Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Farming General

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Timmaay wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/silagegrabs-for-sale/hydraulic-bale-handler/8811382 looking like the cheapest hydraulic bale handler I can get, anyone know if they are any good or if I can get any better value?

That looks a well built stacker.
    The ram down further too is a good job too. The mchale ones are up around 1200 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭howdee

https://www.donedeal.ie/silagegrabs-for-sale/hydraulic-bale-handler/8811382 looking like the cheapest hydraulic bale handler I can get, anyone know if they are any good or if I can get any better value?

Have one here Tim, on its second season and going very well, was one of the cheapest I could get at the time and thought it would be scrap but I'm very happy with it. The ram is hidden on it so it's out of danger. Also was a sound lad that was making them.
    I'm lifting around 500 bales a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Anyone bought teat sealer recently or know of any offers about at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

What's the advantage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

just do it wrote: »
    What's the advantage?

Advantage of what??

• Advertisement

C0N0R wrote: »
    Advantage of what??

The hydraulic bale handler. I've an ordinary one and I can't see how a hydraulic one would be of benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

The hydraulic bale handler. I've an ordinary one and I can't see how a hydraulic one would be of benefit

How do you avoid ripping the plastic?

How do you avoid ripping the plastic?

Lift and stack immediately. If they're anyway solid there's no issue. For the odd one that's flattened I flip it. Haven't ripped 1 this year, although I've no doubt I've just gone and jinked it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭frogloch

What ya mean on the back of the tractor? Have to have hydraulic one on front loader. I have a tanco handler myself and if the bale comes back too far the bolts for holding on rollers will puncture the plastic. Also when stacking have to be careful not to press the bale in too far in stack otherwise can puncture bale inside with rollers and then won't see bursted bale till winter when feeding. The handlers are good though especially with straw bales, take rollers off and can squeeze on sides of net wrapped bales, never burst a bale.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭mf240

There for the front loader jdi.

Makes putting them up 3/4 high easier as you can spread it out and drop out bale.

There are spikes under the rollers so you can use it to feed bales .

Youll need all these toys when you go milking:pac:

• Advertisement

I think we've turned the dairy thread into the machinery thread. But seeing as you're talking about handlers, does anyone have a keltec bale splitter and plastic catcher. They look the best in that plastic doesn't hang down as much, plus not as heavy as others, plus looks no problem to put a bale in a round feeder, plus wont take roof off shed. Just asking cos this year's bales are all plastic wrapped with no net used, baled with fusion 3 plus.

frogloch wrote: »
    I think we've turned the dairy thread into the machinery thread. But seeing as you're talking about handlers, does anyone have a keltec bale splitter and plastic catcher. They look the best in that plastic doesn't hang down as much, plus not as heavy as others, plus looks no problem to put a bale in a round feeder, plus wont take roof off shed. Just asking cos this year's bales are all plastic wrapped with no net used, baled with fusion 3 plus.
    Been meaning to buy splitter here for a few yrs. It'll be a keltec though when we buy

Has anyone opened the plastic baled and wrapped bales with a knife and any issues, suppose just don't stick knife in to far when taking off cover.

Dried off first autumn calver today. Hadn't intended on drying any till 10th of august

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Dried off first autumn calver today. Hadn't intended on drying any till 10th of august

When u starting calving gg?

Milked out wrote: »
    When u starting calving gg?

28th sept going by dates. No doubt they'll start before that

28th sept going by dates. No doubt they'll start before that

8th oct here, should b finished by 25 Nov bar 1 cow due on 10 Dec and 1 or 2 heifers calving first week of jan

8th oct here, should b finished by 25 Nov bar 1 cow due on 10 Dec and 1 or 2 heifers calving first week of jan

I wanted to have them starting then but was over ruled.

Weighing a % of the herd here today to see what are mature weight is and what our heifers should be calving down. Calves being weighed too

I wanted to have them starting then but was over ruled.

Weighing a % of the herd here today to see what are mature weight is and what our heifers should be calving down. Calves being weighed too

Is that part of the heifer rearing programme? Or ye paying to do it

Is that part of the heifer rearing programme? Or ye paying to do it

Part of it. Been 2 mths since calves have been weighed last. Going to need to split up better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Cows have taken a big drop here in milk in the last few wks, especially heifers. Back from 22 litres to barely holding 18 litres. Obviously weather has been the biggest factor, but don't like how fast they're dipping. Anyone else experiencing similar drops?

Cows have taken a big drop here in milk in the last few wks, especially heifers. Back from 22 litres to barely holding 18 litres. Obviously weather has been the biggest factor, but don't like how fast they're dipping. Anyone else experiencing similar drops?

Same here ours dropped from 23 to 21. It was in the spring calvers I seem the dip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

frogloch wrote: »
    4'4" shear grab, drive in the round side and close in partially and carry to feed space.

Drop.

Drive round to round side and drive in, tines to the ground, close grab to 1/4 way.

Drive up to feed space and fully close grab.

Half the bale drops.

Reverse and drive forward again, dropping down grab, open grab and tip the grab.

All fed and plastic on top of last half bale.

No real need for the bale splitter here, tbh.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Is that grass d/m. Cows dropped from 28 to 25 here the last few days even though plenty quality grass. Feeding 2.5 kg in the parlour and they'd fall each other to get in, previously you'd have to shoo them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Is that grass d/m. Cows dropped from 28 to 25 here the last few days even though plenty quality grass. Feeding 2.5 kg in the parlour and they'd fall each other to get in, previously you'd have to shoo them in.

Was going to suggest the same thing lower dm in grass , we have been battling with it here for the last month , cows can't eat enough to fill them self's .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Down to 26.75 Ltrs here 3.95 fat 3.68 p ,2.1. Kg milk solids.best of grass and 3.2 kg fty in parlour.very happy as nearly 30% heifers.tested dungs and no worms so no eprinex/eprizero .breeding seems to have gone very well with bull pulled on Monday and 5% served in April .

Any issues with worms or Ibr dsw??

Je cows were 470 to 560
    jex 450 to 550
    fr/hol 600 to 660
    serious variation here

Je cows were 470 to 560
    jex 450 to 550
    fr/hol 600 to 660
    serious variation here

Hol only ones consistent!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Any issues with worms or Ibr dsw??

Done for both ibr and eprizero on July 1st.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement