Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Mine has asked me a few times to do this, i think its everytime i turn the phone off.

I just ignore it as this stage and swipe it away doesn't seem to affect anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Bought my s4 as planned at lunchtime yesterday in CPW. I asked girl at counter what were the chances it was sim-free and she mentioned that only the s4 were sim-free. I remember reading different here but to her credit she did some checking and found out as mentioned here the latest batch they got in are not sim-free (and have bloatware) :(

Following advice I got her I logged into my vodafone this morning requested a nac by entering my IMEI and within two seconds I was presented with an unlock code. Put in my friends 3 sim card and entered the unlock code, phone said it was network unlocked and connected to the 3 network! Happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Jeffrey Lebowski

Where would be the cheapest to get a decent sized memory card? 32 or 64 gig.

21 Euro on Ebay from Irish seller. Bought one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Looking at a fairly heavy duty case, maybe something along these lines:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Case-Mate-military-Xtreme-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B00BJ0K8CK/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_t_3_AE1H

Anyone got links to something similar in a rubber mould??

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Sandisk sd's have known issues with samsung devices mainly the S3 and some reports of problems with the S4 so try and pick a Samsung Micro SD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

80s Child wrote: »
    Looking at a fairly heavy duty case, maybe something along these lines:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Case-Mate-military-Xtreme-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B00BJ0K8CK/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_t_3_AE1H

Anyone got links to something similar in a rubber mould rather??

Jesus that thing could withstand a nuclear bomb.
    liamnojo92 wrote: »
    Sandisk sd's have known issues with samsung devices mainly the S3 and some reports of problems with the S4 so try and pick a Samsung Micro SD.

I've had no problem with my Sandisk 32GB card. What kind of problems are you talking about, i got the class 10 and its lightning quick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

ED E wrote: »
    Ah **** one man. This is why its always best to buy the case before you buy the phone.
    Kenno90 wrote: »
    Ah no way man :( I love the phone out of the case, but your comment just put it back in it.
    Let us know where you get it fixed

Strangely enough I bought a case (another €39.99) but it's one of these ones that is actually part of the phone cover with a screen flap so not really heavy duty as the rubber mould in link above. I think it was pure bad luck it dropped onto its corner. Anyway O2 (Sligo) have quoted me €200 for repairs.

They mentioned it being sent to Dublin but not a specific place, wonder if it's the place on Abbey Street or would they have their own repair centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Plazaman wrote: »
    Strangely enough I bought a case (another €39.99) but it's one of these ones that is actually part of the phone cover with a screen flap so not really heavy duty as the rubber mould in link above. I think it was pure bad luck it dropped onto its corner. Anyway O2 (Sligo) have quoted me €200 for repairs.

They mentioned it being sent to Dublin but not a specific place, wonder if it's the place on Abbey Street or would they have their own repair centre?

They all use fonmenders as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I had a 64GB SanDisk in my s3 and it worked great. Same one in my note 2 . Never had any problems.

Samsung ones are slightly faster, but the price is a little steeper too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I chanced my arm and bought one off of eBay - cost me about €15 including postage & works fine on my S4

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Samsung ones are slightly faster, but the price is a little steeper too

Neither are faster, just depends what class you get. Get a C10 and its all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Bought my s4 as planned at lunchtime yesterday in CPW. I asked girl at counter what were the chances it was sim-free and she mentioned that only the s4 were sim-free. I remember reading different here but to her credit she did some checking and found out as mentioned here the latest batch they got in are not sim-free (and have bloatware) :(

Following advice I got her I logged into my vodafone this morning requested a nac by entering my IMEI and within two seconds I was presented with an unlock code. Put in my friends 3 sim card and entered the unlock code, phone said it was network unlocked and connected to the 3 network! Happy days :)

How on earth did you manage to do it. It won't let me to pick model of the phone, only brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

I swear you needed to have topped up by at least a certain amount with the phone registered with that emei before they give you the nac.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've had no problem with the Sandisk card I have in it, have used it for downloads, books, movies and music, no problems at all, but memory cards are the same as hard disks for me, 2 types, those that have failed and those that will fail, so it doesn't bother me too much when they do fail.

kave2 wrote: »
    How on earth did you manage to do it. It won't let me to pick model of the phone, only brand.

No need for model or brand just IMEI for me.

I did it through the Unlock NAC section in My Vodafone

https://www.vodafone.ie/myv/mymobile/phoneanddevice/nac/mynac/

There is section on that page that allows you to enter in the IMEI of a phone you want to unlock (SG IV in this case) and then the code is emailed/text to you. It's also shown on the website incase you don't get the message.

Whole process took about a minute :)

Have also now flashed a pre-rooted stock rom that removed some of the bloatware and of course allowed to install some of application I use that require root access while still allowing KIES updates etc

ED E wrote: »
    Neither are faster, just depends what class you get. Get a C10 and its all the same.

Samsung ones are faster. You can't get slow 64GB memory card from a mainstream brands. Their all UHSC 1 or class 10 in old terms. Which mine is. Don't forget the class describes the minimum speed class they qualify for. It's not a speed cap...

Pop over to XDA and you'll see some speed comparison. Samsung one is marginally faster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I can't find what model is being sold on Irish market. Is it GT-i9505 (snapdragon)?
    I want to be sure it'll get cyanogenmod in a next couple weeks and that doesn't seem to be the case for GT-i9500 (exynos)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Yep they're all i9505s

I bought mine this week from CPW and the current batch they have in is the GT-i9505.

It seems most places are selling the GT-i9505 bar possibly one or two places (Tesco i think was mentioned).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I swear you needed to have topped up by at least a certain amount with the phone registered with that emei before they give you the nac.

You do:

From Vodafone site "Looking to unlock a phone to use it on other networks? Then you'll need to use a Network Access code (NAC)."

PREPAY

"Below are the details of what make you eligible for an NAC:
    You need to have topped up by at least €127 in the last 6 months to get an NAC code. See below for more info about more then one NAC.
    €127 for first NAC.
    €254 for second NAC.
    €381 for third NAC.
    Your phone needs to be bought from Vodafone retail outlet.
    NACs are unavailable if you have been disconnected/ported from Vodafone for more than 6 months.
    You can request no more than 3 NACs in a 12 month period. "

BILLPAY

"Below are the details of what make you eligible for an NAC:
    Your Vodafone account must be paid up to date.
    Your phone needs to be bought from Vodafone retail outlet.
    You must be connected to Billpay for at least 12 months or have spent €200 on your Billpay account.
    NACs are unavailable if you have been disconnected/ported from Vodafone for more than 6 months.
    You can request no more than 3 NACs in a 12 month period."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Friend of mine works for Samsung care (phone shop) in the Czech Republic, he said none of the phones are network locked in Czech anymore.

No need for model or brand just IMEI for me.

I did it through the Unlock NAC section in My Vodafone

https://www.vodafone.ie/myv/mymobile/phoneanddevice/nac/mynac/

There is section on that page that allows you to enter in the IMEI of a phone you want to unlock (SG IV in this case) and then the code is emailed/text to you. It's also shown on the website incase you don't get the message.

Whole process took about a minute :)

Have also now flashed a pre-rooted stock rom that removed some of the bloatware and of course allowed to install some of application I use that require root access while still allowing KIES updates etc

When I enter emei code I get following message:
    You're eligible to receive the NAC code for your phone
    However, we don't have your particular NAC available on our database right now. Please complete the request form below & we will email the NAC code to you as soon as possible
    On the next screen is asking for make and model. However when I enter Samsung(or any brand) it won't let me pick model, there is no drop-down menu.
    On Vodafone forums I got diff. link where you can fill all the details but need to wait for 7-11 working days.
    I was just surprised that it worked for you; from what I found here or Voda forums most people have the same issue as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

@kave2
    Did you get that spigen case yet? How do you find it if you did?

@kave2
    Did you get that spigen case yet? How do you find it if you did?

Hi, not yet, still waiting. Hopefully I'll get it this week. It's coming directly from Spigen and US post is fairly slow.

Edit: Lol, just arrived.
    20130515131336.jpg
    20130515131353.jpg

It fits perfectly, button feedback is pretty good as well. Feels like a quality product.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Hi, not yet, still waiting. Hopefully I'll get it this week. It's coming directly from Spigen and US post is fairly slow.

20130515131336.jpg
    20130515131353.jpg

It fits perfectly, button feedback is pretty good as well. Feels like a quality product.

Nice. I was thinking that, or the red one.

13-huawei-ascend.jpg

Looks a lot like a more colorful version of the Ascend G300 :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I bought mine this week from CPW and the current batch they have in is the GT-i9505.

It seems most places are selling the GT-i9505 bar possibly one or two places (Tesco i think was mentioned).

I have a Tesco 1 and it's a i9505

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I was able to unlock my S4 last week online, easy peasy. Does anyone know if / how it's possible to install stock android?

I want a 'nexus S4' for myself :)

• Advertisement

funkyflea wrote: »
    I was able to unlock my S4 last week online, easy peasy. Does anyone know if / how it's possible to install stock android?

I want a 'nexus S4' for myself :)

There's probably an unstable version of Stock Android on XDA somewhere.

Advertisement