Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Cheers for quick reply. I'm in work at moment so not sure of the box brand. I thought there may have been just one box for all (like under UPC) but I did remember seeing cisco mentioned earlier in the thread so thought I'd better ask.

I'll check the box brand later and should hopefully find a working code. Thanks again for the help.

Found out the box brand was Thomson, got it working on the 7th or 8th code but have TV and UPC box both working with WatchOn now.

Handy for when I can't find the remote or just want control of the TV :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭pah

Philip42 wrote: »
    I'm on Meteor. I pulled the German firmware from Sammobile and flashed through Odin and now I have all the aforementioned features but what I was really after was a bug fix to the 4X3 T9 layout keyboard which caused the word suggestions window to flash open/closed without allowing me to choose a word! infuriating! Anyway, this update fixed that too. Be warned though, this probably invalidates your warranty. Couldn't resist myself though and couldn't be bothered waiting for Meteor to release it.

You use the T9 layout? That's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

I use the 3x4 keyboard as well and this bug is so annoying. If your a fast typer the keyboard is so slow to respond and drives you mad. I have had to resort to the qwerty keyboard which takes me forever to send a txt due to my fat fingers and correcting all the spelling mistakes. Im with meteor aswell and dont think i would have the know how to do all that flashing and rooting buisness so going to have to stick it out till meteor release an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

pah wrote: »
    You use the T9 layout? That's crazy.

Everybody thinks that for some reason but I find it MUCH faster than using qwerty. I've always used predictive text on all my smartphones with 4x3 layout. In fact the Galaxy S4 is the only one of the 3 main new androids that uses gesture/swipe on their 4x3 keypad (the others have 4x3 and allow swipe on their qwerty keyboards but not on their 4x3). This was a major deciding factor on me choosing the S4 over the Xperia Z or HTC One. I'd flashed loads of roms with Odin on my S2 so didn't think twice when it came to getting that keyboard bug fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

Everybody thinks that for some reason but I find it MUCH faster than using qwerty. I've always used predictive text on all my smartphones with 4x3 layout. In fact the Galaxy S4 is the only one of the 3 main new androids that uses gesture/swipe on their 4x3 keypad (the others have 4x3 and allow swipe on their qwerty keyboards but not on their 4x3). This was a major deciding factor on me choosing the S4 over the Xperia Z or HTC One. I'd flashed loads of roms with Odin on my S2 so didn't think twice when it came to getting that keyboard bug fix.

I dont use predictive txt at all,just the old fashioned 4x3. I have had the s2 and s3 and never had this problem. So the upgrade meteor release will defo sort this problem?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I remember back in the day not chosing a phone cause the space was in a different place than it was on a Nokia, I think it's brilliant that phones now can be personalised to suit whatever method you like, personally I love the swiping on the QWERTY keyboard, it is 1 of the best inventions ever.

Marco85 wrote: »
    I dont use predictive txt at all,just the old fashioned 4x3. I have had the s2 and s3 and never had this problem. So the upgrade meteor release will defo sort this problem?

If they release the same bug fix update that they released in Germany which fixed it, and there's no reason why they wouldn't, then yes.

Clareman wrote: »
    I remember back in the day not chosing a phone cause the space was in a different place than it was on a Nokia, I think it's brilliant that phones now can be personalised to suit whatever method you like, personally I love the swiping on the QWERTY keyboard, it is 1 of the best inventions ever.

Yeah, it's excellent isn't it. It's a pity the IPhone doesn't give you the option of a 4x3 layout with t9 at least, not even swipe. I would possibly have jumped ship to them if they had.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't want to turn this into a iPhone vs. S4 debate, but I've had a 3S for years and now I've a 5 for work but they all pale in comparison to the S4.

Clareman wrote: »
    I don't want to turn this into a iPhone vs. S4 debate, but I've had a 3S for years and now I've a 5 for work but they all pale in comparison to the S4.

Nice to know I'm not missing anything! I've two mates that have defected from the iPhone to the HTC One recently. They're happy with their move. Having said that, each to their own, and as you say, don't want to spoil the thread with that kind of debate. I will say the level of support seems to be really good from Apple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Best Keyboard is the Swiftkey flow!

Mc Love wrote: »
    Best Keyboard is the Swiftkey flow!

The Swiftkey keyboard is good alright but they've said they have no plans to release a "flow"version of 4x3 keyboard which cancels them out for me. Mind you, I think the native keyboard on the S4 is something to do with swiftkey and I think they may have had to leave the flow on the 4X3 keypad because what the mighty Samsung wants, the mighty Samsung gets! That's why they managed to get a "Google experience" S4 that'll be released end of June in the States, which will supposedly have an SD slot and removable battery, all which goes against what Google want. I think even the move app to sd card feature has been dropped for the latest versions of android but reintroduced by Samsung on the S4 following the storage debacle. It seems that Samsung is calling all the shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Ok I've got a weird bug someone else may have encountered. Any time I try to use a Samsung App I get an error saying 'The certification process must be completed before you can use your Samsung account.'

This directs me to the a notification, which presumably starts the certification process. All well and good except the entire process is in Korean, and from what I can tell I can't complete it unless I'm on a Korean network or have an i-pin, whatever that is.

It's a real pain as I can't even use the stock browser or update any of the apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Simi wrote: »
    Ok I've got a weird bug someone else may have encountered. Any time I try to use a Samsung App I get an error saying 'The certification process must be completed before you can use your Samsung account.'

This directs me to the a notification, which presumably starts the certification process. All well and good except the entire process is in Korean, and from what I can tell I can't complete it unless I'm on a Korean network or have an i-pin, whatever that is.

It's a real pain as I can't even use the stock browser or update any of the apps.

Access your email from a PC, you should have an email from Samsung with a link to follow in order to active your Samsung account, follow this link and it should work.

That is a weird bug but i'd be surprised if this doesn't sort it out for you. :-)

Achilles wrote: »
    Access your email from a PC, you should have an email from Samsung with a link to follow in order to active your Samsung account, follow this link and it should work.

That is a weird bug but i'd be surprised if this doesn't sort it out for you. :-)

No emails unfortunately. I even checked my spam folder. I think the problem might stem from me already having a Samsung account, which I logged into when I set up the phone.

A possible solution would be to create a new account from scratch with a different e-mail, but it won't let me add or delete a Samsung account now that one is set.

In all likelihood I'll be flashing AOSP or Cyanogenmod in the coming weeks, but it would have been nice to try out the stock experience.

Simi wrote: »
    No emails unfortunately. I even checked my spam folder. I think the problem might stem from me already having a Samsung account, which I logged into when I set up the phone.

A possible solution would be to create a new account from scratch with a different e-mail, but it won't let me add or delete a Samsung account now that one is set.

In all likelihood I'll be flashing AOSP or Cyanogenmod in the coming weeks, but it would have been nice to try out the stock experience.

Have you tried clearing the data of the Samsung WatchON application?

Achilles wrote: »
    Have you tried clearing the data of the Samsung WatchON application?

Just tried, no effect unfortunately. I can't even ask for help on the samsung apps site as I need to complete the certification process to login to ask for help! I asked on the samsung customer support site, who replied saying I need to ask on the Irish support site, which doesn't have the GS4 in it's list of supported devices. :rolleyes:

Why not give them a call? There is an Irish support number on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Nikond800

I'm on Meteor. I pulled the German firmware from Sammobile and flashed through Odin and now I have all the aforementioned features but what I was really after was a bug fix to the 4X3 T9 layout keyboard which caused the word suggestions window to flash open/closed without allowing me to choose a word! infuriating! Anyway, this update fixed that too. Be warned though, this probably invalidates your warranty. Couldn't resist myself though and couldn't be bothered waiting for Meteor to release it.

Thanks for that. Ordering a sd card, extra battery and case etc. Once I've the sd card I'll flash that German firmware. Out of interest, is the German firmware branded?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hey all,
    I am annoyed by the volume limiter pop up that keeps coming up.....how does one knock this off? Checked in the sound settings but no joy :-(

Cheers,
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

madmoe wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I am annoyed by the volume limiter pop up that keeps coming up.....how does one knock this off? Checked in the sound settings but no joy :-(

Cheers,
    M

This is a part of Android 4.2. I had it in the old Galaxy Nexus, Couldn't find a a way to do it.

:(

There seems to be a lot of updates coming through for WatchON, VU+ is finally listed as an option, even if it doesn't work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Kenno90 wrote: »
    This is a part of Android 4.2. I had it in the old Galaxy Nexus, Couldn't find a a way to do it.

:(

Grrrrrr....so annoying! I had a custom ROM on my Galaxy Note II and there definitely was a way to turn it off. I might do a Google search and see.....

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Not really S4 specific I think but something which I've noticed on mine which I hope someone has a solution to.

I've been watching the Lions games in work through a streaming flash site on my phone. I know Flash is officially not supported by Android but you can get it working by manually installing the APK and using a different browser (in my case I use Firefox beta).

My issue is whenever I try put the player in fullscreen all I get is a black screen but with the sound working. If I leave it in normal view everything works as normal but cannot for the life of me get full screen working!

Any one have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

madmoe wrote: »
    Grrrrrr....so annoying! I had a custom ROM on my Galaxy Note II and there definitely was a way to turn it off. I might do a Google search and see.....

Cheers,
    M

Same here. Wrecks my head...

Nikond800 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Ordering a sd card, extra battery and case etc. Once I've the sd card I'll flash that German firmware. Out of interest, is the German firmware branded?

That's a very good question, and I'm not sure is the answer. All I can say is, when I booted up after flashing with Odin, the default language was German and everything came in German. Just changed it to English (Ireland) and everything seemed to set up in English. Also, there's a couple of German market apps but these can be removed. I'm delighted with it. Incidentally, I got Jellybean on my S2 in a similar way, and I just read on Meteor forum that Meteor have only just released it! ! Can't believe that. Think I had it on the S2 about 6 months ago! Wouldn't have been able to wait that long for this update. Once again, bear in mind, this probably invalidates your warranty and that, but I've got the Meteor rom downloaded and I think I might be able to flash that back on if necessary to go back to square one, although I have heard of the existence of some counter which is incremented that can be checked to see how many times your phone has been flashed with firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Has anyone tried downloading any of those UltraViolet copies of movies you get when you buy some dvd's? I tried one but it only downloads a file or something and you still have to be on wifi to watch it through an app. Is this the way they work or have I been doing something wrong? I was hoping it would work much the same as the iPhone and download to the video tab and could be watched offline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Not really S4 specific I think but something which I've noticed on mine which I hope someone has a solution to.

I've been watching the Lions games in work through a streaming flash site on my phone. I know Flash is officially not supported by Android but you can get it working by manually installing the APK and using a different browser (in my case I use Firefox beta).

My issue is whenever I try put the player in fullscreen all I get is a black screen but with the sound working. If I leave it in normal view everything works as normal but cannot for the life of me get full screen working!

Any one have any ideas?

You seem like a very productive employee :P

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Regarding the lions of sorts. Sky sports android app is quality. 5.69 yo yo per month. Only thing is it seems to lack red button support. That or clumsy me hasn't figured it out yet. It's great though especially if your somewhere without tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Anyone have any idea why sometimes after I type up a reply on various forums or even try to thank a post, it does not work?

It is very random and very annoying.

Advertisement