Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭monday monday

Thanks Das Kitty. yeah i know i'm just being silly. i think reading things on the internet is the worst thing i can do. i'm like "hang on, i'm not getting that symptom, ot that one, or that one,aggghhh!!!".
    but super excited to tell people. i told my parents after the scan. i have never ever ever got a hug off my dad(he's not much for talking about feelings) but he hugged me the next day when no one was around. i couldn't believe it.
    holding off telling everyone else,including himselfs parents until after hospital app. we're not married but happily together nearly 9 years. dreading telling his parents, they're never really happy about anything so i don't think this will be any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Welcome Monday Monday, and congrats!
    DoctorBoo, glad the sickness is easing off. Mine seems to be ramping up - I had an awful heave in the car yesterday evening and I'm feeling decidedly ropey today! I bought a pack of mini oat biccies to nibble from M&S, they seem to help. Boobs are expanding at a ridiculous rate - I'll be Lolo Ferrari before long! I'm up nearly two cup sizes, and they are so sore!
    I have my first appointment in Holles St tomorrow, reeealy hoping to get a mini scan! I'll keep you posted :)

I have only told a handful of people in work, I had to as I work in residential care with people who can be aggressive, so I'll have to be kept in a quieter area. I'm off now for another 10 days, so by the time I go back I'll be nearly 9 weeks, so much closer to the magic 12. I can't wait to tell everyone - they'll all be really excited for us. It's going verrrry slowly....... Roll on April!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wooha

Just had to post this, sooo excited!!
    10 weeks today and had a check up with the doc this morning. She asked if I wanted to try and see if we could find a heartbeat, so I said "Absolutely!!"
    I think she used a Doppler – first it was showing my heart rate, and then it changed to 144 and she said "And that's the baby's" - it then switched over between mine and the baby's a couple of times, but it was soooo cool!! Makes it a lot more real that there is actually a real live baby in there :-)
    Next big exciting thing is in 3 week when I have my first scan in CUH :-)

I told close family and friends and my boss + 1 colleague at work. Really wanted to blurt it out today at work, was nearly wondering why nobody was asking me why I had this insane looking grin on my face all day :-)
    But will tell them in 3 weeks after the scan – can't wait!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭julias_jewel

Wooha wrote: »
    Just had to post this, sooo excited!!
    10 weeks today and had a check up with the doc this morning. She asked if I wanted to try and see if we could find a heartbeat, so I said "Absolutely!!"
    I think she used a Doppler – first it was showing my heart rate, and then it changed to 144 and she said "And that's the baby's" - it then switched over between mine and the baby's a couple of times, but it was soooo cool!! Makes it a lot more real that there is actually a real live baby in there :-)
    Next big exciting thing is in 3 week when I have my first scan in CUH :-)

I told close family and friends and my boss + 1 colleague at work. Really wanted to blurt it out today at work, was nearly wondering why nobody was asking me why I had this insane looking grin on my face all day :-)
    But will tell them in 3 weeks after the scan – can't wait!!

Oooh thats brill wooha !! Delighted for you xx

Have a quick question for you all... Hair is in dire need of a colour but no what to do! My friend said once theres windows open and a bit of air coming its fine.

Anyone any thoughts on this? On one hand im nervous about it,on the other my hair is ridiculous!

Oooh thats brill wooha !! Delighted for you xx

Have a quick question for you all... Hair is in dire need of a colour but no what to do! My friend said once theres windows open and a bit of air coming its fine.

Anyone any thoughts on this? On one hand im nervous about it,on the other my hair is ridiculous!

Apparently it's fine, I asked my hairdresser about it and its an old wives tale that you can't dye your hair - I'm getting highlights on Friday, and my sister dyed her hair all through both her pregnancies. The only problem might be if the smell makes you feel sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

Brilliant news about the hair dye - I've been walking around like a badger for weeks!! I think I'll break out the hair dye tonight! :-)

Are anyone else's vitamins having a bad effect on them? My sickness has calmed down a good bit during the day, but I find that I'm vomiting after the vitamins in the evenings and getting diarrhea the next morning. Would switching vitamins be any help?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

DoctorBoo wrote: »
    Brilliant news about the hair dye - I've been walking around like a badger for weeks!! I think I'll break out the hair dye tonight! :-)

Are anyone else's vitamins having a bad effect on them? My sickness has calmed down a good bit during the day, but I find that I'm vomiting after the vitamins in the evenings and getting diarrhea the next morning. Would switching vitamins be any help?

Which ones are you taking? Folic acid should be all you need really.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

Das Kitty wrote: »

Which ones are you taking? Folic acid should be all you need really.

I'm taking Seven Seas pregnancy vitamins. It seems to have a host of vitamins plus folic acid. I think I need the extra vitamins as my diet is very plain due to nausea/vomiting.

nikpmup wrote: »
    Apparently it's fine, I asked my hairdresser about it and its an old wives tale that you can't dye your hair - I'm getting highlights on Friday, and my sister dyed her hair all through both her pregnancies. The only problem might be if the smell makes you feel sick.

Thanks nikpump, I did it this morning, had all the windows open just to be sure!!
    Its amazing the lift it gives you. Im going to get waxed at 11, so il start to look a bit normal :)

Im not feeling too bad this week, I have a bit of heartburn and a few dizzy spells.

DoctorBoo, you poor thing, im thinking about taking the Seven Seas aswell, as my diet isnt the best. Im just waiting on blood tests to come back to see everything thing is ok

DoctorBoo wrote: »
    I'm taking Seven Seas pregnancy vitamins. It seems to have a host of vitamins plus folic acid. I think I need the extra vitamins as my diet is very plain due to nausea/vomiting.

Babies are brilliant at taking what they need. I was told only to take the folic acid in the first trimester. Then if I needed iron in the 2nd /3rd I'd be told. Multivits can be hard on the tummy. When I'm not pregnant I take b-complex but I've stopped that now as they were making me sicker. Those pregnancy multivits are expensive too.

I still get sick in the evenings though. It seems to be after the day I'm full of gas and that makes me sick. I've started eating dinner at lunchtime as I can't eat in the evenings.

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »

Babies are brilliant at taking what they need. I was told only to take the folic acid in the first trimester. Then if I needed iron in the 2nd /3rd I'd be told. Multivits can be hard on the tummy. When I'm not pregnant I take b-complex but I've stopped that now as they were making me sicker. Those pregnancy multivits are expensive too.

I still get sick in the evenings though. It seems to be after the day I'm full of gas and that makes me sick. I've started eating dinner at lunchtime as I can't eat in the evenings.

I'm kinda the same - start feeling queasy at around dinner time. I might do as you do, have a main meal at lunchtime and see if that helps.

I'm just back from my first appointment... Everything as it should be, and they did a scan! Saw my little beanie and a good strong heartbeat too, which I wasn't expecting as I'm only seven weeks! Very excited!

Also meant to say - I got asked to sign up for a study today, regarding diet & exercise in pregnancy - I agreed, mostly because if I take part I get an extra scan!

I'm kinda the same - start feeling queasy at around dinner time. I might do as you do, have a main meal at lunchtime and see if that helps.

I'm just back from my first appointment... Everything as it should be, and they did a scan! Saw my little beanie and a good strong heartbeat too, which I wasn't expecting as I'm only seven weeks! Very excited!

I should start doing that. We went for a meal this evening and halfway through the meal i felt warm and faint... When we were heading for the car afterwards i vomited on the ground. I was mortified :(

Awww congratulations on the scan :) cannot wait for ours :)

Hello all

Hope you're all having a good BH weekend - it's odd to be in on a bank holiday Saturday!
    Exhaustion seems to be kicking in; I have been hitting the hay earlier and earlier; that's when I'm not snoozing on the sofa! I organised a surprise party for my mothers retirement last night, got to bed at 2am and I spent the day feeling like I had the worlds worst hangover! Did manage to eat little and often though so no nausea. I hope the tiredness lifts soon.

Have a good weekend all, hope the no drinking excuses are holding out!

Ha ha! Myself and himself just watched a docu on bbc4 about useless oiks being in the delivery room with the mum-to-be as she's pushing junior into the world..... An eye opener!! Only seven months to go.......:eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ilovedexter

Hi all, great forum. Wish i had seen it a month ago! Due on the 10th October, both super excited. It's our first and we have so much to learn! No morning sickness so far, just very very tired

ilovedexter, if you've avoided the sickness thus far I reckon you're in the clear!

Welcome to the thread. :)

Just as I was starting to feel better I developed a chesty cough and it's making my stomach lurch. :( I was very moody yesterday.

Back at work for the four day week and feeling better though. Told most of my mates at the weekend, have yet to tell my other half's siblings. He wants to do it in person and they're not around. :pac:

Still thinking of holding out with work til the week after next.

Hi all, great forum. Wish i had seen it a month ago! Due on the 10th October, both super excited. It's our first and we have so much to learn! No morning sickness so far, just very very tired

Hi ilovedexter - welcome and congrats!! As Dad Kitty said, you may have got away with morning sickness if you haven't had any yet.
    The tiredness is something else, isn't it? I always was a person who could manage on four hours sleep - at the moment, I'm conking out on the couch at about 7pm, snoozing there till 9.30am, going to bed and sleeping until about 10am!! I'm back in work on Saturday, I'll have to do two 13 hour shifts back-to-back and I've no idea how I'm going to get through them!

Das Kitty, I hope the cough lifts soon :(

Hey girls!! Hope everyone is keeping well xx

So had my scan this morning and saw my little stricky bean doing little dance moves....
    It was brilliant, I couldn't believe it, I couldn't stop crying :)

Still sick and dizzy but I don't care :)

Das kitty, hope the cough eases for you!

Welcome ilovedexter!!!

Hopefully the shifts will fly for you nikpmup

Great news julias_jewel! It's so exciting to see the little flutter on screen!

I had a tiny bit of blood this morning - I mean tiny, but I had myself in an awful state. There's been none since, and no pain, so I won't panic just yet - if it comes back I'll phone the hospital. We DTD this morning so it might be just that - we'll be laying off for a few days to be on the safe side!!

Top tip : ice lollies lessen nausea! Bought some tesco finest Valencia orange ones (just orange juice and sugar) and I feel lots better. I also have a recipe for fresh ginger ale which I'm going to try in a while, I'll post the recipe if its nice.

• Advertisement

Ginger ale recipe : grate about 70g of fresh ginger (no need to peel) into a bowl. Add about 3 tablespoons of light brown or muscavado sugar and the peel of a lemon. Bash around for about 30 seconds with a heavy spoon (I used a cocktail muddler!) Add the juice of 1 -1 and a half lemons. Add about a litre of sparkling water. Stir well and leave to sit for about five minutes. Strain into a jug. You may wish to add more water or sugar to taste, or more lemon juice. Drink over ice.

I reckon if you made this with flat water and froze it in ice lolly moulds it would make an excellent morning sickness cure!

Had a little more blood this morning so phoned Holles st... The midwife said not to worry unless its a significant amount of red blood or if there's pain. Am not in any way reassured! Think I'll sit perfectly still for the remainder of this pregnancy....

Had a little more blood this morning so phoned Holles st... The midwife said not to worry unless its a significant amount of red blood or if there's pain. Am not in any way reassured! Think I'll sit perfectly still for the remainder of this pregnancy....

That's what I would do.... I know it's hard to do nothing (for me it is) but just think of your little sticky bean xx

Have you been scanned yet? Did they give you any indication of where the placenta is?

I know some people can bleed a little when their periods would have been due, so at 8, 12, 16 weeks.

Don't worry, I know plenty of people who bled lots during perfectly healthy pregnancies for lots of benign reasons. I know you were joking, but sitting still at this stage isn't going to make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

I had a bleed too a few weeks ago and they said it was prob a urinary infection. Seriously if its just spotting dont be worrying, ive missed carried before and you would know all about it if the bleed was anything bad... ;)

Stop worrying, but your feet up and get lots of TLC :D

Thanks ladies, I know logically that it's nothing, but still.... Das Kitty, I had a scan last thurs and everything was where it should be and there was a heartbeat as well.
    Fingers, toes, eyes and legs crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

So went back to my gp today he said it might be too early to hear anything with his gadget but will give it a go. Couldn't hear anything but he didn't seem concerned.
    So not sure what to think. I definitely feel pregnant just a tad worried he couldn't pick up a heart beat. It was just a hand held thing he has. I'm 11 weeks tomorrow.

So went back to my gp today he said it might be too early to hear anything with his gadget but will give it a go. Couldn't hear anything but he didn't seem concerned.
    So not sure what to think. I definitely feel pregnant just a tad worried he couldn't pick up a heart beat. It was just a hand held thing he has. I'm 11 weeks tomorrow.

With the doppler, it's from 13 weeks with a full bladder. Some people can hear it earlier or later depending on the baby's position. Don't worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Ah I peed before I went in oops!! I was bursting though haha!! Thanks for that :-)

• Advertisement

Those dopplers can be hard to pick up a heartbeat even at a later stage - your baby's only the size of a plum or a lemon :) Hard to find a tiny lentil-sized heart inside a plum inside an adult tummy! Don't be worried - you'll get to see the hb at your scan.

Advertisement