Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

BTW I heartily recommend turning on the alternative movement. It really tightens up some of the issues with movement that existed prior to the patch!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭Corvo

I had to put this down for a couple of days due to other committments, but yesterday one of the lads called over and he wanted to see it in action as he was looking to buy it himself.

Anyway, I fire it up and I decide on picking up the Witcher contract for
    The Shrieker

I must have fought that thing 20 times and couldn't beat it, and I had prepared well. But just kept bleeding out.

I put down the controller and my mate says he will have a go. Mind you, he's never once played this game.

He flys off towards it on Roach and because he doesn't know how to dismount from him (or in fact missed the on screen prompt) so he just glides past him hacking and slashing.

Beats him first time and never got off Roach.

I couldn't stop laughing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Attacks on horseback are extremely powerful. You can have great fun cutting down bandits on the road.

That said, I found that contract easy myself while others much tougher. Like the previous game most foes have particular weaknesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Yeah, learnt early on that attacks on Roach are way, way stronger. Especially at the start of the game when you're a low level. Being able to hold attack to slow down time before your strike is great as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Finished it and it's one of those games that immediately leaves me envying people who haven't played it yet because they get to experience it all anew.

I got the ending where
    Ciri goes off to take her place as Emhyr's heir, which I thought was the 'good' ending. Ciri just ending up as a Witcher would be a waste and someone like that could do so much more good as an Empress. I helped kill Radovid and Dijkstra which I'd wanted to do for ages and generally really liked how things turned out.

Can't wait for the DLC now, right now I honestly think it's one of the best three games I've ever played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Coming soon but not this week
    CK7tAUFUMAAAiVP.png:large

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Just downloaded the new finishers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jaysus fair play to CDPR, game didn't necessarily need it but a lot of fans asked for it. Don't Think I'll use it as I'm happy with my current end game and to use that for the Expansion packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm desperately putting off the end game. All side quests, contracts and scavenger hunts done. All DLC done. Just used all my materials to make all 4 sets of superior armor and weapons (only level 31 so no point doing Masterclass yet) Suppose it's time to answer all those question marks in Skellige as I've done all the ones in all the other places.

This is the single best RPG I've ever played and I don't want it to end just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AnLonDubh

This would really be in my top five of all time, voice acting, quests, everything was almost flawless.

Having read the books, the ending is somewhat odd/divergent, but I think it was better than a low key one that would have matched the books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,118 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm desperately putting off the end game. All side quests, contracts and scavenger hunts done. All DLC done. Just used all my materials to make all 4 sets of superior armor and weapons (only level 31 so no point doing Masterclass yet) Suppose it's time to answer all those question marks in Skellige as I've done all the ones in all the other places.

This is the single best RPG I've ever played and I don't want it to end just yet.

The ones in the water? Don't waste your time.

I already have been. Rubbish Smuggler's caches that you have to dump every three discoveries cause they're all common heavy armour and crap weapons.

I take it you can't freeroam after the last mission? (I'm on '
    Final Preparations
    ' anyway).

Grayditch wrote: »
    I take it you can't freeroam after the last mission? (I'm on '
    Final Preparations
    ' anyway).
    You absolutely can. It drops you back into a pre-final quest world state for you to go clear up all the contracts and secondary quests you might have missed. Another thing to love about the game.

I never read anything about what way to build and kit your character, so not sure how I fair at level 21 compared to others.

Do people go for all one type of armour, for example? Mine is a mix of light and medium, I think. Not sure if that effects me much like it would in Skyrim.

How do people mainly work their character points? Think the must haves for me are Quen and Axii, stage 1 and 2, and fast attack.

Quest wise, I'm as far as "Brothers in Arms" (not quite sure how much of the main quest I've completed here), but I'm going back to tidy up all the side missions now and so on, I think.

The armour/weapons are staggered by level as well, so I went griffin > cat > griffin enhanced > cat enhanced > etc.

I don't notice a huge difference in the perks anyway.

Very happy with how cool the Wolven armour looks. I'm probably gonna mostly use the Ursine swords though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I'm not noticing a massive difference in the armor sets or perks as I level up really. I am finding it easier than at the start as I actually have an idea about how the combat works. Speaking of, the combat is a very nice balance. I rarely die from fighting stuff around my level but I am constantly wary of the opponent as your health can get drained so fast.

One minor irritation, does anyone else notice that sometimes Geralt won't draw his sword when foes approach? I don't notice this when it happens so end up trying to block a sword with my bare fists. Then, by the time Geralt has recovered from the staggering I've lost half my health bar. Very annoying.

I'm not noticing a massive difference in the armor sets or perks as I level up really. I am finding it easier than at the start as I actually have an idea about how the combat works. Speaking of, the combat is a very nice balance. I rarely die from fighting stuff around my level but I am constantly wary of the opponent as your health can get drained so fast.

One minor irritation, does anyone else notice that sometimes Geralt won't draw his sword when foes approach? I don't notice this when it happens so end up trying to block a sword with my bare fists. Then, by the time Geralt has recovered from the staggering I've lost half my health bar. Very annoying.
    It might be coincidence, but I've only started noticing that after the big patch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I havent downloaded any of the dlc yet :pac:

Geralt has been sometimes forgetting to draw his sword since day 1 for me. I think it's maybe when you attack before the game has registered you're in combat, maybe.

• Advertisement

I havent downloaded any of the dlc yet :pac:

Same!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

The fools gold dlc is quite good

The DLC missions aren't just cutting floor buts thrown in, they were clearly kept aside. They're quality. Like most missions in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

RE: New Game +
    Regarding some of the questions that appeared since yesterday, here are some answers.

Enemies will be stronger obviously.

What carries over?
    Player experience (if you're below level 30 when finishing the vanilla game, you will be bumped to level 30 for the start of NG+), items (excluding: quest items, books & letters, Gwent cards, usable items, trophies) and alchemy recipes.

When starting New Game Plus you can select any difficulty level.

You can obtain the Death Match achievement when playing the NG+ mode.

What's the starting level of the character when beginning NG+?
    The same that you had when finishing the game, if above 30, otherwise you start at 30. You also get a free Clearing Potion at the start so you can reset your skills and try a different build.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/45519-New-Game-is-coming-it-seems?p=1866418&viewfull=1

I have to say, I'm a massive fan of CD Projekt RED after this game. Loads of free content, and a game that has so much straight out of the box.

Patches brought out with fixes that the fanbase called for, and just an all round excellent game to boot.

Serious respect for them.

Such a class company.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Geralt occasionally not drawing his sword was happening for me too prior to the update.

Anyone know if there is a workaround for the 'Skellige's most wanted' quest? Played it twice last night and when I
    kill the werewolf it just walks back to the top of the combat area and stands there howling.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Geralt occasionally not drawing his sword was happening for me too prior to the update.

Anyone know if there is a workaround for the 'Skellige's most wanted' quest? Played it twice last night and when I
    kill the werewolf it just walks back to the top of the combat area and stands there howling.

Was going to ask this myself, I think the quest might be glitched since the last update.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Was going to ask this myself, I think the quest might be glitched since the last update.

Yeah, I head a quick look online and there are a few threads about it on various sites. Thought there might have been a workaround similar to the 'Black Pearl' quest rather than waiting for the next update.

• Advertisement

Turned it on last night just to wander around and mop up some of the contracts, never done that with a game I'd finished before and I certain I'm going to play through it again on New Game +, definitely my favourite game since Wind Waker.

Advertisement