Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRA pull out of pay talks

Options
  • 04-02-2013 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

this has been posted on rte in the last while

The Garda Representative Association, which represents rank and file gardaí, has pulled out of talks on extending the Croke Park Agreement.
    Following a day-long meeting, the GRA central executive rejected Government proposals to reduce payroll costs that include a cut in garda wages.
    It said it would not participate in any process that proposes such cuts.

will it make any difference or will the government just carry on regardless. is it a wise move? thoughts?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

blue flu is on the horizon and i wouldn't blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It looks like it might end in a Blue Flu but I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭0325422

It looks like it might end in a Blue Flu but I hope not.

Should organise some kind of protest.. Show the government we can make it difficult if they intend bringing in these pay cuts without proper negotiation and debate on the issues.. . Every driver in the country on chiefs should hand back their permission to drive without proper training, refuse to use personal equipment, such as laptops and phones, printers in many cases as they spend more time not working than working in many stations. Make things difficult.. Blue flu might not have much too much public support..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Any word on GRA protesting in the ICTU protest this Saturday?

AGSI are on board already http://www.agsi.ie/articles/ictu-march-dublin-9th-february/

0325422 wrote: »
    Should organise some kind of protest.. Show the government we can make it difficult if they intend bringing in these pay cuts without proper negotiation and debate on the issues.. . Every driver in the country on chiefs should hand back their permission to drive without proper training, refuse to use personal equipment, such as laptops and phones, printers in many cases as they spend more time not working than working in many stations. Make things difficult.. Blue flu might not have much too much public support..

Public support is one thing but it will not pay you're member's bills or feed their families. If I was you I wouldn't worry too much about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭angrykoala

im not convinced that the blue flu would work. it certainly wont help gardai with the public perception of them. i think the work to rule would be a lot more effective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

public opinion is pretty much already decided though. guards are being backed into a corner.

its easy to see how this escalates. personally im in favour of work to rule and also blue flu.

if we roll over and take these cuts im done in this job. making about 430 a week after tax and deductions. for the job i do, im not prepared to take any less and ive no problem fighting to keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭kub

audidiesel wrote: »
    public opinion is pretty much already decided though. guards are being backed into a corner.

its easy to see how this escalates. personally im in favour of work to rule and also blue flu.

if we roll over and take these cuts im done in this job. making about 430 a week after tax and deductions. for the job i do, im not prepared to take any less and ive no problem fighting to keep it.

My God, I had no idea it was that bad, I would have thought you guys got over € 550 a week. Holy carp for all ye have to put up with, what a joke.

Lads is there any news on the crowd in the courts getting their pay and conditions cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

kub wrote: »

My God, I had no idea it was that bad, I would have thought you guys got over € 550 a week. Holy carp for all ye have to put up with, what a joke.

Lads is there any news on the crowd in the courts getting their pay and conditions cut?

Nope Kub, the pay can be generally crap after the USC, Taxes, PRSI and PAYE have been taken out and that's excluding GRA Sub, Medical Aid, Life Assurance, Critical Illness, Luke Scott (possibly) Benevolent Fund etc. Garda pay dosn't get good until you're Supt rank upwards, even a Cigs wage these days is bad. I'm not joking when I say 60% of gross can be gone straight away!

Oh and pension levy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

van_beano wrote: »
    I'm not joking when I say 60% of gross can be gone straight away!

This is the bit people don't get when they are quoting ''average public sector pay'' :(

• Advertisement

Kat1170 wrote: »

This is the bit people don't get when they are quoting ''average public sector pay'' :(

What ya mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

What ya mean?

Many people seem to think the 'average public sector pay' that gets quoted is take home pay, if only.

Kat1170 wrote: »

Many people seem to think the 'average public sector pay' that gets quoted is take home pay, if only.

Oh what I wouldn't give to be on a Commissioners salary.

It's funny though that all the cuts in Garda pay that the Government are looking for all have one thing in common - they don't affect Supt rank upwards or
    1) Half Sunday pay premium - Supt don't get Sunday pay, all part of salary
    2) Half Bank Holiday Premium - Supt don't get Bank Holiday pay, all part of salary
    3) Abolish Good Friday Pay - Supt don't get Good Friday pay, all part of salary
    4) Abolish Sat Allowance - Supt don't get Sat Allowance pay, all part of salary
    5) Cut back on unsocialable hours - Supt don't get unsocialable hours pay, all part of salary

This is the reason the Suptintendents union are never heard of, sure what would they have to give out about? I'm open to correction on anything I've said, it is nearly 4am :)

Speaking from a Garda viewpoint It is incredible that its only GRA and AGSI members that feel the full brunt of all these cuts. The same can be said, however, for all frontline staff but hey, why should anyone care, no one forced these people to join the Emergency Service!!

audidiesel wrote: »

That is a very poor take home pay.
    Reading posts on other threads I thought you lads were on twice that.
    Stand you're ground for better wages and conditions, you deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭coolhandluke

Oh what I wouldn't give to be on a Commissioners salary.

It's funny though that all the cuts in Garda pay that the Government are looking for all have one thing in common - they don't affect Supt rank upwards or
    1) Half Sunday pay premium - Supt don't get Sunday pay, all part of salary
    2) Half Bank Holiday Premium - Supt don't get Bank Holiday pay, all part of salary
    3) Abolish Good Friday Pay - Supt don't get Good Friday pay, all part of salary
    4) Abolish Sat Allowance - Supt don't get Sat Allowance pay, all part of salary
    5) Cut back on unsocialable hours - Supt don't get unsocialable hours pay, all part of salary

This is the reason the Suptintendents union are never heard of, sure what would they have to give out about? I'm open to correction on anything I've said, it is nearly 4am :)

Speaking from a Garda viewpoint It is incredible that its only GRA and AGSI members that feel the full brunt of all these cuts. The same can be said, however, for all frontline staff but hey, why should anyone care, no one forced these people to join the Emergency Service!!

It's actually even worse than that, afaik civil servants in the gardai are not expected to take any cuts to their wages, so these cuts are targeted specifically at gardai,sgt's and inspectors. If the members don't stand together on this, then would have to say you get what you take......because the govt are just taking the piss at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

All garda should cease to issue FPN's

Send all offenders to court for all offences

Zambia wrote: »
    All garda should cease to issue FPN's

Send all offenders to court for all offences

Not a bad idea.. It's gas what goes on down the courts with minor road traffic offences being adjourned for Gary Doyle orders and stuff just so free legal aid solicitors make more money.. Free legal aid should be cut way back.. Massive money to be saved in area of penal warrants. Ferrying prisoners around country in taxi's only for them to be released same day is a crazy situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

It's actually even worse than that, afaik civil servants in the gardai are not expected to take any cuts to their wages, so these cuts are targeted specifically at gardai,sgt's and inspectors. If the members don't stand together on this, then would have to say you get what you take......because the govt are just taking the piss at this stage.

Not true.

Civil servants in the GS are members of CPSU. While no pay cuts have been proposed (because further pay cuts would actually cause an increase in take home pay to most) extra working hours are being proposed. Working more hours for the same money is the same as a pay cut.

0325422 wrote: »

Not a bad idea.. It's gas what goes on down the courts with minor road traffic offences being adjourned for Gary Doyle orders and stuff just so free legal aid solicitors make more money.. Free legal aid should be cut way back.. Massive money to be saved in area of penal warrants. Ferrying prisoners around country in taxi's only for them to be released same day is a crazy situation

In theory they should do away with Penal Warrants, most go out of date or need to be reissued etc. The way to fix that is have all fines linked to a persons PPS No and fines to be taken from Income or Welfare, that'll mean 100% collection and no warrants, Revenue should be able to do this easily. Dosn't work for those with no PPS ke turists etc. but there's always cash bail in certain circumstances although not minor road traffic but sure it's a step in the right direction.

In terms of saving money, do we really need a paper version of our payslip in an envelope every week? Getting rid could save a few hundred thousand Id imagine

Anyways that's all for another day, I've gone way off topic, sorry :)

Not true.

Civil servants in the GS are members of CPSU. While no pay cuts have been proposed (because further pay cuts would actually cause an increase in take home pay to most) extra working hours are being proposed. Working more hours for the same money is the same as a pay cut.

The same increased working hours were proposed for gardai as well, in addition to the paycuts. The having a laugh approach of the DOJ has actually backfired on them, i have never seen lads/ladies so irate.

How do you go home with more pay, after a paycut ?

• Advertisement

The same increased working hours were proposed for gardai as well, in addition to the paycuts. The having a laugh approach of the DOJ has actually backfired on them, i have never seen lads/ladies so irate.

Maybe it's more pay because Family Income Supplement, Medical Card etc would kick in? Cost the Government more in Welfare payments?

In theory they should do away with Penal Warrants, most go out of date or need to be reissued etc. The way to fix that is have all fines linked to a persons PPS No and fines to be taken from Income or Welfare, that'll mean 100% collection and no warrants, Revenue should be able to do this easily. Dosn't work for those with no PPS ke turists etc. but there's always cash bail in certain circumstances although not minor road traffic but sure it's a step in the right direction.

In terms of saving money, do we really need a paper version of our payslip in an envelope every week? Getting rid could save a few hundred thousand Id imagine

Anyways that's all for another day, I've gone way off topic, sorry :)

It's not really way off topic as its an alternative to pay cuts that could be brought to the table to save money.. Payslips is great money saving type idea. Majority of stations have a pulse machine linked to email which can be printed if a member needs them.. There was talks before of being paid every second week to save admin time, not sure that would make a whole pileof difference as its only the big cheque that's different every week.

Scrimping money on not buying new patrol cars is a total waste. Cars getting Massive work on them at great expense to squeeze last few miles out of them. Lack of patrol cars meaning members using own vehicles to get to work costing more money. Clapped out Printers and photocopiers being constantly fixed instead of buying new ones..

Do away with this declaring cars off the road too.. A line of people at the station at start of every month telling lies must cost millions in unpaid road tax.

Maybe it's more pay because Family Income Supplement, Medical Card etc would kick in? Cost the Government more in Welfare payments?

I very much doubt the DOJ cares less what it costs the dept of Health/welfare as long as it's not costing them, i think health and welfare have bust their budget every year since this recession started, last year it was 300m and 600m respectively, and they just got a supplementary extra.

So while we get creamed for 60m or so they overrun by 900m and the money can be found, even though apparently everybody accepts there are 2,000 administrators in the HSE doing nothing.........sound fair.

Here's a controversial cost saving idea and I'll probably should just close the door behind me before I get given out to but - disband the Garda Reserve (approx 935 members according to the fountain of Knowledge - Wikipedia) which at a cost of €1k a person makes €935,000 per annum, this excludes any tax, PRSI, Insurance etc that the Government may pay behind the scenes, would there be much change left out of a million euros?

Once your wage reaches a certain level you are on a lower rate of PRSI. Lower again and instead of paying income tax you are getting tax back.

Here's a controversial cost saving idea and I'll probably should just close the door behind me before I get given out to but - disband the Garda Reserve (approx 935 members according to the fountain of Knowledge - Wikipedia) which at a cost of €1k a person makes €935,000 per annum, this excludes any tax, PRSI, Insurance etc that the Government may pay behind the scenes, would there be much change left out of a million euros?

What difference would a million make? It's millions, preferably billions they want. Cutting the reserve would get nil back in the long term. I dodn't realise the reserve got paid a wage. If they do, tax, prsi etc is miniscule.

What difference would a million make? It's millions, preferably billions they want. Cutting the reserve would get nil back in the long term. I dodn't realise the reserve got paid a wage. If they do, tax, prsi etc is miniscule.

Well they're looking for €16m a year for next three years from the Gardai, at least with this cut its roughly €1m out of the way without it affecting the fully fledged members of the force.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Well they're looking for €16m a year for next three years from the Gardai, at least with this cut its roughly €1m out of the way without it affecting the fully fledged members of the force.

The only issue is that the government is attempting to achieve increased manpower hours on a tighter budget - they would argue that the reserve is not all that bad value for what it costs, and that cutting it would reduce manpower hours.

The only issue is that the government is attempting to achieve increased manpower hours on a tighter budget - they would argue that the reserve is not all that bad value for what it costs, and that cutting it would reduce manpower hours.

Counter argument is cost of providing uniforms, boots, stab vests, ASP's, pepper spray and handcuffs to each member plus keeping licenses open on a good few "pool" TETRA's at €600-€800 a year each and all for 248 hours work a year.

Personal issue TETRA's for full members should be got rid of aswell, cost on line rental is astronomical

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Counter argument is cost of providing uniforms, boots, stab vests, ASP's, pepper spray and handcuffs to each member plus keeping licenses open on a good few "pool" TETRA's at €600-€800 a year each and all for 248 hours work a year.

Personal issue TETRA's for full members should be got rid of aswell, cost on line rental is astronomical

Good point, something that certainly the representative unions should put forward if the government start talking out loud about the need to expand the reserves instead of launching a new intake of full time members.

Advertisement