Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why are there no J D Wetherspoon pubs in ROI?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Good post Muhahaha.
    Glad to hear that, of all Irish cities Waterford has been the once that has been most devastated by the recession so great to hear 50 odd locals will be getting back into work.

I think it will be very interesting in Waterford, as if it is put centrally Waterford is very compact, it will be very interesting to see the effect it has. With Dublin it is going to take a hell of a lot more pubs to see what the effect is. I.e one in Blackrock or Dun Laoighare wont effect ones where I am in Dundrum for example (or if they do, the effect would be negligible), and I am not even too far away... Hopefully in Dublin they put several in the centre and a lot in the suburbs, could only imagine the business they would do in Rathfarnham, Dundrum, Churchtown, Sandyford and everyone of them could conceivably take one...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The Waterford location couldn't be more central to the shopping area. Its a great location, its away from the late bar area as well. Couple of more pubs have changed hands in the area as well so looking like theres going to be a bit if choice for shoppers and 30 somethings night dwellers :) at long last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

do they have the same prices in all their pubs

or will the Dublin city centre pubs charge more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

nokia69 wrote: »

There are regional price differences in the UK. For example there is a difference between the prices in central London and Wales of the midlands, but it's not huge. I doubt there will be much, if any, price chance between Dublin county, Dublin CC and Ireland in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I'm not sure where you're getting this from, I'm open to correction but AFAIK the Temple Bar Trust strictly controls what kind of businesses are allowed to lease premises in Temple Bar. Thats why there is so many quirky shops there, the Trust delibritely sets out to attract this type of tenant as they want the area to have an alternative feel to it. They were also recently involved with a protracted sispute over the signage that Supermacs used and AFAIK they are now forcing Supermacs to change their entire shop front as they feel that Supermacs did a cheap and tacky job and its bring the area down (if that's possible!). As I said I'm open to correction but my main source of this is Frank McDonald, the Environmental editor in the Irish Times who lives in Temple Bar himself and has been writing about the vice like control the publicans have on what happens in Temple Bar. According to him the Temple Bar Trust takes orders from the publicans which is why I said I think it will be a cold day in hell before JDW are let anywhere inside Temple Bar. They are certainly free to buy a premises but if it isn't already a pub then they need planning permission to make it into one, you would quickly have objections from every publican in Temple Bar to DCC, the sad thing is they would be listened to too IMO.

Those particular corrupt incompetent shysters are no longer an issue. Although this being Ireland I am sure more will emerge as soon as the vacancy arises.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/temple-bar-trust-to-be-wound-down-by-the-end-of-the-year-30549569.html

Muahahaha wrote: »
    That Heineken thing annoyed me too and I drink it from time to time, I might review that. In the same way the Dun Laoighire publicans can turn up the heat on Heineken so too should Irish drinkers of Heineken by contracting them on their Facebook page and letting them know you're not happy they're not supplying JDW and their appeasement of Dub Laoighire publicans is literally going to drive your beer money into the hands of other breweries as a consequence.

I'd be more inclined to tweet them thanks for prompting JDW to ditch their piss water in favour of better beers. I do like the odd Murphy's but am confident at least one of the 2 imported stouts will be a fine substitute. I haven't tried either but Marstons do some good keg beers for a major brewer and I had a few nice pints in a Bath Ales pub in Bristol a while back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

ScumLord wrote: »

Not many Irish beers but I see the one Irish beer they do have is one of the more expensive. I like to buy Irish and like the Irish beers on the market but the price of them is just annoying to the point it turns me off buying them. I can get award winning beers from thousands of miles away cheaper than I can get a beer from 30 miles away.

they have more actual Irish beers than most pubs.

8 Degrees make fantastic beers, absolutely great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,226 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yeah I know there's differences between here and there, but do you know why Wetherspoons in the UK talk about wanting parity between taxation in supermarkets and beers over there?

Yes, I have heard about that.

Excise in the UK is the same no matter how the beer is served.

Same for VAT.

What they want is lower VAT on food sales, which is 20% in UK pubs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/leisure/9932066/JD-Wetherspoon-calls-for-tax-parity-with-supermarkets.html

Note that VAT on food sales here is at the lower rate of 13.5%, not our 23% rate.

nokia69 wrote: »

Same in two pubs so far.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes, I have heard about that.

Excise in the UK is the same no matter how the beer is served.

Same for VAT.

What they want is lower VAT on food sales, which is 20% in UK pubs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/leisure/9932066/JD-Wetherspoon-calls-for-tax-parity-with-supermarkets.html

Note that VAT on food sales here is at the lower rate of 13.5%, not our 23% rate.

Is it not 9.5% tourism rate? That's what McDonald's charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There are regional price differences in the UK. For example there is a difference between the prices in central London and Wales of the midlands, but it's not huge. I doubt there will be much, if any, price chance between Dublin county, Dublin CC and Ireland in general.
    I've been to them in London and Birmingham. Birmingham is known for it's discount everything and beer is cheap there. When I went in they were doing 3 bottles of beer (Budweiser shyte) for the price of one. In London the prices where higher but still reasonable, not as expensive as a pint in Dublin. They didn't do the same 3 for 1 offers but the price of beer was good and the food was decent.

The price of beer is pretty reasonable across the UK though, I went to a heritage pub in some English town on the way back to the ferry and even that pub selling it's own beer brewed in the same vats that the Romans used was less than 3 pounds and this pub was a tourist trap.

I hate chain anything, I think it tends to erode quality and hurts suppliers due to the pressure big chains can put on small suppliers but in Ireland I think it's a good thing. We have an awful way of doing business here where companies seem to charge as much as the next guy rather than go into competition with them.

I don't see wetherspoons taking over in Ireland, they're pretty soleless eateries that also serve beer, I'd go in there for one or two (if I had the option) but I think I'd go elsewhere for the craic. They definitely should shake up the comfortable number that big wig pub owners have benefited from over the past decade or two. The economic crisis put pressure on pubs to change for the better of their customers, wetherspoons will force that change down their throats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Was in new Dun Laoghaire one yesterday. What a fantastic setup. Great rices on the food. I ordered a pint of Doom Bar, was lovely. Missus had a pint of Thatchers Gold and was impressed and so was I, and 3 soft drinks for the weans. All less than €11. Unreal. The sooner they open the better, this is like a Lidl/Aldi pub opening and battering the old school grocery mob cartels. Happy days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 Leeleather

ScumLord wrote: »
    I've been to them in London and Birmingham. Birmingham is known for it's discount everything and beer is cheap there. When I went in they were doing 3 bottles of beer (Budweiser shyte) for the price of one. In London the prices where higher but still reasonable, not as expensive as a pint in Dublin. They didn't do the same 3 for 1 offers but the price of beer was good and the food was decent.

The price of beer is pretty reasonable across the UK though, I went to a heritage pub in some English town on the way back to the ferry and even that pub selling it's own beer brewed in the same vats that the Romans used was less than 3 pounds and this pub was a tourist trap.

I hate chain anything, I think it tends to erode quality and hurts suppliers due to the pressure big chains can put on small suppliers but in Ireland I think it's a good thing. We have an awful way of doing business here where companies seem to charge as much as the next guy rather than go into competition with them.

I don't see wetherspoons taking over in Ireland, they're pretty soleless eateries that also serve beer, I'd go in there for one or two (if I had the option) but I think I'd go elsewhere for the craic. They definitely should shake up the comfortable number that big wig pub owners have benefited from over the past decade or two. The economic crisis put pressure on pubs to change for the better of their customers, wetherspoons will force that change down their throats.

Buildings don't have souls, you can have "the craic" anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Those prices are insane. Those craft beer bottles are cheaper than in an off licence. The only way I could see normal pubs competing would be by clubbing together and bulk buying from craft breweries, but I don't see that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Leeleather wrote: »

Yes.

And no.

Buildings, and public spaces, can be designed to help encourage certain feelings, moods etc.

If you have a pub which is just one big room, the atmosphere won't be the same as if that room is broken up into sections, nooks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Those prices are insane. Those craft beer bottles are cheaper than in an off licence. The only way I could see normal pubs competing would be by clubbing together and bulk buying from craft breweries, but I don't see that happening.

Exactly it would require innovative thinking which the VFI and it's members are incapable of

The VFI and it's members are of the opinion that publicans are entitled to an income simply because they own a pub.

It's ok for them to not to run promotions, do things that other businesses do to drum up business - all they should have to do is open their doors.

If any publican dares to innovate they slap him down. If the government want to protect lives by lowering the drink driving limit, they are attacking livlihoods of the publicans, if they stop smoking in enclosed spaces, they are attacking the livlihoods of the publicans.

It stinks, and finally they are been shown for the monopolisitc bastards they really are.

Truth is this, there are two pub chains on this island that are growing, being innovative and offering choice - JDW and The Galway Bay lads who've just announced expansion into Limerick (already thriving in Galway & Dublin, and word is they are looking at London).

The rest are stuck in the dark ages, relying on tired old sameness - same drink, same experience and expecting people to accept that.

Well, no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Lucena wrote: »
    Yes.

And no.

Buildings, and public spaces, can be designed to help encourage certain feelings, moods etc.

If you have a pub which is just one big room, the atmosphere won't be the same as if that room is broken up into sections, nooks etc.

Plenty of Spoons pubs have 'nooks' and plenty of non-Spoons pubs don't.

Wetherspoons tend to buy buildings of character anyway. Old theatres, libraries, post offices, etc. In Ireland so far they've bought old Irish pubs which, one assumes, were not called "soluless" or "one big room" before they were bought out.

@Beefy78

I agree with you, I'm not saying Spoons are lifeless, that will depend on the premises.

I was just disagreeing with the fact that you can have 'crack' anywhere.

Lucena wrote: »
    I was just disagreeing with the fact that you can have 'crack' anywhere.

A building doesn't make the crack, company does. Always has.

Any group that needs loud music, blaring sports or anything other than a few people and a few jars to have a good time - well then, I'd actually call that group of people the soul-less vacuous ones, not the venue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

The Galway Bay pubs can go do one. Outrageous prices for Irish beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Now that there is a Weatherspoon in Ireland ,why is this thread still going ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,243 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The VFI and it's members are of the opinion that publicans are entitled to an income simply because they own a pub.

It's ok for them to not to run promotions, do things that other businesses do to drum up business - all they should have to do is open their doors.

If any publican dares to innovate they slap him down. If the government want to protect lives by lowering the drink driving limit, they are attacking livlihoods of the publicans, if they stop smoking in enclosed spaces, they are attacking the livlihoods of the publicans.

It stinks, and finally they are been shown for the monopolisitc bastards they really are.

Truth is this, there are two pub chains on this island that are growing, being innovative and offering choice - JDW and The Galway Bay lads who've just announced expansion into Limerick (already thriving in Galway & Dublin, and word is they are looking at London).

The rest are stuck in the dark ages, relying on tired old sameness - same drink, same experience and expecting people to accept that.

Well, no more.

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,243 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Beaner1 wrote: »

They provide a diverse range of quality products; good food and well kept and comfortable establishments. They are expensive, but they are offering quality and choice for the price. I think there will always be a market for such things.

The issue we should have is when we are being charged expensively for a non quality offering that offers little or no choice. And it is precisely that which Weatherspoons will challenge.

Beaner1 wrote: »

compared to what?

Join Beoir and enjoy 50c off 20 pints in the pubs. That's your €10 membership right back into your pocket.

If people sat down and compared price of alcohol, the GBB Beers actually work out quite well compared to fizzy yellow swill served up in normal pubs, tbh.
    You can drink fewer GBB pints, and get the same amount of alcohol into your system, so it actually costs less to get just as pissed.

:)

A building doesn't make the crack, company does. Always has.

Any group that needs loud music, blaring sports or anything other than a few people and a few jars to have a good time - well then, I'd actually call that group of people the soul-less vacuous ones, not the venue.

I agree with you up to a point, I personally don't like the loud music, sports, tellies, etc. but building design will influence the crack. Obviously the main component will be the people, but the decor and lay-out will influence that significantly. People are influenced by their surroundings.

Is it not 9.5% tourism rate? That's what McDonald's charge.

Sorry, correct, special lower 9% V A T rate for tourism, catering, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Geuze wrote: »
    Here is the menu:

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/FortyFootDec14.pdf
    Bitburger is one of the biggest selling beers in Germany, Staropramen is big in Czech and elsewhere.

They've got Bitburger ! :)
    *grabs coat and walk pass boss towards the door*

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Leeleather wrote: »
    The building does create an atmosphere, but any wetherspoons I've gone to in the UK has been fairly quiet, which is grand and like I said I'd start off with pints in there have a chat and so on in peace but eventually I might like to go to somewhere louder, especially once I start to get drunk.

I don't know if the Irish are prepared for the style of pub Wetherspoons is, they won't be jamming people in the doors, in England they'd turf you out for being too loud, over here that's just the barmans way of knowing when to line up the shots.
    It's ok to like having a quiet pint, but it's also ok to want something a bit louder too. At least Wetherspoons will offer up an alternative option and make the quiet pint acceptable again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

compared to what?

Join Beoir and enjoy 50c off 20 pints in the pubs. That's your €10 membership right back into your pocket.

If people sat down and compared price of alcohol, the GBB Beers actually work out quite well compared to fizzy yellow swill served up in normal pubs, tbh.
    You can drink fewer GBB pints, and get the same amount of alcohol into your system, so it actually costs less to get just as pissed.

:)

Or go to a wetherspoons.

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    Or go to a wetherspoons.

but JDW doesn't sell the GBB drinks - so it's all about choice, and thank the good baby jesus for choice.

I already frequent the GBB pubs, and thoroughly enjoy them, and as soon as JDW is convenient for me to frequent, I shall begin to patronise them also.

I'll be in the Forty Foot this weekend as it happens, for food and drinks, with a good crowd of people who I know will be great fun, even without the 120db chart music blasting out, or re-runs of EPL games playing on the TV.

Advertisement