Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Have to admit to being a bit jaded and frustrated with this.

Low enough level and have gone exploring so most of the enemies I meet only need a 1hit to kill me. And with the slllooowwwww loading time I am just not feeling the love here.

I can see it has the potential for me to be a great game, maybe I just chose the wrong setting. At the moment I'm off to find the Baron's daughter and have completed most of the sidequests of a low enough level, but even at gwent I suck big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    What gear did you use? and what was your character build? I have a mastercrafted Feline gear set and mastercrafted Griffen sword set and he is making sh1t of me.

I start by using quen and dodging, but he does that teleport kick that breaks quen and 2 hits me then. I tend to be unable to roll out of the way quick enough, then end up with no stamina when I do dodge/roll to recast quen.

I read about that Arch griffon decoction but never used it. (yet)

I used cat armour as well, but personally, I found the Feline swords (bleeding) or the ursine ones (adrenaline) much better. The griffin ones are only handy if you use a lot of signs (I'm not sure if there's much call for signs in this battle).

If you're finding yourself running out of stamina, use tawny owl to help with st. regain.

I personally went for a combat heavy build, concentrating on quick attacks, and dodging. I spent any remaining points on helping quen and then alchemy, to help with toxicity levels as I used a lot of potions.

If you're not using potions, the decoction could work for you, but I've never really used them.

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    What gear did you use? and what was your character build? I have a mastercrafted Feline gear set and mastercrafted Griffen sword set and he is making sh1t of me.

I start by using quen and dodging, but he does that teleport kick that breaks quen and 2 hits me then. I tend to be unable to roll out of the way quick enough, then end up with no stamina when I do dodge/roll to recast quen.

I read about that Arch griffon decoction but never used it. (yet)
    I used master crafted bear armour and master crafted wolven swords, my build was focused on defence and heavy attacks.
    Quen was the only sign I bothered with in this fight. Use arch griffon decoction in combination with heavy attacks for maximum damage when you strike.
    You just keep dodging around him and when he lets up roll up to him, hit him once and dodge away immediately. It takes time and patience but it works.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Taltos wrote: »
    Have to admit to being a bit jaded and frustrated with this.

Low enough level and have gone exploring so most of the enemies I meet only need a 1hit to kill me. And with the slllooowwwww loading time I am just not feeling the love here.

I can see it has the potential for me to be a great game, maybe I just chose the wrong setting. At the moment I'm off to find the Baron's daughter and have completed most of the sidequests of a low enough level, but even at gwent I suck big time.

Quickest way to level is just doing story missions. Side quests don't really level you up that much at all.

Cheers, I like exploring but guess I should wait until I can survive a bit longer. Those load times are killing me.

Thanks again for the tip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Thanks Lads,

Archgriffon decoction is the best, along with the superior Tawny Oil and superior swallow when needed.

Used Quen for the whole fight, and respeced to give me more vitality and concentrated on heavy attacks and critical hits.

After about 10 goes and lots of dodging and quen, killed him. He was still fit to one hit me at times even if I had full health and quen on with an overhead heavy attack.

That Archgriffon decoction is the best.

So I just finished the game. I have a question about the ending.
    Ciri just reappears in the Inn from the start of the game and you go off being witchers together. Does it tell you at all how Ciri got back from the White Frost? Or did I just zone out at the moment it was explained?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Do you not think you should spoiler that for the people who are obviously still playing?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So I just finished the game. I have a question about the ending.
    Ciri just reappears in the Inn from the start of the game and you go off being witchers together. Does it tell you at all how Ciri got back from the White Frost? Or did I just zone out at the moment it was explained?
    It wasn't specifically explained as far as i know. Depending on your conversation with her at the end, she can survive or die after she steps through. I assumed she was just strong enough, and had something to stick around for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Geralts life is really just about banging and playing Gwent. A good life :cool:

• Advertisement

Awww man. I thought it was going to be a post about Blood and Wine expansion release date! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

sheep? wrote:
    Awww man. I thought it was going to be a post about Blood and Wine expansion release date!

Second half of the year is all they're saying unfortunately :P

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Second half of the year is all they're saying unfortunately :P

A part of me is saying "aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhrrrrghhhh"

Most of me is saying "They can take as long as they like, flippin' legends."

sheep? wrote: »
    Awww man. I thought it was going to be a post about Blood and Wine expansion release date! :D

Hah I havent even started into banging and playing qwent in the first expansion :D
    Seriously class game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I'm almost 50 hours into the game at this point - it's really excellent, soooooo much better than the previous two and on track to be one of the best games I've ever played! It's so big and there's so much to do, my main worry is - just as I experienced with Skyrim, my most played game according to Steam - I'll busy myself so much with side quests that my interest in the game will run out of steam around the 100 hour mark and I'll then just force myself to finish the main quest without much enthusiasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

ionapaul wrote: »
    I'm almost 50 hours into the game at this point - it's really excellent, soooooo much better than the previous two and on track to be one of the best games I've ever played! It's so big and there's so much to do, my main worry is - just as I experienced with Skyrim, my most played game according to Steam - I'll busy myself so much with side quests that my interest in the game will run out of steam around the 100 hour mark and I'll then just force myself to finish the main quest without much enthusiasm.

Skyrim's main quest was a bit shíte though. Witcher 3's is excellent with some great characters and missions that will/should maintain your interest and enthusiasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah my interest in Skyrim faltered around the 100 hour mark as well and just rushed through to the end but I have 165 hours of TW3 inc the first expansion and can't wait for the final expansion pack
    such a great game :D

Azza wrote: »
    Quickest way to level is just doing story missions. Side quests don't really level you up that much at all.
    Thanks again for the above tip - been reasonably following it since you posted and it allowed me to get quite fast to level 24.

Really having a good time on the secondary and witcher quests before going too far. Don't use too many potions but use a mix of signs and combat.

Quen - going into combat with just about anything and refresh as needed or prudent
    Igni scattered through combat on humans and some monsters.
    Axii for shield bearers / pikes / axes

Yrden - for fast moving monsters

Only challenge now is finding enough time to play, tend to lose hours just on a few quests.

Taltos wrote: »
    Thanks again for the above tip - been reasonably following it since you posted and it allowed me to get quite fast to level 24.

Really having a good time on the secondary and witcher quests before going too far. Don't use too many potions but use a mix of signs and combat.

Quen - going into combat with just about anything and refresh as needed or prudent
    Igni scattered through combat on humans and some monsters.
    Axii for shield bearers / pikes / axes

Yrden - for fast moving monsters

Only challenge now is finding enough time to play, tend to lose hours just on a few quests.

And Spectres. Good lord the Spectres.....I still think about a specific story mission on Death March where you're ambushed twice in succession by a horde of them.....

And Spectres. Good lord the Spectres.....I still think about a specific story mission on Death March where you're ambushed twice in succession by a horde of them.....

Was that the Botchling one????? That was pure hell.

• Advertisement

Was that the Botchling one????? That was pure hell.

That's the one! Jaaaaaysus the amount of times I loaded....

That's the one! Jaaaaaysus the amount of times I loaded....

Was one of the few times in the game that made me want to abandon my death march run :D

We just started Hearts of Stone (Herself adventures and I get thrown the controller for fights and gwent) totally forgot the the controls so she left novigrad and got destroyed by low level neckers during a shortcut through a field, good times :pac:

Was one of the few times in the game that made me want to abandon my death march run :D

We just started Hearts of Stone (Herself adventures and I get thrown the controller for fights and gwent) totally forgot the the controls so she left novigrad and got destroyed by low level neckers during a shortcut through a field, good times :pac:

YOU HOLD ON TO HER FOR LIFE AND NEVER EVER LET GO.

Sat down to play for a hour yesterday morning next thing I realised it was 5pm and time to go to the gym, I had forgot to eat and had no clothes ready. This game really eats into time

astonaidan wrote: »
    Sat down to play for a hour yesterday morning next thing I realised it was 5pm and time to go to the gym, I had forgot to eat and had no clothes ready. This game really eats into time

Ha yeah, I'll just see whats over here by this ? 2 hours later and ? number 10 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭Corvo

Playing last night on the house level, and was aiming in an unbarricaded window. There was only two enemies left against me. Doc walks into the room, I blast him, missing quite a few shots but he drops down injured and I have to reload. For some reason I duck back behind the cover of the window, switch to pistol and lean back to finish him off.

...I receive one straight to the dome from Doc.

He had got back up...

Corvo wrote: »
    Playing last night on the house level, and was aiming in an unbarricaded window. There was only two enemies left against me. Doc walks into the room, I blast him, missing quite a few shots but he drops down injured and I have to reload. For some reason I duck back behind the cover of the window, switch to pistol and lean back to finish him off.

...I receive one straight to the dome from Doc.

He had got back up...

Corvo you have travelled to the wrong Witcher timeline, you've got to come back with me!!

1docmarty.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭Corvo

Corvo you have travelled to the wrong Witcher timeline, you've got to come back with me!!

1docmarty.jpg

I've had a mare, here...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Probably some very light spoilers ahead.
    Right now in my playthrough I've completed my search of the Velen area for Ciri. I'm currently a few hours into the search in Novigrad. I'm looking for Dandelion at present. I haven't even ventured to Skellige.

Would I be close to half finished with the main quest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭Evade

Would I be close to half finished with the main quest?
    No.

Advertisement