Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why are there no J D Wetherspoon pubs in ROI?

Options
1434445464749»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Gotta say I avoid them like the plague. All the patrons I've seen in them places are ugly as f*ck. I'm not ending up like that by consuming whatever they're selling there. Had a dinner there once and a beer or two, never again. Except that time I went again just to be sure then I said never again again.

Are you serious? The talent in both the Blackrock and Dun Laoghaire ones is unreal!! (that even includes some of the employees) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

anncoates wrote: »
    Having two outlets in Dublin city centre will be excellent as the current two are a bit out of the way for a lot of people.

The building they are linked with in Abbey Street should make a very nice space and will be a welcome boost to that part of town which is a bit dead and shabby.
    Is it the place opposite the Abbey Theatre (The Plough, I think)? It's been closed a couple of years now, and would be a great location.

Where else are they going in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,564 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Is it the place opposite the Abbey Theatre (The Plough, I think)? It's been closed a couple of years now, and would be a great location.

Camden St up by the Camden Court Hotel, afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

The building on Abbey Street is actually the original Trustee Savings Bank building opposite the theatre. Lovely building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Yeah supposed to be the old trustee savings bank. Nice old building. Will be good to see it in use.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

I was in the 40 foot before, very nice pub. Then I was in the Wetherspoons that took over the spot, what the **** did they do to the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

noway12345 wrote: »
    I was in the 40 foot before, very nice pub. Then I was in the Wetherspoons that took over the spot, what the **** did they do to the place?

Got people to go into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

noway12345 wrote: »

Served decent drink in a convivial premises at a reasonable price, the perfidious Brit bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

kingtut wrote: »
    Are you serious? The talent in both the Blackrock and Dun Laoghaire ones is unreal!! (that even includes some of the employees) ;)

I've only frequented them when in England. They weren't places that I would want to be seen in over there. However, standards must be lower in Ireland if people think they're great?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,564 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Mint Aero wrote: »
    I've only frequented them when in England. They weren't places that I would want to be seen in over there. However, standards must be lower in Ireland if people think they're great?

Do you go to pubs to be seen in them or to sample the fare on offer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

JDW have a whole host of outlets in the UK and if those some will not be as nice as others. How nice a pub is is often closely associated by the people who use it and where its located also what time.of the day it it.
    It does seem that JDW is keen to put out a good image in Ireland for its pubs - this can only be a good thing.
    Its the same old story if people allow their preconceptions to rule them JDW will always be seen as a rubbish pub chain to them amd they'll always find fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭GSF

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    They vary wildly in ambience and atmosphere in England. So for example, the one Greenwich is quite nice whereas the one in Lewisham is a kip.

Haven't been in a few years and I hear Lewisham has gentrified a lot in the last few years so that may be an outdated assessment.

I presume that they enter into 20 or 25 year leases on premises so there may be a case that they dont spend any money on premises where the leases are expiring soon. Plus of course different areas attract different types of punter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Been in the ones in Derry and Belfast many many times and they are competitively priced and well run with great specials every day.

They will be a great addition as the greedy publicans have had their own way for years.

More than welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Have been to the one in Blackrock and was very well run, up market and on part with the likes of Porter House which seem to be the only decent brand of pubs in Dublin. Only differences was price between the two, food and alcoholic drinks for two people and still change out of 20€, great if you ask me. Can wait till they open more that are in a more central location.

Advertisement