Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Farming General

Options
1327328329330331333»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

whelan2 wrote: »
    dried off some cows this morning, went to dose them with albex, it was a new pack picked up the box and the container fell out and the cap sheared off it on the ground ffs

Butterfingers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Butterfingers :D
    lucky it wasnt eprinex

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Dried off 7 today also, 4 of them culls. Just over 5 1/2 rows now, feeling like a right lazy phucker ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭frogloch

Is that micheal long who was manager at Greenfield if so good on him.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

600+ cows. Are they run as one batch being milked in 1 parlour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

just do it wrote: »
    600+ cows. Are they run as one batch being milked in 1 parlour?

fella not to far from me milking 600+ through a 20 unit parlour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

caseman wrote: »

30rows!! or in different lots?

Timmaay wrote: »
    30rows!! or in different lots?

All in one lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭frogloch

All in one lot

Imagine getting a farm relief milker in to milk them on his own.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

frogloch wrote: »
    Is that micheal long who was manager at Greenfield if so good on him.:)

Yes

North West?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

That's the equivalent of milking 60 in a 2 unit parlour!

Not even close. At least your moving

did 360 cows in an 8 double up in england, 10 rows is more than enough for anyone to do

North West?

sligo their in the plannig process for a new rotary

sligo their in the plannig process for a new rotary

Thought so, know him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Thought so, know him

Brothers, out on the coast? Used to be fairly prominent in ihfa?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

did 360 cows in an 8 double up in england, 10 rows is more than enough for anyone to do

Is this "10rows" when the dairy man hits the wall?

I know I've just had enough of it after 9, but what about someone working in a factory or production line doing the same thing for an 8 hour shift?

Why do we stare flagging at 10 rows? Is it because we have so much other stuff on, or you can smell the breakfast? Could someone do an 8 hour shift milking cows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

sligo direction?

didnt spot your response til after i posted...

spent a few yrs teaching with one of his daughters....

when he hoping to have rotary going??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Id love 600 cows:-P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

alps wrote: »

I know I've just had enough of it after 9, but what about someone working in a factory or production line doing the same thing for an 8 hour shift?

Why do we stare flagging at 10 rows? Is it because we have so much other stuff on, or you can smell the breakfast? Could someone do an 8 hour shift milking cows?
    Often wondered this too, are we just conditioned to ten rows being enough. I'm sure there's staff in big Saudi and USA units doing a couple of hours per shift. I heard a big operator in Tipp who put down mattress foam on pit floor and sealed on top with a liquid rubber finish for operator comfort... Apparently it's like walking on a cloud! That would help with fatigue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

alps wrote: »

I suspect milking more than 10 rows will quite commo in the nsxt few years, what may be drive it is the ability to milk on ones own than speed through the parlour

Would be grand if you were only milking but there's a lot of other work to be done and milking has to be done again in the evening. How long does it take to milk 600 cows in a 20 unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Would be grand if you were only milking but there's a lot of other work to be done and milking has to be done again in the evening. How long does it take to milk 600 cows in a 20 unit?

Use to milk 670 through a 16 unit in our around five and a half hours it took if everything went to plan, would say 4 hours for 600 in a 20 unit, some torture on a good chunk of the cows that are spending 7-8 hours a day standing on concrete, cows on the farm above where run as the one herd but brought in around 200 a time

anyone milking once a day on a sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭johnny122

Anyone pre spraying with virolac ? Do he wipe after or not? Have scc problems started pre spraying in hope of reducing it. Any ideas lads

johnny122 wrote: »
    Anyone pre spraying with virolac ? Do he wipe after or not? Have scc problems started pre spraying in hope of reducing it. Any ideas lads
    do you wear gloves? do you milk record? when were the liners last changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Often wondered this too, are we just conditioned to ten rows being enough. I'm sure there's staff in big Saudi and USA units doing a couple of hours per shift. I heard a big operator in Tipp who put down mattress foam on pit floor and sealed on top with a liquid rubber finish for operator comfort... Apparently it's like walking on a cloud! That would help with fatigue.

Good friend works out in Saudi on a large unit, and it's the lowest of the low that do the milkings they're basically robots, same in america with Mexicans....
    The 10 row rule is more for the cows then milker, anymore then a hour and a half between first cluster on and last cluster off your going to hit yields, have increased lameness, and certain cows being underfed as their hitting the paddock when all the nice stuff has already been clipped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

johnny122 wrote: »

Better to do a recording first and find culprits and go from there.best advice I got re scc is just let cows in,give them a spray of water and unless dirty don't touch teats just put cluster on.once u find culprits do a milk culture test to find what bug is causing it and work through treatment plan with ur vet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement