Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why are there no J D Wetherspoon pubs in ROI?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I can't wait til they open up in Temple Bar and give the robbing Bastards there a kick up the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I can't wait til they open up in Temple Bar and give the robbing Bastards there a kick up the arse.
    Id say publicans there in particular will do all that they can to delay their opening... Put in spurious objections like the Irish tradition of paying E7.45 for a pint of piss...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Temple Bar is run by the Temple Bar Trust. I'd say it will be a cold day in hell before the publicans of Temple Bar would allow JDW open a pub there. I'd still love to see them open up nearby, it really would be fun to sit back and watch.

Camden St venue will be rammed with the Coppers crowd getting mangled before heading there. I'd say a lot of pubs around there aren't too happy, especially the oul boy pubs, JDW will hoover up the pensioner trade in that area with cheap prices IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Geuze wrote: »
    For information...........

(1) Blackrock, Co. Dublin - open July 2014
    (2) Dun Laoghaire - to open this week (Dec 2014)
    (3) Cork city centre - to open early 2015
    (4) Blanchardstown - on website, opening soon, say early 2015

The above four pubs are on www.jdwetherspoon.ie as of today.

Swords - bought Old Boro pub, announced

Cork suburbs - Douglas - PP application submitted

Waterford city - Arundel Square / Broad street - just a rumour so far?

Dublin city centre - Camden street - confirmed in news media today.

A JD spokesman on local radio in Waterford confirmed the above for Waterford. 40/45 jobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Where I told you in the Wicklow forum!
    Well holy God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,185 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Four pubs open between July 2014 - Spring 2015 is good going so far, I think.

And four more confirmed in the pipeline, at various stages.

The expansion continues..............

Here are the menus for the two open pubs:

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/ThreeTunTavernDec14.pdf

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/FortyFootDec14.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

''I'd like to borrow 20K please''

Bank Manager - ''Are you building a house extension?''

''No, I'm just having a few with the work crowd in the Oliver St John Gogarty''

• Registered Users Posts: 23,911 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Temple Bar is run by the Temple Bar Trust. I'd say it will be a cold day in hell before the publicans of Temple Bar would allow JDW open a pub there. I'd still love to see them open up nearby, it really would be fun to sit back and watch.

Camden St venue will be rammed with the Coppers crowd getting mangled before heading there. I'd say a lot of pubs around there aren't too happy, especially the oul boy pubs, JDW will hoover up the pensioner trade in that area with cheap prices IMO.

Fortunately, thats not how it works. And if JDW bought an existing premises in Temple Bar, there would be very few issues planning wise.

The talk in Dun Laoghaire is that the Heineken row was precipitated by the local vintners coming out in a cold sweat and putting pressure on Heineken Irl (money talks after all)

Wetherspoons would equally be able to withstand any local shenanigans in Temple Bar - they are of a scale that no Irish group would have any leverage to tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Was over in the Dub Laoghaire one on Sunday for the pre opening... the place is really nice and even though we got free food and drink it looks like it'll be 2.95 for a pint when it opens which is very very decent. They didn't have any many big name brands, though for me that isn't an issue as most of them are crap anyway. The staff were really great and the food was alright too. Big thumbs up from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Four pubs open between July 2014 - Spring 2015 is good going so far, I think.

And four more confirmed in the pipeline, at various stages.

The expansion continues..............

Here are the menus for the two open pubs:

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/ThreeTunTavernDec14.pdf

Well, this is going to change things. Interesting times ahead.

• Advertisement

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Was over in the Dub Laoghaire one on Sunday for the pre opening... the place is really nice and even though we got free food and drink it looks like it'll be 2.95 for a pint when it opens which is very very decent. They didn't have any many big name brands, though for me that isn't an issue as most of them are crap anyway. The staff were really great and the food was alright too. Big thumbs up from me.

Here is the menu:

16 beers on draught, if all available. Plus two ciders.

Bitburger is one of the biggest selling beers in Germany, Staropramen is big in Czech and elsewhere.

Fuller's London Pride is a big brand, well known beer.

Sharp's Doom Bar is a big seller, in the UK.

Now what's missing are the locally brewed (Dublin/Cork) "brands" produced by Diageo and Heineken Irl, e.g. Heineken, Carlsberg, Budweiser, etc.

However, I count 6 lagers on draught, as well as 2 stouts.

Wetherspoons would equally be able to withstand any local shenanigans in Temple Bar - they are of a scale that no Irish group would have any leverage to tackle.
    yeah its fantastic! There is absolutely nothing they can do to stop their march! I am done with drinking Heineken now totally too, would sometimes buy a few cans for pre drinks etc, no way now...
    Now what's missing are the locally brewed (Dublin/Cork) "brands" produced by Diageo and Heineken Irl, e.g. Heineken, Carlsberg, Budweiser, etc.

look at what they have in bottles though, Erdinger E2.95, 640ml Tsingtao for the same price!!! E1 coffee and free unlimited refills before 2pm! One of the best things to come out of the crash is spoons being able to pick up properties at a rate they deem it worth entering the market at...

If Wetherspoons continue this rapid expansions, I have a feeling Irish tastes will change very quickly, particularly at those prices...

If they couldnt get temple bar, one on Dame street could do very well...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Idbatterim wrote: »
    If they couldnt get temple bar, one on Dame street could do very well...

Yep. The Mercantile would be a cracking fit if they could somehow pick that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Thread title is VERY misleading, there is in fact J D wetherspoons in roi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Thread title is VERY misleading, there is in fact J D wetherspoons in roi

it wasnt when the thread started last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

look at what they have in bottles though, Erdinger E2.95,

I generally drink Erdinger and some of the prices that people charge, especially in Dublin city centre, are beyond scandalous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Those prices will be like a bomb thrown into the cosy rip off cartel in Temple Bar if they move in.

Bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

anncoates wrote: »
    Those prices will be like a bomb thrown into the cosy rip off cartel in Temple Bar if they move in.

Bring it on.

It'll be phenomenal tbh.

My favourite thing about these pubs also... No poxy music. Its great not having to shout at people all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

anncoates wrote: »

Bring it on.
    Jaysus, the prices of the Innis & Gunn, and the London pride is cheaper than buying it in the supermarket. :eek:

Not many Irish beers but I see the one Irish beer they do have is one of the more expensive. I like to buy Irish and like the Irish beers on the market but the price of them is just annoying to the point it turns me off buying them. I can get award winning beers from thousands of miles away cheaper than I can get a beer from 30 miles away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

look at what they have in bottles though, Erdinger E2.95

Wow hope they do open up one in the City Centre soon at those prices! Getting tired of paying €5+ for those in a certain other chain of bars!

I could be wrong but would the tax have something to do with their cheap prices here compared to the UK? They've been campaigning for equal taxation in supermarkets and pubs so maybe unlike here the UK has higher taxes in pubs?

I could be wrong but would the tax have something to do with their cheap prices here compared to the UK? They've been campaigning for equal taxation in supermarkets and pubs so maybe unlike here the UK has higher taxes in pubs?

No.

Excise here is a little bit lower than the UK.

VAT is 3% higher at 23%, vs 20% in the UK.

Overall, there isn't much difference in the taxes.

Why beer is dearer here is that the brewers charge more to their Irish customers than their UK customers, as they are dominant here, and face less competition.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Jaysus, the prices of the Innis & Gunn, and the London pride is cheaper than buying it in the supermarket. :eek:

Not many Irish beers but I see the one Irish beer they do have is one of the more expensive. I like to buy Irish and like the Irish beers on the market but the price of them is just annoying to the point it turns me off buying them. I can get award winning beers from thousands of miles away cheaper than I can get a beer from 30 miles away.

Three 33cl bottles from 8-degrees brewers in Mitchelstown for 2.45.

You have a fair point though, it's a bit disappointing to see a lack of Irish-made draught beer.

Why aren't O'Hara's / Galway Hooker / GBB sole there, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Well GBB are the Heineken of the craft world. They aren't going to do a deal with them so they can undercut their own pubs. Don't know about the others though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You have a fair point though, it's a bit disappointing to see a lack of Irish-made draught beer.

Why aren't O'Hara's / Galway Hooker / GBB sole there, I wonder?
    I was looking forward to a pint of ESB too, I know it's not Irish but I smile everytime I order a pint of it in England.

There are plenty of Irish beers now, wetherspoons is pretty good at selling craft brews in England I hope they start the same thing over here. It could give some of the smaller brewers a leg up to be able to supply the chain. I'm sure being small means they have much higher overheads and there's a hump in there for any small business to get over to get into bigger sales. The fact Irish craft beers don't seem to be able to get a look in with ordinary Irish pubs means they should be falling over themselves to get into wetherspoons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I used to get the ferry from Kent to France, buy a couple of crates of beer made in Kent, because it was half the price in Calais.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

A JD spokesman on local radio in Waterford confirmed the above for Waterford. 40/45 jobs!

Glad to hear that, of all Irish cities Waterford has been the once that has been most devastated by the recession so great to hear 50 odd locals will be getting back into work.
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    Fortunately, thats not how it works. And if JDW bought an existing premises in Temple Bar, there would be very few issues planning wise.

I'm not sure where you're getting this from, I'm open to correction but AFAIK the Temple Bar Trust strictly controls what kind of businesses are allowed to lease premises in Temple Bar. Thats why there is so many quirky shops there, the Trust delibritely sets out to attract this type of tenant as they want the area to have an alternative feel to it. They were also recently involved with a protracted sispute over the signage that Supermacs used and AFAIK they are now forcing Supermacs to change their entire shop front as they feel that Supermacs did a cheap and tacky job and its bring the area down (if that's possible!). As I said I'm open to correction but my main source of this is Frank McDonald, the Environmental editor in the Irish Times who lives in Temple Bar himself and has been writing about the vice like control the publicans have on what happens in Temple Bar. According to him the Temple Bar Trust takes orders from the publicans which is why I said I think it will be a cold day in hell before JDW are let anywhere inside Temple Bar. They are certainly free to buy a premises but if it isn't already a pub then they need planning permission to make it into one, you would quickly have objections from every publican in Temple Bar to DCC, the sad thing is they would be listened to too IMO.
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    The talk in Dun Laoghaire is that the Heineken row was precipitated by the local vintners coming out in a cold sweat and putting pressure on Heineken Irl (money talks after all)
    yeah its fantastic! There is absolutely nothing they can do to stop their march! I am done with drinking Heineken now totally too, would sometimes buy a few cans for pre drinks etc, no way now....

That Heineken thing annoyed me too and I drink it from time to time, I might review that. In the same way the Dun Laoighire publicans can turn up the heat on Heineken so too should Irish drinkers of Heineken by contracting them on their Facebook page and letting them know you're not happy they're not supplying JDW and their appeasement of Dub Laoighire publicans is literally going to drive your beer money into the hands of other breweries as a consequence.

• Advertisement

No.

Excise here is a little bit lower than the UK.

VAT is 3% higher at 23%, vs 20% in the UK.

Overall, there isn't much difference in the taxes.

Why beer is dearer here is that the brewers charge more to their Irish customers than their UK customers, as they are dominant here, and face less competition.
    Yeah I know there's differences between here and there, but do you know why Wetherspoons in the UK talk about wanting parity between taxation in supermarkets and beers over there?

Advertisement