Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Farming General

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Cow Porter

isn't lime spreading linked to drying up cows??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Jeez I'd say poor dsw is crying if he's getting the rain we are.
    like a monsoon.
    This us like a wet dream for some lads I'd say

Thanx for ur concern GG! Yeah got all that rain, but just another wet one, nothing new down here! Good day today though, bright and blustery with a few showers, any bit of breeze makes it better around here, blow away all that mist and fog and sh1t!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,197 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

was reading the bit inside the back page of the journal, he was saying to powerwash and disenfect calving boxes now, would you not be better off disenfecting just before the cows go into the boxes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »
    was reading the bit inside the back page of the journal, he was saying to powerwash and disenfect calving boxes now, would you not be better off disenfecting just before the cows go into the boxes?
    Sunlight is a great disinfectant so maybe that's what they are promoting.

Just have all the mats out of the cubicles, ready for a spot of power washing.

Are you free for a couple of days?:D

Sunlight is a great disinfectant so maybe that's what they are promoting.

Just have all the mats out of the cubicles, ready for a spot of power washing.

Are you free for a couple of days?:D
    doing my own at the minute:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

doing my own at the minute:rolleyes:
    Ahhhh go on go on go on go on go on....

6760455FATHER-TED-Pauline-McLynn-as-Mrs-Doyle-housekeeper-from-Father-Ted-TV-series-holding-cup-and.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Speaking of which am about to put in a wash down for parlour & collecting yard around it.

Any hints on size / type of pump? How many litres / minute & what PSI are needed for a high volume 1" hose type wash?

Planning on feeding from an IBC topped up by rainwater & backup from the well pump. Slight fall between IBC and parlour / yard.

I always get confused between pressure & flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

kowtow wrote: »
    Speaking of which am about to put in a wash down for parlour & collecting yard around it.

Any hints on size / type of pump? How many litres / minute & what PSI are needed for a high volume 1" hose type wash?

Planning on feeding from an IBC topped up by rainwater & backup from the well pump. Slight fall between IBC and parlour / yard.

Pressure is when you cut the enamel off the jax while peeing Flow is when you get concerned about prostate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Pressure is when you cut the enamel off the jax while peeing Flow is when you get concerned about prostate

Right.

But is it the same thing with a small pipe? The washdown hose is only about an inch and a half....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Right.

But is it the same thing with a small pipe? The washdown hose is only about an inch and a half....

I'll check in the morning but I think 110psi flow around 50l/min. Grundfos pump, only expensive day one. I'll get you a model number in morning as well. You might be better off with a variable speed pump. They are around the price of a pressure vessel more expensive than the standard pump but you don't need the pressure vessel with them. If I was you depending on budget and how good your flow rate from the farm pump was I'd consider a bigger storage tank. 700-800 gallon milk tanks can be bought for a euro per gallon. Connect this to your dairy with washdown hose getting the feed first and no more waiting for wash troughs to fill and less worry about having enough water to get place washed down properly after milking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Caught two travelers with the van loaded up with tools/batteries ready to drive of out of the yard just as I was finishing up milking, its got ridiculous around here now at this stage their not even waiting till your out of the yard before trying to rob yeah now

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Caught two travelers with the van loaded up with tools/batteries ready to drive of out of the yard just as I was finishing up milking, its got ridiculous around here now at this stage their not even waiting till your out of the yard before trying to rob yeah now
    recently widowed young woman had her handbag robbed from her car outside her house the other day here, think they got it on cctv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

What action did you take?
    I presume loader and pallet forks were called into action, robbing bastards

What did u do, they say when u caught them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Did you need a shotgun?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Under or through? I'd go for through.

Opened up van door took back out what they had loaded and told them to get to f##k with themselves, had two rows in finishing of milking would of went after them in the jeep and followed the bastards till the guards could of caught up with them only for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Ring euro pumps to put in something for you

Opened up van door took back out what they had loaded and told them to get to f##k with themselves, had two rows in finishing of milking would of went after them in the jeep and followed the bastards till the guards could of caught up with them only for that

I certainly wouldn't do that, u could be confident that they wouldn't lay a finger on u on ur property, but if u followed them out to the public road it could be a different story.

I certainly wouldn't do that, u could be confident that they wouldn't lay a finger on u on ur property, but if u followed them out to the public road it could be a different story.

What's the alternative, over 2,000 grands worth of diseal has been lifted here the past year, both my aunties houses have been robbed the past six months, along with a failed attempt last week on a house just up the road from us, another case an elderly man got beat half to death one night when he came upon them raiding his shed/oil tank...
    Numerous neighbours have been robbed aswell including a 2011 land cruiser robbed out of a lads yard last week as he was in getting the dinner.
    The guards well you might aswell have shep on the job no one's been caught/arrested, at a stage here and rightly so extreme force is needed it's the only thing they understand justice system our lack of it in this country encourages them no end as a suspended sentence is likely all they'll recieve....
    Two roteweilers here now have to chained up every night at entrance to yard to deter the bastards it sickens my stomach the necks on them

• Advertisement

What's the alternative, over 2,000 grands worth of diseal has been lifted here the past year, both my aunties houses have been robbed the past six months, along with a failed attempt last week on a house just up the road from us, another case an elderly man got beat half to death one night when he came upon them raiding his shed/oil tank...
    Numerous neighbours have been robbed aswell, the guards well you might aswell have shep on the job no one's been caught/arrested, at a stage here and rightly so extreme force is needed it's the only thing they understand justice system our lack of it in this country encourages them no end as a suspended sentence is likely all they'll recieve....
    Two roteweilers here now have to chained up every night at entrance to yard to deter the bastards it sickens my stomach the necks on them

No issue with any of that. I'm just saying I wouldn't follow them out onto the road.
    Too many stories of innocent wanna be heroes not ending well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

I'd have let the Rothies out to tear the leg off them jay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Incalf heifers are in a paddock with a few fallen branches at the sec, they have totally stripped all the bark off the branches. Are they lacking in something specific??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

What are lads projections on prices of dAiry stock towards the back end of this year? Will poorer milk price slow down a lot of lads? Or will most plough on regardless? Am hoping to get a few in end if year(spring calving) approx 35/40

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

simx wrote: »
    What are lads projections on prices of dAiry stock towards the back end of this year? Will poorer milk price slow down a lot of lads? Or will most plough on regardless? Am hoping to get a few in end if year(spring calving) approx 35/40

Some incalf high ebi heifers were making 1300 for sep delivery a few weeks ago. Im sure they will drop a bit with lower milk prices in the coming months hopefully be in the market 4 some myself

simx wrote: »

If the English market cools down heifers will be easy bought, their is talk of tesco reviewing their contracts with suppliers that are currently nearly getting 30 pence a litre if this gets slashed their won't be any demand for dairy stock from them boys come winter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭mf240

Timmaay wrote: »
    Incalf heifers are in a paddock with a few fallen branches at the sec, they have totally stripped all the bark off the branches. Are they lacking in something specific??

Sounds like there lacking in tree bark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I remember it being discussed here before, think it was a lack of phosphorus. Or boredom. Or tasty trees :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Mine at the same today stripped back off a standing tree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭alps

Mine at the same today stripped back off a standing tree.

Low grass DM%....will start pulling at anything stemy. .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement