Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I'm wearing... ***NO quoting photos***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

Dont buy a new Bezel...Spend the money on a nice new isofrane Rubber strap...Black or Orange (or both:D)

+1 for isofrane... I picked up both the black and orange straps for my Planet Ocean. Wonderfully comfortable straps and well worth the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

dancrowley wrote: »
    +1 for isofrane... I picked up both the black and orange straps for my Planet Ocean. Wonderfully comfortable straps and well worth the cost.

Never had a rubber strap on a watch. Something to think about. What I need to do is get handy at swapping straps. Service is first call though. 160 minimum so strap or bezels will have to wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Isn't there a rubberised leather type strap for them?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

308189.jpg

Omega Seamaster "Mariner 1" from circa 1976. Cal 1310, first fully in house Quartz from Omega. As a publicity stunt two of these were strapped to the mast and keel of a yacht running in a trans Atlantic race.
    IMG_6069.jpg
    They came out of it unscathed and bang on time. Surprising given it's a snap back case.

The time setting is oddball. Crown fully out hours minutes and seconds hack/stop and can be set, crown in second position and the watch keeps running but you can set the hour hand separately for timezone changes. When running the top push button will advance the seconds in two second intervals to sync with the correct time. Very complicated but cool or wha? At the time these were the "future", hence the plaque advertising Quartz and they were about three times the price of a Speedmaster. Today about 300 quid.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Looks great Wibbs. I have been temped by these in the past but never pulled the trigger. I didn't think one could be picked up for €300 though , that's great money for such a significant watch in Omega's history.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thanks MB, they're pretty cool alright. Hard to photograph because of the weird angles, they look better in the flesh. Personally - and it's not because of my mutant wrists :) - I'm not so sure about one on the original bracelet. I think they look better on a strap that tapers out at the lugs.

Pricewise there are a lot of (IMHO)daft BIN prices for them on the Bay(and elsewhere). The most I'd stump up for one is 500 and that would want to be in NOS condition. One like that with its box and papers went for near enough that on a Bay auction in the last month. Around the 300 mark would be my comfort zone TBH.

The thing is if you strip away the "Omegamania" around the brand, these aren't rare(neither are vintage Speedys for that matter). On any day of the year on the bay there's gonna be 4 to 10 of them on the go. Not rare at all. They seem to have made a lot of them for an extended period of time. I'd go so far as to reckon that these Omegas(and those with the same movement) are about the commonest early vintage quartz around. The girard perregaux and JLC would be rarer, Lip quartz' rarer again, stuff like Longines Ultra Quartz' would be unicorn droppings time. Even Omega's earlier Megaquartz tech inc their Marine Chronometer while rare enough are still pretty available, just at higher prices. My take anyway.

Put it another way I have two of them. The one above and a non working earlier one I got for spares(bidding on the Bay in me cups :o:D). I reckon all it needs is a service and an adjustment on the backlash finger and it'll run. If I do get it running I'd be selling it off in these parts for under 200 quid.

Still for all that they are defo worth 300 quid IMHO. Like you say they are a significant watch in Omega's history and the history of 20th century horology. They're different, they look damned cool and are easy to read, they're pretty tough and they can be regulated to run near enough to their original claim of keeping to a minute a month. Mine runs about that I'd reckon*.

*though of all my early quartz stuff it's the Bulova accuquartz that is spookily accurate, well under a minute per year and they can be had for well under 200 quid. I got mine for 60.).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

JIALILEI

[IMG][/img]IMG_20140523_165917.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

24052014.JPG

Cork strap from Portugal: http://www.corkwatchstraps.com/

Another gorge Universal Geneve. It reminds me of the original Rolex Oyster, only bigger, funkier and altogether cooler.

Rolex+-+Oyster+1926.jpg

Nice strap too. What are they like to wear?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

thanks wibbs!! omega geneve f300hz
    308311.jpg

Introduced the pic for you cos it needs to be publicly seen. Nice catch BTW :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

need to buy a universal geneve, they look fab

thanks wibbs!! omega geneve f300hz
    Man that's a beaut and IMHO you got a real bargain there. Well wear. :)
    need to buy a universal geneve, they look fab
    They do and they're a very cool maker with some really interesting history and still undervalued, even though they're a little dearer than some. CB has got some beauties. :)

Today I was going a bit personally nostalgic.
    308359.jpg
    An early enough Fossil "Big Tic" I bought in the late 90's on a trip to the Canaries with a mate of mine. She and me had just come out of some life/relationship daftness so we figured feck it. :) I had left my watches at home for safety's sake and well I couldn't have a naked wrist so bought this on the Aer Fungus flight on the way over. Thought it was funky at the time. Takes two batteries. One for the main movement, one for the Big Tic seconds display. When replacing them you have to rapidly touch a tweezers off two contacts on the movement to make the seconds kick off. Accuracy wise as far as I can tell it's pretty crappy, but it's different so I like it and it reminds me of a good time. :)

Dunno why, but I seem to take photos of my stuff around noon.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Wibbs wrote: »
    Man that's a beaut and IMHO you got a real bargain there. Well wear. :)

They do and they're a very cool maker with some really interesting history and still undervalued, even though they're a little dearer than some. CB has got some beauties. :)

Today I was going a bit personally nostalgic.
    An early enough Fossil "Big Tic" I bought in the late 90's on a trip to the Canaries with a mate of mine. She and me had just come out of some life/relationship daftness so we figured feck it. :) I had left my watches at home for safety's sake and well I couldn't have a naked wrist so bought this on the Aer Fungus flight on the way over. Thought it was funky at the time. Takes two batteries. One for the main movement, one for the Big Tic seconds display. When replacing them you have to rapidly touch a tweezers off two contacts on the movement to make the seconds kick off. Accuracy wise as far as I can tell it's pretty crappy, but it's different so I like it and it reminds me of a good time. :)

Dunno why, but I seem to take photos of my stuff around noon.

No Nato Wibbs? Must be a first:)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Trying to decide what to wear on this rainy day and I chose my Steinhart GMT, but given that I was wearing it in the sun 10 days ago I will post a sunny shot.

Taken in Guadalest Spain, a must see place if you are in the area.

DSC08046_zpsa182f77d.jpg

DSC08048_zpsb1051eb9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭prq

Today I'm wearing... a Vostok Komandirskie "Generalskie"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

My Oris TT1, with apologies for the quality of the pic

308811.JPG

Just got this back from Emily at watchrepairs.ie yesterday. Its looking nearly as good as new and is keeping time better than it ever did before.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Got this back yesterday from a service as the hands were slightly misaligned - all I can say is that I'm not impressed with the after sales care :(

The rubber strap is a dust magnet (as you can see from the pics) but very confortable and makes the watch a lot lighter than using the bracelet.

DN%2520GMT%2520002.jpg
    DN%2520GMT%2520001.jpg

m4r10 wrote: »
    Got this back yesterday from a service as the hands were slightly misaligned - all I can say is that I'm not impressed with the after sales care :(

The rubber strap is a dust magnet (as you can see from the pics) but very confortable and makes the watch a lot lighter than using...

Looks like it fits your wrist nicely . Those things always look like they must weigh a tonne on the bracelet. The strap dust issue is probably due to the use of silicone rather than proper rubber.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

My new Accurist grand Prix watch. The dial on the right is the 24hr and on the left is the minutes. Since I bought this watch a few days ago I had so many people ask me about it. Good looking watch with unusual disc chronograph. Very comfy too:)

[IMG][/img]IMG_20140531_205114.jpg

One of 3 eco drives I have.

Gonna sell this I think. Getting no wrist time.

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    One of 3 eco drives I have.

Gonna sell this I think. Getting no wrist time.

I'm not really surprised that it's not getting wrist-time considering the competition.

I'm not really surprised that it's not getting wrist-time considering the competition.

Lol. Put on adverts last night and sold within the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,945 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

today im wearing this of course :D

2F2C2CA0-5110-4D14-A6E5-FC7D89E3C577_zpsg3w15a0l.jpg

BA7B9672-AC99-4821-AE3F-16FD3B1AB9D4_zpshg4azjic.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

14171239597_a05abcd1a7_c.jpg

SKX-A35 on a nice Nato!

Today I'm going Russian.

2dvjrqv.jpg

Handwind Vintage Vostok Amphibia. Built like a housebrick and remarkably accurate for such a cheap watch. The quality and machining of the main case is also very good. Better than many Swiss names of similar vintage IMHO.

14194909389_8eb457972f_c.jpg

Seiko SARB059 on another pretty nato. Green of the face doesn't show up under fluorescent office lighting but looks great under sunlight at the right angle.

Speaking of Natos... Found a couple of my old ones at the weekend.
    34gahk5.jpg
    The top one is one of the earliest I found. Mid 1990's. On holliers in France IIRC. I didn't realise you folded the strap back into the keepers back then(no info on the interwebs at the time), so cut it to size. Odd design in that it uses leather keepers. The lower one I got around 2000. It came in that length and again Natoesque. The very first one I got was an actual issued G10 and English bloke gave me in the early 90's. Dunno where that went though. I was that ahead of the curve. I'm that fashionable. :eek::D For my next prediction I'd give the nod to rubber/silicone dive straps in various colours. I reckon the Nato is here to stay though.

Nato is still a sign of a bit of a WIS, or at least someone who is into their watches more then most people. In all my travels i have only ever saw 3 other natos being worn "in the wild".

Rubber/silicon are a bit more common as they are more readily available and come stock on plenty of cheap watches.

For me Natos are a great way to make a watch look new and different, saving me buying piles of new watches.

new watch 200 - 700+ euros
    new nato - 10 quid. no brainer!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Wibbs wrote: »
    ...such a cheap watch. The quality and machining of the main case is also very good. Better than many Swiss names of similar vintage IMHO.

For the average Soviet citizen in the day it was anything but ...and hard to come by at that.

• Advertisement

Post by metrosity deleted, so no luck adding to your post count here. Post in a similar vein again and you'll get a ban.

Advertisement