Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why are there no J D Wetherspoon pubs in ROI?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

if you think someone couldn't taste the difference between a bud and a cask ale, you're very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

My ****ing arse.

If you served Budweiser to a beer snob out of an unmarked tap in a craft bar and told him on the menu it was a smooth, crisp beer brewed since 1892 in a Slovak monastery, the dopey hipster prick would be raving about it whilst simultaneously badmouthing Bud as commercial crap. I remember n article a while back when they gave critics Tesco branded wine and gave them another Tesco wine but with a fake label the critics slated the branded wine and raved about the unmarked Tesco wine.

LOL your taking shite, as much as you would like them all to be pretentious snobs most of them actually just prefer to pay for something they enjoy than be seen to be drinking a specific brand that tastes like gone off water

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

MYOB wrote: »
    After about ten other beers, someone might get confused.

If you think those two taste the same otherwise, you need to get your tongue examined, urgently. The fact that they're not even made of the same ingredients might be a very obvious indicator.

Well that's odd because the first time I had a Budvar was in Prague. The odd thing about Prague is that despite being apparently the European centre of beer, apart from Budvar most bars only have about two or three other beers on tap, the place gets pretty repetitive. Great ciy for a lads session but **** you get pretty bored of drinking Pilsner Urquell (??) and Gambrinus (?) for a week straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well that's odd because the first time I had a Budvar was in Prague. The odd thing about Prague is that despite being apparently the European centre of beer, apart from Budvar most bars only have about two or three other beers on tap, the place gets pretty repetitive.

I have no idea what the relevance of where you first had it was.

Most European bars only have a small number of beers on tap. Ditto the UK. The Irish situation of 10+, nearly all served badly, is unique. European bars usually have a hell of a lot more bottled.

In Copenhagen most bars I was in had 3 taps - Carlsberg, Carls Special ale and Tuborg. Hipster-loved places have Guinness for some reason. All had a huge range of bottled though.

MYOB wrote: »
    I have no idea what the relevance of where you first had it was.

Because the lad who quoted me seemed to think I had sank ten pints of Bud before trying a Budvar and thinking it was the same. Budvar and Budweiser are like Opel and Vauxhall, and no amount of pretentious hipster **** will convince anyone smart enough otherwise.

• Advertisement

Because the lad who quoted me seemed to think I had sank ten pints of Bud before trying a Budvar and thinking it was the same. Budvar and Budweiser are like Opel and Vauxhall, and no amount of pretentious hipster **** will convince anyone smart enough otherwise.

They're not even the same type of beer. They're not made from the same ingredients. There isn't a hope in hell they taste the same.

You clearly have no working tastebuds.

dan1895 wrote: »
    Whatever about the tesco wine but that is complete bull. Your basically saying Bud tastes like craft beer?? Get real.

If Bud was presented with a description of being brewed in an overtly traditional non factory way since the dark ages do you doubt it would not be critically lauded? I reckon within 100 years someone will set up a "real" Irish draught brand, and Guinness will become regarded as commercial touristy ****e that is contaminated by the Bud and other big names brewed in the same plant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Of course they would.

Budvar is a highly regarded Czech beer.

Bud is regarded as yank toilet water.

Apart from the fact Budvar has slightly more of a kick to the taste due to its slightly higher alcohol volume Budweiser and Budvar taste nearly identical.

Try telling that to a beer snob. You'd have more chance of getting blowjob off the pope.

Budvar tastes very unlike Budweiser.

Read the ingredients list for both. Budvar doesn't have ****ing rice in it.

The only thing they have in common is they are both light, pale lagers.

Well that's odd because the first time I had a Budvar was in Prague. The odd thing about Prague is that despite being apparently the European centre of beer, apart from Budvar most bars only have about two or three other beers on tap, the place gets pretty repetitive. Great ciy for a lads session but **** you get pretty bored of drinking Pilsner Urquell (??) and Gambrinus (?) for a week straight.

Prague is the European centre stag parties, pissed up lads weekends and for one type of beer, pislner, they aren't really known for anything besides one or two styles of lager.

If you want to call anywhere the "European centre for beer" you might want to visit Brussels. Hell, even London would be a better place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

My ****ing arse.

If you served Budweiser to a beer snob out of an unmarked tap in a craft bar and told him on the menu it was a smooth, crisp beer brewed since 1892 in a Slovak monastery, the dopey hipster prick would be raving about it whilst simultaneously badmouthing Bud as commercial crap. I remember n article a while back when they gave critics Tesco branded wine and gave them another Tesco wine but with a fake label the critics slated the branded wine and raved about the unmarked Tesco wine.

Ha ha get a grip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

If Bud was presented with a description of being brewed in an overtly traditional non factory way since the dark ages do you doubt it would not be critically lauded?.

I don't give a **** about description, I care about taste and Bud tastes of nothing.

Seaneh wrote: »

And let me guess, some obsure Japanese rice brewed lager would go down a storm with the chin strokers, but because Bud is big, it's ****e.

Is there literally not one popular beer that is decent according to the snobs? What is so awful about the common mans tastes that the liKes of Heineken and Carlsberg have to apparently make themselves awful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

*shudder*

Hate Wetherspoons. Found myself in the Cardiff one once. It was an unnerving experience.

And let me guess, some obsure Japanese rice brewed lager would go down a storm with the chin strokers, but because Bud is big, it's ****e.

This has a relevance to your absolutely ridiculous claim how? Regardless, rice beer is gank, no matter where its from. Asahi is OK, but that's about it.

Bud does not taste anything like Budvar. If you think it does, your tastebuds are destroyed or non-existent.

Is there literally not one popular beer that is decent according to the snobs? What is so awful about the common mans tastes that the liKes of Heineken and Carlsberg have to apparently make themselves awful?

No, rice a cheap adjunct that **** breweries used to keep their production costs down and adds no flavour to a beer.

he reason Budweiser tastes like fizzy yellow sugar water is because it has **** all malt in it and a **** ton of rice.

aka, it's cheap tasteless ****e.

Carlsburg, Heiniken are like the mcdonalds of beer. They are low production cost, high profit, low quality, mass marketed ****e that people only buy because they recognise he brand name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

My ****ing arse.

Possibly. There are no doubt people who have latched onto the craft beer banter because its trendy without necessarily liking the beers.

In fact, the backlash against Wetherspoons is evidence of the dislike of large companies.

But no one who likes drinking ales would ever mistake Budweiser for an ale. I would never criticise Budweiser for being made by a big company, but I would criticise it because I don't particularly like its flavour or that style of beer. For example, I think the buy out of Fran Well by Coors is great and has seen Rebel Red become available countrywide.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Budweiser etc, nor am I saying that smaller breweries are better because they are smaller. I'm simply saying that the choice will be €3-4 per pint of a rotation cask ale - some good, some bad some very strange etc - which will always be different, or €5-6 for a pint of something that consistently tastes the same. I am astonished that people would pay more for a beer that certainly is no better than the beers in Wetherspoons, and in my opinion is significantly worse.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Of course they would.

Budvar is a highly regarded Czech beer.

Bud is regarded as yank toilet water.

Apart from the fact Budvar has slightly more of a kick to the taste due to its slightly higher alcohol volume Budweiser and Budvar taste nearly identical.

Try telling that to a beer snob. You'd have more chance of getting blowjob off the pope.

They're very different beers. Budweiser is made from rice as well as barley, budvar is not. I mean they are a noticeably different colour (unless you mean budvars pale lager).

But again, I wouldn't say Budweiser is toilet water, it's a perfectly fine light (flavour) beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Budweiser

It's Pís.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

All American beer is piss.

• Advertisement

If Bud was presented with a description of being brewed in an overtly traditional non factory way since the dark ages do you doubt it would not be critically lauded? I reckon within 100 years someone will set up a "real" Irish draught brand, and Guinness will become regarded as commercial touristy ****e that is contaminated by the Bud and other big names brewed in the same plant.

Well lambic beers are usually marketed as such, small brewery, traditional methods, wild yeast etc but as many beer drinkers hate the style as love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Witchie wrote: »
    I love Spoons. They cater well for veggies and celiacs which suits my family well so we often eat there in Enniskillen. Been in lovely ones in Liverpool, Brighton and London and wish they would open here. Good food at reasonable prices and a great selection of drink.

Whatever about the drink, the food in Wetherspoons is cheap, bottom-of-the-barrel muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

poisonated wrote: »

Ugh i will never set foot in one, they have absolutely no atmosphere, just a bunch of cookie cutter pubs

Stojkovic wrote: »

I am quite partial to black diamond, Sierra Nevada, goose island, flying dog, widmer bros, anchor, Brooklyn, some of the Sam adamses and I hear Russian river do good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Budvar tastes very unlike Budweiser.

The only thing they have in common is they are both light, pale lagers.

Correction : Budweiser Budvar is a light, pale lager
    Budweiser ( USA ) is light, pale, lager like substance

You obviously know nothing about beer.

Well lambic beers are usually marketed as such, small brewery, traditional methods, wild yeast etc but as many beer drinkers hate the style as love it.

I have yet to find a lambic I liked :-/

I like carlsberg, tuborg, Guinness, smithwicks, beamish, sometimes heinkien, tiger beer and I'm open to trying the local popular lager whenever I go abroad. I don't like Budweiser, bulmers, miller or coors light (lite?).

Then again, I'm only half a beer snob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Dogfish head and odells make some of my favourites, and there are plenty other fantastic American breweries.

So much wrong in this thread

• Advertisement

eCarlsburg, Heiniken are like the mcdonalds of beer. They are low production cost, high profit, low quality, mass marketed ****e that people only buy because they recognise he brand name.

Carlsberg is drinkable. I get serious headaches off something in Heineken, feck knows what but its passable until that happens. Nothing hugely wrong with either.

Advertisement