Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why are there no J D Wetherspoon pubs in ROI?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

murpho999 wrote: »
    £2 for a full breakfast would make me not want to eat it. Something that cheap cannot be good.

I suspect that £2 for a full breakfast is a tad optimistic, but the underlying point is that most pubs in the UK offer food and beer at a reasonable price for reasonable fayre! We have been ripped off for far too long in the ROI, and I for one welcome JDs into the Irish market along with cheaper food and a wide range of beers, at cheaper prices. http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7244/7073741313_9e00aa3b71_z.jpg

I would also imagine that all the local Irish micro breweries will be thrilled to have JDs here, so that they can have their Irish cask ales on the pumps? http://beerheadoverheels.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/irish_beer_main1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

No music. Decent selection of craft beer (hopefully). Nice comfortable seating. Plenty of space. Cheap grub. Good place to meet up with the mates. More of an impetus for the existing pubs to shape up and stop serving overpriced dishwater.

What's not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

£2 for a full breakfast would make me not want to eat it. Something that cheap cannot be good.

For the same reason i never will never eat the shíte that comes out of lidl or aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    For the same reason i never will never eat the shíte that comes out of lidl or aldi

Very snobby ignorant comment. Some of the stuff they do is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Going slightly off on a tangent here but what on earth makes you think that the produce that Lidl and Aldi sell is in any way shíte? Is it because they haven't been marketed to the moon? Is it price snobbery? Or do you view it as being somehow 'beneath' you?

Clearly the stuff they sell has met the standards required so that it can be sold in Ireland so it ain't shíte. Having said that, most food does eventually turn into shíte when we're done with it though :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 freshface2

The company does not like Ireland, so unlikely to have any pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Both Aldi and Lidl have thousands of stores.

This success is not based on selling "****e".

I can't understand this hostility towards Aldi/Lidl, or JD Wetherspoon.

OK, they are all the same, not much atmosphere, but the value is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

freshface2 wrote: »

Other than the one they've just bought? And the 29 more they intend to buy/open?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

See today's Irish Times, they are reporting that JD Wetherspoon plan to open several pubs in RoI.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

What company? Wetherspoons?

They have several bars in Ireland already in Belfast, Derry, etc.

They are in the process of acquiring 2 pubs in South Dublin right now and are looking to acquire another in cork as well with a medium term plan to have 30 pubs across the republic.

So obviously you're talking nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Funny the amount of people who think that cheap is a bad thing. When people talk about Ireland being a rip off they shouldn't blame the publicans/shop owners, they should blame themselves.

If Irish people want to pay €5-6 for a pint of heinkien when they can get a pint of an interesting and better made ale for €3-4, then it's their fault we get ripped off

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Deedsie wrote: »
    I just hope they don't have those horrible "fruity machines"... Not sure how well a chain of pubs would work here. They are kinda horrid in the UK. I have been to five different walkabout pubs throughout the UK over the years and every time it's the exact same, 50 TV screens screaming at you, a hose to spray soft drinks is a bit manky. The novelty fruity/punching machines. It would def have a niche here but not for me. If they bring down the price of a pint throughout the city they would have to be welcomed. €5.20 for a pint where I live. That's mental stuff.

They are not pubs though, franchise sports bars. About as satisfying or enjoyable as a trip to McDonalds or Pizza Hut

I hope you don't drink pints so, imagine how manky a pipe running up from the cellar is..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Why? Because they are all "own brand" cheap products? I've come across some brands in those shops that you would find in German supermarkets that aren't Lidl or Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Funny the amount of people who think that cheap is a bad thing. When people talk about Ireland being a rip off they shouldn't blame the publicans/shop owners, they should blame themselves.

If Irish people want to pay €5-6 for a pint of heinkien when they can get a pint of an interesting and better made ale for €3-4, then it's their fault we get ripped off

Not to mention €3 for a coke or fanta. Bad and all that that is, I think the €1.50 that I was charged for for a pint of cordial while I was eating food last week was scandalous. Kick up the arse that Irish pubs need.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I really try to eat healthy.
    For what it's worth I buy stuff in Lidl all the time and their quality is very very high.
    Irish supermarkets have just been charging higher prices and it had nothing to do with quality.
    You cannot compare Lidl/Aldi quality in this case.

A Weatherspoon's breakfast composed of many parts and being cooked by staff must be composed of cheap and low quality food to be sold for £2.

However, Lidl selling individual food items cheaper than Superquinn, Tesco or Dunnes is being competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

A Weatherspoon's breakfast composed of many parts and being cooked by staff must be composed of cheap and low quality food to be sold for £2.
    I've never seen a £2 breakfast, unless it's basically just a sausage samwidge.

I've had the breakfast in witherspoons and it's certainly not the worst. I had a read of their own magazine at the time. They claim they buy direct from farms, with the size of them I'd believe it. Witherspoons have buying power and that would allow them to offer meals quite cheaply. I'm not saying it's great food but for the price of a mcdonalds meal you can get something pretty decent and fairly healthy in witherspoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

ScumLord wrote: »
    I've never seen a £2 breakfast, unless it's basically just a sausage samwidge.

I've had the breakfast in witherspoons and it's certainly not the worst. I had a read of their own magazine at the time. They claim they buy direct from farms, with the size of them I'd believe it. Witherspoons have buying power and that would allow them to offer meals quite cheaply. I'm not saying it's great food but for the price of a mcdonalds meal you can get something pretty decent and fairly healthy in witherspoons.

Comparing a Weatherspoons meal to a McDonalds meal is not a good reference point to be honest.

I have had a look at their menu on the website and it's far from healthy. Especially the large breakfast.

Weatherspoons Menu
    To their credit, they show all the fats and calories etc of every dish and the food is no different to the average much served in most Irish pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

I think these will be huge success in Ireland if they get their pricing right. Most Dublin city centre pubs charge extortionate prices. Vintners federation will probably
    do their best to stop it happening though as they're a bit like a cartel when it comes to alcohol pricing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Imagine what a Wetherspoons on Eden Quay or Talbot St would be like! I'm sure such a company does their homework on catchment areas and clientele though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

ROI?
    We didn't all cram into the GPO to be called ROI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

diomed wrote: »
    ROI?
    We didn't all cram into the GPO to be called ROI.

How does Southern Ireland or Eire work for you then? Fussy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    How does Southern Ireland or Eire work for you then? Fussy!
    British Isles innit mate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I had westherspoons for breakfast when I went to the NEC. It was quite nice

dd972 wrote: »
    Imagine what a Wetherspoons on Eden Quay or Talbot St would be like! I'm sure such a company does their homework on catchment areas and clientele though.

Not really, they've some rough as feck ones in the UK. They're more concerned about architecture from what I've seen - they have some fantastic looking buildings, very often old banks.

I use them for food and maybe a few drinks in the evening if in the UK for work. I wouldn't ever consider going out to one as a local; but they usually have the effect of reducing prices and sometimes even increasing quality at nearby pubs which have to try compete. They also remove some of the undesirables from the local pubs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

My ****ing arse.

If you served Budweiser to a beer snob out of an unmarked tap in a craft bar and told him on the menu it was a smooth, crisp beer brewed since 1892 in a Slovak monastery, the dopey hipster prick would be raving about it whilst simultaneously badmouthing Bud as commercial crap. I remember n article a while back when they gave critics Tesco branded wine and gave them another Tesco wine but with a fake label the critics slated the branded wine and raved about the unmarked Tesco wine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

My ****ing arse.

If you served Budweiser to a beer snob out of an unmarked tap in a craft bar and told him on the menu it was a smooth, crisp beer brewed since 1892 in a Slovak monastery, the dopey hipster prick would be raving about it whilst simultaneously badmouthing Bud as commercial crap.

No, they wouldn't.

So stop talking ****ing nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Seaneh wrote: »
    No, they wouldn't.

So stop talking ****ing nonsense.

Of course they would.

Budvar is a highly regarded Czech beer.

Bud is regarded as yank toilet water.

Apart from the fact Budvar has slightly more of a kick to the taste due to its slightly higher alcohol volume Budweiser and Budvar taste nearly identical.

Try telling that to a beer snob. You'd have more chance of getting blowjob off the pope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

My ****ing arse.

If you served Budweiser to a beer snob out of an unmarked tap in a craft bar and told him on the menu it was a smooth, crisp beer brewed since 1892 in a Slovak monastery, the dopey hipster prick would be raving about it whilst simultaneously badmouthing Bud as commercial crap. I remember n article a while back when they gave critics Tesco branded wine and gave them another Tesco wine but with a fake label the critics slated the branded wine and raved about the unmarked Tesco wine.

Whatever about the tesco wine but that is complete bull. Your basically saying Bud tastes like craft beer?? Get real.

Of course they would.

Budvar is a highly regarded Czech beer.

Bud is regarded as yank toilet water.

Apart from the fact Budvar has slightly more of a kick to the taste due to its slightly higher alcohol volume Budweiser and Budvar taste nearly identical.

Try telling that to a beer snob. You'd have more chance of getting blowjob off the pope.

After about ten other beers, someone might get confused.

If you think those two taste the same otherwise, you need to get your tongue examined, urgently. The fact that they're not even made of the same ingredients might be a very obvious indicator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

My ****ing arse.

i sort of agree with you. I think a lot would notice the difference, but i'm sick of getting a lecture from hipster craft beer drinkers. It's not like i go around telling them Budweiser is so great.

Advertisement