Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Unstable? Maybe I'll wait until the Google S4 comes out and someone makes a rom then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

funkyflea wrote: »
    Unstable? Maybe I'll wait until the Google S4 comes out and someone makes a rom then.

Their all unstable :) Most of the time they work fine, by unstable I mean might not work as you would expect it, bugs, rebooting, crap battery life or performance. As I said I haven't looked into it, but plenty of info on XDA

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, its early for a well rounded rom. Wait a lil while then find out what's popular on XDA.

ED E wrote: »
    Yeah, its early for a well rounded rom. Wait a lil while then find out what's popular on XDA.

I do wonder will the Nexus S4 be same model with different software or the different model with different software.

If its the same model underneath that means ROM's can be ported straight over, definitely getting the S4 then :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I do wonder will the Nexus S4 be same model with different software or the different model with different software.

If its the same model underneath that means ROM's can be ported straight over, definitely getting the S4 then :)

It looks like it's just a standard S4. Seeing as the US (and our) version is using a Qualcomm chip this means making roms is relatively easy, much easier than the Exynos S3 or S4. I can't see any reason why Google would want to go with a custom hardware S4. I'm half tempted to get an S4 now. The S3 is great and while CM10.1 is surprisingly good given the lack of documentation or sources for the Exynos chip, the S4 will have much more stable roms now. Still not sure should I hold out for an upgraded Nexus 4 either. Decisions, decisions.

• Advertisement

It looks like it's just a standard S4. Seeing as the US (and our) version is using a Qualcomm chip this means making roms is relatively easy, much easier than the Exynos S3 or S4. I can't see any reason why Google would want to go with a custom hardware S4. I'm half tempted to get an S4 now. The S3 is great and while CM10.1 is surprisingly good given the lack of documentation or sources for the Exynos chip, the S4 will have much more stable roms now. Still not sure should I hold out for an upgraded Nexus 4 either. Decisions, decisions.

Well S4 has a memory card slot so I could instantly upgrade the phone to 80GB (which is what I have on my Note 2).

Plus documentation was never available for Video out on Samsung phones, I've always stayed away from Vanilla ROM's for that reason alone. I wanna be able to keep my video out.

Though I would miss Samsung's Video Player and All Share that works very well for streaming movies, pictures and music over WiFi to my Samsung TV. I know there's third party alternatives but Samsung has a nice set up so why change?

Though will probably pick an S4 next week

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭markad1

Anyone notice with the updated viber....when you attache a picture from the gallery to a conversation....then delete the conversation the picture also gets deleted from your gallery.
    I've lost a few pictures because of this, does this happen to anyone else??

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Folks,

Having a small issue. Have the S4 a week. Been an Apple man all my life up to last week so I am not overly familiar with all things android. Anyway I got a Sandisk SD card at the weekend. Since then my phone restarted/crashed twice (restarts in 3 seconds max). I heard since buying it, that Sandisk cards have a poor history with the Galaxys. Do you think that is the issue? Or could it simply be the phone crashed? I am not overly worried about it yet but would hate for it to be an issue down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

"Google surprised no one with the announcement, which sees Samsung's latest flagship Galaxy being made available with the stock Android mobile operating system. The handset, which will run Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, sees Google shunning Samsung's Touchwiz user interface to turn the handset into a Nexus device. Google will offer the device with an unlocked bootloader, and the firm said that the smartphone will receive Android updates just as promptly as other stock Android devices."

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2268417/google-announces-samsung-galaxy-s4-handset-with-stock-android

I hope it means more source code for cyanogenmod folks -> better quality ROM. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Ah seriously!

How many times has anyone dropped their phone??
    I think its the design of it. I'm dropping it several times a day.

I took out insurance thank God. Did anyone else take out insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

pinkstars wrote: »
    Ah seriously!

I took out insurance thank God. Did anyone else take out insurance?

No I didn't, can I ask with who and how much.

I bought the case mate tough today. Much more protection if it does fall now, oh and better grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Do any retail stores carry otterbox cases here? Looking to get one but Amazon will take a few weeks to ship it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Do any retail stores carry otterbox cases here? Looking to get one but Amazon will take a few weeks to ship it.

I did notice that the Vodafone store and CPW have actually a good selection of cases for the s4. Saw a couple of ottorboxes too but can't remember price or which ones.

Regarding earlier question on insurance, I decided if I was going to pay this much on a new phone then I'd better take some out. Bought phone in CPW so took their insurance cover too. It's around 15 a month (direct debit) but covers nearly every possibility plus you can cancel it anytime.

I have the casemate too.

It's €15 a month.

I must have the same insurance as I bought my phone in the CPW and my insurance sounds the same, same price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

pinkstars wrote: »
    I must have the same insurance as I bought my phone in the CPW and my insurance sounds the same, same price too.

Haha yeah. It was a decent price and covers alot so I decided why not.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I got insurance from three for 13.99 per month. Haven't dropped it yet. *fingers crossed*

Not sure will I keep it on. Must get a case though.

On the case pricing, I saw otterbox commuters for €34.99, and the defender for €49.99 in vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

MarkR wrote: »
    I got insurance from three for 13.99 per month. Haven't dropped it yet. *fingers crossed*

Not sure will I keep it on. Must get a case though.

On the case pricing, I saw otterbox commuters for €34.99, and the defender for €49.99 in vodafone.
    do both otterboxes come with the built in front screen protector?

rok wrote: »
    do both otterboxes come with the built in front screen protector?

Been researching them this morning, the defender does, the commuter doesn't but it does come with one that you can use if you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

I ordered my phone on Monday afternoon and received it Tuesday morning. The battery on the phone is quite good. Haven't charge mine since yesterday morning and I've got 4% battery left.Way better than my old phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Squaredude wrote: »
    I ordered my phone on Monday afternoon and received it Tuesday morning. The battery on the phone is quite good. Haven't charge mine since yesterday morning and I've got 4% battery left.Way better than my old phone.

Ye I'm going to bed at night with 50% which i love, though i hate half charging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I ordered mine on Monday and no sign of it. Not happy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Knine wrote: »
    I ordered mine on Monday and no sign of it. Not happy

To be fair, that's only 4 days.

Where did you order it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

I love the phone except for the back.
    Anyone see any decent replacement back covers?
    Thinking of this
    http://r.ebay.com/G8El6S

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Sonics2k wrote: »
    To be fair, that's only 4 days.

Where did you order it from?

Not good enough as they promised next day delivery. Order before 3pm & delivered the next day. Ordered with Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Rooting the phone was fairly simple, was expecting it to be a bit more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Knine wrote: »
    Not good enough as they promised next day delivery. Order before 3pm & delivered the next day. Ordered with Vodafone.

Have you called them? Usually Vodafone provide a tracking number so you can see what the delay is?

Honestly though, the phone is brand new and stocks are obviously limited everywhere. Granted 4 days is a bit longer than you expected, but it could be worse. Could be another month ^^

I ordered one today along with a defender case and 32GB Micro SD card. Moving from an original iPhone which I've had for nearly 5 years so it'll be quite the jump :D

I ordered one today along with a defender case and 32GB Micro SD card. Moving from an original iPhone which I've had for nearly 5 years so it'll be quite the jump :D

Jeez fair play for making it last that long. Last time I seen one was held together with sticky tape. Then again the guy was prone to dropping his phone all the time.

He got an iP4S the day it came out and the same thing was there 4 months later :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How much is the card?and where are did you order from?

Advertisement