Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under The Dome [CBS - US] [** Spoilers **] (Warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The odd thing.....although the show has been heavily bashed, it still looks like there is interest in the next season.

This is my "I'm too tired to do anything productive and just want to zone out for 40 minutes show". How I Met Your Mother will be finished soon so this is coming back just in time :p

I do have a small hope that it can turn things around and become the show I hoped it would be. Knocking off some of the weaker characters would be a great start. Also, the NEED to get the outside world involved. There's no other way to introduce new characters unless the drastically divert from the source material. They can't just keep pulling the "living in cabin/island/cave" trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,519 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The actress who plays Linda has signed on to another pilot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The actress who plays Linda has signed on to another pilot
    Piloting the Hindenburg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

Piloting the Hindenburg?

zing! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I see that Sherry Stringfield from ER has signed on to UTD for a pivotal role, striker maybe? :D Nah i enjoyed her on ER & more the second time she joined it, as i saw it again recently on SkyAtlantic

'Under the Dome' returns to CBS on June 30.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

I see that Sherry Stringfield from ER has signed on to UTD for a pivotal role, striker maybe? :D Nah i enjoyed her on ER & more the second time she joined it, as i saw it again recently on SkyAtlantic

'Under the Dome' returns to CBS on June 30.

Summer fluff....switch off yer brain tv, not much else on in the Summer so it does the job. :)

Finially getting around to this, kept meaning to watch the show but the fact that it was extended beyond a single series put me off. Saw it on amazon prime so figured I'd give it a chance. Four episodes in and enjoying it though it's really little more than a warmed up retread of Jericho. So far we've had the fire episode, the "we heed medicine" one, the reluctant hero on a manhunt and the reluctant hero whose involved in something way out there. Thankfully here the writers do enough to lift the material far above the realm of soap opera.

The characters, while one dimensional and stock are all interesting and seem to be more than just what they appear on the surface. There's depth here that allows us to care for the characters and invest in their situations though psycho Junior is one of TVs least convincing bad guys. He comes across more cartoonish than scary and I really want the shoe to spend less time on him. Big Jim is fun but we really need to see him be a bit more sadistic and inhumane, his relationship with the reverand is one of the shows oddest and most enjoyable aspects.

Just finished episode 10 and I'm genuinely disappointed that nobody thought to title the episode Under the Thunderdome. Seems like a no brainer though the shows complete lack of a sense of humor means that such a thing is unlikely.

I'm really torn on the show. On one hand we have such a great set up with some genuine mystery but on the other we gave worst afternoon soap opera story telling imaginable. The show seems to enjoy spending time concentrating on crape like the emergency baby delivery, the riot episode, the underground fight club, etc. It's lazy, uninspired and not all that interesting. The ongoing mystery of the dome seems to simply be thrown in every other episode and we really need to see more of it, though I'd like to see less of Joe.

There's some genuinely stupid moves by the people in charge, leaving a body to rot in a diner is up there with the all time wtf moments. And the ongoing propane storyline needs to have some sort of closure, big Jim is a good character but we really need to see him let loose and be the monster we all know he is. Same for Junior, either have him indulge his crazy or just put a bullet at the base of his skull. He has to be TVs biggest cry baby and is like a pkktly written 13 year old girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just finished episode 10 and I'm genuinely disappointed that nobody thought to title the episode Under the Thunderdome. Seems like a no brainer though the shows complete lack of a sense of humor means that such a thing is unlikely.

I'm really torn on the show. On one hand we have such a great set up with some genuine mystery but on the other we gave worst afternoon soap opera story telling imaginable. The show seems to enjoy spending time concentrating on crape like the emergency baby delivery, the riot episode, the underground fight club, etc. It's lazy, uninspired and not all that interesting. The ongoing mystery of the dome seems to simply be thrown in every other episode and we really need to see more of it, though I'd like to see less of Joe.

There's some genuinely stupid moves by the people in charge, leaving a body to rot in a diner is up there with the all time wtf moments. And the ongoing propane storyline needs to have some sort of closure, big Jim is a good character but we really need to see him let loose and be the monster we all know he is. Same for Junior, either have him indulge his crazy or just put a bullet at the base of his skull. He has to be TVs biggest cry baby and is like a pkktly written 13 year old girl.

I think the whole show would've been better if it was a mini-series that actualy stayed true to the plot of the book. Also it should've been on HBO or Showtime, because CBS just can't show some of the best parts of the book.
    Don't let the show put you off reading the novel, because apart from the very basic premise and character names, they're not at all alike.

I think the whole show would've been better if it was a mini-series that actualy stayed true to the plot of the book. Also it should've been on HBO or Showtime, because CBS just can't show some of the best parts of the book.
    Don't let the show put you off reading the novel, because apart from the very basic premise and character names, they're not at all alike.

Half read the novel when it came out but like mist of King's output in recent times it wasva novel desperate for an editor to come in and cut away the fat. I kept picking it back up over the years but much like the unabridged version of The Stand, it didn't seem worth the effort.

• Advertisement

Finished up series 1 and those final 40 minutes were amongst the most unsatisfying in a long time. It was little more than a series of relevations and twists that I didn't care for in the least. The show went to great lengths to build a link between the two domes only to throw it out the window. The lack of internal logic felt like the writers making it up as they go along.

The whole hanging is beyond stupid. Are we to believe that a town full of people, including the sheriff would allow a man to be hung based solely on the word of a single man. I understand that Big Jim is the towns head but the sheriff knows that he's involved in a huge drug operation and as such should be less than trusting of him.

My biggest fear for series two is that the writers will see the ratings for series 1 and assume they're doing everything right. There is so much potential in the set up but the writing is really uninspired.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I watched two episodes of this having read the book and I've been very, very disappointed. It went off-plot in the very first scene and continues to diverge, some of the acting is appalling, and it feels like it's been done on a tight budget. Should I just stop now and start something else?

EDIT: I should have mentioned that I was befuddled when I saw it had been renewed on Wikipedia, when I assumed it was going to be a one season affair, and laughed when I had a peek at the description of the final episode. I'm guessing the answer is yes, just wondered if anyone actually like it more than anything else.

rovoagho wrote: »
    I watched two episodes of this having read the book and I've been very, very disappointed. It went off-plot in the very first scene and continues to diverge, some of the acting is appalling, and it feels like it's been done on a tight budget. Should I just stop now and start something else?

EDIT: I should have mentioned that I was befuddled when I saw it had been renewed on Wikipedia, when I assumed it was going to be a one season affair, and laughed when I had a peek at the description of the final episode. I'm guessing the answer is yes, just wondered if anyone actually like it more than anything else.

It has its moments but overall is quite a poor show. It's cheesy, over the top, poorly written and is riddled with weak actors/characters. Still though, it's oddly interesting, from a standalone point of view and as a reader of the book (mostly because I'm waiting for
    the Barbie/army angle to kick in
    )

This will never be a great show and it's an opportunity missed but it's mindless fluff and fairly entertaining. Would have been so much better as a 1 season (6-11 episode) show that stuck to the source material.

I agree. Deleted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I watched two episodes of this having read the book and I've been very, very disappointed. It went off-plot in the very first scene and continues to diverge...

Is it worth reading the book or is there still enough similarity that'd it'd ruin what good there is in the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The book was good, classic King small town stuff, the tv series absolutely butchered it, glad I read the book first but its still a good read even if you've watched the show, Junior and Big Jim etc are way better in the book.

Yeah, the book would in no way "ruin" the TV show :) The TV show parted ways with the source material a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Good stuff, I'll have to give the book a read so :)

Just to echo what they said, it's typical King fare, not earth-shattering but still entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Kings stuff usually makes sense and avoids obvious cliches, Under the Dome was a nonsensical mess with every cliche and trope they could think of crammed in there with some of the worst actors we've seen in a modern series.
    Just to echo what they said, it's typical King fare, not earth-shattering but still entertaining.

'Under the Dome' Season 2 Premiere: New Episodes Have 'A Few More Teeth' As Stephen King Becomes More Involved?

King insists that he set out to "give it a few more teeth; give the characters even bigger challenges. So that's what we did. We're going to places that TV series don't often go. This is not gonna be all sunshine and light."

Indeed, the clips of the premiere episode shown in the behind-the-scenes video show the town of Chester's Mill under great destruction. The Dome has some new telekinetic powers and it has proceeded to show off its power on the townspeople. In a new clip, the Dome rips a large bell out of the church and pulls it towards the edge of the dome, as if the bell has become magnetized.

season 2.1 Heads Will Roll – New Sneak Peek

c

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Had completely forgotten about this show. Will hopefully be a bit of an improvement this series.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ooooooo... it's back. Excellent. Set two weeks after the Dome came down, me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Kayly

I cant find the start date for Ireland of season 2, can anyone enlighten me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Staplor

Well Season 2 episode 1 was ****. Glad this started up where it left off.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,519 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Kayly wrote: »
    I cant find the start date for Ireland of season 2, can anyone enlighten me please?

brian_t wrote: »
    DigiGuide are showing a double bill of Under the Dome S2 E1 and S2 E2 on RTE2 at 8.30pm on Thursday 10th July

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Killing off characters that have no real impact other than the fact they killed off 2 good looking ones, assuming Angie's dead.
    So that girl the dome in human form?

Nice to see the dome being less subtle to Jim as opposed to when it's just hinting to the others

How long until Junior turns bad again?

Was trying to remember where I saw that teacher before. How could I not remember her being in Misfits?! Some Misfits aren't doing too bad really.

And a Stephen King cameo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Staplor

Those would probably be spoilers, but for the fact the only names I know are Big Jim, Junior and Barbie.

Advertisement