Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I'm wearing... ***NO quoting photos***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's the Russians for ya, always thinking ahead. :) Nice watch A.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A little something to brighten up an otherwise dull Sunday

240406.JPG
    240407.JPG

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's very cool looking P. Real swinging 60's space exploration vibe.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Today I went more recent. Well more recent for me. :)
    240597.jpg
    1940-41 Alpina KM as issued to the German Navy/Kriegsmarine(Hence the KM on the dial) in WW2. 30 mm across plated brass case, though much of the plating has worn(which I prefer TBH), stainless steel back, 15 jewel movement and remarkably after the years passed an accurate time keeper. Funny enough for an issued navy watch, not "waterproof". They were that sure of themselves. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

241408.jpg

I like this a lot, the styling really appeals to me. My only gripe is that it's a little small. As far as I'm aware it was never issued into Europe so it looks small on the wrist :(

• Advertisement

Sunday is chrono day :D

Today it's the German with the golden Russian heart

241417.JPG
    241419.JPG

Today I was wearing this, my hack(no pun) watch;

241666.jpg
    'pologies for the flash flare. Quartz Marathon Navigators watch, produced for the US military to standard MIL-W-46374G. This is the date version, non sterile* with 'US Government" on the dial. Designed for pilots, so can take depressurisation and all that. Kinda redundant these days cos if your F18 has lost all timing and nav equipment one is kinda royally fooked, one is. Crap placcy thing with a one jewel(oh yes, one) movement yet it's the only quartz job I've had that has never crapped out on me. The tritium tube lume is bloody brilliant(again no pun) and it's well within specs for timekeeping(loses maybe 5 seconds a week).

I got it from a US military guy as it happens. Mate of a mate, who I'd brought out for a pint when he was passing through Dublin years back. Afterwards when he heard from our mutual mate that I liked mil watches he asked around and got one for me gratis which was very decent of him. Given he's one of the guys on the ground at the sharp end and not a jet jockey, apparently the guys he asked about getting one were "eh what would you want with one of those POS? You can get a G-shock or Timex Ironman in the PX". That's what most of the guys actually wear I gather. He told them I got him pissed in Dublin so they were more than helpful then, "ah well fairs fair TBH, we'll dig one up".:D

The Pilots privately buy Breitlings and Rolexes and the like apparently. Suckers for the bling. :) He did tell me the search and rescue diver type guys actually like and wear the various issued Marathon SAR watches though and a couple of same he's seen on the wrists of army and special forces guys.

*in issued mil watch circles a sterile dial means no links to military/government, even manufacturer in some cases. Security like. Which is a bit daft when you think about it. "We've found this bloke whose watch has zero markings. Oh really... clearly not the greengrocer then". Military intelligence in the higher echelons at work. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

2013-02-20135359_zps85ec6814.jpg

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Today I went from my most modern(mid nougties) watch, to back to near the start of where wristwatches began and one I have near twenty years.
    241953.jpg
    1916 15 jewel Longines so called "trench watch" or wristlet from the Great War. Silver cased with hinged double lid at back and press fit front. Large for a watch of this period(that isn't a later pocket watch conversion) at 36 mm. Unusual too as it has swivel lugs when most had just solid wire loops. Perfect enamel dial and original crown that even has a little "L" on it. Accuracy is near quartz level. :eek: On a period style strap made up on an original strap making machine from 1917.

I used to aim at Longines and Zenith back in the day. Both were seriously undervalued and Longines still are IMH. Pre 1940 Longines with a few exceptions are half the price or less of equivalent Omegas and the like. Rolex before the oyster and with rare extra prima movements were very workaday. Yet back in the day Longines were more expensive to buy and were considered the height of luxury. A 1920 New Yorker magazine survey on luxury goods/lifestyle of it's readers had Longines topping the wishlist on the watch question. Plus since day one they've kept precise records of every watch they ever sold and to whom. They're also one of the oldest trademarks in history and certainly the oldest in watchmaking. Sooner or later this discrepancy in value will be noted. Doubly so as two of their biggest markets back in the day was the far east and south America... Watch(no pun) this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Bit ahead of yourself there DT? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Still wearing my new PAM homage. Wasn't mad about the black strap it came on, so today I put it on a cheapy one from fleabay, which I much prefer.

Before:
    8492501565_d29be86e40.jpg

After:
    8493602266_fa9f5b284a.jpg8492501747_a01eb052d6.jpg

Zagato wrote: »
    Bit ahead of yourself there DT? ;)

yeh...its a Gift IWC give us owners so we can win some cash to allow us to pay for the things :D

Eoin wrote: »
    Still wearing my new PAM homage. Wasn't mad about the black strap it came on, so today I put it on a cheapy one from fleabay, which I much prefer.

It does show how important a strap is and how much it can change the whole look of the watch...I like it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Eoin wrote: »
    Still wearing my new PAM homage.

Where did you pick it up Eoin? Been thinking of getting one myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It came up for sale on tz-uk and I snapped it up, as I was a day away from ordering one from Getat anyway. It hardly worked out cheaper at all to buy it second hand and then get a new strap, but I didn't have the patience to wait a month for one to arrive from China.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

peasant wrote: »
    Sunday is chrono day :D

Today it's the German with the golden Russian heart

241417.JPG
    241419.JPG

Liking this more every time I look at it.

What is it? I can't find much when I G Torpedo chrono. This might well have to go on The List!

There's a very small hint of this in there too:

http://www.chrono24.com/en/breguet/transatlantique-type-xxi-flyback-chronograph--id2133218.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

26510D93-8FA3-45E6-8DB5-00ED8294D4D7-1480-0000009E867D055C_zps3fc06ea3.jpg

This is a Traser P 6508 Code Blue. It's similar to the Marathon Mil watch that Wibbs owns. I don't have a sexy story like Wibbs as to how I got it though. I purchased this online maybe 6 / 7 years ago. It's a great beater and has never put a foot wrong.

They're actually a copy of the Stocker & Yale Type 6 officially issued by the US military back in the 90's. Mad money now for a plastic low quality watch. Only your Traser is far better made with a way better movement. Nice watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

It's a great beater and has never put a foot wrong.

You mean never put a 'hand' wrong?!

blindsider wrote: »
    Liking this more every time I look at it.

What is it? I can't find much when I G Torpedo chrono. This might well have to go on The List!

You won't find much on Torpedo. It was a telesales special "brand" that faltered after 100 units each of two (perhaps 3) different watches.

It's just a re-labelled Junkers (in this case the Junkers 6500, now also no longer available new) with a Poljot 3133 chrono movement.

The reason why I bought the "Torpedo" is because in that the 3133 is at its highest grade of finishing ...if I could I'd wear it back to front :D

(and I got it cheaper than any Junkers on offer at the time)

• Advertisement

Today I am still wearing my IWC Aquatimer....Cant take it off....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

My Oris Artelier WorldTimer...

242169.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

bh0eih.jpg

I'm not a fan of dates on watches(Luddite alert), but I do like that arrangement A. Niiice. And I love the second hand. That right there is one of the easiest watches to read I've seen in quite a while.

Went swimming earlier, hence chose the BM today

242508.jpg

I do love the Seiko divers A. Very cool and distinctive design. Too many divers tend to follow the Rolex "Oyster" type model(and there's nada wrong with that BTW), but I like to see novel approaches, like the supercompressors and the Russian Amphibias.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭corpo3030

My newest Seiko on a more comfortable canvas strap.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I do love the Seiko divers A. Very cool and distinctive design. Too many divers tend to follow the Rolex "Oyster" type model(and there's nada wrong with that BTW), but I like to see novel approaches, like the supercompressors and the Russian Amphibias.

Cheers Wibbs. I know its not the prettiest watch but I always liked its chunky, utilitarian looks, and also that its tough as old boots and relatively inexpensive!

Today though, I went for a chrono...

242725.jpg

Anjobe wrote: »
    Cheers Wibbs. I know its not the prettiest watch but I always liked its chunky, utilitarian looks, and also that its tough as old boots and relatively inexpensive!

Today though, I went for a chrono...

Thats nice...whats the model

• Advertisement

Thats nice...whats the model

Its H71556557.

Advertisement