bumper234 wrote: »
    Hi.

I have only started having this problem today and it's driving me mad. I have my screen timeout set to 10 minutes and sure enough my screen does not lock for 10 minutes. However when i go online my screen fades after 10 seconds and locks after 15 seconds. I have smart stay switched on and this will keep the screen on but if i am on the bus and holding the phone low down and rotated then smart stay does not work and it keeps fading out. I have not changed any settings (that i am aware) and so pretty perplexed, anyone else come across this one?

Regards,

Bumper

The stock browser has its own brightness setting, is that what you're using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Chet T16 wrote: »
    The stock browser has its own brightness setting, is that what you're using?

All i know is that when i open a google page if i put my phone down for 10 seconds the screen dims and 5 seconds later it locks meaning i have tohit side button then reswipe pattern back in to unlock. This wasn't happening last week this is new

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bodyhead

Got my S4 a week ago, great gadget:D have a couple of questions

I'm a totally newbie on Android, keep hearing words like rooting and flashing the ROM.

Are there any real advantages to doing this on the S4 ?
    If I did say flash the ROM would I lose all the samsung software (I'm guessing I would) will all the hand gestures and other tech stuff disappear?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Nikond800

Jernal wrote: »
    Dropbox Cache is a bitch. So I don't bother with it any more. Google drive seems to do it with a lot less caching, but then I don't have much stored on that yet.
    If you're a heavy gamer the space may be a problem as some apps that are initially tiny grow colossal! The phone handles them beautifully but the memory just isn't there for several HD games which sucks to say the least.

There is a Samsung update to the firmware which addresses a number of bugs but the biggest update is the ability to now move apps to the sd card. I have personally held off buying the s4 for this very reason and was waiting for the new note 3 hoping to get a 32gb version. This update will give me reason now to think about the S4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Nikond800 wrote: »
    There is a Samsung update to the firmware which addresses a number of bugs but the biggest update is the ability to now move apps to the sd card. I have personally held off buying the s4 for this very reason and was waiting for the new note 3 hoping to get a 32gb version. This update will give me reason now to think about the S4.

I read about that update, but it said, its going through carriers before it gets pushed to the phones. hopefully we'll get it soon though

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Nikond800

I read about that update, but it said, its going through carriers before it gets pushed to the phones. hopefully we'll get it soon though

I'd imagine Kenno90 that you could flash the update yourself through odin manually. I must look at my current apps on my s3 and calculate how many of them can be moved to sd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Anyone having an issue with Spotify on the S4 where the bass is near killed off during playback?

Advertisement