Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why are there no J D Wetherspoon pubs in ROI?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Popped into The a Forty Foot in Dun Laoghaire for a look on Sunday afternoon, they've done a pretty nice redevelopment to be honest.

And it was absolutely packed. Two large floors completely full.

We didn't end up staying as it was so busy there was an hours wait for food.

The VFI are a shower of hypocritical dicks so I'm glad other pubs might have to try and compete for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,741 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So it's just a coincidence then.

Yes Roisin Shortall was harping on about it for her entire time as junior minister for health and Alex White took up that crusade after she left the Labour party and took over from her in that position back in June 2012 this is not something new that has popped up due to JD, also FF are the publicans party not FG or Labour

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

http://www.thejournal.ie/poll-drink-too-cheap-1863544-Jan2015/
    Alcohol Action Ireland is calling for Minimum Unit Pricing to be introduced immediately.

Meanwhile, the Sunday Independent reports that Fine Gael TD Mary Mitchell O’Connor said that such cheap pub prices should be outlawed adding that it’s ‘putting lives at risk’.

I notice locally that these 'at risk drinkers' prefer to use local benches to partake in their drinking,they wouldn't be allowed stand outside a pub let alone go into it.It wouldn't matter if the pints were €1 or €100 they wouldn't be in the establishments.
    Another case of influence from the VFI on politicians methinks.

How many here that drink in JD's have seen people drinking themselves into a stupor day after day? None I bet,you're more likely to see drunken messiness in Temple Bar where a pint is about double the price or more in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Minimum pricing in pubs is nothing more than Fine Gaels brand of corporate welfare

• Registered Users Posts: 34,159 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If a minimum price really is supposed to be for health reasons, then the minimum price per unit will be the same whether in a supermarket, conventional offie or in a pub

If the minimum price is different for different types of outlet, and/or different types of drink, well you can draw your own conclusions there.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

JD Wetherspoon expanding to The Great Wood, in De Blanch on June 23rd, then The Old Borough, Swords on July 21st and spreading cheap pints to The Linen Weaver, Cork on September 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

they could get prince charles to open one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Excellent bump! Reminds me to get a night out arranged in the Three Tun Tavern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

I live in the UK, travel for work and love my Wetherspoons. Cheap and cheerful, usually tasty, know what I'm getting, good club deals, wifi and usually manage to find a seat with a socket beside it when needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

They've got a place bought on Abbey St (Dublin) too. And it's looking like Hanlons (of Hanlons cross fame) has been bought by them too. Whooooop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Excellent bump! Reminds me to get a night out arranged in the Three Tun Tavern.

It's actually a really nice pub inside.

Cienciano wrote: »
    It's actually a really nice pub inside.

Oh here, I know - I was not been sarcastic! Had a couple of great nights in there already this year....wish i lived closer to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Oh here, I know - I was not been sarcastic! Had a couple of great nights in there already this year....wish i lived closer to it!

I was visiting the school of applied social science in UCD this year for a thingy and afterwards someone suggested drinks, to which several of the department bods responded "to spoons it is so" and all got excited.

Tisn't just the riff raff going there either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Gotta say I avoid them like the plague. All the patrons I've seen in them places are ugly as f*ck. I'm not ending up like that by consuming whatever they're selling there. Had a dinner there once and a beer or two, never again. Except that time I went again just to be sure then I said never again again.

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Gotta say I avoid them like the plague. All the patrons I've seen in them places are ugly as f*ck. I'm not ending up like that by consuming whatever they're selling there. Had a dinner there once and a beer or two, never again. Except that time I went again just to be sure then I said never again again.

You, generally, seem to be far out of touch with reality, so I doubt many people take your analysis too seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

You, generally seem to be far out touch with reality so I doubt many people take your analysis too seriously.

Your loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Wetherspoons would be in the same league as ryanair.

Providing choice and competition for prices?

That can only be a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Yes of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Gotta say I avoid them like the plague. All the patrons I've seen in them places are ugly as f*ck.
    Maybe you were just drinking the weaker beers?

• Advertisement

The Irish ones do seem to be more upmarket then the UK ones I have been to. Wish one would open nearer me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The decent steak and many pints I had with four friends in one last Friday night, while enjoying a good atmosphere and very nice eye candy, tells me that I am very firmly in the Ryanair demographic

Bombay sapphire and tonic, 2 x glasses pinot grigio, 1 pint cider, 1 pint ale - €17.20. Sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Real ale festival on at the moment. Looks like some decent supping from the flyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

The Irish ones do seem to be more upmarket then the UK ones I have been to. Wish one would open nearer me.

They vary wildly in ambience and atmosphere in England. So for example, the one Greenwich is quite nice whereas the one in Lewisham is a kip.

Haven't been in a few years and I hear Lewisham has gentrified a lot in the last few years so that may be an outdated assessment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    the one Greenwich is quite nice whereas the one in Lewisham is a kip..

Imagine that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

keano_afc wrote: »
    Real ale festival on at the moment. Looks like some decent supping from the flyer.

You mean the sale on bottles/cans this week, all at 1.95.

See here:

https://www.facebook.com/TheThreeTunTavern/photos/a.732572413448708.1073741828.723713404334609/915258715180076/?type=1&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

First two opened in 2014.
    Three more to open during 2015.

And five more sites purchased / confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They seem to have a few different models in the UK. They have their cheap drink holes, ones that are mainly for a lunch crowd, more upmarket looking ones and ones that are in preserve historically significant pubs.

They do make some effort to have the pub fit the clientele and the area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Having two outlets in Dublin city centre will be excellent as the current two are a bit out of the way for a lot of people.

The building they are linked with in Abbey Street should make a very nice space and will be a welcome boost to that part of town which is a bit dead and shabby.

Advertisement