Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Farming General

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Hol only ones consistent!!!!

Going to have to break calives into 3 seperate groups on paper and keep track to make sure there right for what they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

all heifers here,and they dropped big time last collection,now under 20 ltrs ,they are not happy going back into paddocks last few days .they are on 1kg in parlour.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,193 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

leg wax wrote: »
    all heifers here,and they dropped big time last collection,now under 20 ltrs ,they are not happy going back into paddocks last few days .they are on 1kg in parlour.
    have 30 heifers in this year, did them with eprinex about 2 weeks ago they came back up in their milk. they are on 2kg of meal a day, rest of milkers are getting no meal and are feckers to bring in from paddock , to get in to the parlour and wont go out either:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭frogloch

leg wax wrote: »

There's a trend going on here with everyone's milk dropping in the last collection. Our supply was going fairly even in every collection then dropped 300L on today's collection. Next door neighbour was same dropped 600L today (different cows. different grass). I rang up milk manager about it and he said he'd look into it. Neighbour rang him an hour later and he said a few more people were on to him. So seemingly I'm not the only one. I thought it was strange as I thought they were up on the jars.:confused:

Would 10th August be too early to do pre diagnosis on spring cows?
    Fisher breeding since 16th july

• Advertisement

Would 10th August be too early to do pre diagnosis on spring cows?
    Fisher breeding since 16th july
    28 days is the shortest normally, although scanning man scanned one as 3 weeks in calf here last week

whelan2 wrote: »
    28 days is the shortest normally, although scanning man scanned one as 3 weeks in calf here last week

Due a milk recording around then so was thinking of doing it through milk.
    Used it on ciws were weren't sure of last yr and it was 100%

Do the modern milk tanks give a display of how many litres are in the tank?, or is the only way to know through milk metres etc.

frogloch wrote: »
    Do the modern milk tanks give a display of how many litres are in the tank?, or is the only way to know through milk metres etc.
    most are not accurate enough, although there was someone posting the other day that the dairymaster one can be callibrated to be close enough

Who calibrates the milk tankers is the coop or an independent company. I mean with the system they have now has a lorry ever been wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭stanflt

Cows holding really well at 30-31 litres @3.49 p and 3.59 f getting 5kg fty

Cows dropped 5 litres after I dosed for eprinex but have risen back up

Loads of grass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

stanflt wrote: »

Loads of grass

Just out of interest how many days were They back in milk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭stanflt

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Just out of interest how many days were They back in milk ?

About 10 days

Calves split up better today.
    half over 150 kg other half below it rang from 105kg to 145kg.
    bigger group getting .5 kg and smaller group getting 1 kg.
    on savage grass so should definitely put on the kg /day

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Could the bigger group go without gg and give the smaller group 1.5/2 kg to catch up .strong group here on just grass and small bunch on 2 kg

Weighing ours tomorrow hopefully and splitting group size way to big at the moment. Do you feed in troughs or on the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭White Clover

Gg. Agree with mahoney. If you're trying to push on the small group I don't think the kg will do. I'd double it. Would be money well spent.

Could the bigger group go without gg and give the smaller group 1.5/2 kg to catch up .strong group here on just grass and small bunch on 2 kg

Eimear kennedy was saying at the walk we had 2 kg and good grass for smaller ones
    but lad that's doing the program with us says grass is so good 1kg should really drive them one.
    Could go to 1.5 kg alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

stanflt wrote: »

Loads of grass

Do ppl dose twice with eprinex or only once?. I tend to give them 1 shot mid season and a proper does when drying off. Dunno should I give a 2nd shot 30 days after as it only kills mature worms .....

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Weighing ours tomorrow hopefully and splitting group size way to big at the moment. Do you feed in troughs or on the ground?

We bought a 20ft jfc corri pipe that ye put in drains and split it in 2. It's a great job.
    Would they pick up worms eating it off the ground?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Eimear kennedy was saying at the walk we had 2 kg and good grass for smaller ones
    but lad that's doing the program with us says grass is so good 1kg should really drive them one.
    Could go to 1.5 kg alright

Grass quality varies though from day to day and paddock to paddock .2/2.5 kg of a good 18% nut/ration along with best grass will do wonders for smaller calves

We bought a 20ft jfc corri pipe that ye put in drains and split it in 2. It's a great job.
    Would they pick up worms eating it off the ground?

We have troughs similar to what you have just to time consuming moving them every day calves are strip grazed on 24 hour brakes and back fenced every day. Not to sure about picking up worms sure they would be picking them up grazing anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Are you referring to just spring calves here gg, Autumn ones seperate again? Have calves in two groups here, smaller ones (spring and a few small autumn ones) on 2kgs and bigger ones ( autumn born) on 1kg. occasionally move on small ones and put big ones in to clean up. Ideally 3 groups would be the way to go but awkward to manage till aftergrass comes on stream

Milked out wrote: »
    Are you referring to just spring calves here gg, Autumn ones seperate again? Have calves in two groups here, smaller ones (spring and a few small autumn ones) on 2kgs and bigger ones ( autumn born) on 1kg. occasionally move on small ones and put big ones in to clean up. Ideally 3 groups would be the way to go but awkward to manage till aftergrass comes on stream
    Just spring heifers. There at home running ahead of cows
    Autumn's are on out farm. There best calveswe've ever reared. Doubt they will need meal over the winter

Grass quality varies though from day to day and paddock to paddock .2/2.5 kg of a good 18% nut/ration along with best grass will do wonders for smaller calves

Have a dg here next month so want them looking well for that. The smallest are 2 pure je and last one born on 1 of april. She's a heifers calf also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Autumn's are on out farm. There best calveswe've ever reared. Doubt they will need meal over the winter

Smashing calves there gg, they starting bulling yet? have a bull calf down with ours must take him out incase anything would happen , hopefully nothing has yet but they wont be long starting jumping

All out out test sires too milked out. That ksb heifer I was 9n about earlier in the yr is turning out nice. She might be too milky for us though

Milked out wrote: »
    Smashing calves there gg, they starting bulling yet? have a bull calf down with ours must take him out incase anything would happen , hopefully nothing has yet but they wont be long starting jumping

Was 2 bulling the other day and another one today. Dad says he's seen others bulling aswell. Great to see them bulling so early.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

howdee wrote: »
    Have one here Tim, on its second season and going very well, was one of the cheapest I could get at the time and thought it would be scrap but I'm very happy with it. The ram is hidden on it so it's out of danger. Also was a sound lad that was making them.
    I'm lifting around 500 bales a year.

Ordered one there also ha. Agreed about yourman, straight up honest chap and really sounded like he knew what he was talking about, that definitely helped seal the deal! Better than one or two other places who when I said 1200 a little steep they just replied it's a mchale ha.

Not the biggest fan of silage bales here I'll admit, but moving forward I'll be using more and more of them. We got one silage pit on its last legs, I might just scrap the idea of replacing it and use bales instead.

• Advertisement

dried off some cows this morning, went to dose them with albex, it was a new pack picked up the box and the container fell out and the cap sheared off it on the ground ffs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement