Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I've been mostly doing the main quest and have missed most of the side quests, so which side quests are you favourites? I might try a few
    You could not have picked a worse game in which to skip the side quests. The secondary missions in this game are better than the main quest in any RPG since Baldurs Gate II, just do them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

I've been mostly doing the main quest and have missed most of the side quests, so which side quests are you favourites? I might try a few

Off the top of my head, do the Keira Metz side quest in Velen if you can at the moment. The one where she asks you to go to Fyke Island.

Also, the contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭Evade

The Baron's family quest is pretty good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

"Wild at Heart" - very tough making a decision on that one. Kept on thinking had I done the 'right' thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Lads, when's a good time to start Hearts of stone? I'm level 31 and just finished the bald mountain quest in the main storyline and starting Final Preparations. I've looked online and some people say it's better to finish the main story first and others say to do it before you finish the main story, so I don't know really. I'd like to hear people's thoughts here.

If I start hearts of stone am I locked into doing it until I've finished or can I still go roam the map and do secondary quests/treasure hunts/witcher contracts?

Honestly it doesn't make a huge difference. It's completely separate to anything else you've done. Really stands out well on it's own.

I did it after the main questline was finished and I thought it worked well like that. All though I can understand people doing it before because the world basically goes back to a state before the very final quest once you've finished it (bar characters etc being there). And they don't like the feeling of an empty world with no main driving quest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Just about to start the battle of Kaer Morhen. Had to quit. Not sure I want the story to start coming to an end. This has been the best game I've ever played.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Not really a spoiler, just regarding where you are in the game...
    There's still a good bit of content after Kaer Morhen. You still get to go back and complete most quests you had, and still have access to the entire game world

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Don't worry just play the mission ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Came across Polygons, review of The Witcher 3 earlier in the week. The name of the reviewer jumped out straight away but couldn't remember from where. Thought it was a pretty terrible review in itself until I realised who Arthur Gies was again, best remembered for his infamous Sim city review. Now I remember why I never look at that site.

I finished that mission where you act in a play. I think I zoned out a bit in the run up to it because it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

You put on a play which is similar to dudu's predicament in the hope that he will attend and reveal himself? Was that the idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭Corvo

I finished that mission where you act in a play. I think I zoned out a bit in the run up to it because it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

You put on a play which is similar to dudu's predicament in the hope that he will attend and reveal himself? Was that the idea?

Yes, t
    he play is geared towards revealing one's self etc. and that no matter what age, race, species you can be accepted (which goes totally against the tone of the game, because even as a Witcher you generally despised).

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Came across Polygons, review of The Witcher 3 earlier in the week. The name of the reviewer jumped out straight away but couldn't remember from where. Thought it was a pretty terrible review in itself until I realised who Arthur Gies was again, best remembered for his infamous Sim city review. Now I remember why I never look at that site.

Just spotted that same lad gave Fallout 9.5

I put down fallout after a few hours to come back to this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Just spotted that same lad gave Fallout 9.5

I put down fallout after a few hours to come back to this

Witcher 3 has ruined fallout 4 for me, and perhaps most future games in the genre also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Uriel. wrote: »
    Witcher 3 has ruined fallout 4 for me, and perhaps most future games in the genre also :)

Same here, the Bethesda model of RPG is ruined for me after playing the witcher and seeing how well all quests were done.

Every thing felt unique and the smallest of quests felt like the dev's spent loads of times on it.

Not like, go collect 20 Nirnroots. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Very interesting vid for any fan of the game or gaming in general, this guy puts out some great content.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Just about to start the battle of Kaer Morhen. Had to quit. Not sure I want the story to start coming to an end. This has been the best game I've ever played.

You're not at the end yet so don't worry. That part of the game is absolutely epic though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Has anyone here read the books? I have and I'm kinda unsure as to how This game fits into the chronology

Ive just gone to vizima and had a discussion with
    the emperor, however, the way the scene is played out, its acknowledged that Ciri is his daughter, something that wasn't confirmed in the books until almost the very end, yet Geralt and Yennefers relationship to her seems to be played down to a degree.

maybe I'm overthinking it and should just treat it as its own standalone thing, but the overriding story from Witcher 2 hasn't been addressed yet either - namely
    yennefer having been taken by the wild hunt and geralts search for her - or was their initial appearance on the road to vizima meant to cover that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

maybe I'm overthinking it and should just treat it as its own standalone thing, but the overriding story from Witcher 2 hasn't been addressed yet either - namely
    yennefer having been taken by the wild hunt and geralts search for her - or was their initial appearance on the road to vizima meant to cover that?

Not read the books, but I did play The Witcher 2 and I thought the same as you, I think they just glossed over it with that meeting in Witcher 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Geralt traded himself for Yennefer leading to him having to ride with the Wild Hunt for a while.

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Not read the books, but I did play The Witcher 2 and I thought the same as you, I think they just glossed over it with that meeting in Witcher 3.

Absolutely. I played them back to back. You spend the entire of Witcher 2 searching for Jennefer. You find her at the start of Witcher 3 without much bother than she's gone a moment later.

• Advertisement

Wasn't it said right at the end of Witcher 2 she was alive and likely had amnesia too and that she was in Nilfgaard :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Wasn't it said right at the end of Witcher 2 she was alive and likely had amnesia too and that she was in Nilfgaard :confused:

Maybe so, I still have my save game from right before the game ends so I might check it out over christmas when I've plenty of time. Its not a deal breaker either way, it just seems a little odd, the equivalent of dedicating your life to tracking someone down, then meeting them and all you say is 'hows it going?'

The biggest issue with the Witcher 3, for me, was that it became repetitive - the contracts were mostly: talk to X NPC, walk to area, use Witcher senses, kill monster, return - talk to X NPC, walk to area, use Witcher senses, kill monster, return, rinse, repeat if necessary. Then the treasures were: walk to area, kill beast, collect treasure. There was little to no variety between them.

Also.. I recently let my brother-in-law play the game on PS4, because he was trying to convince himself to buy one, and he did new game. Unfortunately this seems to have completely reset my entire progress, which is rather unfortunate.

The biggest issue with the Witcher 3, for me, was that it became repetitive - the contracts were mostly: talk to X NPC, walk to area, use Witcher senses, kill monster, return - talk to X NPC, walk to area, use Witcher senses, kill monster, return, rinse, repeat if necessary. Then the treasures were: walk to area, kill beast, collect treasure. There was little to no variety between them.

Also.. I recently let my brother-in-law play the game on PS4, because he was trying to convince himself to buy one, and he did new game. Unfortunately this seems to have completely reset my entire progress, which is rather unfortunate.

Almost any game can be reduced to that process. Its the interactions with the NPC's that sets this apart imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I hate when games need to be played on hardest level to get a platinum trophy :( surely the fact it would take like 80 hours plus to finish should be enough dedication to get it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Almost any game can be reduced to that process. Its the interactions with the NPC's that sets this apart imo.

This is why i loved the quests in Witcher, compared to say Fallout. There were some great stories in there. Yes, many of the quests worked in the same way (get quest, go there, kill enemy, return etc...), but the different enemies and tactics that you met, along with the writing of the quests, is what set it apart for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

So I jumped into this after about 20 hours of Fallout 4. Just looking for a bit of a change.

I'm only a couple of hours in and just met
    Yennefer
    . So far everything is more "scripted" and contained that I'm used to with Bethesda games. Plenty of cut-scenes and hand-holding.

At what point does it.... open up? ie, allow a bit more exploration etc? It all feels quite restricted at the moment.

quarryman wrote: »
    So I jumped into this after about 20 hours of Fallout 4. Just looking for a bit of a change.

I'm only a couple of hours in and just met
    Yennefer
    . So far everything is more "scripted" and contained that I'm used to with Bethesda games. Plenty of cut-scenes and hand-holding.

At what point does it.... open up? ie, allow a bit more exploration etc? It all feels quite restricted at the moment.

You're still only in the starting area albeit getting ready to leave it, there are 2 more massive open areas for you to explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

You're still only in the starting area albeit getting ready to leave it, there are 2 more massive open areas for you to explore.

3 Really, when you include the isles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Ah ok. I didn't even stick around that area and moved onto the next one. Should I have explored more? I felt like the plot was pushing me on.

Advertisement