Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

leahyl wrote: »
    That would be like one of my dream jobs!! Tasting Christmas food and photographing it?!! Yes please!!:D

Mine too!!! :D:D:D The thought of how the test kitchen smells these days is almost too much! Time to start gathering the dried fruit for the cake and pud methinks! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

washiskin wrote:
    Enjoy, fellow elves!

There style is very like dunnes. I fell in love with there decor last year!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

How is it less than 130 days already!!! Every year the closer we get to Christmas the quicker the time runs in! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Loughc wrote: »
    How is it less than 130 days already!!! Every year the closer we get to Christmas the quicker the time runs in! :D

This has been a very quick year. I remember getting my leaving cert results last year, I cant believe thats been a year. Its feels like a few months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,367 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Here we go! The usual its to early, it gets earlier ever year.

http://www.her.ie/life/this-is-happening-in-brown-thomas-and-were-not-okay-with-it/250997

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Here we go! The usual its to early, it gets earlier ever year.

http://www.her.ie/life/this-is-happening-in-brown-thomas-and-were-not-okay-with-it/250997

Didn't someone here say that Brown Thomas opened their Christmas shop in August last year too? The 'earlier every year' comments are so silly. Sure at this stage it would be Christmas all year round if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

A neighbour of mine recently bought fairy lights for her hanging ball-plants at the front of her house (they're not called ball plants but they're plants in the shape of a ball..bonsai, maybe?).

Anyway, the sight of them last night got me feeling all Christmassy and I can't wait to see everyone putting their trees up and feeling festive.

I've been embarking on a weight-loss journey recently (lost a stone and a half so far) and I think the big thing I'm looking forward to this year is being able to wear a nice dress instead of hiding myself away in ugly shapeless clothes.

Maybe that's why Christmas will have the extra sparkle for me :)

PS Whenever "I'm a Celebrity.." starts, I know Christmas is near!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

When does X Factor actually start? Probably this Saturday I'd say. And Downton Abbey - this has become a real sign of Christmas being near over the last few years!! Can't wait for the final episode on Christmas Day but it will be so sad also :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Well done Fussyonion.

Leahyl - X Factor starts on 29th August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

Didn't someone here say that Brown Thomas opened their Christmas shop in August last year too? The 'earlier every year' comments are so silly. Sure at this stage it would be Christmas all year round if that was the case.

It opened the last week of august last year , i only remember because it was my birthday & i was brought in got some new decorations and macaroon's :D , working in town this year , so planning on popping in on friday, just to have a look around, I'm trying not yo but anymore decoration's :o

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

It has been confirmed.... it opens THIS THURSDAY!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/brown-thomas-prepares-for-christmas-with-127-days-to-go-1.2320231

Can't wait till M&S bring out their Christmas food catalogue - have never actually bought anything from it but it's good for drooling over and feeling Christmassy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Can't wait till M&S bring out their Christmas food catalogue - have never actually bought anything from it but it's good for drooling over and feeling Christmassy :D

I love it for the same reason. I'm spending Christmas at my folks this year so won't be making a dinner but I love looking through it.

Also, I've to get my hands on the Argos winter catalogue. When does the smyths toys one come out?

I love it too! My parents bought a dessert from it years ago and it was super disappointing and we bought a turkey crown a couple of years ago that wasn't great so I wouldn't be rushing to buy anything from it again. I still love looking at it!

I grabbed a shopping bag from the massive pile (does everyone else have 15 million plastic bags piled up at home) and only noticed when I was in the shop that it was a Tesco Christmas themed bag.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

So 98fm just put this up on their Facebook.

2d2cdxi.jpg

The comments are hilarious. Each one of them fall under our grinch ruling haha.

Oh noes, it's the end of the world. We're all going to be forced to buy tins of Roses now and be merry and all that jazz. It's terrible, Joe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

"It's not even September"
    "Getting earlier every year"
    "Get Halloween out of the way first"
    "Putting pressure on people"

Just let them in here! Loughc and I are notoriously ban-happy. :pac:

Posy wrote: »
    "It's not even September"
    "Getting earlier every year"
    "Get Halloween out of the way first"
    "Putting pressure on people"

Just let them in here! Loughc and I are notoriously ban-happy. :pac:

I'm laughing so loud now reading your post Posy, you've literally hit the nail on the head with your comments, they all appeared multiple times. Same comments every year!

If only I could ban people on Facebook... :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

It's not as if they are being forced to go into the BT Christmas Shop or buy the tins of sweets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

kitten_k wrote: »
    It's not as if they are being forced to go into the BT Christmas Shop or buy the tins of sweets!

Course they are. Marketing :p Christmas marketing makes people do things that they would never usually do. Like buy 2 big tubs of sweets and eat them. I love Christmas marketing

I shared a thing on Facebook earlier

"I have OCD. Obsessive Christmas disorder" earlier.

Not. One. Like.

Whispered wrote: »
    I shared a thing on Facebook earlier

"I have OCD. Obsessive Christmas disorder" earlier.

Not. One. Like.

Haha, I seen a group page share that this morning.

I'm laughing so loud now reading your post Posy, you've literally hit the nail on the head with your comments, they all appeared multiple times. Same comments every year!

If only I could ban people on Facebook... :P:D

A friend of mine recently started working with me and she's a mad fan of Halloween so I'm trying to humour her by telling her that we can celebrate Halloween in work this year; she's one of the "let's get over Halloween first" brigade! I really don't understand why people give out so much; it's the same every year with them giving out about Winter and saying "oh I can't wait till the weather gets better and the evenings are brighter"

MEH!:D

I was actually only thinking this morning that I'm done with the bright evenings. I'm looking forward to the dark evenings, miserable weather and getting all cosy in home, watching the trashy weekend tv that's starting back.

Halloween is a strange one, I used to love it as a child, now I'm really not bothered by it at all. I blame the lack of decent horror movies and shows they show on tv, I remember years ago for Halloween there would be horror films on back to back.

I was actually only thinking this morning that I'm done with the bright evenings. I'm looking forward to the dark evenings, miserable weather and getting all cosy in home, watching the trashy weekend tv that's starting back.

Halloween is a strange one, I used to love it as a child, now I'm really not bothered by it at all. I blame the lack of decent horror movies and shows they show on tv, I remember years ago for Halloween there would be horror films on back to back.

The only thing I ever liked about Halloween was the scary movies; I hated going out trick or treating - it was like a chore for me! I must say this year though that my friend is making it a bit more exciting since she's in work with me so it's an excuse for me to bake Halloween goodies and perhaps....decorate for Halloween.....:eek::D

You had me at baking Halloween goodies....

We put a pumpkin decoration in the window of our front door for the last two years, that's as about as wild as I go for decorating for the night.

The difference between Halloween and Christmas, is Halloween is only one night, while Christmas is a season in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

I prefer christmas by far as someone said it's a whole season as opposed to one night. But with all boys in my house we go all out for Halloween here! Love it! Actually have been trying to justify putting up a few random bits and starting early. Or just not dusting and letting natural cobwebs form :) last year I was decorating right up til Halloween day and felt like I didn't get to enjoy all my efforts :(

Definitely know christmas season is upon us when people start complaining it's "getting earlier each year " !

I'm not a Halloween fan at all. Thankfully my husband feels the same as me (actually he hates it more!) so we avoid it by going to the cinema or closing the curtains and pretending we're not home like cranks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

I'm not a Halloween fan at all. Thankfully my husband feels the same as me (actually he hates it more!) so we avoid it by going to the cinema or closing the curtains and pretending we're not home like cranks. :D

Had to laugh when I read this! Love that film :) funnily it's the one holiday my OH loves. He's a real grinch at christmas time :(

I will admit though it was never a holiday i liked but it's become a bit of a competition in my house. My eldest son (7) has no fear and every year we try up the antics and decorations to try give him a fright... so far were losing :) child has no fear :D

Saying that 1st November it all comes down house cleaned and christmas stuff comes out !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

Loughc you beat me to it with the tins, was in Dunnes at lunch and my face was :D:D but other people were disgusted looking! Let the sweet price war commence!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement