Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Well All,

I successfully rooted my phone.

Now what the hell do I do next?

What apps, roms etc should I go for? I know CyanodenMod seems to be everyones favourite?
    I am trying to find info on Roms, Kernels (whatever they are).

I am searching for info on all this online, and I either cannot find it or the language is too complicated for a novice like me.

Apologies as I am sure this has been asked to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Well All,

What apps, roms etc should I go for? I know CyanodenMod seems to be everyones favourite?

I am searching for info on all this online, and I either cannot find it or the language is too complicated for a novice like me.

I would be of the opinion that it's too early to be flashing to full custom roms. Go with the latest stock samsung and remove the stuff you don't want. There should be some nice stable roms in a few months

Well All,

I would have researched all of this and then decided what I was rooting for and whether I needed it before I actually went for it....

Cyanogen is only good if you don't want any S-features, otherwise something like Omega is the way to go (I assume they have something on the S4)

Basil3 wrote: »
    I would have researched all of this and then decided what I was rooting for and whether I needed it before I actually went for it....

Fair point, I used to jailbreak and mod my old iphone and wanted to do the same with the S4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Well All,

They've all got their pros and cons. I'm speaking from experience on S3, so the availability/compatibility with S4 might not be there yet.

I found that CyanogenMod and Slimbean were my two favourite ones. They're both lightweight ROMs, with plenty of features. Neither can run the "S" apps, though, so if you're a fan of S Planner, S Voice, etc, steer clear, as mentioned above.

I found that Omega was fairly clunky on my S3, so if you want a Samsung-based ROM, try Hyperdrive. I haven't tried it myself, but it's supposed to be decent enough.

Currently I'm using the phone with stock samsung firmware (leaked version of 4.2.2) while rooted. I find that it's working really well and the battery life is better than with any of the custom ROMs that I tried (I know there will be some who will say that custom ROMS give better battery, but not in my experience).

Main reason I went back to stock was because Juice Defender started to act up on the custom ROMs, and I was depending on it for battery saving. Since going back to stock rooted, I use AutomateIt instead and it controls all the stuff that JD did, and more. Battery is going better than ever.

My advice: just try out a few of the ROMs that are stated to be compatible with the S4. You'll only know for yourself by trial and error which one you like. Don't count out the idea of running a rooted stock ROM with a different launcher, though....it might actually do exactly what you're after and be more stable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Fiddlex

Just noticed on my s4 my home screen doesn't rotate into landscape mode. I have auto rotate on and it works fine in every app but not on the home screen. Is this an issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Quazzie wrote: »
    I've barely used my phone today (busy day in work)

Its at 79% after 9 hours, that Google services is p1ssing me off though, how can that use more power than the f-ing screen

A4MCYbn.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Kenno90 wrote: »

Its at 79% after 9 hours, that Google services is p1ssing me off though, how can that use more power than the f-ing screen

Can you try clearing app settings?
    Fiddlex wrote: »
    Just noticed on my s4 my home screen doesn't rotate into landscape mode. I have auto rotate on and it works fine in every app but not on the home screen. Is this an issue ?

It's set to be that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I imagine if you have mobile data/wifi on, and Google apps are syncing/getting data in the background.

Maybe try "Juice Defender" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

My Google services uses practically nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Fiddlex

It's set to be that way.

OK thanks for the reply. Don't use it anyways just noticed that it didn't do it and was wondering.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

markc91 wrote: »
    Im joining on the 11th :P
    i am joining the galaxy s 4 owners club on june 17th :D

Welcome to the family *high fives*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Jernal wrote: »

I've seen other S4 like that, some its so small it is not even on the stats, i need to figure out whats causing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Well All,

FasterGPS and AdAway are my favourite for a rooted phone. I guess you have some su installed already?.

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I guess you have some su installed already?.

SuperSU is what I have, that what your asking? (I am an android noob)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

SuperSU is what I have, that what your asking? (I am an android noob)
    Yes

A4MCYbn.png
    Jernal wrote: »

It's all relative. If you hardly touch your phone, then of course the screen isn't going to be at the top of the list. Likewise, in Jernal's screenshot, he had been using his phone, so the screen is the biggest battery consumer.

At the end of the day, you're only dropping about 2% battery per hour (including some time spent actually using the phone, I'd imagine), it's not a huge drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

A4MCYbn.png

I wonder do you have Google Now activated or perhaps you're signed into Latitude/Location Reporting turned on? Might be them checking your GPS/location constantly.

On the custom rom question - like has been said, leave it a while. The phone is barely out a month so dev support is growing.
    Between the I9505 having a well supported processor and the Google Edition S4 coming out, we should have some pretty slick AOSP roms coming in the next month or two.

I had used Litening as well as some AOKP and AOSP roms on my S2 and I tended to stick with Cyanogenmod - decent support base and it'd get you to the latest flavour of Android.
    If you do end up going down this route, you'll lose the S-apps, as someone has said.
    As per this thread on XDA, the following work/don't work for the S4.
    What's working:

Audio
    GPS
    NFC
    Compass
    Proximity Sensor
    Wifi
    USB mass storage
    HW accelerated gui
    HW accelerated video
    Camera
    USB/Wifi tethering
    Bluetooth

Not working:

Bluetooth Calls using BT headset (A2DP works fine)

My battery life is pretty damn good so far and I've frozen plenty of bloatware so I'm tempted to stay on the default Samsung rom for the moment (I got a sim-free phone so no additional carrier bloat).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Cossax wrote: »
    On the custom rom question - like has been said, leave it a while. The phone is barely out a month so dev support is growing.
    Between the I9505 having a well supported processor and the Google Edition S4 coming out, we should have some pretty slick AOSP roms coming in the next month or two.

I had used Litening as well as some AOKP and AOSP roms on my S2 and I tended to stick with Cyanogenmod - decent support base and it'd get you to the latest flavour of Android.
    If you do end up going down this route, you'll lose the S-apps, as someone has said.
    As per this thread on XDA, the following work/don't work for the S4.

My battery life is pretty damn good so far and I've frozen plenty of bloatware so I'm tempted to stay on the default Samsung rom for the moment (I got a sim-free phone so no additional carrier bloat).

You seem like a man who may know but when the Google edition does come out can those of us with the regular S4 flash a stock Android ROM and then get all the updates directly from Google?? Maybe I'm asking for too much ;-)

Cheers,
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

1day 38mins so far on mine and still at 56% :D

Jeez guys ye must (pick one or two):
    1. Not use the phone at all
    2. Not use it as a smartphone
    3. Keep turning off all the powers all the time
    4. Have brightness set to lowest
    5. Have a different phone
    6. I dont know?

Those guys with the long battery life's. Go into screen under battery information and write down the screen on time. Cant be more than an 1-2 hours

My daily run:
    Spotify for 1-2 hours, streaming and offline cached
    Screen 75%
    Data, GPS and Sync Always on.
    S Health On
    Google Now & Latitude off (caused big battery drain, regardless of the phone)
    Check Facebook, Twitter and Boards every 30 mins or so
    Play the odd game the odd time for a couple of mins
    Email coming in every hour (Outlook and Gmail)
    Viber, Voxer running in the back.

Generally no or little calls but lots of messaging. With the stock battery id be happy at 8-9 hours battery life with barely reaching 4 hours screen on time.

madmoe wrote: »
    You seem like a man who may know but when the Google edition does come out can those of us with the regular S4 flash a stock Android ROM and then get all the updates directly from Google?? Maybe I'm asking for too much ;-)

Cheers,
    M

I can't give you a definite answer but I do think you'd have to wait for some changes to be made to the Google Edition S4 rom before you could update - you probably have the I9505 and I'd presume the US will be a different variant.

Someone who followed the GE launch might know more and could correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Cróga

So just got the phone and trying to put in my pin code but if I don't touch the screen for a few seconds it turns itself off even though I have the charger connected. Is this meant to happen?

Cróga wrote: »
    So just got the phone and trying to put in my pin code but if I don't touch the screen for a few seconds it turns itself off even though I have the charger connected. Is this meant to happen?

Yes. Why don't you just put it in? :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

After lots of messing around from network providers, I'm due an upgrade right now.

Just wondering, anything to rival this out in the near future?

Considering the note 2 at this stage also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Got an S4 from work on Friday and I have to admit I'm really enjoying it. I thought my HTC One V was a nice size but now it just seems small!

The speed of the S4 is really superb, loading up apps, websites etc happen in no time at all.

I'll read back over the thread but anything I should download to really help me get the best from the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 nolo_

anybody know what the story is with the O2 website saying that the galaxy S4 is €619 but then when you click into it the pre-pay price changes to €639? any body had any experience with this?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭markc91

I had been planning to upgrade my bill pay contract to get this in two weeks with meteor and pay €99 for the phone and €49 a month but if i buy it outright payg is there any decent deals i.e would it cost less in the long run?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

I love mine but is anyone finding a problem recording videos and then playing them? they seem to just stop playing for me.

Advertisement