Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Farming General

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Any word on price jerry? Prob meeting this evening! How come theyre so heavily borrowed? Land?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,203 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

scc after jumping in the last few collections,milk recorded last uesday evening and wednesday morning and results aren't back yet. no cruds on sock, am thinking its one of the stale cows, will cmt some this evening and send some samples with lorry driver in morning

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Any word on price jerry? Prob meeting this evening! How come theyre so heavily borrowed? Land?

Setting price Thursday Kev,reason there so heavily borrowed Kev is lots of machinery and toys as well as very high levels of feed going in .mistly all highly intensive indoor systems and big milky cows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Dutch farmers under pressure also and not covering the costs of production

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/netherlands-milk-market-in-disastrous-situation/

In the costs of 42c. there will be a charge for land and labour, rightly so, usually ignored here. The subsidies referred to is the dairy compensatory amount introduced up to 2006,3.5c/lt or 16.5c./gallon,and decoupled after that. What isn't included is the fact that most dairy farms in Holand are based on arable crops, maize etc which will have contributed handsomely to the SFP that these farms receive. On the other hand nitrates and environmental restrictions are more severe and costly there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

In the costs of 42c. there will be a charge for land and labour, rightly so, usually ignored here. The subsidies referred to is the dairy compensatory amount introduced up to 2006,3.5c/lt or 16.5c./gallon,and decoupled after that. What isn't included is the fact that most dairy farms in Holand are based on arable crops, maize etc which will have contributed handsomely to the SFP that these farms receive. On the other hand nitrates and environmental restrictions are more severe and costly there.

Don't the farmers there buy the farm off their parents also? That was what I put the huge borrowings down to?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

If I include all labour and land charges in milk costings I'm also at 42cpl.
    However that would be accounting insanity in my case.
    Methinks the industry may be telling us how well off we are compared to the neighbours...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Don't the farmers there buy the farm off their parents also? That was what I put the huge borrowings down to?

I thought that everyone here would have been better off if they bought their farm on the open market! :)

Inheriting is so expensive...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Dawggone wrote: »
    I thought that everyone here would have been better off if they bought their farm on the open market! :)

If I could thank the last sentence a thousand times I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

If I could thank the last sentence a thousand times I would.

And a thousand more thanx from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Was 55 dry cows on that from mid Nov to feb till calving got under way.
    Was never cleaned out. Between 2-3 bales going in there every day.
    The area we bed is 75ft by 32ft

4m2/cow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

+1000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

just do it wrote: »
    4m2/cow

Is that enough area or too much.
    I'll squeeze a few more in if I can :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

I was on the train yesterday thinking the exact same thing, the amount of land thats going to waste in ireland is frightening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

keep going wrote: »
    I was on the train yesterday thinking the exact same thing, the amount of land thats going to waste in ireland is frightening.

It's one of the most distressing modes of transport for that reason. I travelled out the Loop Head peninsula yesterday, wouldn't be the best land I've seen with lots of challenges but by god is it being farmed. A tonic to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

It's one of the most distressing modes of transport for that reason. I travelled out the Loop Head peninsula yesterday, wouldn't be the best land I've seen with lots of challenges but by god is it being farmed. A tonic to see.

And west clare would be looking good this time of year. Im from that neck of the woods, alot of intensive large operators from miltown down to kilrush and back to the light house, the 4 to 5 month winter is common.

The amount of land wasted back here is still sick too. We are happy with our lot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

there's a guy milking cross bred & kiwis there , you should see his set up , out farm hanging over the atlantic

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

orm0nd wrote: »
    there's a guy milking cross bred & kiwis there , you should see his set up , out farm hanging over the atlantic

I no all those bucks, hes rentin land up near me and draws his silage from there, 45 mins 1 way with a load of silage :rolleyes: hes a good operator though, he sells a lock of heifers every year out to england and places and gets savage prices for them, serious stock. a big kerry coop board man

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭mf240

Any egit could farm good land.

In bad land areas only the real determined lads stay at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Whats the best way to combat low grass dm ? Grass down to 13 % at the moment very hard to keep cows full and growth still very strong so dont really want to put put in 2 much meal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

The only real cure for that is to reintroduce the land rate. Take it out of pretax income. On the old system. The mythical Meath acre as the base value and up or in most cases down from there. Wouldn't be long getting land to market either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

oxjkqg wrote: »
    I no all those bucks, hes rentin land up near me and draws his silage from there, 45 mins 1 way with a load of silage :rolleyes: hes a good operator though, he sells a lock of heifers every year out to england and places and gets savage prices for them, serious stock. a big kerry coop board man

straight talking guy, no bullsh1t given or accepted,

a few years now since I met him , remember milk wasn't great at the time ,
    think he was beating me about 7-8c/ltr, but readily admitted his system wouldn't suit my set up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Whats the best way to combat low grass dm ? Grass down to 13 % at the moment very hard to keep cows full and growth still very strong so dont really want to put put in 2 much meal

Have you tried giving them a larger area? Or would residuals not be reached. May have to introduce silage or give extra meal here, took out 3 days grazing for bales Last week as quality was cat but tight since and rain ain't helping

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

any one going down to wexford tohave a look at delaval robotic system in action
    might give a spin down to have a look with d cheque book left at home..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

orm0nd wrote: »
    straight talking guy, no bullsh1t given or accepted,

a few years now since I met him , remember milk wasn't great at the time ,
    think he was beating me about 7-8c/ltr, but readily admitted his system wouldn't suit my set up

Surely 7/8c a gallon?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

You'd think the government could buy it all up in partnership with a few coops and set up a semi state milk company. Sure theyd make a fortune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Muckit wrote: »
    You'd think the government could buy it all up in partnership with a few coops and set up a semi state milk company. Sure theyd make a fortune

Lol

Coops too cute for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

How long do ya need to wait after spreading lime to graze again?

Jeez I'd say poor dsw is crying if he's getting the rain we are.
    like a monsoon.
    This us like a wet dream for some lads I'd say

Timmaay wrote: »
    How long do ya need to wait after spreading lime to graze again?

If your getting 5he rain I am I'd say no problem grazing the day after it was spread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

If your getting 5he rain I am I'd say no problem grazing the day after it was spread

Didn't spread it yet. Good job, it might well be in the Irish Sea ha. And wet dream... Yes it is ha. Should set us up nicely for most of August.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement