Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under The Dome [CBS - US] [** Spoilers **] (Warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

calex71 wrote: »
    Stephen King was responsible for both The Stand and Under the Dome ;)

Might that be why I suggested he wouldn't sue ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Finally got round to watching the final two episodes. Quite possibly the the strongest back to back episodes the show has had... while still containing loads to complain about :)

The dark side of Big Jim was handled brilliantly I thought, from killing Dodee after hearing the army chat about Rev. Coggins (interesting how they are going to get around that if/when the army get involved in season 2) to kidnapping and threatening the kids, right up to trying to murder Barbie in front of an angry mob.

Likewise, I think Junior really grown back into the role in these last two episodes. Great ending in the second last one at the edge of the dome. He is one character that the writers have managed to handle consistently well. He's totally mind fcuked between Angie and his Dad.

As for the Dome itself, not a bad ending. They got it open, Julia is the monarch, lots of light shows & the dome went black (that was quite cool) but ultimately, the egg is now gone and all we got was a cryptic message from what I assume is an alien that the dome is protecting Chesters Mill. It was entertaining brain-dead stuff which, IMO, was designed to be cryptic enough to intrigue while also allowing the writers to come up with something better for season 2. That ending is a massive clean slate for them, they can go anywhere from here that they want and just say, "the egg/dome did it".

Of course, there is the ever present bad side to the show... aka. Linda, the most useless cop in the world. The whole thing with her and the mini dome was laughable, "this is police property now". I don't know what it is exactly about her but she is a pathetic character and is portrayed as nothing more than Big Jim lap dog. She never seems to have an independent thought of her own. She didn't even seem that bothered at the sight of the gallows. In second place, exposition boy Joe was at it again. What a jump to conclusion that they had to get the butterfly out before it injures itself... or WORSE :eek: :rolleyes:

Here's hoping they use the clean slate to revamp the show for season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Bacchus wrote: »
    As for the Dome itself, not a bad ending. They got it open, Julia is the monarch, lots of light shows & the dome went black (that was quite cool) but ultimately, the egg is now gone and all we got was a cryptic message from what I assume is an alien that the dome is protecting Chesters Mill. It was entertaining brain-dead stuff which, IMO, was designed to be cryptic enough to intrigue while also allowing the writers to come up with something better for season 2. That ending is a massive clean slate for them, they can go anywhere from here that they want and just say, "the egg/dome did it".

Here's hoping they use the clean slate to revamp the show for season 2.

How does that ending give them a clean slate?

Dempsey wrote: »
    How does that ending give them a clean slate?

Perhaps clean slate isn't quite the right term but they have given themselves a huge amount of wiggle room to work in a fresh story/angle to the whole thing.

For a start, a whole can of worms has been opened with what the egg/dome/monarch can/cannot do. We've seen the dome go into blackout, a butterfly choose the monarch, ghost alien Mom give a cryptic warning and pink stars shoot up from the lake turning the dome white. The episode pretty much tore down any boundaries on what is/isn't plausible in the show. Critically also, it ended with the dome 'white', not transparent. Big symbolism for cocoon/change there IMO.

The drastic occurrences at the dome and the warning gives a convenient reason for the army to come back and be more involved. I never understood why they left in first place but this warning that the dome is protecting the town could easily be spun into bigger problems in the outside world if they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Well just lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

I had no idea that the last episode was a season finale......
    had been waiting for a new episode and couldnt understand why there was nothing out,

Underwhelmed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Having read the book i had high hopes for this show. But they sanitised it so much my 9 year old could watch it!
    Not watching it anymore! Peaky Blinders is way better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I would love to know how big this town is. .....

Chester's mill has a population of approx 2000 people
    The area under the dome is 78.53982 square miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

Its out of sync tonight, I mean really out of sync

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

Really hard to look / watch tonight : so out of sync

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

Even the ads are OOS, must be an RTE2 issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Even the ads are OOS, must be an RTE2 issue

It isn't just my UPC box so!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Yes, some of the acting is shocking (Natalie Martinez as Linda the sheriff is a simply woeful)

maybe, but she's gorgeous :)

every TV show needs its eye candy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

shedweller wrote: »
    Having read the book i had high hopes for this show. But they sanitised it so much my 9 year old could watch it!
    Not watching it anymore! Peaky Blinders is way better!

Read the book a few years ago and was looking forward to this, but this series is truly awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

fryup wrote: »
    maybe, but she's gorgeous :)

every TV show needs its eye candy

Yip, she is the worst actor in it and there's a bit of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I liked this TV series, yes it has its flaws but I found it enjoyable as something different and something to not take too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

RobertKK wrote: »
    I liked this TV series, yes it has its flaws but I found it enjoyable as something different and something to not take too seriously.

Thats exactly the way to take a show like this.

Plus its a story by Stephen king, they usually translate weirdly to a tv/movie screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Having watched the show a couple of weeks ago with double ep, was looking forward to the finale, & wondering who else next is to get the bullet by Big Jim & u wonder where Junior is gonna with next, we have Julia as the monarch, but now she's dropped the ball, so to speak what's next i wonder?

It was an inconclusive finale, no doubt they knew leading to another season & Linda being the first casualty i bet in the next season as she's so gullible in front of Big Jim!
    I liked it more or less & probably tune into the next season, but some it was really daft & i hear Stephen King is gonna write the first ep, let's hope it gets off to a good start & Barbie gets off the hook, if you'll excuse the pun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭blue note

FFS, I thought we'd get some sort of conclusion for the series finale. I don't know why I watched the thing. It was very mediocre throughout, I thought every week that it looks like it would be a great book and I was just ruining it by watching the series.

I doubt I'll tune in for another series.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,597 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Eddie Cahill (CSI NY) and Karla Crome (Misfits) join for Season 2 Source

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Eddie Cahill (CSI NY) and Karla Crome (Misfits) join for Season 2 Source

Wasn't gonna bother with Season 2, but if Karla Crome is gonna be in it, I'll have to reconsider

• Registered Users Posts: 85,597 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Under the Dome will kill off some of its residents in the Season 2 premiere, and the list of potential victims just got shorter. Exec-producer Neal Baer tells TV Guide Magazine that two of the following six players will say goodbye: Sheriff Linda (played by Natalie Martinez), Norrie (Mackenzie Lintz), Norrie’s mom Carolyn (Aisha Hinds), DJ Phil Bushey (Nicholas Strong), slacker kid Ben (John Elvis) and hoarder Andrea (Dale Raoul)

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Under the Dome will kill off some of its residents in the Season 2 premiere, and the list of potential victims just got shorter. Exec-producer Neal Baer tells TV Guide Magazine that two of the following six players will say goodbye: Sheriff Linda (played by Natalie Martinez), Norrie (Mackenzie Lintz), Norrie’s mom Carolyn (Aisha Hinds), DJ Phil Bushey (Nicholas Strong), slacker kid Ben (John Elvis) and hoarder Andrea (Dale Raoul)

Oh their just teasing us that they might
    kill off Linda
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I think its pretty clear at this stage that the writers and directors hate the audience too much to kill off that stupid bitch.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It's going to be
    the DJ and the skateboard kid.
    . Can't be Linda as she is pretty central to the story. She may have been given acting lessons in her down time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Please be
    Linda
    , Please be
    Linda
    x 1,000,000 :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The odd thing.....although the show has been heavily bashed, it still looks like there is interest in the next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The odd thing.....although the show has been heavily bashed, it still looks like there is interest in the next season.

I think its like watching a car crash in slow motion. You know you shouldn't but your eyes stay glued to see how bad the damage will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭blue note

Boom_Bap wrote: »

It should be a good show. The characters and story in the first series could have made for a great series, but it just never quite came together. I think people watch it in hope that it will pick up.

• Advertisement

I personally enjoy the story and how it's unfolding, it helps me ignore the backgound issues that people have brought up. It could be executed much better, but it's still engaging.

Advertisement